Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 15:55

Big Hendrix day for me, I just picked up the box set to the right. It documents the six concerts the original Experience played at the late great Winterland Ballroom from 10/10/68 to 12/10/68. The first two discs are for the first two days, almost completely sourced from the second of the days's shows, except for one track for 10/10 and two for 11/10. Disc Three is an even mix of first and second show cuts from 12/10. Finally, disc four collects a few odds and sods cuts, such not because of them being in any way bad - certainly not -  but because of the focus on late shows and the wish to achieve a great flow on the first three discs.

Uniquely, these Winterland shows included the rarely played live "Manic Depression", two shows opened by a take on the Hansson & Karlsson jam "Tax Free", electrifying takes on Cream's classic "Sunshine of Your Love", closer for 12/10's early show being a take on "Wild Thing", and, at least twice, the band playing a mean medley of "The Defense of Fort McHenry (The Star Spangled Banner)" and "Purple Haze".

In spite of technical problems, partially stemming from how energetic the band played, the Experience is described as being very relaxed, and so able to come up with fiery musical magic throughout many solos and improvs.

There's somewhere around two and a half hours of music total in this set. First open day I get, I'm just going to listen to the whole thing in one sitting, and just experience the magic. CoolYing Yang

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 15 2015 at 15:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 08:22
^Great live set from Hendrix. I believe the some of the sound problems were due to Hendrix using the house PA system (and overwhelming it?) and his usual occasional tuning problems. But they are minor as Hendrix was in top form and did play non standard concert cuts like Manic Depression. Enjoy the show! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 08:56
The Legendary Pink Dots
Gethsemane Option
The Gethsemane Option 2013

The Gethsemane Option from 2013 is one of The Legendary Pink Dots less accessible albums to long time fans of their thirty plus years of recorded output. Before you can get comfortable while listing to cuts like The Maria Dimension or The Golden Age, the music of each song abruptly changes direction and adds to the disarming vibe of which this album is built on. Eschewing their subliminal Floyd and Crimson motifs, the band seemed to have jumped on the dark psych prog band wagon that spiked during this brief couple of years and leans toward Neu! styled Krautrock synths, disembodied noises that pop up in the sound mix and existential lyrics. This album is a dark psychedelic look at the world and is not for everyone. Even the cover is unsettling. But for some reason, it does exert a strange pull on this listener.

If you you're new to The Legendary Dots, I suggest starting with more accessible up beat albums released a few years before or after The Gethsemane Option. But if you like dark unsettling psych prog, then this is just what the doctor ordered. 

Edited by SteveG - January 16 2015 at 15:36
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:13
Two albums inspired by one that was never made.
The high llamas: Hawaii 1986
A band run by sometime Stereo Lab member Sean O' Hagen, the High llamas 1986 instrumental album is accessible avant garde psych rock that is inspired by the Ork pop of the Beach Boys pop classic Pet Sounds and more remarkable, the never released mysterious ill-fated Smile album based on what O' Hagen and company imagine the album to have sound like. Still, it's seventy plus minutes of lush avant garde soundscapes that passes by incredibly quickly.

Super Furry Animals

Rings Around the World 2000

This second U.K. group offering is from Super Furry Animals and is a double album released in 2000. the Animals are more in the ggofy psych pop vain of The Flaming Lips, but tone their antics a bit for their Pet Sounds and imagined Smile take off of the Beach Boys. Good fun but definitely not in the more serious vain of the High llamas BB inspired psych.

Amazing the pull that an album that was never completed and released still holds sway over the pop music world.

Strangely enough, when Brian Wilson did finally record and release his 2004 version of Brian Wilson Presents Smile, the album seemed anticlimactic after listening to the retro inspired works noted above.
Brian Wilson Presents Smile 2004

Edited by SteveG - January 16 2015 at 16:46
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 23:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The Legendary Pink Dots
Gethsemane Option

The Gethsemane Option from 2013 is one of The Legendary Pink Dots less accessible albums to long time fans of their thirty plus years of recorded output. Before you can get comfortable while listing to cuts like The Maria Dimension or The Golden Age, the music of each song abruptly changes direction and adds to the disarming vibe of which this album is built on. Eschewing their subliminal Floyd and Crimson motifs, the band seemed to have jumped on the dark psych prog band wagon that spiked during this brief couple of years and leans toward Neu! styled Krautrock synths, disembodied noises that pop up in the sound mix and existential lyrics. This album is a dark psychedelic look at the world and is not for everyone. Even the cover is unsettling. But for some reason, it does exert a strange pull on this listener.

If you you're new to The Legendary Dots, I suggest starting with more accessible up beat albums released a few years before or after The Gethsemane Option. But if you like dark unsettling psych prog, then this is just what the doctor ordered. 
TLPD, man... Went to a concert of theirs on a whim maybe 15 years ago, not being at all familiar with their music.  Hated it...  Have been afraid to give them a listen since then.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 23:25
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 10:50
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

The Legendary Pink Dots
Gethsemane Option

TLPD, man... Went to a concert of theirs on a whim maybe 15 years ago, not being at all familiar with their music.  Hated it...  Have been afraid to give them a listen since then.
Well, that seems to explain why 20 of 40 TLPD albums received an average rating of 4 or more stars in PA's reviews page with 18 receiving average reviews of 3.5 stars or more.
I always enjoy recieving input form members that's devoid of critical data.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 11:32
Book Nook:
Hendrix: Setting The Record Straight
by John McDermott with Eddie Kramer.  Published 1992
Of all twenty five plus bio I've read on Hendrix, this music performing and recording based account always seems the most relevant to me, even though it hasn't been up dated since 1992. (It's first edition was published in 1980.)
Devoid of Hendrix childhood and endless messy relations, this book deals with Hendrix's blunders in unknowingly or uncaringly signing numerous recording contracts that came back to haunt his life prior to his premature death. It also deals with Hendrix's co-managers, the benevolent ex Animal bassist Chas Chandler and his less than savory associate Michael Jeffrey.

Long time Hendrix 'house' engineer Eddie Kramer gives detailed information on almost every Hendrix recording be they finished songs, demos and all live as well as studio album releases. The posthumous album releases instigated by Jeffrey include those that were controversially re recorded or compiled from sub par studio jams.

This book is an easy read and I can't recommend enough for collectors of Hendrix recorded out put as well as those super interested in the studio tech of the time. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 12:44
Sounds of the New Soma
Beyond The Acid Dream cover art
Beyond The Acid Dream 2014
Ambient psychedelic soundscape Krautrock replete with spooky spoken word vocals in German. 
The brain child of German musicians Alexander Djelassy and Dirk Raupach, who supply synths, guitars, bass, vocals and effects, this is perfect psych chill out music.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 17:41

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

The Legendary Pink Dots
Well, that seems to explain why 20 of 40 TLPD albums received an average rating of 4 or more stars in PA's reviews page with 18 receiving average reviews of 3.5 stars or more.
I always enjoy recieving input form members that's devoid of critical data.
I wasn't actually saying they are bad in general.  Just that I did not enjoy the concert (don't anymore recall specifics) and thus have not checked them out since then.  Perhaps I shall do so.  It's not out of the realm to think I could learn to appreciate them.

(Did find the theremin use interesting...)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 10:36
^Handshake
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 12:26
Psych Doom that I lifted off Toaster Mantis in the' What are you playing now thread'.
This is a 'What will you play in the future disc' for me. Sounds like it's going to be a deep meditative type of listen where you have to pay attention to every detail in the music and lyrics.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 12:35
^ I know a lot of psych doom/stoner rock/stoner metal from this one YT page, Stoned Meadow of Doom. More than worth a visit. Didn't know about this one, though.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 13:24
^Thanks Kev. I definitely dig dark psych metal, so I' ll check out the site. Btw, the band that made the album above is called YOB.

Edited by SteveG - January 18 2015 at 13:32
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 13:51
Listening to this right now....can't say it does a lot for me.....a bit too slow and sludgy. And one would have to have a lyric sheet for those esoteric lyrics since none are clear enough.
btw....a short audio clip from Alan Watts is inserted around 11:00 minutes into the track.
Personally I prefer Causa Sui and Samsara Blues Experiment...but they are less sludgy and doomy but far more listenable imho.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 13:59
^I will check those out too, Doc.

Psych doom is all new to me so I'm grabbing everything I can get.

Thanks for the vid. It's great! 

Edited by SteveG - January 18 2015 at 14:00
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 14:02

Sounds of the New Soma
Beyond The Acid Dream cover art
Beyond The Acid Dream 2014
Ambient psychedelic soundscape Krautrock replete with spooky spoken word vocals in German. 
The brain child of German musicians Alexander Djelassy and Dirk Raupach, who supply synths, guitars, bass, vocals and effects, this is perfect psych chill out music.

That was interesting and very listenable....reminded me a lot of Tangerine Dream at times.
Smile
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 14:11

^I will check those out too, Doc.

Psych doom is all new to me so I'm grabbing everything I can get.

Thanks for the vid. It's great! 

More melodic and less sludgy....

Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 14:12
^Yes. It really is chill out music. No screaming guitars here! LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 14:22
Another one I like with a more blues psych rock base....and some occult refernces also.

Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 25>