Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas in the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Does Kansas's Leftoverture album belong in the top 100?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [18.46%]
27 [41.54%]
3 [4.62%]
7 [10.77%]
16 [24.62%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I'm one of those people who don't consider Kansas to be prog at all.

You mean, "wrong?"  Wink

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

When I joined PA 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' were both in the Top 100 and 'Song for America' was bubbling a bit under.

Sure, I'd like to see those three as well as 'Masque' and 'Somewhere to Elsewhere', and even the reconstructed first Proto-Kaw in the Top 100.  But ultimately that's up to the 50,000+ global membership to decide with their reviews and ratings, and aside from Zappa and Miles Davis most American artists tend to be somewhat discounted by large portions of our membership.

Never tried the Proto-Kaw stuff, you would recommend it?

Definitely.

The back story for 'Early Recordings' alone should be enough to interest most prog fans.  These are mostly Livgren-penned songs written as far back as 1970 and originally recorded by an early Kansas lineup that predates any of current or former members besides Kerry.  There are a couple songs that were re-recorded by the more famous Kansas lineup.  'Before Came After' features completed or at least reworked bits and pieces of stuff from the early days, while 'The Wait of Glory' is comprised of new material and showcases a group of very mature musicians with a tight sound along the lines of Salem Hill, Crack the Sky, IQ.  I wasn't as impressed with 'Forth' but there were some issues with keeping the group together by that point given they all had day jobs and none of them were inclined to try and make a full-time go of it.

I, too, remember when Point of Know Return was on the list.

Incidentally, they have a documentary coming out this spring with all the original members featured on it, as well as commentary from other artists like Garth Brooks and Brian May.  The trailer looked cool.

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:35

Same here. Also, I don't see how it's lower than albums like Trespass in the Symphonic Prog section but higher in the overall. Is it a slightly different rating system to include all the genres? Confused
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:45
Kansas strikes me as the kind of intricate-minded rock band that could both win over enough AORiented fans to land an album in the top 100 prog, but also to get tagged as "not prog" by enough members to end up with a lot of members voting that album as not belonging in the top 100.  Even many of their proggiest albums were a combo of prog and other less complex rock forms.

I do recommend the Proto-Kaw albums btw.
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:46
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Same here. Also, I don't see how it's lower than albums like Trespass in the Symphonic Prog section but higher in the overall. Is it a slightly different rating system to include all the genres? Confused

It has to do with the number of albums involved.  Obviously, there are more albums in the entire database than there are in one sub-genre.  The number of entries affects the "query weighted rating" (different from the regular rating) of the album, which then affects its place on the chart.  Chart rankings are calculated by a weighted average.

That's why it's easier for a Progressive Electronic album to break the top 20 of that sub-genre than it is for a Symphonic album to do so, but both of these albums would have to compete against ALL the albums on the site for the homepage list.

Leftoverture has a QWR of 4.1816 when looking at all albums, while Trespass has 4.1535 (one place below Ashes Are Burning even).  However, when focusing only on symphonic albums, Trespass has a 4.1262 while Leftoverture has 4.1198 (just one place above Ashes Are Burning).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 08:08
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Kansas are easily one of the best prog rock bands ever !!! very few prog bands come close (listen to Magnum Opus, Cheyenne Anthem, Miracles out of Nowhere ...  etc ) ... top 100 is a complete insult and shows us how musically illiterate most people on prog archives really are.  One of the main reasons I don't visit this site that often is members tend to hold  crap up as God  and God up as crap , it gets a bit much in the end ... Ermm    Here is proof of my theory Voyage Of The Acolyte  98 ? anybody who knows anything about prog knows this Steve Hackett album is probably better than anything Genesis ever released or up there with their best ??? 98 ? its some kind of joke I`m telling you !  The top hundred list is  Kmart prog  .. the type of prog you find in Kmart its really not indicative of the true nature of things and how real prog heads feel ....  Kansas were 80% full progressive rock in the 70's Kansas also got voted Best AOR song of all time with Carry on wayward son .. which makes Kansas  head and shoulders above most bands on this site. The diversity of Kansas and their spirit is really what prog is all about , they simply  refused to conform with the Kmart fads , Don Kirshner loved that about them  ... All Hail - Livgren , Walsh , Steinhardt , Ehart , Williams , Hope or be trapped in your small world of Kmart prog forever !

and my last snide  remark .. Kansas eats Camel for dinner how Camel is above Kansas is staggering !  theres not a single strength Camel has on Kansas in any area ... its just really weird , Something against American prog is all I can put it down to, which is really silly.   Confused

Oh look, the lesser spotted self righteous obnoxious tit, you don't see those very often anymore.

Clap  this forum really does have FAR too many Genesis fans, definitely too many Camel fans, not enough trolls, and DEFINITELY not enough tits.

that said.. he is right...Wink  Many here do have sh*t for tastes. That Hackett album wipes the floor with anything Genesis did, and doesn't that list have every single Genesis album before you hit one ELP album.

Makes one sad to be associated with this forum.  I remember mentioning this site at Nearfest once.. and being laughed at. LOLLOL  and that was BEFORE Camel beat ELP twice in popularity polls here AngryAngryLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 08:25
Indeed the Top 100 merges the favourites of so many different people that it can't be representative of the favourite albums of anybody in particular. It's only normal that it includes many albums which I do not like and omits many of my favourites.
Personally Leftoverture and Two For The Show (if live albums counted) are certainly in my Top 100.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 08:38
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Indeed the Top 100 merges the favourites of so many different people that it can't be representative of the favourite albums of anybody in particular. It's only normal that it includes many albums which I do not like and omits many of my favourites.
Personally Leftoverture and Two For The Show (if live albums counted) are certainly in my Top 100.

the top 100 list really is sort of pointless. It definitely is a reflection more of popularity more than anything else. The more interesting lists are the ones that try to interject some objectivity into them.  It really serves more as conversation piece than anything else.  Entertainment more than education.  Any list that has a album released within the last year in the top 40 albums... really isn't worth much of anything OTHER than pure entertainment for the occasional person like the forum tit earlier than got worked up about it. Or even more mature questioning like Bob had here.  Anyone has half a brain (raising stick) and knows anything (starts downswing) about prog rock knows (makes contact with dead horse) that ELP created some of the most important, and enduring albums in prog rock.  You'd never know it based on the list.  Of course Kansas doesn't come close to that example, but they do share the common ground that those that love them.. LOVE THEM.. and those that dislike them.. LOATHE them.  Sort of hard an impression on a popularity list with that kind of polar divide.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
crrolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 09:00
Personally, I'm 1,400 albums deep into prog, and I'd like to think Leftoverture is in the Top 100 on my list, and would be the only Kansas album on my Top 100.  That being said, I believe the PA rating system determines if its in or not.  When I scored each song individually, Leftoverture was highest.  Point of Know Return, unfortunately received too much commercial time and hasn't held the test of time.  The best thing about prog is that everyone's interests are different, therefore any two of us would not have the same Top 100.  Also, our tastes change over time, especially those following all of the new prog releases.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 11:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the top 100 list really is sort of pointless. It definitely is a reflection more of popularity more than anything else. The more interesting lists are the ones that try to interject some objectivity into them.  It really serves more as conversation piece than anything else.  Entertainment more than education.  Any list that has a album released within the last year in the top 40 albums... really isn't worth much of anything OTHER than pure entertainment for the occasional person like the forum tit earlier than got worked up about it. Or even more mature questioning like Bob had here.  Anyone has half a brain (raising stick) and knows anything (starts downswing) about prog rock knows (makes contact with dead horse) that ELP created some of the most important, and enduring albums in prog rock.  You'd never know it based on the list.  Of course Kansas doesn't come close to that example, but they do share the common ground that those that love them.. LOVE THEM.. and those that dislike them.. LOATHE them.  Sort of hard an impression on a popularity list with that kind of polar divide.
Yeah, it has to be taken for what it is, nothing more than that. And what it definitely IS NOT is a list of 'the 100 most important albums in Prog's history', or 'the essential Top 100 albums in Prog', or anything of the sort.

Fully agree about ELP, in any list of the sort I just mentioned they would have several albums in very high position.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 11:17
For God's sake, they were making Prog along with the pioneers of the genre, they added that distinctive country touch that makes the Symphonic and Hard Rock blend richer. 

People don't have a problem with Supertramp (Who have some very proggy stuff), but always are harsh on a 100% Prog band as Kansas

Whoever thinks this is not Prog

Should see an ear doctor

Kansas is in my top 5 Prog bands

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 08 2015 at 11:20

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 11:38
After going through the top 100 albums listed here there are a handful of albums/bands that I would rate lower than Kansas' Left Overture but that always comes down to personal preference and subjectivity.
As far as Kansas albums , the track itself 'Song For America' is my personal favorite,  though all the early albums  are solid and about equal in overall quality of music for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 11:38
Kansas is cursed with several stigmas: 1) the anti-American bias that permeates this forum (yes, it's there, so don't even argue about it), 2) they actually sold albums (King Crimson never sold albums, therefore they must be great prog), 3) they were liked by non-prog listeners (a reason why Pink Floyd can't possibly be prog), and 4) they were unfortunately lumped in with the corporate rock quagmire of the late 70s (StyxBostonForeignerREOSpeedwagonJourney, et al) that eventually destroyed rock as we knew it.

But they are prog, stigmatically-speaking.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 08 2015 at 16:24
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:15

When I joined PA 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' were both in the Top 100 and 'Song for America' was bubbling a bit under.

Sure, I'd like to see those three as well as 'Masque' and 'Somewhere to Elsewhere', and even the reconstructed first Proto-Kaw in the Top 100.  But ultimately that's up to the 50,000+ global membership to decide with their reviews and ratings, and aside from Zappa and Miles Davis most American artists tend to be somewhat discounted by large portions of our membership.

Do you remember how long Leftoverture and Point of Know Return stayed in the top 100?  Either one or both may have been in when I joined (in late 2008) and I just don't remember.

You may be right that American bands are somewhat 'discounted' by a good portion of the membership here--I'm not sure.

Z
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Kansas is cursed with several stigmas:

1) the anti-American bias that permeates this forum (yes, it's there, so don't even argue about it,

2) they actually sold albums (King Crimson never sold albums, therefore they must be great prog),

3) they were liked by non-prog listeners (a reason why Pink Floyd can't possibly be prog), and they were unfortunately lumped in with the corporate rock quagmire of the late 70s (StyxBostonForeignerREOSpeedwagonJourney, et al) that eventually destroyed rock as we knew it.

But they are prog, stigmatically-speaking.

oh hell yeah. Well said.

Agree with you 100% on all those points.

Again I think they suffer PA's ELPitis...  some write them off completely; either because of being American, commercially successful and tossed in with the AOR/Stadium rock groups.. and even some who don't summarily write them off.. simply don't care much for what they actually were doing to rate them highly. IMO they are good group.. but far from a great one.

Like ELP they'll struggle to get a album or two in the top 100. Even ELP only has one and they did far more important and adventurous stuff. It doesn't take much to turn people off it seems... you even have people hating on Yes because of.. Jon Anderson.. hello.. WHO listens to Yes for Anderson. You do for Squire, Howe, and whichever all-world caliber keyboardist they have in teh band at that moment.

For me.. oh yeah prog..  but like Richard noted earlier.. I never saw any of their albums worthy of anything more than 3 or 4 stars. Good group... not a great one.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:56

you even have people hating on Yes because of.. Jon Anderson.. hello.. WHO listens to Yes for Anderson. You do for Squire, Howe, and whichever all-world caliber keyboardist they have in teh band at that moment.

Hey I listen YES for Howe, Squire and Howe, but Anderson ruins the experience.

Nevertheless I seen them, several times on stage and will go every time I have a chance.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

you even have people hating on Yes because of.. Jon Anderson.. hello.. WHO listens to Yes for Anderson. You do for Squire, Howe, and whichever all-world caliber keyboardist they have in teh band at that moment.

Hey I listen YES for Howe, Squire and Howe, but Anderson ruins the experience.

Nevertheless I seen them, several times on stage and will go every time I have a chance.

yeah... I can dig that.  If a vocalist turns you wrong.. then the music itself often can't save the listening experience.

see Camel..  LOL

speaking of...  there was a poll I saw the other day that had a Captain Beefheart song in it.  I didn't know that song...  I'm only vaguely familiar with him through Zappa .. and I listened to it.. well did for about a minute before I shut off the damn clip. Urgggg.. art is great man... but I'm into pleasure.. not pain.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:40
I feel that Leftoverture should be higher and have Point of Know Return towards the bottom. Both amazing albums.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 04:52
I join the ranks of those who should get out of the room according to Adolf Hitler and vote for option #2. Leftoverture fits quite well in the top 100 and one more album (Point of Know Return) somewhere below would also be fine. Kansas was one of the few US-based prog bands from the classic era.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 09:59
The fact is, any rank couldn't be 100% fair. The same counts for this top 100 prog bands rank. Everyone has it's own tastes and this is average result from these many votes (we could argue about mathematical method of counting these ranks but that's all we can...).

IMO Kansas is fine (although I've always counted them more to proto-prog), but for me it isn't top 100 record band... For example Queen is mainly rock group (in 70's to be precise) and it isn't strange they are not too popular here on progboard. On the other side I'll always count their Queen II album (with definitely prog roots) higher than any other Kansas record. And this one isn't even in 250 rank albums. So what? The world turns around and I'll listen to this one despite of any poll. Because all these polls and ranks are subjective and couldn't be too overestimated.

On the other side - there are a lot of records in the rank 100 I'm definitely satisfied with. For some new prog listener it could be very good "manual" to step inside the progressive rock waters. And maybe this could be very good reason to have this rank here and let it live with it's own life... :-)

Oh well - I voted #5 here.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 13:28
Ratings are based more on consistency than inspiration and originality imo. BSS is poison to some because it has a love ballad and some awfull Chas n Dave knock off, so it gets '4 stars' despite the other 36 minutes of sheer brilliance.
That said I don't have any great issue with the top ten albums on the list. Its just the when you get past that it starts to get less meaningful to me. Answer - just publish a top ten on the front of the site. Shimples.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>