Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Fool Me
    Posted: October 12 2005 at 03:54

Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

The song is total crap, i have nothing against good pop songs, but that song is not good. your taste must stink if you think its good, have you ever heard the Beatles?

Oh well it must be fact, my taste must stink then.  Funny, I personally liked my music taste, but now I know I've been listening to crap all these years since you've shown me the light Zargus.

Your taste must superlative, lets hope we can all have taste just like yours. 

Ridicule is the burden of genius.
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 03:11
Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

*cough* You forgetting Time Table?  That one is one of the worst songs Genesis ever did, IMO.  Of course, it's a Tony Banks tune -- Banks was borderline incompetent as a writer.

Are you joking?
Time Table is very nice...
The one I always find hard to digest on that record is Get 'em Out By Friday...I must take it a little bit at a time!
A flower?

eduardossc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 10:03

"More fool me" is a pleasant short pop song. What is the problem with tht. I´d rather listen to this a hundred times before playing "On the run " from the same year. I´d rather listen to this than most of the 80 minutes in "Tales" . Or those 10 minutes of filler in "Lark´s part one".

You see?, the problem is not that "Selling" has a poppy song. The problem is that people want this album to not beat dramatically the rest of the albums from that year.

yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 08:25

"Try Foxtrot, it's perfect, not a weak song."

*cough* You forgetting Time Table?  That one is one of the worst songs Genesis ever did, IMO.  Of course, it's a Tony Banks tune -- Banks was borderline incompetent as a writer.

dima_olkov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 02:16

A nice small song but somehow it does not fit into the list of other great songs from the album (I also think that "I know what I like" is VERY VERY overrated - it's far from being a masterpiece)

PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 01:38

Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

^Nursery Cryme is perfect too. Listening to it now. Both For Absent Friends and Harlequin fit so perfectly... People tend to compare them to MFM, but there is a difference: they are transitions, adding atmosphere to the album and making it more whole, they're not pop ballads, and they're a minute long each. totally different category IMO. I Know What I Like and MFM sound like painful distractions(to me)

I always had a problem chosing betwen Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, always saw this two albums as two sides of the same coin, both very dark and atmospheric, with Hackett working perfectly with Banks, Gabriel at his natural vocal range peak, my two favorites.

Nursery Cryme has my all time favorite track (Musical Box) and two top 10 (Fountain of Salmacis and The Return of the Giant Hogweed), Foxtrot on the other hand my second favorite (Can-Utility and the Coastliners), the only real Genesis epic, but has no weak racks, For Absent Friends is not as bad as More Fool Me, but it doesn't fit perfectly in such  a great album.

Still can't decide which one I like more.

Iván

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 01:24
^Nursery Cryme is perfect too. Listening to it now. Both For Absent Friends and Harlequin fit so perfectly... People tend to compare them to MFM, but there is a difference: they are transitions, adding atmosphere to the album and making it more whole, they're not pop ballads, and they're a minute long each. totally different category IMO. I Know What I Like and MFM sound like painful distractions(to me)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 01:15

No way I would give SEBTP 5 stars, mostly because of the infamous More Fool Me and the mediocre I Know What I Like.

Try Foxtrot, it's perfect, not a weak song.

Iván

Yams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 01:05
It's still a five star album.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 01:01
I hate it. It's not as bad as Collins era crap, but it, along with I Know What I like, drags the album down to four stars. As Iván mentioned above, cheesy, crappy ballad
yargh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 00:47
It's a terrible song on an otherwise magnificent album, IMO.  
Yams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 23:19
Haha. It's a decent track, but I would have rather heard maybe another instrumental track. I prefer the  live Genesis Archives version more. 
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 22:56
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Hoily God, I reead shorter threads about great albums, but we lost 3 pages on this crappy, cheesy ballad.

Iván

Revive those threads, quickly Ivan ... or we'll make it to a fourth page ...

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 22:36

Hoily God, I reead shorter threads about great albums, but we lost 3 pages on this crappy, cheesy ballad.

Iván

Prosciutto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 20:12
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Doktor Dyper Doktor Dyper wrote:

I think that there is another underlying reason why people hate More Fool Me.

It was the 1st major song with Phil on lead vocals & the hatred of what Collins ended up doing in the 80s is more or less unanimous in the Prog world....... so a song like More Fool Me which anyway isnt an epic like other songs on SEBTP gets a lot of crap from Prog fans which it probably wouldnt have got had it just got the label of 'Gabriel' on it rather than 'Collins' 

Personally, I think its a decent song......... just good enough to be decent filler.

But why people hate 'I Know What I Like' other than the fact that it was a hit is just something i cant get!

Absolutely agree Dyper!

I agree too! "More Fool me" is not the best track from SEBTP but is very enjoyable (actually my least favourite track from the album is "After the Ordeal"), and it's FAR, SO FAR from being crap. I have the funny idea of had "More Fool me" been sung by either Peter Gabriel or Jon Anderson, would those Collins-haters love it?  maybe........

Don't be a prog-hole, please...
Olympus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 03:27

well, this is just like me in that I like songs that no one else is know would even listen to let alone like

"Let's get the hell away from this Eerie-ass piece of work so we can get on with the rest of our eerie-ass day"
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 13:42

Its good, simple yet identifiable lyrics puts a smile on my face

Fearless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 13:29
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Originally posted by Fearless Fearless wrote:

Quote:

Agreed. It is completely out of place. You have songs that are written extremely well with lyrics that are very extensive and than you have "More Fool Me." Okay he talks about trouble in a relationship and than says theyll make it alright, than why are you writing a song about it? If you are telling yourself its all gonna be alright its okay than just tell it to yourself, don't write a song about it on such a well written album. It does lower my score of "Selling England" just a bit.

/Quote

^This is the kind of statement that I would expect from Vh 1 or Rolling Stone.  It's okay to not like the song (of course it's personal opinion).  But it's important to understand that SEbtP is a concept album (somewhat) about the downfall of England.  The song is definately not "pointless", it is about deception.  And Collins isn't telling himself that it will be alright, he is telling his lover that it will be alright, even after she left him he still loves her.  However there are several meanings one can get from this song, but this is the easiest to explain. 

It just bothers me when people ignorantly say that More Fool Me is pointless.  Even if you don't think that it fits in, it still has a point, just listen to it in the context of the album.

What reviews have you read, or statements from the rolling stone or VH1 that would criticize short, radio friendly songs, with a repeating chorus that would fit well with any pop station? Does Rolling Stone and VH1 praise well written lyrics (rest of album) and think that lyrics about love that every person can relate to are pointless?

I have never thought of it in context to the album because it is, in fact, almost hard to believe that it relates. I understand (sort of) the point your getting at but even if you relate More Fool Me with the album (and that is a far, far stretch) how are you relating it with the downfall of England? Do you mean that people are losing some morality in england at the time and divorce and breakups are more readily available? I'm kind of losing you here, but if you are right and it does indeed relate the the concept, I will not say it is out of place anymore and I will stand corrected.

I understand if you have a deep connection with the song and the theme (that I may be missing) but I still don't understand where the rolling stone comes in from the comment that I wrote.

The Vh1 comment comes from the way that you ignorantly made fun of the lyrics without understanding them or knowing what they mean.  And btw, the bash short radio songs all the time, have you ever seen the "Awesomely bad" countdowns?  I think I've seen more Phil Collins songs on there than any other artist.

As for the concept of SEbtP, and how MFM relates:  instead of trying to explain that (I already attempted to), just read the collaborators reviews, particularly Sean Trane's review.

Btw, I appreciate your humble attitude toward my opinion.

If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 09:47

One bad apple does not an unfluid and inconsistent album make....

I simply skip this track and enjoy the majesty of the rest.

Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 08:38
This kind of proves how unfluid and inconsistent this album is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>