Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rd 1 Portland Bracket: Pink Floyd v. Mike Oldfield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRd 1 Portland Bracket: Pink Floyd v. Mike Oldfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who is your band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
63 [75.90%]
20 [24.10%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 08:56
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

it occurred to me that when you get down to the big 4 or 5 a lot of people wont be able to vote.

It's going to get all Sophie's Choice in here

hard choices .. but part of what I like about many of these early rounds are we are getting those hard choices from the get go with a few exceptions.

Besides even when we get down to the final 4 or even final 8. We all respect the biggies... but we are still have our favorites.  We do identify ourselves as 'Genesis Fan' 'Yes Fan' 'K.C. fan' doesn't mean we don't like the others (for the most part LOL) but most know who they are going to vote for when it comes down to the heavies.

This tournament will likely be just the big dance. The real fun is the early rounds, looking for the Cinderellas and possible upsets but as in all tournament.. the cream will rise above the chaos and we will likely have heavies winning all 4 regions and facing off against each other. Just like the big dance.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 09:03
I like seeing the differences in the musicians here, and the non playing fans ..

very different approaches to the music.

I can eat a good meal and not care less how it got that tasty - but a chef will sit down to that meal and crap all over it for various reasons.

that's my approach to music - I have no musical talent so I can really only appreciate the end product - clueless as to how it got that way.

I'm completely unable to intellectualize music and i'm in awe of the knowledge on this forum .. 
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

I like seeing the differences in the musicians here, and the non playing fans ..

very different approaches to the music.

I can eat a good meal and not care less how it got that tasty - but a chef will sit down to that meal and crap all over it for various reasons.

that's my approach to music - I have no musical talent so I can really only appreciate the end product - clueless as to how it got that way.

I'm completely unable to intellectualize music and i'm in awe of the knowledge on this forum .. 

Clap  I can really dig what you are saying. My wife and myself are perfect examples.  My wife has zero knowledge of music theory and never once picked up an instrument while I've played for many years and have a solid knowledge base of music theory.

Yet who really is the better reviewer, a much better person to discuss music with, much more able to get at the heart of a band, an album, a particular musical nuance?

My wife.  To me, and I do agree completely with you, it is ONLY the end product that counts and all that matters. It may be prog but it still just music.

Music is meant to be felt, to be experienced..to touch and stimulate not to be dissected and studied like a cadaver. 

Cheers Walton and welcome to the forum. The key to a forum are the people and yes, this forum has some of the neatest, friendliest and smartest people you'd ever meet.  We have met many live and in person and have found all to be even more so in real life LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 09:15
thanks, I appreciate it ..

I used to belong to movie forums but for some reason they attracted unpleasant people like moths to a flame.
I like the laid back - but intelligent vibe here ..

but seriously - you guys are already costing me money :)

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:17

It's not often I vote for Floyd in these polls, but I'm not a big fan of Mr. Oldfield's music either, so I will this time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234