Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:06
I feel exactly the same about the remix. I think it's because I know the original so well that everything different about the music just feels out of place. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I have to agree. I think that Roky was looking for an audience similar to Ozzy's or BOC with The Evil One, but I still get a kick out of the album. Even if it's a long way from Prog or 80's Metal.

I was thinking more of The Cramps, or The Misfits. Maybe Christian Death or Siouxsie and the Banshees if you wanna get highbrow.

There's also a photo of Roky Erickson together with GG Allin.

"We've got a wizard and a barbarian, now we just need an elf and a dwarf."
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:14
^I absolutely agree but Ozzy and BOC fans bought a lot of records! LOL

Great pic of the great man!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:19
Btw, someone told me that GG Allin was born Jesus Christ Allin. No wonder he was a punk god!
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:24
Wow, I had no idea those two hung out together at the time. Also, GG looks like he got back from a brawl, which, from what I've heard about the man, was business as usual.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:26
On a related note, I'm disappointed the world never saw a music collaboration between Roky Erickson and Sun Ra. Would make for a meeting of mind between the two alien contactees who have had the strongest impact on music history.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:35
The universe would have never been the same. Tongue
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 14:29
Schnauser

Where Business Meets Fashion 

Another great current neo-pysch band, Schnauser are from England and already have four albums out.
Their sound references older pysch and prog like Yes, early Floyd and Sgt. Pepper's era Beatles but with an inventive twist all their own.  Some of the songs on 2012's WBMF are ridiculously catchy with great hooks and melodies, while the lyrics comment on English social conventions that are reminiscent of Well Respected Man era Kinks. 

Edited by SteveG - December 30 2014 at 14:49
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 14:41
The Oscillation

From Tomorrow cover art
From Tomorrow

Another English neo-psych band with a more progressive bent and darker Krautrock soundscapes that reference
Can and Neu!, with echos of space rock with a raw punk edge at times. The music has an existential  vibe similar to The Flaming Lips' Embrionic and The Terror albums as the vocals are low in the sound mix and and intermittent. The Oscillation are definitely not as upbeat as Schnauser so their darker sound might be an acquired taste. 
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 14:58
I love Small Faces, Traffic, Love, Youngbloods...
Some great music on Country Joe & The Fish' Electronic Music For The Mind And Body.  "Section 43" on that album may be my favorite track in the genre. Thus far, because there is so much to discover...
There are many obscure bands in the genre that only released only one album.
Many of them quite good!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 15:06
^Country Joe and the Fish did release a few albums after Electric Music for the Mind like I-Feel-Like-I'm -Fixing-to Day-Rag and Together, but they were more politically charged and the psych elements took a book seat to the concerns of the counter culture.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 09:09
13th Floor Elevators
Live Evolution Lost
Live Evolution Lost
Charly Records (U.K.) double CD hard cover booklet standard issue

It's impossible to examine the 13th Floor Elevators' two seminal albums, the dated revved up 'turn on' driving rock of The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators and it's radically different quieter, poetic, esoteric and time transcending follow up Easter Everywhere, without considering the band's many contexts that they inhabited from 1965 to 1967.

A few for example were their isolation in and detention in Texas following drug busts, paranoia resulting from same and their own heavy intake of hallucinogenic drugs. 

Live Evolution Lost is a recent unearthing of the groups February 1967 concert at the newly built Huston Music Theater. This concert has previously turned up on bootlegs over the years and is famous (infamous) for the fact that Elevators' lead guitarist Stacy Sutherland dropped a large dose of acid before the show and was tripping out of his mind.

The sound quality of this concert recording is poor and really should have stayed in storage where it belonged. However,  it is a gem for die hard Elevator fans as they will scoop up any rare releases that feature the band.

I can only find interest in knowing that this concert took place directly before The Elevators recorded Easter Everywhere at the end of February 1967, so it helps to put the bands output into context. As to the sound quality, give this one a pass.

I will deconstruct both The Psychedelic Sounds... And Easter Everywhere albums in later posts as time allows as both require a fair bit of exposition to get at the heart of their appeal and importance.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:33
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 10:03
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I love Small Faces, Traffic, Love, Youngbloods...
Some great music on Country Joe & The Fish' Electronic Music For The Mind And Body.  "Section 43" on that album may be my favorite track in the genre. Thus far, because there is so much to discover...
There are many obscure bands in the genre that only released only one album.
Many of them quite good!

I agree...I love the old classic psych bands and as you pointed out there are quite a few one hit wonders who did some nice tracks. Many of those can be found on the various psych rock compilations.
The 'modern' psych rock bands are interesting but many don't have that same retro quality that I like.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 10:07

13th Floor Elevators
Live Evolution Lost
Live Evolution Lost

It's impossible to examine the 13th Floor Elevators' two seminal albums, the dated revved up 'turn on' driving rock of The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators and it's radically different quieter, poetic, esoteric and time transcending follow up Easter Everywhere, without considering the band's many contexts that they inhabited from 1965 to 1967.

A few for example were their isolation in and detention in Texas following drug busts, paranoia resulting from same and their own heavy intake of hallucinogenic drugs. 

Live Evolution Lost is a recent unearthing of the groups February 1967 concert at the newly built Huston Music Theater. This concert has previously turned up on bootlegs over the years and is famous (infamous) for the fact that Elevators' lead guitarist Stacy Sotherland dropped a large dose of acid before the show and was tripping out of his mind.

The sound quality of this concert recording is poor and really should have stayed in storage where it belonged. However,  it is a gem for die hard Elevator fans as they will scoop up any rare releases that feature the band.

I can only find interest in knowing that this concert took place directly before The Elevators recorded Easter Everywhere at the end of February 1967, so it helps to put the bands output into context. As to the sound quality, give this one a pass.

I will deconstruct both The Psychedelic Sounds... And Easter Everywhere albums in later posts as time allows as both require a fair bit of exposition to get at the heart of their appeal and importance.

Though I like those 2 Elevator albums ..I'm not as enamored of them as you are. I always thought they sounded a bit rough around the edges and some of the tracks just weren't that good.
At any rate this is the Roky collection I have on cd.
Youre Gonna Miss Me: The Best Of Roky Erickson

Edited by dr wu23 - December 30 2014 at 10:08
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 12:08

The Oscillation

From Tomorrow cover art
From Tomorrow

Tried this one last night. Just killer. Like Bauhaus gone dark psych. I'm loving it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 14:43

Dr Wu23 wrote:

Though I like those 2 Elevator albums ..I'm not as enamored of them as you are. I always thought they sounded a bit rough around the edges and some of the tracks just weren't that good.
At any rate this is the Roky collection I have on cd.
Youre Gonna Miss Me: The Best Of Roky Erickson
 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm with you Doc as to the Elevators' rough sound on those two albums and I'd like to explain why they sounded that way when I can find the time.
I've never heard the best of album that you have, but from the title I'm guessing it's a mix of Elevators and Roky solo songs.

Edited by SteveG - December 30 2014 at 14:47
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 14:48
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

The Oscillation

From Tomorrow cover art
From Tomorrow

Tried this one last night. Just killer. Like Bauhaus gone dark psych. I'm loving it.
I thought you would like this one Lear, it's pretty awesome.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 11:46
The 13th Floor Elevators

The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
Charly Records (U.K.) double CD standard hard cover booklet reissue.  

The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevatorsrecorded and released in 1966, is not a great psychedelic rock album or a great hard rock album. And it's as certainly as far from prog rock as you can get. The album is simply a great mid sixties American rock album that was performed by amateurs and recorded, mixed, and mastered by amateurs. The band were proponents of LSD and did have suggestive lyrics that tried to emulate the experience of an LSD high and the enlightenment that the use of this drug offered. What amazes me personally  is that the band recorded this album under the influence of LSD or the more potent DMT as was  actually able to make coherent music. According to the Elevators' biographer and album reissue producer for Charly Records U.K., Paul Drummond, this is what has fascinated him about the group for decades and the man has gone to extraordinary lengths to find every available decent sounding tape source, acetates and when he had to, original vinyl.

The mixing and mastering of Psychedelic sounds... was done in a rough shod manor with heavy echo and reverb heavily plastered over the bulk of the songs and the album was cheaply mastered to vinyl to offer nothing more than a foggy dense soup of sound that diminished highs, muddy up bass and rendered Roky Erickson's vocals only half audible or partly faded. The previously release singles You're Gonna Miss Me, Reverberation and their two B sides were spared some of the heavier applied reverb, but heavy echo was still applied.

The common wisdom is that the record's producer, not the band who were touring in San Francisco,  who applied  the exaggerated eho and reverb that the band themselves requested for the eerie song Kingdom of Heaven, thought it would have been a great idea if it was applied to the who album.

There's no crime with an independent show string low budget label (International Artists of Texas) making a decision like that at the time.

Again, we are talking about amateurs. The crime is that none of the original multi track session masters still exist so that the album can be remixed, restored and remastered, as is common practice in the modern recorded music world.

Charly's double CD 2010 remaster includes a mono mux of the album that was pain staking to remaster as all surface noice like scratches and pops had to be digitally removed and the album re EQ'ed the best the could as reverse mastering sound is only possible to a certain extent.

The second CD contains a remaster of the only surviving stereo safety master with an uneven sound mix and the echo and reverb applied. Again, Charly and Drummond did fantastic work to clean up tape noise and make a presentable album.

To drive the point home, Drummond was able to locate original engineer Bill Sullivan's better balanced original stereo reference mixes devoid of any added tape echo or reverb on the following five tracks: Roller Coaster, Thru the Rhythm, Fire Engine, Tried to Hide and Monkey Island.

These few reference mixes show what the album could have sounded like with Roky's vocals and Sutherland's guitar for more prominent and the drums centered in the sound mix. Drummer John Walton's heavy handed ride cymbal is still loud in the mix for Tried to Hide but without the added echo so that it no longer sounds like an annoying cow bell from outer space.

It's these glimpses of what the Elevators' actually sounded like and how articulate Roky's vocals were, even with all his banshee wailing, (God bless him) is what makes this album so much more impressive.

As I stated, if you're looking for heavy psych or prog, you will not find it here. But if you're looking for good Americna rock produced in the mid sixties that is a cross between Blues rock, the Kinks, heavily reverbed guitars that owe much to Dick Dale  and  his California surf sound all tied together with a vocalist that is a equal parts James Brown and Little Richard, then you've come to the right place.

Next time I'll take a look Chary's cache of Elevator masters that were recorded prior to Psychedelic Sounds... and actually were actually used for the singles You're Gonna Miss Me and Reverberation, on the 2010 Charly compilation Headstone: The Contact Sessions.

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2015 at 04:52
The reissue of that album which I own has bonus tracks of Roky Erickson's pre-Elevators band The Spades. I think it's a live recording with half the setlist consisting of old blues/folk standards, if I remember correctly. It's not exactly what I'd call essential, but an interesting curio for people interested in how the first psychedelia evolved out of "normal" rock music.

For the record I get the impression that the Elevators are one of those music groups who are more influential than popular to this day, I had never even heard of them until reading a book about psychedelic rock's history yet apparently they were an influence on not just the Southwestern US psych-scene but also European acts like Pink Floyd in the early days. Interstellar Overdrive's a pretty obvious homage to Roller Coaster for example.

Apparently the band was poised to get really big at the same time as a combination of Erickson's drug arrests and mental health problems forced them to disband?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 10:17
^Yes TM, Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators was only regionally popular, mainly to South California and Texas of course, and was reported to have sold no more than 40,000 copies on release in 1966 and did not even make the Billboard record charts.

The claims that the band influenced everything from early punk, modern alternate rock to Robert Plant's vocals always seemed way overstated to me. I just get satisfaction of knowing that the Elevators did a lot of things first regardless of who or what they were said to have influenced.

It's only been within the last 15 years that both Psychedelic Sounds  and it's follow up Easter Everywhere have come to be critically regarded by everyone from Allmusic's Rock Record Guide, Q  and Uncut to Rolling Stone Magazine as American rock essentials.

The live Spades' material on your album might be available on a U.S. reissue called Gremlins Have Pictures.

I will definitely check it out.  

Edited by SteveG - March 12 2015 at 09:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>