Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBritish Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer? (Beatles omitted)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
6 [26.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [34.78%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:28
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

You did not understand me. I'm not saying that Armageddon not generally belong to 70s hard rock as same as e.g. Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or BOC and that the internet sites who say so are wrong; they aren't wrong, especially not wrong in the time of multiplied tags. I just want to point out that 1) the style of that single album by Armageddon is not of a kind of hard rock which was generally played in 1975 and that the sound of the album is nicely suited to what the records dealers at that time named "proto-prog" to firm that dinstictive sound of late 60s / early 70s at their selling lists ( they did not created a new genre nor they wanted to do anything like that)  2) I mentioned Armageddon's album as an evidence that the "proto-prog" sound was still exist until mid 70s even in UK.

See, that's the difference between us. I understood what you were saying. I just don't accept it. Neither do I accept the tag "proto-prog" that a few record resellers decided to scribble with black magic marker on their flea market bins. That was not a defining moment or the end-all, be-all for the definition of proto-prog.

(...)
Of course that those ancient records dealers' lists aren't (un)Holly Bible, but PA definition of Proto Prog with The Who on that "proto" list also is not (un)Holly Bible nor the writer of PA Proto-Prog definition is (un)infallible Pope, lol.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:31

Of course that those ancient records dealers' lists aren't (un)Holly Bible, but PA definition of Proto Prog with The Who on that "proto" list also is not (un)Holly Bible nor the writer of PA Proto-Prog definition is (un)infallible Pope, lol.
Simply put: if we didn't have Proto Prog section with that definition then The Who would not be listed in this site at all.

And since Iván's definition has been copied and reprinted on several other sites, his canonisation is imminent.

erm... lol.

Edited by Dean - March 25 2015 at 12:33
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:49

You did not understand me. I'm not saying that Armageddon not generally belong to 70s hard rock as same as e.g. Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or BOC and that the internet sites who say so are wrong; they aren't wrong, especially not wrong in the time of multiplied tags. I just want to point out that 1) the style of that single album by Armageddon is not of a kind of hard rock which was generally played in 1975 and that the sound of the album is nicely suited to what the records dealers at that time named proto-prog" to firm that dinstictive sound of late 60s / early 70s at their selling lists ( they did not created a new genre nor they wanted to do anything like that)  2) I mentioned Armageddon's album as an evidence that the "proto-prog" sound was still exist until mid 70s even in UK.

See, that's the difference between us. I understood what you were saying. I just don't accept it. Neither do I accept the tag "proto-prog" that a few record resellers decided to scribble with black magic marker on their flea market bins. That was not a defining moment or the end-all, be-all for the definition of proto-prog.

(...)

The point I was making, Moses, is that nothing is set in stone. I used the words "redefine" and "reassess" because that is what has been done and what continues to happen as part of the historical record.

Nothing is infallible, as you inferred, yet you still hold on to some archaic (and really silly) definition like Yahweh himself slapped you upside the head with the commandment:

THOU SHALT NOT PUT OTHER DEFINTIONS OF PROTO-PROG BEFORE THEE!

But as a reasonable music listener and as a musician, I find the PA definition of "proto-prog" far more reasonable than the short-sighted and fundamentally inaccurate definition by some 70s flea-market resellers. As a person degreed in English and history, linguistically the prefix "proto" is supported far more reasonably and in historical context by PA than your flea-market resellers.

As a reasonable person, I cannot hold to a definition that is no longer valid or does not make sense to me, particularly when a far more reasonable and sensible definition is available.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:56
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

That style was called Freakbeat, a genre what I mentioned earlier in this thread.
By the way, Rick Davies is great as always....

And slightly off the topic - Kati, do you think that The Steve Miller Band would be in Prog Archives' Proto Prog section - as per PA' definition of *proto-prog*, of course -  due to their first two albums from 1968?

Edited by Svetonio - March 25 2015 at 12:57
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:59
...hmm, this will be interesting...

What?
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 14:59
THE WHO
Progrockdude
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 15:32

found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

That style was called Freakbeat, a genre what I mentioned earlier in this thread.

And slightly off the topic - Kati, do you think that The Steve Miller Band would be in Prog Archives' Proto Prog section - as per PA' definition of *proto-prog*, of course -  due to their first two albums from 1968?
Svetonio, you have to follow the protocols and post Steve Miller in the Psych Lounge first. After approximately 50 years it will be considered for inclusion in the proto-prog category.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 17:40
Gotta love Sweetonio for stirring up things in PA. Always in opposition, never on the winning team.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 19:03
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Svetonio, you have to follow the protocols and post Steve Miller in the Psych Lounge first. After approximately 50 years it will be considered for inclusion in the proto-prog category.
LOL Thumbs Up
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:06

Aww my sweet Sventonio, this time I think I am the last person here to answer your question. I am clueless here still as to proto actually stands for Confused
I however I do think Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) certainly has prog elements i.e. sitar and B3 organ, plus the moozik has a groovy sexy vibe Clap Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM hugs Hug

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:12

SteveG,
Now you just confused me more hahahaha ... LOL I was told by Dean that proto was before prog, the music term was invented (this finally started to make sense to me) thus prior to prog, bands can be proto thereafter none can be considered that Big smile hugs xxxxHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:21

You did not understand me. I'm not saying that Armageddon not generally belong to 70s hard rock as same as e.g. Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath or BOC and that the internet sites who say so are wrong; they aren't wrong, especially not wrong in the time of multiplied tags. I just want to point out that 1) the style of that single album by Armageddon is not of a kind of hard rock which was generally played in 1975 and that the sound of the album is nicely suited to what the records dealers at that time named proto-prog" to firm that dinstictive sound of late 60s / early 70s at their selling lists ( they did not created a new genre nor they wanted to do anything like that)  2) I mentioned Armageddon's album as an evidence that the "proto-prog" sound was still exist until mid 70s even in UK.

(...)

The point I was making, Moses, is that nothing is set in stone. I used the words "redefine" and "reassess" because that is what has been done and what continues to happen as part of the historical record.

Nothing is infallible, as you inferred, yet you still hold on to some archaic (and really silly) definition like Yahweh himself slapped you upside the head with the commandment:

THOU SHALT NOT PUT OTHER DEFINTIONS OF PROTO-PROG BEFORE THEE!

But as a reasonable music listener and as a musician, I find the PA definition of "proto-prog" far more reasonable than the short-sighted and fundamentally inaccurate definition by some 70s flea-market resellers. As a person degreed in English and history, linguistically the prefix "proto" is supported far more reasonably and in historical context by PA than your flea-market resellers.

As a reasonable person, I cannot hold to a definition that is no longer valid or does not make sense to me, particularly when a far more reasonable and sensible definition is available.
The Dark Elf wow wow wow WOW~!!!!!!!!!!! Most tracks you posted on your website front page are my favorites! I promise, I have those tracks, just to prove that they are my favs you can check here my playlist too https://www.youtube.com/user/SoniaKatiMota/playlists too Smile yay whooheeehiiiiiiii you are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love your taste in moozik jajajaja yep ahum yes si sim oui Big smile big hug Hug 

Aww also leave pls Sventonio be as he is so nice Disapprove more Hug to you!!!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:25
Nirvana is an American band, thus how can we classify them as British Proto prog? They are not prog tho' nor punk, they were quite good and they were classified as Grunge I think. Smile 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:45

Nirvana is an American band, thus how can we classify them as British Proto prog? They are not prog tho' nor punk, they were quite good and they were classified as Grunge I think. Smile 
Wrong Nirvana. Wink

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:50

SteveG,
Now you just confused me more hahahaha ... LOL I was told by Dean that proto was before prog, the music term was invented (this finally started to make sense to me) thus prior to prog, bands can be proto thereafter none can be considered that Big smile hugs xxxxHug
Steve is being sarcastic.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:55
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

SteveG,
Steve is being sarcastic.
Naughty Steve Big smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:56
That's one word for him. 
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 02:57

Wrong Nirvana. Wink

hahaha this just proves how much of a ninny I am LOL I never heard of them, ha! Going to listen right now, thank you, Dean   Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:25

Wrong Nirvana. Wink

hoh I like them! This I really like! They in my mind weirdly sound like Paul McCartney on vocals and King Crimson somehow Stern Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:29

hoh I like them! This I really like! They in my mind weirdly sound like Paul McCartney on vocals and King Crimson somehow Stern Smile
good-good-good.

This one is fun - Nirvana cover Nirvana:

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>