Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahhh you were thinking of OsannaLOL

Regarding your last comment: Cry
Some things never change. 'If you don't understand the lingo, ditch the music'. Such a shame... 
Although to be fair, we're quite a few on here who couldn't give a rat's rectum about the lingoClap

well we shall see how this best example of English paternalism of 2nd rate prog, whose best albums were done PRE-PROG.. does against the greatest and perhaps most respected of all 'foreign' prog groups. I expect a war,  but hope to have a close match. ELP-Camel sort of reaffirmed my faith in the forum to judge fairly and loss the bullsh*t they've had tossed in their ears by critics and haters.. we shall see if 2nd rate English music will trump 1st rate non-English music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:46
I don't think we have as many anti-anything members as we used to have, although there still is a healthy population of folks who run screaming for the hills whenever DT gets mentioned, but just before their hike they take out the time to enlighten the rest of us on how awful the music is. That goes for ELP as well, but we can't change the world all at once. Like I said, it's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago, and that pleases me immenselyBig smile

Still, a little poke here and a little stab there don't hurt anybody and adds a little hoho to what otherwise might turn into a librarians' convention.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 07:56

I don't think we have as many anti-anything members as we used to have, although there still is a healthy population of folks who run screaming for the hills whenever DT gets mentioned, but just before their hike they take out the time to enlighten the rest of us on how awful the music is. That goes for ELP as well, but we can't change the world all at once. Like I said, it's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago, and that pleases me immenselyBig smile

Still, a little poke here and a little stab there don't hurt anybody and adds a little hoho to what otherwise might turn into a librarians' convention.

yes, along with some obvious changes in the general forum atmosphere here since the old wild-west days, I have most certainly seen that. Another reason why I thought ELP might well really give Camel a run for their money. The anti-factions are definitely not as strong as they once were here.

oh and I do live for a little poking and stabbing.. it was easier back when the general forum knew me and my style well... I have had to be a bit more careful with all the new folks around perhaps not recognizing it isn't anything mean-spirited ...just all in fun. Nothing sucks more than a dull forum.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:30

Ahhh you were thinking of OsannaLOL

Regarding your last comment: Cry
Some things never change. 'If you don't understand the lingo, ditch the music'. Such a shame... 
Although to be fair, we're quite a few on here who couldn't give a rat's rectum about the lingoClap

Yes, I've noticed that the contingent of those who won't touch anything in a language other than English with the proverbial ten-foot pole seems to have dwindled to almost nothing. Like you, I am not a native speaker of English, and I teach my own native language for a living, therefore that attitude really got on my nerves big time. A few years ago I even wrote an essay for my blog, which you (or others) might be interested in reading - triggered by an extremely stupid remark found in a Prog mag review: http://progmistress.com/2011/07/27/speak-english-or-die-prog-in-other-languages/
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:42
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Yes, I've noticed that the contingent of those who won't touch anything in a language other than English with the proverbial ten-foot pole seems to have dwindled to almost nothing. Like you, I am not a native speaker of English, and I teach my own native language for a living, therefore that attitude really got on my nerves big time. A few years ago I even wrote an essay for my blog, which you (or others) might be interested in reading - triggered by an extremely stupid remark found in a Prog mag review: http://progmistress.com/2011/07/27/speak-english-or-die-prog-in-other-languages/

Wow, I certainly missed that essay, Raffa, but I liked the part (response box): "Brazilian friends are always welcome here." Hug
Guigo

~~~~~~
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:45
Gong are winning! Shocked  Can't hardly believe it.  LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 08:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Gong are winning! Shocked  Can't hardly believe it.  LOL

I see Rush - Le Orme all over this one.  Down to the wire me thinks this one is going.. which we need.. we haven't been blessed with enough really tight ones.  The ones we had though.. have made it all worthwhile!
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 12:20
Gong
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:10
Gong of course. I even like their dull albums.
qwiksand View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 13:21
Gong by a mile!
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:07
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Come on. This is Detroit people!! If Rush doesn't start getting more votes the Canadians will start marching over the bridge. There is already a crowd beginning to mass in Windsor.

Tell the Canadians their beer is nothing more than a pee! Evil Smile

Wouldn't even faze those polite people. Probably just say, "Well, more for me then eh."

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:26
If Gong wins, I lose a lot of respect for users on this siteTongue

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:38

[who won't touch anything in a language other than English with the proverbial ten-foot pole seems to have dwindled to almost nothing. 

The language of music is universal. AFAIC, the less chatter (in what ever tongue), the better Clap

What I would not touch even with a barge pole is English language lyrics that were written and/or sung by someone who did it for commercial purposes only, without a compelling emotional reason for doing so. My favorite (and very negative) example would be Garota D' Ipanema "translated", or rather re-written into English for facilitating the US sales. As the result, The Girl From Ipanema words in English sounds corny and stale. 

I looked up the original lyrics, picked up a few dozen Portuguese words, learned how to pronounce them, and guess what - I am glad I did. Stimulation and learning new things is what keeps your brain alive. Besides, I felt like I had a unique chance to peek into the long gone Carioca world of the early 1960s. 

I would encourage all songwriters outside of the Anglosphere to consider writing poetry in the language they are most comfortable with, to keep it genuine and eloquent. As for the listeners .. online translators are free to use and they are getting better, so no-one is going to die if a band sings in Norwegian or Italian.  

Edited by Argonaught - December 21 2014 at 14:40
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 14:42
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

[who won't touch anything in a language other than English with the proverbial ten-foot pole seems to have dwindled to almost nothing. 

The language of music is universal. AFAIC, the less chatter (in what ever tongue), the better Clap

What I would not touch even with a barge pole is English language lyrics that were written and/or sung by someone who did it for commercial purposes only, without a compelling emotional reason for doing so. My favorite (and very negative) example would be Garota D' Ipanema "translated", or rather re-written into English for facilitating the US sales. As the result, The Girl From Ipanema words in English sounds corny and stale. 

I looked up the original lyrics, picked up a few dozen Portuguese words, learned how to pronounce them, and guess what - I am glad I did. Stimulation and learning new things is what keeps your brain alive. Besides, I felt like I had a unique chance to peek into the long gone Carioca world of the early 1960s. 

I would encourage all songwriters outside of the Anglosphere to consider writing poetry in the language they are most comfortable with, to keep it genuine and eloquent. As for the listeners .. online translators are free to use and they are getting better, so no-one is going to die if a band sings in Norwegian or Italian.  

Very well saidClap. You would make an ideal language student - which is not always the case with your fellow Americans.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

If Gong wins, I lose a lot of respect for users on this siteTongue
Seriously?

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:32

Very well saidClap. You would make an ideal language student - which is not always the case with your fellow Americans.

Once I have worked through my post-divorce financial misery (tentatively expected by mid-2015 Geek), I would be interested in learning Italian .. I love the fact that it's phonetic and feels unisex, and doesn't involve making unpleasant sounds .. unless I am deluding myself LOL

Do they also teach the art of Italian gesticulation ibidem? 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:37
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Once I have worked through my post-divorce financial misery (tentatively expected by mid-2015 Geek), I would be interested in learning Italian .. I love the fact that it's phonetic and feels unisex, and doesn't involve making unpleasant sounds .. unless I am deluding myself LOL

Do they also teach the art of Italian gesticulation ibidem? 

I generally do Wink....
qwiksand View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by qwiksand qwiksand wrote:

Gong by a mile!

Hmm, having posted this I notice that I am unable to vote in this poll (or any others!). Is this a function of my 'newbiness' and/or small number of posts? As I couldn't see it in the FAQ, can someone inform me of the criteria for being allowed to vote?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 17:42
ˆI think you need to post 50 times first
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 17:51
Gong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>