63 [67.02%]
31 [32.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:11

Just checked with the Mrs and she said my votes fine.  But next time I need to aske her first.
Help me I'm falling!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:16
I checked with my wife and she said she hates that noodly crap so I guess no vote for me the rest of the tournament.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:16
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Tull comfortably. Now that we have all the tull remixes, they have too many strong tracks every year for Genesis to compete with them. I doubt several Genesis fans have the all important tull remixed box sets so they are missing out on half their great tracks

Have you ever considered there was a reason a lot of this stuff wasn't released? Wink

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:18
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Just checked with the Mrs and she said my votes fine.  But next time I need to aske her first.

yeah that must suck... if only I could Raff to see the 'light' regarding Jethro Dull.. though she was at least smart enough to recognize that PFM was a far superior group and she voted for them. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:23
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Tull comfortably. Now that we have all the tull remixes, they have too many strong tracks every year for Genesis to compete with them. I doubt several Genesis fans have the all important tull remixed box sets so they are missing out on half their great tracks

Have you ever considered there was a reason a lot of this stuff wasn't released? Wink

hmmm...I'll answer that one Alex.

I'll take sh*tty Jethro Tull outtakes for $1000

perhaps it was because they weren't up to the standards of the crap they did release. LOL  hah. It isn't like Tull had albums filled to the brim with classics...  if it didn't make an album...  urrgggg.

Nostaglia... the kryptonite to a prog fans intellect.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:36
Tull
rotten hound of the burnie crew
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

perhaps it was because they weren't up to the standards of the crap they did release. LOL  hah. It isn't like Tull had albums filled to the brim with classics...  if it didn't make an album...  urrgggg.

Micky, forget your almost psychotic love for a second-tier Italian wedding band for a moment. We realize your love in this instance is unnatural and perhaps not even legal in some countries. We still accept you as that sort of weird uncle who we only have to see on certain holidays. Tongue

But I will point you to the fact that the output from Tull during the early 70s was phenomenal, to the point where an album of b-sides, EP releases and songs left off albums actually went to #3 in the U.S.; in fact the album Living in the Past was so good, even the Rolling Stone magazine (who usually abhor Tull and consider the New York Dolls musically important) rated the album 5 stars. To this day, it's still one of my favorite Tull albums.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:46

'Italian Wedding Band' LOL LOL

Big smile
Help me I'm falling!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:50
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

'Italian Wedding Band' LOL LOL

Big smile

yeah.. that was good wasn't it LOLClap
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:53
Genesis by a very narrow margin. I do prefer Ian Anderson vocally to Gabriel and Collins.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 14:55
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Micky, forget your almost psychotic love for a second-tier Italian wedding band for a moment. We realize your love in this instance is unnatural and perhaps not even legal in some countries. We still accept you as that sort of weird uncle who we only have to see on certain holidays. Tongue

But I will point you to the fact that the output from Tull during the early 70s was phenomenal, to the point where an album of b-sides, EP releases and songs left off albums actually went to #3 in the U.S.; in fact the album Living in the Past was so good, even the Rolling Stone magazine (who usually abhor Tull and consider the New York Dolls musically important) rated the album 5 stars. To this day, it's still one of my favorite Tull albums.

yeah... and that album was done by the PRE-Prog version of the group which no one is their right mind DOES NOT like LOL  That was a great group with 4 great albums.

the issues isn't whether Tull sucks.. they don't.. or whether their 70's stuff sucks.. it doesn't.. they have a leg up on Genesis in that LOL... the issue really cuts to the heart of what is better... fabulously done folksie-blues rock or average to mediocre prog rock.  For some... including myself.. .Tull died in the heart when they reached for more than they were capable of delivering. 

Edited by micky - January 04 2015 at 14:56
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:14

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

yeah... and that album was done by the PRE-Prog version of the group which no one is their right mind DOES NOT like LOL  That was a great group with 4 great albums.

the issues isn't whether Tull sucks.. they don't.. or whether their 70's stuff sucks.. it doesn't.. they have a leg up on Genesis in that LOL... the issue really cuts to the heart of what is better... fabulously done folksie-blues rock or average to mediocre prog rock.  For some... including myself.. .Tull died in the heart when they reached for more than they were capable of delivering. 
See, but I believe you are in the wrong there, Mick. Thick as a Brick was a prog masterpiece and both a critical and commercial success, beyond anything that Genesis had ever done, progressively speaking (Genesis didn't have a #1 album in the States till they started making pop tunes with Duke). Tull went afoul of the critics when they had the balls to release a second album with no singles, A Passion Play, but that still went to #1 (and the recent APP remaster is truly great -- should've been a double album back when it was originally released). Afterwards, albums like Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Woods and Heavy Horses are as proggy as any Genesis from the same era and are absolutely great albums.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 04 2015 at 15:15
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:28
oh yeah.  I have no doubt fans of the group love the albums. Arguing tastes is pointless.

Hence the discussion we had previously.  For those NOT fans there really is only one classic album.. Thick as a Brick

Even then for some... like me... it might be a classic. and acknowledge it as such..  but still find it is still boring as hell. LOL  The single taken from it sums the album up well. That is an immediate strike against it in my book.

Try doing that with a Yes album.. that ain't happening. If you can pull a 7 minute bit of it... then what does it say of the rest of it... oh yeah... that it is fluff.. pure and simple.  Listen to a similar attempt to do the same with Close to the Edge... simply unlistenable. That is IMO the difference between well constructed... great Prog rock.. and average to mediocre slapped together prog, with great core (inital idead) and a disposable body ..the fluff.

Which again goes back to what made great Tull great in the first place and what they did so well.. nice simple 4 to 5 minute long songs and without the intellectual bullsh*t.  Very few can do it well,  most fail miserably at it. One reason for the enduring brilliance of Yes is they were one of the few that could do it, yet couched it so abstractly and obtusely you really don't know or care what Jon was singing about.

Edited by micky - January 04 2015 at 15:29
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:30
Genesis, of course!! so, you're making fun of the latter band's name while they're at their end? well that's just great.
Progrockdude
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 15:56

Tulls outtakes and b sides are many of their best tracks? 50 of tulls best 100 songs are non album tracks. They weren't on the albums because Ian wanted to produce some commercial radio free songs for each album. That's the only reason I can come up with.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 16:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Genesis by quite a vast margin. I do love the early Tull years though.
same here
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 16:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I checked with my wife and she said she hates that noodly crap so I guess no vote for me the rest of the tournament.
i'm hip.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 17:18
I'll take up the pool, wondring again, life is a long and dr bogenbroom over all songs on side 2 of aqualung. Same with good godmother, glory row, saturation, paradise steakhouse, March the mad scientist, rainbow Blues over sealion, bungle, two fingers, third Hoorah or Teacher and witches promise over everything on Benefit. How about the cool extended version of foot of our stairs and the remixes of audition and left right. That's what I call quality

Edited by dr prog - January 04 2015 at 17:20
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 18:21
When my Prog addiction started over 25 years ago, Genesis was essential, but over the years JT's discography grows and grows.
For the good old times, Genesis +1.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 18:22
Although I love Genesis, Tull is much more my favorite.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>