Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWINTER MADNESS!! PA's Battle of the Bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:36
Check your brackets! We've got the updates here. Who's still got the perfect one?

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=456329
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:39
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Check your brackets! We've got the updates here. Who's still got the perfect one?

ClapClap thanks man!!!

If I had this to do over... well we are next year with the battle of the albums...  I want to try it like the bracket contests.  See who has best bracket and see about some price!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:49
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

ClapClap thanks man!!!

If I had this to do over... well we are next year with the battle of the albums...  I want to try it like the bracket contests.  See who has best bracket and see about some price!
Personally, if I had to do this over, I'd do it all over you. Tongue Though dammit, I wish DT didn't have to lose to that album.

But yes, that would be a great addition for next year. It will be much harder to predict all the upsets through the tourney than to vote and guess who'll be the final four.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 15:21
hey.. take some solace in that (unlike ELP did years ago) DT at least lost to a great band not some 2nd or 3rd division team.  It was an interesting matchup and one I really did think would be closer though obviously 180 deg different in terms of style, tastes, and numbers of great albums LOL

We will definitely do that for the album contest. If done correctly... by  the voters.. it doesn't necessarily have to be what the band contest will be, and will always be, the same 4 or 5 groups at the end.

Those groups are judged by careers.. the entirety of their output. With albums, it only takes one moment of brilliance not even from one of the biggest groups to go a long way.. or all the way.  There are many great prog albums done by artists not even considered to be prog artists in the first place. It could be a real hoot and would be anyway just for what you said.. the early rounds.. but the end game is not necessarily written in stone as they are with the group contests.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Not how I will vote in every case, only my guess:

same here. How I see them, not how I'll likely vote.

Genesis will face VDGG in a round 2 matchup 

Genesis (Tight but not much)

yeah.. Vegas has them as a 10 vote favorite. Slim for such a 'top' seed. More a sign of respect to VDGG and  their fans.

Cynic will face Renaissance (LOL) in a round 2 matchup

Renaissance (Long distance)

Big Time Renaissance romp!! ! hahaha

Traffic will face PFM in a round 2 matchup

PFM (Very tight)

I love Traffic Ivan, but against PFM..  PFM definitely but don't think it will be tight. The early board in Vegas has PFM as 20 vote favorites.

Marillion will face Jethro Tull in a round 2 matchup.

Poor Marillion will be slaughtered

BIG TIME SLAUGHTER!!! LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 20:15
Rome 1st round closing tomorrow morning and then Lima and Rome 2nd round take off.

Get your Rome votes in now while you can. Several tight ones still

Hawkwind up by 2 on Magma
Henry Cow up by 1 on Sigor Ros
Uriah Heep up by 4 on The Mars Volta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 06:58
one hour left in the 1st Round Rome matches.

Vote now if you haven't!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 08:05
and Rome 1st Round is closed.

Now updating and tabulating.. and breaking any ties if we have them
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 08:15
Final results Rome 1st Round matches

2nd round matches begin this morning.

King Crimson - 56 / Can - 14
Uriah Heep - 34 / The Mars Volta - 29

King Crimson will face Uriah Heep in the 2nd round.

Procol Harum - 34 / IQ - 27
Focus - 40 / Kraftwerk - 26

Procol Harum will face Focus in the 2nd round.

Tangerine Dream - 44 / Supertramp - 33
Sigur Ros - 28 / Henry Cow - 26

Tangerine Dream will face Sigur Ros in the 2nd round

Hawkwind - 42 / Magma - 41
Caravan - 66 / Dream Theater - 21 LOLClap

Hawkwind will face Caravan in the 2nd round

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:13
Damn, Henry Cow out.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:15
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Damn, Henry Cow out.

I will take responsibility for that Ian. LOL  Though someone did cast the deciding vote. I just tied it last night with the Cow up by 1. I flipped the a coin, plus was swayed a bit by the whining of one of those postie collabs about the lack of love those groups are getting going against (and losing) to the oldies LOL
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:20

I thought about voting for THe Cow, but felt that actually, what small amount of SR I have heard was good enough to put me off voting one way or t'other.  No vote.  So partly my fault too.  Nice to have some newer bands left as well.
Help me I'm falling!
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:40
Maybe the Avant / Zeuhl guys should of whined so more, we've lost Samla (on a too late vote from Ivan), Univers Zero, Henry Cow & Magma, with only UZ being beaten by more than 2 votes. The only one we have left is Frank Zappa & he's more of an individual unique outlier in the avant scene, "He's not in a sub-genre, he's Frank Zappa".

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 14 2014 at 09:41
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:46

Maybe the Avant / Zeuhl guys should of whined so more, we've lost Samla (on a too late vote from Ivan), Univers Zero, Henry Cow & Magma, with only UZ being beaten by more than 2 votes. The only one we have left is Frank Zappa & he's more of an individual unique outlier in the avant scene.

yeah...  whoever the field commander was of the Rio-Avant forces should be sacked.  One has to FIGHT!! It is a battlefield out there LOL Those were winnable matches.  You could have had my vote in any of those.. all it would have taken is an ELP vote in return WinkLOL

It is quite something just how tight all of those really were. Many of the most fun and interesting have involved those bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:54

Maybe the Avant / Zeuhl guys should of whined so more, we've lost Samla (on a too late vote from Ivan), Univers Zero, Henry Cow & Magma, with only UZ being beaten by more than 2 votes. The only one we have left is Frank Zappa & he's more of an individual unique outlier in the avant scene.

yeah...  whoever the field commander was of the Rio-Avant forces should be sacked.  One has to FIGHT!! It is a battlefield out there LOL Those were winnable matches.  You could have had my vote in any of those.. all it would have taken is an ELP vote in return WinkLOL

It is quite something just how tight all of those really were. Many of the most fun and interesting have involved those bands.

Too much time spent in the Officer's Mess.  I've seen him propping up the bar boasting about how he didn't need to bother in the early rounds as the Rio guys would get through easily.  Complacency on the battlefield I believe. 
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Too much time spent in the Officer's Mess.  I've seen him propping up the bar boasting about how he didn't need to bother in the early rounds as the Rio guys would get through easily.  Complacency on the battlefield I believe. 

LOL  now why didn't the Camel Commander do that Clap
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 10:29
It's probably more a comment on the relatively small size of the avant-head contingent and the polarizing nature of the music to some.
Ian

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 10:32

It's probably more a comment on the relatively small size of the avant-head contingent and the polarizing nature of the music to some.

oh yeah no doubt Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 10:40

oh yeah no doubt Clap

THat's as maybe. But, it really doesn't help having a commanding officer who spends most of hims time in the mess arrogantly bragging about the superiority of the Rio forces.  Or, and I have seen this to, vainly preening and shining his boots up to a standard to which he can see his own reflection (to check his buttons and medals) in. 

So much more important to lead your troops into battle if in reality, you are starting from the bottom of the hill!
Help me I'm falling!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 10:43
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away, away. When danger rears it's ugly head. He bravely turned his tail and fled.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>