Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 14:08
Well I was thinking the once or twice Nico nursed a failing/shaky car to the end but that can also be luck. 
Like I said, no one who's sane will claim Nico is better anyway, I just hope he can hang with to keep it mildly exciting is all. I can take Merc dominance as long as its like last year, until the end. 

Not much happening at Sebring for the moment but there's been a lead change, Christian Fittipaldi over Mike Rockenfeller
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 06:49
Not the most exciting Sebring 12 Hours thats for sure, but I'm glad there was a lot less full course yellow this time (more than 6 hours of last years race was run under yellow!), but a good win for Bourdais, Fittipaldi and Barbosa.

I feel sorry for the drivers who race at Krohn, that car is a rocket ship that could easily win races but Tracy Krohn is both slow and accident prone (spun 3 times yesterday, but the pitlane accident wasn't his fault).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 13:51
Yeah it really wasn't, but that is fair. Guess it wouldn't be American racing without thatLOL
I'll never forget seeing Nascar at Pocono and it was 5 hours long, 2.5 of which were yellow Dead
Or even the Indy GP in the day with is horrible long yellows. 

Good win indeed. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 14:53
I have to chime in on this one. I've been watching sports car racing in the States since the old Can Am days and I've never seen a race won by a lap with a car that had a broken front sway bar. (Daytona prototype class). Thanks  to IMSA and Nascar for royally screwing up American road racing. Unhappy

Edited by SteveG - March 22 2015 at 14:59
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 08:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I have to chime in on this one. I've been watching sports car racing in the States since the old Can Am days and I've never seen a race won by a lap with a car that had a broken front sway bar. (Daytona prototype class). Thanks  to IMSA and Nascar for royally screwing up American road racing. Unhappy

There was a bit of talk about that, seems it might have played into Bourdais's hands inparticular as it added some understand when the changing track conditions were making all the cars tend towards oversteer, something Bourdais doesnt like. And I've been a fan of Barbosa's since he started pulling off giant killing performances in the Rollcentre Racing Dallara LMP 10 years ago.

I think Action Express were just really hooked up for the race, along with the faster ESM cars dropping out with steering rack/turbo failures and the extremely fast Krohn car being hobbled by Tracy Krohn. I was surprised at how slow Ganassi were.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 09:35
^In any other racing series, a broken sway bar would only help you in the rain. I think these cars might just be trucks in racing stripes. LOL

Edited by SteveG - March 23 2015 at 10:18
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 16:15
Well I wont argue against DP's being on the agricultarul side of racing, but a cars balance swings wildely over the course of the Sebring 12 hours, probably more than any other race thanks to the mix of surfaces with concrete and asphault and because it was super hot during the day but the race finishes at night when it's a lot cooler. Several other teams did mention that as the grip level went up the cars got very pointy with a super grippy front end and a lot of oversteer, so a broken front anti roll bar would have helped counter that.

I will be glad to see them replaced with LMP's though.

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 17:27
Maybe because we recently got back from a vacation in Europe and I haven't been able to watch any racing aside from the horrible opening round to the F1 season, but I haven't really enjoyed racing this year.  Not yet, anyway. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 06:51
^Have you tried watching the Formula E races, they're surprisingly entertaining with a very strong grid and the next rounds from Long Beach.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 00:07
I need to give it another chance.  I watched the first race and, aside from the crazy last lap, found it to be underwhelming and there were some aspects of it that I didn't like (changing cars, live DJ, etc.), but I've been at least reading about it a little.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 07:17
Thankfully the live DJ doesnt have much of a prescence during the race anymore, I think most people didn't like that, and it'll be a few years before the batteries have been developed enough so they don't have to change car midway but the racing quality is excellent, Beijing was just a rubbish track all round but Buenes Aries and Miami were both excellent and well, Long Beach is Long Beach.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 11:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Well I wont argue against DP's being on the agricultarul side of racing, but a cars balance swings wildely over the course of the Sebring 12 hours, probably more than any other race thanks to the mix of surfaces with concrete and asphault and because it was super hot during the day but the race finishes at night when it's a lot cooler. Several other teams did mention that as the grip level went up the cars got very pointy with a super grippy front end and a lot of oversteer, so a broken front anti roll bar would have helped counter that.

I will be glad to see them replaced with LMP's though.
I'm not going to challenge your expertise (JJ said you were the site expert Wink) but slick conditions would seem to swing the the other way once the night time settled in and the ambient dropped.

However, we can certainly agree that DPs leave a lot to be desired.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 16:07
I think there are very few motorbike fans here, but:

1. Any thoughts about Kawasaki's 325 horsepower production (though not road legal) bike Ninja H2R?
Apparently it's perhaps not the quickest to lap in a circuit but it's not either a drag bike for straight line acceleration only, it's a bike which can really handle but provides unprecedented acceleration and torque experience (by being supercharged if only a 1000 cc engine). Test journalists reached 221 mph / 355 km/h in the press test in Lossail circuit in Qatar, and they said top speed would have been even faster was the straight longer Shocked.

Probably a bike to make history.

The road legal version H2 has 'only' 200 horsepower.

Watch the video at the bottom of the article if you are interested.

2. This weekend starts the MotoGP season in Qatar. Based on the pre-season tests it seems that it can be a very interesting championship, many manufacturers and riders are very close, Ducati seems to have improved a lot and we have new factory teams for Suzuki and Aprilia. I look forward to this MotoGP season!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 21:49
I very loosly follow MotoGP, but much more of a car man myself.

221mph at Losail! Thats nuts as it's such a micky mouse circuite with nothing but short streights, I'd almost be worried to see what it could do at Mugello.

@SteveG I think we can agree that the DP's are the only race cars going where something like this might happen, technologically they were 20 years out of date when first introduced 10 years ago and very much deserved the "greenhouse on wheels" moniker. And your right, all things being equal if the available grip level goes up you'd expect a car to develop understeer since the rear tyres are larger than the fronts and offer a proportionally greater increase in grip than the fronts would (does not apply to LMP1's though, they all run the exact same size of tyre front and rear but of different construction specs). However, things like tyre pressures, compounds and suspension and aero set ups will have a big effect on the way the cars balance changes as well.

If I had to guess I'd say it was down to one of two things (or maybe both) the Continental tyres they all run which definitely aren't a match for anything Dunlop or Michelin could produce, or the DP's themselves but since teams running Coyote, Riley and Dallara chassis all said the same thing I'd be inclined to say it was the tyres.

Also, Indycar starts up this weekend again, St Petes.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 00:05
Yes I am excited. I think this could be a nutty Indycar year. It seems reasonable to me that Power, RHR, and Castroneves will all be legit title contenders, with a strong chance of JPM being in there, Dixon who can't ever be ruled out, and even Pagenaud who seems always lurking. 

I think a big year for Carlos Munoz too, who could really impress and is still young, future F1 potential? 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:05
Pagenaud is my favorite for the title this year since he's in a fourth Penske now, Simona de Silvestro is back and driving for Andretti, at least for a few races but no Justin Wilson this year unfortunately, just couldn't get a deal closed.

I think Munoz is good enough but not F1's radar, and would have to bring a lot of sponsorship anyway, same goes for Sage Karam.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 00:58
I caught a formula E race once...fairly entertaining. Thumbs Up

Glad to have Indycar back in the saddle. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 16:04
I'm definitely looking for some great drives out of Simon Pagenaud this year. I think he's found a home at Penske, where fast fearless drivers with brains are appreciated and do well.

Btw, did anyone catch F1 practice?

Edited by SteveG - March 27 2015 at 16:07
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 17:51
I didn't watch but Hamilton was fastest, just ahead of Raikkonen.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 23:18
I'm hoping for a good F1 race this weekend, or for at least a semi-full grid.  Baby steps, I guess.  At least NASCAR and Indy should be entertaining with Martinsville and St. Petersburg hosting generally good racing.  Logano on the pole for Sunday, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 24>