Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:03
only at 3.30 min here
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:04
Well, I seem to remember a time when the "progginess" (a word I hate btwWink) of Uriah Heep was questioned. Personally, I find them pleasant but somewhat repetitive. TMV, on the other hand, clicked immediately with me - though I am well aware that they are not for everyone. Anyway, the point I wanted to make in my previous post has not so much to do with TMV as with the alarming trend among prog fans to play it safe. This is one of the reasons why many genuinely exciting modern progressive acts shun the traditional "prog" circuits, and get a lot of exposure at events that have a wider target audience.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:05
Glad you liked your first sampling of TMV.  In that case, would suggest the album itself, Deloused in a Comatorium.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Well, I seem to remember a time when the "progginess" (a word I hate btwWink) of Uriah Heep was questioned. Personally, I find them pleasant but somewhat repetitive. TMV, on the other hand, clicked immediately with me - though I am well aware that they are not for everyone. Anyway, the point I wanted to make in my previous post has not so much to do with TMV as with the alarming trend among prog fans to play it safe. This is one of the reasons why many genuinely exciting modern progressive acts shun the traditional "prog" circuits, and get a lot of exposure at events that have a wider target audience.

I think, seeing as Kati is enjoying Drunkship of Lanterns just now, somewhere the popularity of bands like TMV has ebbed.  It took me aback when I realised I would have to actually introduce somebody to TMV, didn't think it would be necessary on this site but the day has come.  If what you have described in the last sentence is happening, it can only be a good thing in my view and will help prog, in the spirit that was implied in the 70s, get a fresh lease of life.  What prog music needs is exposure to more open minded listeners again that are not too specific in their needs as the retro-loving crowd can be.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:09
Wow gnack gack gnack!!!!!! I loved this track! The Mars Volta - Drunkship of Lanterns !!!!n Aaaaahhhh, must replay now yay yay! Those everchanging layers are aaaaahhhhh  ClapApproveThumbs Up huge hug Hug
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

(snip) This is one of the reasons why many genuinely exciting modern progressive acts shun the traditional "prog" circuits, and get a lot of exposure at events that have a wider target audience.

(snip) If what you have described in the last sentence is happening, it can only be a good thing in my view and will help prog, in the spirit that was implied in the 70s, get a fresh lease of life.  What prog music needs is exposure to more open minded listeners again that are not too specific in their needs as the retro-loving crowd can be.

Seconded, thirded and accepted. No more labelling and pigeonholing, focus on the music people want to hear.Clap
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:12

I think, seeing as Kati is enjoying Drunkship of Lanterns just now, somewhere the popularity of bands like TMV has ebbed.  It took me aback when I realised I would have to actually introduce somebody to TMV, didn't think it would be necessary on this site but the day has come.  If what you have described in the last sentence is happening, it can only be a good thing in my view and will help prog, in the spirit that was implied in the 70s, get a fresh lease of life.  What prog music needs is exposure to more open minded listeners again that are not too specific in their needs as the retro-loving crowd can be.
God yes hats off to that track, however early UH was prog not meh prog but great really umphft! Salisbury for me I put at the same level as Focus Eruption! Hug to you Smile rogerthat Hug
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:14
Hugs to you as well Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:18
Early Uriah Heep is not meh nor neh Raff, to date no one sounds like David Byron and Ken Hensley wrote most amazing pieces too. To say that they were any less, I absolutely disagree with you here.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:22
UH are a nice enough band I enjoy listening to when they come on but I remember a time I actively reached for them. Whereas I don't really like TMV. I have one of their albums Frances The Mute and it hasn't connected at all.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:22
@Kati: Actually I don't think she is saying that.  What she said (that their progginess was questioned once on this website) is true; it did happen.  As I said, it simply reflects how much this forum has changed.  In the fashion of old proggy-fogeys, "you had to be there".  LOL  Seriously, this once super-elitist forum that used to sneer at additions like, even, Radiohead voting Heep over TMV reflects a great deal of change.  

Edited by rogerthat - December 13 2014 at 10:23
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:25

@Kati: Actually I don't think she is saying that.  What she said (that their progginess was questioned once on this website) is true; it did happen.  As I said, it simply reflects how much this forum has changed.  In the fashion of old proggy-fogeys, "you had to be there".  LOL  Seriously, this once super-elitist forum that used to sneer at additions like, even, Radiohead voting Heep over TMV reflects a great deal of change.  

Thank youSmile! This is exactly what I meant. And, as I said before, this has nothing to do with TMV specifically, but with an attitude that both you, Ian, and I have noticed in our fellow prog fans.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:32

Right now this has to do with early UH and why I considered them prog. They were, right now absolutely not.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:37
I think most would agree that Salisbury by itself seals the deal.  Well...again, it's just difficult to explain how this came to be questioned on this forum at a certain point but that is just how things happened.  It is a fashion now to claim PA would add just about any interesting/weird sounding rock band to the database but I seem to remember a time when almost nothing barring the chosen few like KC, GG, Genesis, Yes was above questioning.  There were threads questioning whether PF was prog.  A thread by a prog metal team collab suggesting prog metal is not prog rock, based on very meticulous analysis done earlier by Cert1fied.  More than anything, I am simply bemused by these developments LOL.  I have been active on this forum for at least 6 years and I never paid particular attention to these changes.  Guess it takes a thread like this to throw a spotlight on just how much things have changed.  LOL
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 10:43

I think most would agree that Salisbury by itself seals the deal.  Well...again, it's just difficult to explain how this came to be questioned on this forum at a certain point but that is just how things happened.  It is a fashion now to claim PA would add just about any interesting/weird sounding rock band to the database but I seem to remember a time when almost nothing barring the chosen few like KC, GG, Genesis, Yes was above questioning.  There were threads questioning whether PF was prog.  A thread by a prog metal team collab suggesting prog metal is not prog rock, based on very meticulous analysis done earlier by Cert1fied.  More than anything, I am simply bemused by these developments LOL.  I have been active on this forum for at least 6 years and I never paid particular attention to these changes.  Guess it takes a thread like this to throw a spotlight on just how much things have changed.  LOL
rogerthat you cute thing, besides Salisbury all you need to listen is to Ken Hensley on mellotron and Byron on vocals with July Morning to be convinced reallyWinkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRrGNygjzs&index=3&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM a massive hug to you Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 11:02

Dedicate this to everyone David Byron - Weep In Silence // Uriah Heep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8O57RRhNcc&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMnzu3X4ADg_4lK7g75AIDM&index=11

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 11:10
The Mars Volta
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 12:30

I have been active on this forum for at least 6 years and I never paid particular attention to these changes.  Guess it takes a thread like this to throw a spotlight on just how much things have changed.  LOL

A lot has changed for sure, but you just don't notice until you run into it. It's like what happens to a frog when you put it in a pan of cold water and then slowly heat it up. It won't notice until it gets cooked alive. (If you throw it in a pan of hot water however, it will try to jump out immediately, but that's less relevant here.)
That metaphor fits everywhere (although we mainly use it in organisational advice) and certainly applies here also. A lot has changed since I first came here, and the biggest changes I noticed after being away for about a year after retiring as admin. That's also when I noticed that the biggest changes were not caused by the admins or the collaborators but by the regular members.

To proof the truth of the metaphor: after a fight that caused a guitarist and a keyboard player to split, we concluded as a band that this had been waiting to happen for almost 2 years. To never forget that, we actually renamed ourselves Bucket of Frogs LOL.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 12:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

UH are a nice enough band I enjoy listening to when they come on but I remember a time I actively reached for them. Whereas I don't really like TMV. I have one of their albums Frances The Mute and it hasn't connected at all.

Same here, and still... after playing two random tracks based on this discussion - there is something in there. Guess it pays of to not get rid of any album you ever buy, as long as you take the effort to listen to it at a later time if you don't like it straight away. 
ISKC Rock Radio
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 21:29
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

HAHAHA Brilliant this!!!!!!! whooheeeee hahaha that bass silence bit after the drums with vocals is wow! Ah !!!! xxxx thank you Clap big hug HugOh wow loving this and I am glad they are very clever with their pauses while not sounding like liquid tension experiment. Dang the percussion is brilliant!
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Wow gnack gack gnack!!!!!! I loved this track! The Mars Volta - Drunkship of Lanterns !!!!n Aaaaahhhh, must replay now yay yay! Those everchanging layers are aaaaahhhhh  ClapApproveThumbs Up huge hug Hug

ClapHandshake

This is how it begins! Volta fever! Good to see.

I'm probably close to the biggest TMV fan on this forum, so while I have no objectivity in this whatsoever, this has been an interesting discussion from all of you. I'm fully aware that while most people on this forum have a lot of respect for Volta, it's not for everybody, and I'm not terribly surprised at the result (if the current votes hold). I think there's a truth to what is being said about prog fans increasingly going for the safe options, but that's their prerogative.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>