Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA general survey about P.A. and RYM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:53
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Thank youSmile! It was me who came up with the Eclectic Prog definition, a long time ago. I remember that couple of times I had to defend it in other forums, where people had taken exception to my "invention".

Forgive my confusion here but PA's Eclectic Prog definition is credited to one 'Ricochet (Victor)'Confused

Sue the swines Raff...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:16
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ Kati, this would be slightly of the topic but for me it's a kind of confirmation of my own hypothesis that *Eclectic Prog* the term was invented due to the serious problem that was - where to place King Crimson, the great band with so eclectic catalogue? with invented term *Eclectic Prog*, the problem is solved and everybody's happy.

Personally, I do like that *Eclectic Prog* the term as the name of the PA sub-genre as well, and I'm going to take this exceptional opportunity to express my gratitude to the one who came up with the idea for the *Eclectic prog* sub-genre - whoever it was.

However, all these unnecessary doubts regarding the sub-genre that not exist outside this site, would not exist if back then someone get very simple idea to make the national categories - same as *Rock Progressive Italiano*. Thus, King Crimson would have been placed immediately where they belong - in the British prog category; all Polish bands would be in the category of Polish prog, ex-Yugoslavia prog bands should be in ex-Yugoslav prog section (for example, my fav ex-Yugoslav band Smak is in PA' JR/F section although Smak actually have nothing less eclectic catalogue than e.g. KC) then Spanish progressive rock would be in PA's Rock Progresivo Español section, U.S. bands would be in U.S. Progressive rock section and so on.

Of course, some will say that it can not cover these definitions of certain styles, such as progressive psychedelia, jazz rock, symphonic rock, progressive metal, heavy prog, progressive electronic etc., but these stylistic definitions (and the time frames also) anyway would be certainly written in the biographies of the bands and in the reviews of the albums.
 Just my two cents Smile

Thank youSmile! It was me who came up with the Eclectic Prog definition, a long time ago. I remember that couple of times I had to defend it in other forums, where people had taken exception to my "invention".
Congrats again! It was really ingenious solution for KC (and many others) in that pretty unique categorization of the PA' sub-genres.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^So if one is looking for say progressive electronic they will have to wade through individual countries and study biographies to see if it's there? Doesn't compute to be honest.
I do however miss the opportunity of band listing by country. If we somehow could implement that as a feature on PA, I'd be a happy bunny
Well, nothing is perfect ... However, I do not think it would be a big problem to find  e.g. Tangerine Dream in supposed *German Prog* section.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 03:59

^ Kati, this would be slightly of the topic but for me it's a kind of confirmation of my own hypothesis that *Eclectic Prog* the term was invented due to the serious problem that was - where to place King Crimson, the great band with so eclectic catalogue? with invented term *Eclectic Prog*, the problem is solved and everybody's happy.

Personally, I do like that *Eclectic Prog* the term as the name of the PA sub-genre as well, and I'm going to take this exceptional opportunity to express my gratitude to the one who came up with the idea for the *Eclectic prog* sub-genre - whoever it was.

However, all these unnecessary doubts regarding the sub-genre that not exist outside this site, would not exist if back then someone get very simple idea to make the national categories - same as *Rock Progressive Italiano*. Thus, King Crimson would have been placed immediately where they belong - in the British prog category; all Polish bands would be in the category of Polish prog, ex-Yugoslavia prog bands should be in ex-Yugoslav prog section (for example, my fav ex-Yugoslav band Smak is in PA' JR/F section although Smak actually have nothing less eclectic catalogue than e.g. KC) then Spanish progressive rock would be in PA's Rock Progresivo Español section, U.S. bands would be in U.S. Progressive rock section and so on.

Of course, some will say that it can not cover these definitions of certain styles, such as progressive psychedelia, jazz rock, symphonic rock, progressive metal, heavy prog, progressive electronic etc., but these stylistic definitions (and the time frames also) anyway would be certainly written in the biographies of the bands and in the reviews of the albums.
 Just my two cents Smile

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 03:13
^So if one is looking for say progressive electronic they will have to wade through individual countries and study biographies to see if it's there? Doesn't compute to be honest.
I do however miss the opportunity of band listing by country. If we somehow could implement that as a feature on PA, I'd be a happy bunny
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 02:50

Just my two cents Smile

Edited by Svetonio - January 30 2015 at 02:54
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 00:13

^ Thank you, Kati. If you had not posted that report, I would not have learned that King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused
hahaha! Sventonio, I read that too Smile my pleasure and thank you too to you.
Hugs Hug
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 00:12
^ Thank you, Kati. If you had not posted that report, I would not have learned that King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 22:16
I found this general music survey about P.A. and RYM recently on the internet. It's interesting, although written in 2008 it's still very relevant today considering nothing much if anything has changed.
It's very much detailed, here is their Abstract summary index first page:

A general survey of social software is presented with a focus in social music cataloging services. Two example systems review and rating functionality are compared in detail. We observed a case of distorted product ratings, where overactive fan base promoted a single album at the expense of others. Despite the potential for unfair ratings, social cataloging systems are a promising form of participatory media, challenging and complementing traditional, professional reviews used in printmedia. Some suggestions are provided to issue the reliability and fairness of individual reviews.

I downloaded the pdf report, however here is the link: http://users.jyu.fi/~minurmin/opiskelu/web20/ratings.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678