Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA general survey about P.A. and RYM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 00:29
Reading back all these msg's inc. yours Dean on other forums, I had no idea anyone had tainted me on your private collab forum link, saying I was asking for 5 star reviews. This makes me so sad, I only ever asked Lucas and Angelo for a review on CS first album, also asked Juris through fb (fb name) aka VanDerGraafGenerator because he was a friend of Connor, who to date I think know that Connor is one of the nicest clever person's to date I have ever met. Thus total first album asked 3 people for a review, second album I have not asked anyone to review it.. I am sad because reading back  on a lot of things said and my happy ignorant replies, now I feel like a fool, I was an optimist and really loved it here.

Edited by Kati - March 22 2015 at 00:34
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 06:04
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Reading back all these msg's inc. yours Dean on other forums, I had no idea anyone had tainted me on your private collab forum link, saying I was asking for 5 star reviews. This makes me so sad, I only ever asked Lucas and Angelo for a review on CS first album, also asked Juris through fb (fb name) aka VanDerGraafGenerator because he was a friend of Connor, who to date I think know that Connor is one of the nicest clever person's to date I have ever met. Thus total first album asked 3 people for a review, second album I have not asked anyone to review it.. I am sad because reading back  on a lot of things said and my happy ignorant replies, now I feel like a fool, I was an optimist and really loved it here.

Continue being an optimist, Sonia. There are quite enough cynics, fanatics and out-and-out nuts on this forum. You needn't feel foolish or change your attitude here. And I do hope you decide to continue posting on PA. Like the endless whining over statistics, we need your optimism to counterbalance the cynicism; otherwise, it will be a darker place. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 06:26

I don't know what I have done to deserve specific mention in your post Sonia or where (or who) you have got this idea from. 

I make it a specific point of honour never to discuss what occurs in the CZ, SCZ and AZ or what is said in PMs anywhere public, and that includes FB. [in fact I never, ever discuss anything to do with the PA on FB]. Private conversations are called "private" for a fu*king reason.

I would never accuse anyone of anything without incontrovertible proof and then never, ever in a public forum. What happens in the private CZ forum remains private and confidential but as far as I recall I have never made any such claim there either - in fact I have gone to great lengths in the CZ and SCZ to demand than anyone making such a claim produced hard evidence before even thinking about making any accusations.

I have said on many occasions that it is okay for band members and their friends & family to post reviews and rate albums as long as they are honest and upfront about it. 

I have also suggested that it is also okay for people to ask others to rate and/or review an album as long as they don't try and influence those people into giving higher ratings or more favourable reviews than they believe the album warrants. I would also add that the prospective rater and/or reviewer should feel under no obligation to comply with anyone's wishes.

That aside, Conor (only one "n" in his name) is a good kid and a damn good writer, his presence here is missed, he poked the hornets nest here and ran away before he got stung but that is by-the-by and not something to discuss here.

Edited by Dean - March 22 2015 at 06:27
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 08:51
Everyone and their dog's understudy hairdresser's personal trainer on PA got asked to review the second Corvus Stone album. This type of carpet bombing spamming for reviews just chafes everyone's teats and would ordinarily be potentially counter productive to positive appraisals of this music from any discerning and objective reviewer. (I opened a separate thread devoted to the acceptability or otherwise of such marketing practices recently) The album's current score of 4.09 however, clearly contradicts this rationale and seems contrarily inflated by less than assiduous reviews. Yes, that IS judgmental isn't it?. I received a PM asking me to review the album which I flatly declined. I then bought the album based on a You Tube video for Boots for Hire which I enjoyed hugely. I've not submitted a written review yet but would hazard three sparklies from this habitually grudging rodent i.e. good but clearly NOT essential (CS II is a devoted and sincere fans' record, NOT an original artist's one) None of the foregoing spamming can be attributed to Sonia so where the accusations of reviewer manipulation stem from is at best obscure at at worst delusional. As Dean says, no-one on PA has any problem with band members, their friends and family submitting reviews as long as they don't pretend to be disinterested third parties.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 09:01
I personally get annoyed when I see newbies/zero posters in a review claiming that this or that album is the greatest thing since the Pill or something like that. I see this once again with Drifting Sun.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 09:50
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ Thank you, Kati. If you had not posted that report, I would not have learned that King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused

In the early 70's it WAS considered "art rock", as was YES, when it made it. I almost would suggest that the majority of stuff on the early FM radio in the US was all "art rock" ... and stopped being that when FM became just another commercial station!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 10:01
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Everyone and their dog's understudy hairdresser's personal trainer on PA got asked to review the second Corvus Stone album.

Liar! i wasn't asked!

Tongue

Shocked

LOL

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

I personally get annoyed when I see newbies/zero posters in a review claiming that this or that album is the greatest thing since the Pill or something like that. I see this once again with Drifting Sun.

I don't really see an issue with that, since in the long run other folks will add their own to it! I mean, I was thinking that after your response I would not want to listen or bother with that album at all, and I am pretty sure that the majority of folks on PA are much more discerning and caring about the music and the art form than that!

Edited by moshkito - March 22 2015 at 10:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 10:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

^ Thank you, Kati. If you had not posted that report, I would not have learned that King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused

In the early 70's it WAS considered "art rock", as was YES, when it made it. I almost would suggest that the majority of stuff on the early FM radio in the US was all "art rock" ... and stopped being that when FM became just another commercial station!

I currently have King Crimson & Yes categorized as "Art Rock" in my iTunes.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 13:56
Interesting article!  In Chicago during the 1970s, we typically referred to Yes, ELP etc. as "art rock."  Sometimes the term "theater rock" was also used, and this more broadly applied to Alice Cooper, David Bowie etc.  I never even heard of the term "prog" until well after Y2K.  

King Crimson is an interesting case study - many times they are symphonic ("In The Wake of Poseidon"), other times they are jazz-rock fusion, or totally improvised....I suppose "eclectic" is as good a term as any.  

However, all prog seems to be "eclectic" at the core, so these labels seem to be very loosely applied.  
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 02:59

Of course. I know that in the seventies, particularly on the other side of the Atlantic, the progressive rock was synonymously called art rock and that it was the same thing.
However, I wanted to point out something else. Back in 2007, Prog Archives had the "art rock" section as a separate genre - probably the acts a la Roxy Music, 10cc, David Bowie, Kate Bush and so on. As King Crimson was there, what was ridiculous, I pointed this:

Quote ^ Kati, this would be slightly off the topic but for me it's a kind of confirmation of my own hypothesis that *Eclectic Prog* the term was invented due to the serious problem that was - where to place King Crimson, the great band with so eclectic catalogue? with invented term *Eclectic Prog*, the problem is solved and everybody's happy.
Personally, I do like that *Eclectic Prog* the term as the name of the PA sub-genre as well, and I'm going to take this exceptional opportunity to express my gratitude to the one who came up with the idea for the *Eclectic prog* sub-genre - whoever it was.

However, all these unnecessary doubts regarding the sub-genre that not exist outside this site, would not exist if back then someone get very simple idea to make the national categories - same as *Rock Progressive Italiano*. Thus, King Crimson would have been placed immediately where they belong - in the British prog category; all Polish bands would be in the category of Polish prog, ex-Yugoslavia prog bands should be in ex-Yugoslav prog section (for example, my fav ex-Yugoslav band Smak is in PA' JR/F section although Smak actually have nothing less eclectic catalogue than e.g. KC) then Spanish progressive rock would be in PA's Rock Progresivo Espaņol section, U.S. bands would be in U.S. Progressive rock section and so on.

Of course, some will say that it can not cover these definitions of certain styles, such as progressive psychedelia, jazz rock, symphonic rock, progressive metal, heavy prog, progressive electronic etc., but these stylistic definitions (and the time frames also) anyway would be certainly written in the biographies of the bands and in the reviews of the albums.
 Just my two cents Smile

Edited by Svetonio - March 23 2015 at 06:00
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 23:16
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't know what I have done to deserve specific mention in your post Sonia or where (or who) you have got this idea from. 

I make it a specific point of honour never to discuss what occurs in the CZ, SCZ and AZ or what is said in PMs anywhere public, and that includes FB. [in fact I never, ever discuss anything to do with the PA on FB]. Private conversations are called "private" for a fu*king reason.

I would never accuse anyone of anything without incontrovertible proof and then never, ever in a public forum. What happens in the private CZ forum remains private and confidential but as far as I recall I have never made any such claim there either - in fact I have gone to great lengths in the CZ and SCZ to demand than anyone making such a claim produced hard evidence before even thinking about making any accusations.

I have said on many occasions that it is okay for band members and their friends & family to post reviews and rate albums as long as they are honest and upfront about it. 

I have also suggested that it is also okay for people to ask others to rate and/or review an album as long as they don't try and influence those people into giving higher ratings or more favourable reviews than they believe the album warrants. I would also add that the prospective rater and/or reviewer should feel under no obligation to comply with anyone's wishes.

That aside, Conor (only one "n" in his name) is a good kid and a damn good writer, his presence here is missed, he poked the hornets nest here and ran away before he got stung but that is by-the-by and not something to discuss here.

Dean, as you know I cannot see what was said about me, although am shocked to find out of what was said behind my back, this was crushing. By no means I meant you had anything to do with the lies and you surely are aware how much I like you among all members here? I thought you were suspicious of my intentions because of some comments you made concerning the band and now clearly I feel really bad, like the most stupid ignorant idiot too, feel really bad again for being wrong. I always seem to get things so wrong, I speak my mind always from my heart and in my post I named you too to discuss this but your reply makes me feel really bad now, obviously deservingly so! I did not mean it to come out that way. I swear. xxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 23:25

Everyone and their dog's understudy hairdresser's personal trainer on PA got asked to review the second Corvus Stone album. This type of carpet bombing spamming for reviews just chafes everyone's teats and would ordinarily be potentially counter productive to positive appraisals of this music from any discerning and objective reviewer. (I opened a separate thread devoted to the acceptability or otherwise of such marketing practices recently) The album's current score of 4.09 however, clearly contradicts this rationale and seems contrarily inflated by less than assiduous reviews. Yes, that IS judgmental isn't it?. I received a PM asking me to review the album which I flatly declined. I then bought the album based on a You Tube video for Boots for Hire which I enjoyed hugely. I've not submitted a written review yet but would hazard three sparklies from this habitually grudging rodent i.e. good but clearly NOT essential (CS II is a devoted and sincere fans' record, NOT an original artist's one) None of the foregoing spamming can be attributed to Sonia so where the accusations of reviewer manipulation stem from is at best obscure at at worst delusional. As Dean says, no-one on PA has any problem with band members, their friends and family submitting reviews as long as they don't pretend to be disinterested third parties.
ExittheLemming, thank you Hug
However lol you cheeky sod Smile
To be honest, I think it's a positive for any band to ask people that they do not know for a review Wink
This gives the band unbiased reviews, I see no negative in this Big smile Certainly in P.A. content a good thing.
As you stated "Everyone and their dog's understudy hairdresser's personal trainer on PA got asked to review" it went beyond that by asking reviewers if they too would like to review their album. This is not a bad thing I believe and I think you'll agree with me too here. Big hug to you,  ExittheLemming.
Again thank you, so much! xxxx

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 23:29

Everyone and their dog's understudy hairdresser's personal trainer on PA got asked to review the second Corvus Stone album.

Liar! i wasn't asked!

Tongue

Shocked

LOL

Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

I don't really see an issue with that, since in the long run other folks will add their own to it! I mean, I was thinking that after your response I would not want to listen or bother with that album at all, and I am pretty sure that the majority of folks on PA are much more discerning and caring about the music and the art form than that!

hahahaha! moshkito! That's so funny! LOL
Without asking the band, I can send you a cd and meanwhile a download too if you want to review it? Smile
I'd be glad to send you their album and thrilled to get a review from you? Really!
Hug hugs,
Sonia
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 23:34
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Continue being an optimist, Sonia. There are quite enough cynics, fanatics and out-and-out nuts on this forum. You needn't feel foolish or change your attitude here. And I do hope you decide to continue posting on PA. Like the endless whining over statistics, we need your optimism to counterbalance the cynicism; otherwise, it will be a darker place. Wink
The Dark Elf, thank you so SO much for your beautiful encouraging comment. This song is for you. I think Gilmour never sang as high as this ever. Such beautiful emotional song and this I must dedicate to you, thank you very much xxxx  Hug
Dark Globe by Syd Barrett - cover by David Gilmour
My head kissed the ground
 I was half the way down treading the sand
 Please, please lift a hand
 I'm only a person whose armbands beat on his hands
 Hang tall, won't you miss me?
 Wouldn't you miss me at all?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GCM6EV9vtA&feature=youtu.be&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPrHo40qr1-pvZEZcejDeOw
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 00:59
ExittheLemming Hug
This song is for you Smile
Pink Floyd-The Gunner's Dream (Lyrics)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 01:07
This beautiful sad song is so special and dedicated to Dean Hug
Pink Floyd Final Cut (11) - The Final Cut
that guitar tune at 3.19min kills me awwwww CryHeart

Edited by Kati - March 25 2015 at 01:10
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 03:20

Dean, as you know I cannot see what was said about me, although am shocked to find out of what was said behind my back, this was crushing. By no means I meant you had anything to do with the lies and you surely are aware how much I like you among all members here? I thought you were suspicious of my intentions because of some comments you made concerning the band and now clearly I feel really bad, like the most stupid ignorant idiot too, feel really bad again for being wrong. I always seem to get things so wrong, I speak my mind always from my heart and in my post I named you too to discuss this but your reply makes me feel really bad now, obviously deservingly so! I did not mean it to come out that way. I swear. xxx
Well, that's a little clearer. Don't feel bad about it, it's a misunderstanding that's all.

Frankly I cannot muster the ergs to try and track down what, if anything, was said in the collab zone - most discussions of this nature are usually done in the Report Abuse section of the Public forum - but even if I did I wouldn't be able to comment on it here.  Remember the first three rules of Fight Club? Well, the CZ operates in a similar policy: what happens in the CZ stays in the CZ. And there a many good reasons for this, least of all being it allows us collabs to biatch and squabble without making a public spectacle of ourselves, but it also allows us to discuss sensitive issues openly and freely without fear of causing upset or kicking off a public scene. If I were still an Admin I would be far more interested in who broke the first rule of fight club and why than anything we've discussed here. However, I'm not an Admin and I seldom visit the CZ these days so I couldn't care less. I "fell-out" with someone I thought was a good friend over a similar indiscretion and I'm not prepared to go through all that BS again.

I must point out however that anything that is discussed in the Collaborators private area of the forum is not "behind your back", it is "in camera" - you are not privy to what was said but that does not mean that the matter was being dealt with unfairly. That no disciplinary warning was issued as a result (I presume) suggests it was either a storm in a tea cup, summarily dismissed as unsubstantiated or not considered to be an issue.

I should also point out from a topological perspective "behind your back" is actually in front of you (think about it Wink).

I'm not much of a touchy-feely person but ...  Hug
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 03:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Well, that's a little clearer. Don't feel bad about it, it's a misunderstanding that's all.

Frankly I cannot muster the ergs to try and track down what, if anything, was said in the collab zone - most discussions of this nature are usually done in the Report Abuse section of the Public forum - but even if I did I wouldn't be able to comment on it here.  Remember the first three rules of Fight Club? Well, the CZ operates in a similar policy: what happens in the CZ stays in the CZ. And there a many good reasons for this, least of all being it allows us collabs to biatch and squabble without making a public spectacle of ourselves, but it also allows us to discuss sensitive issues openly and freely without fear of causing upset or kicking off a public scene. If I were still an Admin I would be far more interested in who broke the first rule of fight club and why than anything we've discussed here. However, I'm not an Admin and I seldom visit the CZ these days so I couldn't care less. I "fell-out" with someone I thought was a good friend over a similar indiscretion and I'm not prepared to go through all that BS again.

I must point out however that anything that is discussed in the Collaborators private area of the forum is not "behind your back", it is "in camera" - you are not privy to what was said but that does not mean that the matter was being dealt with unfairly. That no disciplinary warning was issued as a result (I presume) suggests it was either a storm in a tea cup, summarily dismissed as unsubstantiated or not considered to be an issue.

I should also point out from a topological perspective "behind your back" is actually in front of you (think about it Wink).

I'm not much of a touchy-feely person but ...  Hug
hahaha awww Dean, your last comment doesn't fool me, you are my favorite smoochie..LOL cute sweet grumpy Hug you are really sweet (grumpy funny) yes but more sweet really nice)  Approve I am so happy you replied.
P.S.
I figured out was more or less said about me, due to forum comments, that was obvious and I cornered a few close friends too,  who had no choice in consideration towards me told me more or less what had happened as I refused being left in the dark especially when it concerns me, things I don't understand why. I still do not understand what happened and what was said. no one broke PA  rules. It's all very odd and confusing. To be clear here, I never ever asked for 5 star reviews ever. Album 2 I did not ask anyone for a review. Album one only asked Lucas and Angelo here on PA and asked VanderGraafGenerator aka Juris on fb. I would never do that, ask for higher rating, I'd be to ashamed to do that. Only other person I've discussed the ratings was Horizons on the first album but that was after he reviewed the album and he was so nice too to me. xxxx I have discussed lightly as general comment ratings with Aussi-bird-brother too in private but only because he is my friend, again all this on the first album release, this one new second Album I did not want to put anyone on the spot.
Another big hug to you, Dean
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 04:18

ExittheLemming Hug
This song is for you Smile
Pink Floyd-The Gunner's Dream (Lyrics)

Thank you Sonia. I've never had a song dedicated to me Thumbs Up
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 05:01
Smile I deleted my comment here because it was redundant, really.

Edited by Kati - March 25 2015 at 05:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>