Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 09:39
Welcome to PA!  I like the dark stuff too.

A couple of Italian bands come to mind, based on your list.  You're from Italy, maybe you know them already.  Devil Doll (80s) is very dramatic and dark, with a vocalist who likes to sound like Gollum from time to time.  Jacula (early 70s) is an interesting pipe organ-based fusion of dark church music and occasional metallic guitars, with a charismatic female vocalist.

On the more metallic side, if you don't mind things getting a bit weird, try early Harvey Milk (especially Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men) - slow, tortuous, and very experimental metal.  Slightly more accessible is Boris, who aren't on PA as a prog band but they're close enough to recommend here.  They really run the gamut stylistically, but their earliest drone-metal efforts are very dark indeed.

I also highly recommend Univers Zero's Heresie album if you haven't heard it already.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2014 at 09:25
Hi everyone.

Given my mood lately, I thought I could use some dark and gloomy music. I've listened to a lot of VdGG, but I struggle to find other bands with such a convoluted and "serious" sound. I would like to ask you some suggestions for what I like to call "dark prog". I don't mind heavy music.
Here's what I've been listening to recently:
  • VdGG
  • Peter Hammill
  • "Red"-era King Crimson
  • Kayo Dot
  • maudlin of the Well
  • Leprous
  • Devin Townsend
  • The Gathering
  • A Silver Mt. Zion
  • Parallel or 90 Degrees
  • 65daysofstatic
  • Agalloch
  • Indukti

Any suggestion is welcome, thank you in advance for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789