Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:11
^I would be remiss if I didn't state that there was one Moodys song from the To Our Children's Children's Children (what a title!)  album that did grab me called  Candle of Life (sic?) which she played constantly and was quite beautiful.

Perhaps I should go and check it out again.

Edited by SteveG - January 06 2015 at 11:31
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I would be remiss if I didn't state that their was one Moodys song from the To Our Children's Children's Children  album that did grab me called  Candle of Life (sic?) which she played constantly and was quite beautiful.

Perhaps I should go and check it out again.
Oh, there's plenty. The whole suite that closes out On the Threshold of a Dream is superb (and prog before there was prog):

As you referred to To Our Children's Children's Children, my favorite is Gypsy (Of a Strange and Distant Time):

And the follow-up album A Question of Balance has one hell of a difficult acoustic intro (I know, I've gotten carpal tunnel playing that damn song):

Like Traffic, The Moody Blues were the relaxing, contemplative interludes between Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper and all the other hard rock I listened to as a teen in the early 70s. Can't have the dark without the light.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:45
^Thanks Greg. I still have all of my sister's Moody albums and they're in great shape, so I'll do so re-evaluating.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 11:51
Dr. John
The Night Tripper still going strong at 70.
A mixture of voodoo, hoodoo, New Orleans style jazz, blues, rock and psychedelia fueled Dr. John's first studio album 1968's Gris Gris which featured his must covered song I walk on Gilded Splinters.

Edited by SteveG - January 06 2015 at 13:45
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 12:09
^ Why haven't I been told of this guy earlier? Trying out Gris Gris, and it's some awesome stuff. I've been missing out!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 12:19
Great cover of a Dr. John song:

Peter Frampton actually even had balls on this album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:44
^Humble Pie. Yum Yum!Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 13:53

^Humble Pie. Yum Yum!Thumbs Up

Saw the late, great Steve Marriot a few times and was never disappointed. The man had a set of pipes!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2015 at 18:18
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 05:21

^Same here. I liked DOFP but that's as far as it went for me. There was much darker or harder edged stuff  around at that time that caught my eye. Wink

I also don't find their songwriting quite as involving when it comes to things like narrative structure as early King Crimson, the best ELP songs which obviously took a lot from them. I guess The Moody Blues had to come first for others to improve on them, either that or the problem is with me since they're too overtly poppy for my taste. I don't particularly listen to The Beatles or The Beach Boys very often either, and I'm not sure how much of my appreciation for Procol Harum is just out of nostalgia.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 09:08
^I don't know about just nostalgia talking as PH most certainly had a strict non pop aesthetic as compared to the other pop groups, as you mentioned, and do fall into more serious prog presentation (with some strange lyrics at times). And PM's music still seems holds up for me compared to many other late sixties proto proggers.

Edited by SteveG - January 07 2015 at 10:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 09:14
Luder
Adelphophagia
Adelphophagia (2014)

Passed on to me by a friend, these Detroit Psych/Prog rockers sound like a cross between modern day Motorhead and vintage Hawkwind or Sabbath mixed with other early seventies space rockers. And they feature an engaging female vocalist who has the necessary pipes for this type of musical concoction.

I'm still trying to draw a definitive opinion on the disc, but I'm definitely intrigued. And surprised. 

Edited by SteveG - January 07 2015 at 09:26
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 11:20
Just dug up the jam session between Hendrix and McLaughlin. Enjoy!:

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 12:37

^I don't know about just nostalgia talking as PH most certainly had a strict non pop aesthetic as compared to the other pop groups, as you mentioned, and do fall into more serious prog presentation (with some strange lyrics at times). And PM's music still seems holds up for me compared to many other late sixties proto proggers.

The issue I have with The Moody Blues is one I also have with Tomorrow, Traffic and other of the first wave of progressive rock groups since their songwriting isn't as involved as the next wave of musicians they inspired even though the overall "sound" is already there. Maybe the problem is that I heard Jethro Tull, King Crimson etc. first... so when listening to a good deal of "proto-prog", it feels like something is missing or sounds somewhat off for me.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 16:18

MGMT - Management, is you'd prefer - were The Next Big Thing back in 2007 when they dropped their debut LP Oracular Spectacular (upper right), and for good reason. The duo of Ben Goldwater and Andrew VanWyngarden plied a truly spectacular mix of psychedelia and synthy, '80's-esque indietronic. It's always been very beautiful stuff. In fact, they're so good that up there I've included Climbing To New Lows (upper left), which is an album of demos from '05 that leaked, intentionally or not. Even that demo collection is more than worthwhile. I highly recommend Oracular Spectacular and Congratulations (lower left) at the least to adventerous psych fans, but this is all worth seeking out.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 16:34
^Two thumbs up on MGMT Thumbs UpThumbs Up and thanks for the Hendrix/McLaughlin vid.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 16:58
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

The issue I have with The Moody Blues is one I also have with Tomorrow, Traffic and other of the first wave of progressive rock groups since their songwriting isn't as involved as the next wave of musicians they inspired even though the overall "sound" is already there. Maybe the problem is that I heard Jethro Tull, King Crimson etc. first... so when listening to a good deal of "proto-prog", it feels like something is missing or sounds somewhat off for me.
No doubt that most Proto-prog leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the full blown Progressive Rock which came later but their are exceptions. And there are some Proto porg bands that I admire just for taking those first formative steps toward Prog.

Edited by SteveG - January 07 2015 at 16:59
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 17:38
Kula Shaker K    1995

One of the best and least remembered Neo Psych bands, England's Kula Shaker 1995 album K actually went to No. 1 on the U.K. charts that year. KS were more in the Psych Pop vain which probably accounts for their British chart popularity, but were well aware of all things 60's and 70's Psych and even featured a two part song in tribute to the late Jerry Garcia. 

Edited by SteveG - January 07 2015 at 17:47
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:24
just becouse I started a steppenwolf poll, doesnt mean i will not represent them hear with their bluesy psych rock

reminds me of Robin Trowers Porocl harum songs, and of the second Supertramp album

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 08:26
^You are way cool, Icarium!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>