Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have you introduced people to Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How have you introduced people to Prog?
    Posted: December 05 2014 at 14:53
It's not often that we get a chance to introduce prog to non prog music fans, but it does happen from time to time. How have you introduced people to prog? And if you've never had the opportunity, how would you do it?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 15:01
Sledgehammer.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 15:05
For the longest time I've always racked my best friend's ears and brains with all the music I discover, prog or not. He has enjoyed most of what I've given him from all corners.

It all started when I mentioned offhand how crazy the Softs' "Facelift" was, and then I just walked him through whatever albums I happened to listen to.

I specifically remember him saying of Hybris that the opening sounded horrifying, and then after that it became a kickin', Swedish Rush kind of sound.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 15:05
I am sneaky about it. I slide it in amongst other more mainstream sounds. Other times a use a sure fire grabber like Diablo Swing Orchestra.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 15:11
I don't think I was ever really successful at it, so I stopped trying.  The hard sell approach is definitely out, because people don't like new types of music forced on them.  Their instinct is to reject it.  It has to happen more organically or not at all.  Which means, don't try.

I guess my 9 year old daughter is an easy target.  She still thinks I'm the bees knees so I have a window of a few more years still where I can brainwash her.

Edited by HolyMoly - December 05 2014 at 15:12
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 15:12
For myself, I usually try to find a common denominator like metal and then bring up prog metal, or if it's someone that's got the unplugged acoustic bug, I bring up or play a band like POS unplugged.

It's like fishing. So times you get a bite and sometimes you don't.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:10

Hi,

I don't anymore.

In the old days, I thought that I knew music better than anyone else, and once you suck it up and learn how assinine that is, specially in a place like this, you will not be a good person to share any "music" out there at all. 

In essense, not just for me, but for everyone else, the music has to "show up at your door" and "knock your sox' off" ... or you will forget it within a year!

The best stuff will remain with you, good or bad, for many years ... and it shouldn't surprise you to see so much music last this long and be talked aoubt so well. I can tell you how all of us arrived at knowing that piece, or that piece, in completely different ways, and in my case, very few people can tell me to listen to something ... that's not to say they are right or wrong, they are right more often than not, but almost all music for me is about my feeling and reaction, not someone else's!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:49
Where I work, there was a young dude driving the delivery van, Jerome. He's a clean-cut kid, doesn't smoke weed or anything, I happened to ask him what he listens too. He was nuts about Queen and especially Radiohead. He also mentioned Sigur Ros, and some other bands I didn't expect. I started bringing in some discs, like Ozrics, Spock's Beard, VDGG, Anglagard, Flower Kings, PT, Hawkwind, even a Jannik Top CD I have - he went bonkers over De Futura !! Some things he didn't take to, but he was impressed with most of what he heard. Shame he left (for a better job) - last time he came in to work he had a Pineapple Thief album on his iPod. I suppose he was already half-way there with Prog, but he realised just how much interesting music is out there. Job done !!
I tried to do the same with Tristan, who took over from Jez, lent him Spock's Beard (Brief Nocturnes...) it baffled him. Tried Ozrics on him and he just made fun of it.......I gave up then and there.

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 05 2014 at 16:54
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:34
Hundreds.

When you have hundreds of students in front of you, they are a captive audience and they can't walk out, unless they wish to face my wrath. When I needed some music for some reason, they got prog.

Funnily enough. loads became fans.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 18:40
I've tried to introduce prog to family and people I know but it never works. They just end up thinking I have really weird taste in music. I remember one time I tried letting my friend listen to some and he acted as though there was something wrong with me for liking this type of music. Considering that he also once told me "the thing that sucks about classical music is that you can't bump it in a car" and "the Beatles suck because they're British", I knew not to take him seriously.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 18:55
i haven't - until tonight

Played Misplaced Childhood beginning to end in the car for my son on our drive home 

he liked it ..

he plays guitar and he's just started to pick up keyboards ... hopefully he'll be inspired.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 19:05
Never had that chance. A few months ago I gave a friend a lift and I was playing Birds and Buildings loud and proud... I think he almost threw up. LOL
I met some who are into Metal, but unfortunately I can't recommend any Progressive Metal.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 19:52
^ Yeah--  you don't "introduce people to prog", it doesn't work.   They have to come to it themselves.   Gateway bands as Floyd and Tull help but ultimately no one gets it until they do.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 20:17
I listen to the contemporary prog much more than any other music, and when my friends come to my home, they have to listen to the same music that I listen to. Sometimes they like something of that; e.g. iamthemornig have received the most positive comments in the last two years, actually far more than all the other bands.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 21:01
^ OK, ye men of music obscure and abstruse, let me introduce you all to the finest Appalachian No-nonsense Grassroots Blue Prog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEs4Um6ANys

Perfect for decontaminating your head after binging on Raven Is Refuse That Stinks and such. I must mention that since this video Della Mae have upgraded their bassist to a tallernext door beauty:) 

Edited by Argonaught - December 05 2014 at 21:16
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 21:14
I don't.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 22:19
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ OK, ye men of music obscure and abstruse, let me introduce you all to the finest Appalachian No-nonsense Grassroots Blue Prog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEs4Um6ANys

Perfect for decontaminating your head after binging on Raven Is Refuse That Stinks and such. I must mention that since this video Della Mae have upgraded their bassist to a tallernext door beauty:) 
LOL! I think you did not understand me.
I do not force my friends to listen to what I'm listening to (usually while preparing a nice dinner for them, and I know how to cook very well) but if they do not like the music, they can only leave my home; however, it's never happen.

Edited by Svetonio - December 06 2014 at 01:39
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 03:04
Camel - Mirage and something good to smoke
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 03:28
Very carefully. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 03:31
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Camel - Mirage and something good to smoke
What, a Marlboro ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>