Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Round 1 Rome Bracket: Dream Theater  v. Caravan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRound 1 Rome Bracket: Dream Theater v. Caravan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Who is your band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [23.86%]
67 [76.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 05:59
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Ah, good to see this thread came alive. As for the missing fanboys, well, back when they were still there, Truth made a DT v/s Magma poll and called us trolls when Magma won the poll. One thing that hasn't changed is the difficulty they have in digesting the fact that some people don't worship the ground that DT treads, even when the other band is a very fine one like Caravan. I like early DT and patches of the rest of their albums (post Awake) but hey, is any reason other than Another Day required to dislike them?

indeed. Nice to see a bit of fire. Well done Scott! Raff told me about this thread conflagration. This is worth dragging myself out of bed for LOL

Old days .. new days.  One thing hasn't changed about PA's.. or prog fan.  Prog Metal is has and likely always will be extremely divisive. DT is the obvious target of that for many people. For several reasons.

One they suck LOL  Or in more detailed terms is they provide the best example of flash without substance and having multiple great talents who fail to be a real band.  No one doubts the talent, or the desire to be 'prog'. However many doubt the final result was listenable. Why does Opeth not get the same level of hate. That is a band. DT was a mere collection of very talented instrumentalists.

Two. They are without doubt the most important and influential.  So obviously they have a big ol' KICK ME SIGN right on their backs for those who don't like prog metal.

Three.  O yes. The fans themselves. Yes their fans were a bit much and I do think some of the over the top 'hate' was blowback to them.  DT albums being compared to classics from Yes or even Genesis. Come on.

Anyhow. As I noted in my Symphony X review. One really could do a good essay on the relationship of prog fan with prog metal. Prog fan will take most anything showing the slightest leanings of progressiveness and claim it as their own, but for some reason for many Prog Metal has the cooties.  There is a real answer in there that begs to be exposed.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 06:08
DT are one of the most boring, 'self important' bands I have ever had the misfortune to see - I walked out well before the end and I wasn't the only one (High Voltage, London, 2011).  But, to put them up against Caravan?  No contest!  Dear old Caravan every time.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 08:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Ah, good to see this thread came alive. As for the missing fanboys, well, back when they were still there, Truth made a DT v/s Magma poll and called us trolls when Magma won the poll. One thing that hasn't changed is the difficulty they have in digesting the fact that some people don't worship the ground that DT treads, even when the other band is a very fine one like Caravan. I like early DT and patches of the rest of their albums (post Awake) but hey, is any reason other than Another Day required to dislike them?

indeed. Nice to see a bit of fire. Well done Scott! Raff told me about this thread conflagration. This is worth dragging myself out of bed for LOL

Old days .. new days.  One thing hasn't changed about PA's.. or prog fan.  Prog Metal is has and likely always will be extremely divisive. DT is the obvious target of that for many people. For several reasons.

One they suck LOL  Or in more detailed terms is they provide the best example of flash without substance and having multiple great talents who fail to be a real band.  No one doubts the talent, or the desire to be 'prog'. However many doubt the final result was listenable. Why does Opeth not get the same level of hate. That is a band. DT was a mere collection of very talented instrumentalists.

Two. They are without doubt the most important and influential.  So obviously they have a big ol' KICK ME SIGN right on their backs for those who don't like prog metal.

Three.  O yes. The fans themselves. Yes their fans were a bit much and I do think some of the over the top 'hate' was blowback to them.  DT albums being compared to classics from Yes or even Genesis. Come on.

Anyhow. As I noted in my Symphony X review. One really could do a good essay on the relationship of prog fan with prog metal. Prog fan will take most anything showing the slightest leanings of progressiveness and claim it as their own, but for some reason for many Prog Metal has the cooties.  There is a real answer in there that begs to be exposed.

Well, prog, whether of the symphonic or avant variety, is nothing if not subtle and full of dynamics.  Metal done well is about as subtle as a sledgehammer.  LOL Not surprising that the blend of both is awkward a lot of times. PoS did it well but by pushing their metal side to the background.  Nice review of Divine Wings...by the way.  I like that album too.  As you said, some crushing headbanging mania mixed with Dio-esque majestic vocals.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 10:33
I don't think DT lack substance...from the point of view of complexity or ambition. What mars the overall experience, at least for me, is their questionable predilection for cheese and copious amounts thereof.  One would think given how accomplished the musicians are and their professed fondness for many great classic rock and metal bands as well as some of the prog and fusion greats, they would get that right.  Or maybe, if the way Jon Arch described his experience of auditioning for them is anything to go by, it is an intentional and canny choice to adhere to tastes that were then drifting towards the likes of Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Mr Big, Bryan Adams, etc etc.  LOL  With that said, even some of their classic rock covers like Hey You were a bit awkward and not only on account of LaBrie.  
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:02

There is a lot to this.  I think one of the biggest tragadies was the loss of Kevin Moore from the band.  In my mind, 'Images and Words' and 'Awake' are both fantastic albums and truly believe it was Kevin Moore and to a lesser extent, John Myung that kept them grounded. 

When Jordan Rudess entered the band, it became exactly what you describe above, 'multiple great talents who fail to be a band'.  It seems like for years, Petrucci, Rudess and Portnoy would go into any situation with the theory of 'how many notes can I play, can I play more than the other two guys'. 

Both Moore and Myung had the sense to know when to play a lot of notes and when to hold back and I think that the songwriting was more balanced at that point.  When Moore left, Sherinian never really had a chance.  Rudess was the second coming of John Petrucci.  With those three writing, Myung was had less and less to say.  Most of this is opinion and supposition of course, but (and I don't have the time to fact check this over lunch) if memory serves me, st's been quite a few albums since Myung got a writing credit whereas he had some on the Moore albums.  In my mind, when Kevin Moore left, the band kind of lost their soul.

There have been a few good songs here and there since then, I like Octovarium and Black Clouds, but nothing that they've done has matched the majesty of Images and Words and Awake in my mind.

Edited by Roland113 - December 09 2014 at 11:03
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:46

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

WTF is happening????? I quit life. Dead       

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 11:50
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

There is a lot to this.  I think one of the biggest tragadies was the loss of Kevin Moore from the band.  In my mind, 'Images and Words' and 'Awake' are both fantastic albums and truly believe it was Kevin Moore and to a lesser extent, John Myung that kept them grounded. 

When Jordan Rudess entered the band, it became exactly what you describe above, 'multiple great talents who fail to be a band'.  It seems like for years, Petrucci, Rudess and Portnoy would go into any situation with the theory of 'how many notes can I play, can I play more than the other two guys'. 

Both Moore and Myung had the sense to know when to play a lot of notes and when to hold back and I think that the songwriting was more balanced at that point.  When Moore left, Sherinian never really had a chance.  Rudess was the second coming of John Petrucci.  With those three writing, Myung was had less and less to say.  Most of this is opinion and supposition of course, but (and I don't have the time to fact check this over lunch) if memory serves me, st's been quite a few albums since Myung got a writing credit whereas he had some on the Moore albums.  In my mind, when Kevin Moore left, the band kind of lost their soul.

There have been a few good songs here and there since then, I like Octovarium and Black Clouds, but nothing that they've done has matched the majesty of Images and Words and Awake in my mind.
Personally, I think that they mesh find together as a band.  I can understand the feeling that their best albums were with Kevin Moore, as I don't disagree with this feeling, but what they were doing then was also a fresh and new sound.  Personally, I like LaBrie's voice.  I think that it fits better on the slower songs than it does the faster songs, but there don't seem to be too many who agree with me on this feeling.  What I did find, at least on the later albums, were that I tended to really like the songs where Petrucci got the main writing credit, but didn't like the songs where Portnoy got the main writing credit.  I think that with Portnoy's songs he was going for a faster, heavier sound that didn't work that well with LaBrie's voice.  And on the one particular song it didn't help that Portnoy was growling, but I guess you have to give them credit for trying to do something different from their patented sound.
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 13:07
of course Caravan!
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 14:40
Caravan might not be as obscure as you think. I found the remaster of "For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night" at my favorite little music shop here in Ann Arbor. The guys working there took a look at my purchase and complimented my good taste.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 14:53
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Caravan might not be as obscure as you think. I found the remaster of "For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night" at my favorite little music shop here in Ann Arbor. The guys working there took a look at my purchase and complimented my good taste.

Similar story for me at my local vinyl and CD shop, found the same album remastered on CD. The guys didn't mention anything about it to me, but I got the Golden Fleece!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:07
I've yet to see anything but compilation albums for Caravan in any of the record stores that I've shopped at, and I've shopped in a number of them over the years.  Next time I go to my regular place I'm gonna check and see if they might have anything on vinyl, but they definitely have no CDs. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:42
If we consider sales of albums in mainstream shops, we might as well scrap three quarters of the bands and artists included in the PA database. I don't believe you can find Discipline or Shadow Circus albums at your local FYE. A lot of people who dig DT are not fans of other prog genres, and this is one of the reasons why they have sold so many albums (regardless or whether they are good or not).
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:47
I realize this, but again look at the two bands reviews here on PA.  Caravan has one album with over 1,000 reviews.  DT has many.  DT has 5 albums with a 4.0 aggregate rating or better.  Caravan has 1.  Caravan has 5 albums with a ranking in the 2.0s; DT has none.  These are all PA stats and have nothing to do with the general public.  People complain about DT's last few albums, but almost all of Caravan's latest albums are ranked in the 2s.  This is all that I am saying.  On PA paper, DT should be wiping the floor with Caravan, not the other way around. 

As was previously agreed to earlier in this thread, it pretty much has to do with the DT fanboy brigade, and me apparently being the last holdover from those days.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:49
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I've yet to see anything but compilation albums for Caravan in any of the record stores that I've shopped at, and I've shopped in a number of them over the years.  Next time I go to my regular place I'm gonna check and see if they might have anything on vinyl, but they definitely have no CDs. 

You gotta head over here to A2 Scott. A big college town has advantages in that regard. All sorts of people with different tastes. There are three used shops here that are like gold mines.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 15:57
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

You gotta head over here to A2 Scott. A big college town has advantages in that regard. All sorts of people with different tastes. There are three used shops here that are like gold mines.
You're right.  I've done a pretty good job of picking my local shops clean of the good stuff. LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 18:29

I realize this, but again look at the two bands reviews here on PA.  Caravan has one album with over 1,000 reviews.  DT has many.  DT has 5 albums with a 4.0 aggregate rating or better.  Caravan has 1.  Caravan has 5 albums with a ranking in the 2.0s; DT has none.  These are all PA stats and have nothing to do with the general public.  People complain about DT's last few albums, but almost all of Caravan's latest albums are ranked in the 2s.  This is all that I am saying.  On PA paper, DT should be wiping the floor with Caravan, not the other way around. 

As was previously agreed to earlier in this thread, it pretty much has to do with the DT fanboy brigade, and me apparently being the last holdover from those days.

Well, many of those who review or rate albums don't also vote on forum polls. So the popularity of the band on the database hasn't tracked the forum views for a long time. It wouldn't be so evident from reviews that the forum is such a KC/Genesis fanboy hub, for instance, as the ratings seem to follow the pattern of other websites. Possibly the DT fanboy syndrome is partly responsible but in the reverse direction. As in maybe some people who are only casually aware of DT may have still voted just to rile up the fanboys but I am sure everyone who voted for Caravan actually likes them. As others have pointed out, Caravan may not have been as popular as DT but they are certainly not obscure. Do you really think Guns N Roses would win a poll against Nick Drake on PA? I doubt it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 18:45
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

A lot of people who dig DT are not fans of other prog genres, and this is one of the reasons why they have sold so many albums (regardless or whether they are good or not).

has nothing to do with sales.. .and everything to do with apparently pulling up stakes and moving on from this site when their group imploded. Hense the answer to the question we all asked as to where are the DT fanboys. LOL Listening to something, somewhere else, but DT sure didn't seem to turn most of them into prog fans. Not to say they should have been, or had to have been, but that does say something to me that it was the geek factor of that group (virtuosity), not the prog factor (musical) that seemed to be what people really liked out of the group which again sort of speaks to the point I made earlier.  A collection of talent built for showcasing the talent rather than a group meant for showcasing the sum results of the talents. I do agree as most everyone does. When they lost Kevin Moore, they lost the one person capable of taking all that talent and making someone work from it.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:02

Well, prog, whether of the symphonic or avant variety, is nothing if not subtle and full of dynamics.  Metal done well is about as subtle as a sledgehammer.  LOL Not surprising that the blend of both is awkward a lot of times. PoS did it well but by pushing their metal side to the background.  Nice review of Divine Wings...by the way.  I like that album too.  As you said, some crushing headbanging mania mixed with Dio-esque majestic vocals.  

Thanks Roger. I hadn't reviewed an album in many many years and never was a particularly confident reviewer even then. When I read others reviews and how well they do those my own insecurity gets magnified, especially since my own wife's abilities to dissect albums is so much better than my own. Thanks though. I did enjoy writing it, and yes..  it is a great example of a well done prog metal album that appeals to metal fans and prog fans.. like me.Smile

Yes.. metal often lacks subtlety. So does prog. Some of the best prog albums I have heard are akin to being hit over the head by a 2X4 for 40 minutes.. or overdosing on vallium.  Prog to me never has been about the so called intellectual quotient. It is nice when well done, but in most cases it is not. These are musicians, not scholars, not intellectuals. What prog can do when it is done best, better than any musical form, is appeal to the emotions and  the senses.  Metal as well can do that as well and I would say the best of metal is full of nuance and full of dynamics.  That is one thing that appealed to me in  the Symp X album, and more to the point that is one thing I have always love about Opeth.  In particuar Akerfeldt's vocals and the way his uses his vocal styles and the way he shifts from cookie monster to his very engaging 'normal' singing voice. 

Anyhow.  Metal can be a sledgehammer and I love it for that but do believe there is a lot of room in metal, and progressive metal for subtlety and nuance. DT never seemed to grasp that and seemed to me to be about showcasing the skills rather  than making music that touches the listener. Thus the huge turn off from me. Smile
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:20
Shame about the DT haters, but it sounds like PA history plays a part in this.  I like them a lot.  Some albums I like almost all of the tracks while others I am really into only a few.  Probably still the best metal band I have seen live and that was this past spring.  The show was so tight and professional.  How much do you have to like a band to be a 'fanboy?'  It's not like DT can do no wrong.  For me, lots of their material is good, though I prefer Train of Thought and earlier.  

One thing I've learned about music here - No matter how great a band purports to be, somebody here will hate them with a passion.LOL

This is my first listen of Caravan.  Worth hearing more of them, for sure.

Edited by twalsh - December 09 2014 at 19:20
More heavy prog, please!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 19:37
oh yeah. A lot of PA history is wrapped up in this.. along with simply DETESTING the group LOL Picking on the fanclub was like a sport around here. We actually had a competition for how many fanboys heads we each had mounted over the fireplace.  It wasn't really challenging, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.  So we decided the fun wasn't to be the kill itself, but thinking up creative ways to make the kills.  We did have a lot of fun picking on them, and being the full of piss fanboys they were, they didn't see the humor. A big mistake which some of the characters here, which only ratcheted up the level of  viritol we threw at them.

It was all in fun, but when you bleed and live for your favorite group I suppose it is hard to see it that way.

Live?  We've walked out of both times we've seen them. Just couldn't take it, but we did try.

Anyhow, variety is the spice of a forum.

Yes EVERY group has its haters.  Some here even fail to see the brilliance of ELP.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>