Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 08:23
Squabbles aside, one important thing I hope we all agree on: it is a masterwork of MELODIC composition. Two/three tracks here that I'm CERTAIN a fair lot of us would be desirous of having composed ourselves.

It is always strange to me that you have group masterpieces like this , but when the artists go solo they just go ordinary at once. Has anyone anything good to say of Hayward's solo lps - or, say, Art Garfunkel's?
They are just women's-pap records, far, far from the earlier heights.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by Kayleur Kayleur wrote:

You are incorrect, little elf.
It IS full-tilt, nipples erect & thrust forward PSYCHEDELIC!

Goddammit! What are you trying to do here?
You PRESUME to trespass on Steve's province????
LOL
Just to presume a bit further, what part of DoFP is psychedelic, exactly? My take on it is that it defies categorization, particularly for 1967, which is why we are still talking about it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 08:29
Peak Hour is psychedelic.
Its psychedelic in a sorta beat Go Too sorta...erm sorta way.

(Damn, I'm playing devil's advocate again.)
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 08:43
We are still talking about it because it has and always will have immensity,loftiness, gentle sadness, period twee-ness.Some of the best lovesongs ever penned.

No one writes like this anymore.
No one dares.

It is a stupid, violent society.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 08:45
Originally posted by Kayleur Kayleur wrote:

Yeah, you are correct.
Days Of Future Passed is one long acid freak-out.
Once again, you missed the point of the post. DOFP was the "come down" album at the end of an acid party, not an acid freak-out itself. That honor would go to other albums like the following.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 08:46
The second greatest Psychedelic Rock album of the sixties is The Doors. No, it's Are You Experienced? No it's the Doors. No, it's Are You Experienced? No, it's...
Well, you get the drift. If the never intended to be acid "come down" album Days of Future Passed came to be that way almost by default (what other mellow paranoid relieving album was there?), the same could not be said for the conscious psychedelic door openers such as The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced? and the Doors self titled debut album, that were almost always the first to be requested after the small to moderate sized crowd had finished consuming paper tabs or sugar cubes.

Generally, Are You Experienced? was usually given the nod as it's lead off track (on American LP editions at least) was the bombastic Purple Haze. Thought to have referenced a "brand" of acid created by well known American acid chemist Augustus Owsley Stanley III, or better known as Owsley for short, it seemed to be a natural jumping off point. Regardless that Owsley never created an acid batch that was so named, (however he did develop the extremely potent and popular strain he called "orange sunshine"). So Hendrix and company usually got the nod to be the opening act. Are You Experienced? was a good acid rock album that drifted into studio trickery psychedelia towards the album's close with songs like Third Stone From The Sun and the title track which both featured heavy use of stereo panning, vocal flanging and echoed phasing.

For my money, The Doors debut album was always the superior of the two and featured it's own knocking  on consciousness' door with it's manic lead off track Break On Through. Other album songs were more blues rock in nature except for the bizarre sing along Alabama Song, before coming to the group's stupendous mega hit Light My Fire (in all it's unedited glory). The album's showstopper and final track The End was everything a psychedelic song needed to be in 1967. Dark, brooding, atmospheric, mysterious, Blakean, obviously Freudian, and unfortunately for some, scary and paranoid inducing.

Even though Are You Experienced? opened many a Freak In, The Doors' debut was the album with greater psychedelic and psychological substance. And the great vocals of the forever mysterious and impressive Jim Morrison clinch the feeling for me that The Doors' debut was the second great Psychedelic Rock album of the sixties. The trip continues.

Edited by SteveG - March 09 2015 at 14:00
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 09:25
Speaking of dark-trip music,
is it not rather curious that in any forum discussion of psych you cannot let it go without bringing-up, BRAINTICKET "COTTONWOODHILL" lp?

Even more curious that - dammit! - this is not coming out of US (or even UK), but Switzerland (or was it Austria? - I forget. Welll...Van Droogenbrogen-wotsit was Belgian. THAT I do know.)

Yes, it is a '72 release, so, PLEASE I do not want to be arguing minutea like this can't be cornerstone psych. That is granted, okay?

"Only listen once a day to this record. Your brain might be destroyed! Hallelujah Records takes no responsibility." So goes the parental warning stuck on the back of the orig lp.

It starts with two, rather lame tracks (compared to the onslaught that is coming on the remainder (one and a half sides) of the lp.
Then it starts: the interminable 25 minutes of repeated Hammond mind-bore, the total female voice freakout.

We all know this legendary record (well, let us say collectors of Mars Volta probably do not).
I want however to take this oportunity to do a mini-review on their cd, just out, "Future, Past and Present" (I hope I got that title correct.)

Its been 15 years since their last release "Alchemic Universe". So this was a MOST- AVIDLY awaited release.
Gone are all the Tangerine Dream moves of "Alchemic" and "Adventure". But - we all want to know - is gone the sheer Madness of "Cottonwoodhill".
Well...yes.
But, compositionally, it is a definite return.

Just like history is but a chronicle of reiteration, all music is derived from previous musics. Evolution involves a lot of repetition. Nothing is inovative.Its just bands in the grip of their delusion, beleiving they are not derivative.

"Past,Present,Future" is deffo derivative of the fiorst release. "Dancing On the Volcano arts One and two" comprise over 30 minutes of the 75 minute cd. And, yes, its all basically repeated line - only this time round its not Hammond.
Where it differs from the psychedelica of the first lp, is that its now more prog-fusiony. Very well done, mind. Like the recent Gong lp, the band leader evidently took great care in bringing in top musicians.

On the minus side, the cd has much female narration.
This gets to be too much as we move towards the last two tracks of the cd. One is a long spoken (over music, of course) ramble on a story from Egyptian mythology. The last track is - curiously enough - blues-based and has the woman repeating the same line OVER AND OVER: "What have we done...What have we done?"

Overall, I recommend you all this cd.
But dont accept as dark a trip as The Legend.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 09:38
This is an album that will castoff any dark vibes:
Githead - Waiting for a Sign cover
Githead (the ex Wire and Minimal Compact collective) returns with a beautiful new avant/art pop Wire-like album starts off with deft rhythmic songs that eventually drifts into two dreamy atmospheric soundscapes before climaxing with a kosmische-like hook driven finale!

If your a Wire fan from way back, this album will knock you out.

Edited by SteveG - February 24 2015 at 13:54
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 11:02
I prefer Strange Days to The Doors debut, but as I am a stoner from the 70s, the really great psychedelic rendition is the compilation Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine (released 1972), which is so much better than your average overplayed greatest hits package; in fact, it contains most of the trippy Doors songs and has only a few actual hits.

This was quite good from a partying perspective as you could listen to a whole side of great psychedelia while tripping. For instance, side four had Riders on the Storm, Maggie M'Gill, Horse Latitudes and When the Music's Over (you can't beat a set like that). In a primitive world where there were no playlists, iTune clouds or boxed CDs, having an album like that meant you didn't have to get up from being one with the sofa. Perfect album cover as well from a watercolor perspective and as a double-album de-seeder.Wink

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 13:28
^Spoken like a true seventies double album connoisseur.LOL  I agree that it's a classic compilation album.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 03:22
If you like psychedelic doom metal in the vein of Sleep, Ufomammut, Yob and their ilk you owe yourself to listen to Elder. They started out as not far off from basically a Sleep clone, but have now developed their own style very quickly.

The entire retro-psychedelic doom metal style is pretty damn overpopulated, to the point I think there are more 21st century practitioners of it than were 1960s/1970s psychedelic hard rock bands that movement imitates, so it's nice to hear a new band doing something distinctive with it. Even if they aren't as ambitious as Yob.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 05:25
Speaking of the entire "what is psychedelic and what isn't?" debate, then someone posting The Doors, reminds me that I'm still not sure whether to count them as part of "psychedelic music". I mean, Jim Morrison was heavily into the use of hallucinogens, and musically they kind of came from the same place but in terms of their "ideology" or perhaps more broadly I don't categorize them within that cultural movement. I think psychedelia is defined as Greek for "expansion of the mind", and The Doors were always too much inwards-looking in their music being oriented towards Jim Morrison's personal demons and psychological neuroses.

It's the same thing I discussed when The Velvet Underground and Echo & the Bunnymen were brought up. The Doors and to some extent The Velvet Underground I regard more as forerunners of the 1980s goth rock subculture, than really part of the psychedelic movement as such.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 07:27
Someone brought up Echo and Bunnymen as being PSYCHEDELIC?

I must of missed that.

May God frustrate that poster forever.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 07:34
Is that you Wallace?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kayleur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 07:52
Go ahead, a****le.

Destroy it for everyone else.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:10
The Third Greatest Psych album and the rest of the Sixties' Top Five:
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967. The Psych Rock template.

No surprise here as it was the Psychedelic album not only of 1967 but perhaps for all time. Sgt. Pepper's usually fell right behind the Doors' debut as next up on the turntable as The Doors album ended on a somber note with The End and a quick dose of sunshine from Sgt. Pepper's opening two tracks was the cure just before listening to the LSD anthem Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds, which was de rigueur for any Freak In. As Sgt. Pepper's itself ended with the jarring A Day In The Life, Pepper's was almost always followed by the American mock stereo LP version of  Magical Mystery Tour, which featured Lennon's manically bizarre wordplaying classic I Am The Walrus and ended with the 'Summer Of Love' anthem All You Need Is Love.

MMT: Number 5 on the Psych list after Are You Experienced?

I would place MMT as number five after the continually falling set opener Are You Experienced? at number four. If Hendrix's debut had been a live album, who knows where he'd be on this list.

Other albums in Freak In rotation included some the usual suspects like 5th Dimension by The Byrds, In Search of the Lost Chord by the Moody Blues, The Doors' second album, Axis: Bold as Love by Hendrix and company, The Velvet Underground with Nico as well as pioneering British Psych Rock albums such as Revolver By The Beatles and Sunshine Superman by Donovan. A sprinkling  of Hard Rock albums also hit the turntables occasionally like Tommy from The Who.

By the end of the summer of 1968, the acid craze was rapidly dying off as stories of acid casualties such as known rock figures like Brian Wilson became common knowledge, along with personal stories of family and friends that fell victim to acid's destructive potential.

A paradigm shift in Rock Music in mid 1968 to heaver sounds such as In-a-godda-da-vidda by Iron Butterfly along with the Beatles public abandonment of the drug and backed up with their release of the anti psychedelic "White Album" in fall of 1968 seemed to be the last nail in the coffin of the acid kick.

The drug was still in use well into the first two years of the seventies as evidenced by the numerous bad "brown  acid" warnings in the 1969 film Woodstock.

The main point of these three highly subjective posts was to show the brief symbiotic relationship between the use of psychedelics and the music that was made for listening while taking those drugs, or in some cases, albums that were simply adopted into the Psych Rock canon.

This was also done the dispel the misconception that Psychedelic Rock was created only for interests of it's mind altered creators. This music was designed for the people with the implied massage that it was ok to follow paths of chemical enlightenment, or have an interactive listening experience, before the pitfalls of following that path came to light. And the lights went on rather quickly, which no doubt greatly benefited many young followers of the counter culture movement at that time. If only harder drugs like heroin could have lost favor as well.

Edited by SteveG - February 26 2015 at 11:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Speaking of the entire "what is psychedelic and what isn't?" debate, then someone posting The Doors, reminds me that I'm still not sure whether to count them as part of "psychedelic music". I mean, Jim Morrison was heavily into the use of hallucinogens, and musically they kind of came from the same place but in terms of their "ideology" or perhaps more broadly I don't categorize them within that cultural movement. I think psychedelia is defined as Greek for "expansion of the mind", and The Doors were always too much inwards-looking in their music being oriented towards Jim Morrison's personal demons and psychological neuroses.

It's the same thing I discussed when The Velvet Underground and Echo & the Bunnymen were brought up. The Doors and to some extent The Velvet Underground I regard more as forerunners of the 1980s goth rock subculture, than really part of the psychedelic movement as such.
I can only reiterate that what constituted later sixties Psych Rock such as backwards guitars and cymbals, spacey songs and obvious drug lyrics is not what constituted earlier American Psych Rock as there simply was not enough Beatles, Donovan and the Count Five to go around, so not very Psych Rock sounding bands like the Doors fit in nicely. I'll recap an excellent  quote from wiki that clealy identifies the Doors as an early American Psych band, along with some other early American and British Psych bands:

Psychedelic rock is a style of rock music that is inspired or influenced by psychedelic culture and attempts to replicate and enhance the mind-altering experiences of psychedelic drugs. It often uses new recording techniques and effects and draws on non-Western sources such as the ragas and drones of Indian music.

It was pioneered by musicians including the Beatles, the Byrds, and the Yardbirds, emerging as a genre during the mid-1960s among folk rock and blues rock bands in the United Kingdom and United States, such as Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, the Doors and Pink Floyd. It reached a peak in between 1967 and 1969 with the Summer of Love and Woodstock Rock Festival, respectively, becoming an international musical movement and associated with a widespread counterculture, before beginning a decline as changing attitudes, the loss of some key individuals and a back-to-basics movement, led surviving performers to move into new musical areas.

I hope my posts about my experiences with the 1967/68 'acid scene' may help to alleviate some of this long standing Psych/Not Psych confusion.

Edited by SteveG - February 25 2015 at 09:56
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:55
Listened to Wishful Thinking yesterday, the album is called Hiroshima (1971). The title song is quite famous but the rest of the album is surprisingly good (for me). A shame the title song is the only one I could find on youtube. There are some great songs on this one.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 09:58
^Thanks for the post Christi. As usual, I'm always thrilled to find new Psych music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 10:36
Thanks for the upcoming clarification, Steve. Since there's at least one generation gap (if not several of them) I'm on the wrong side of, it's somewhat difficult for me to really perceive The Doors and VU as part of the same culture as 13th Floor Elevators, the Beatles' later albums, early Pink Floyd or even darker heavier stuff like The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Blue Cheer. I mean, they were experimental and artistic rock music groups from that era who used a lot of drugs but I experience (pun intended or not? I'm not sure) their creative priorities as somewhat different.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 25>