Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBritish Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Which of these do you prefer? (Beatles omitted)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
6 [26.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [34.78%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:32
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

hoh I like them! This I really like! They in my mind weirdly sound like Paul McCartney on vocals and King Crimson somehow Stern Smile
good-good-good.

This one is fun - Nirvana cover Nirvana:

Ha! hahaha thank you! Going to listen right now Hug

not bad but that beat auto 80's tune kills me, not as bad as others but argghhh Stern Smile it's club 54 on rollerskates too. Ermm

Edited by Kati - March 26 2015 at 03:35
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:44

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

That style was called Freakbeat, a genre what I mentioned earlier in this thread.
By the way, Rick Davies is great as always....

And slightly off the topic - Kati, do you think that The Steve Miller Band would be in Prog Archives' Proto Prog section - as per PA' definition of *proto-prog*, of course -  due to their first two albums from 1968?
Aww my sweet Sventonio, this time I think I am the last person here to answer your question. I am clueless here still as to proto actually stands for Confused
I however I do think Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) certainly has prog elements i.e. sitar and B3 organ, plus the moozik has a groovy sexy vibe Clap Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM hugs Hug

Oh Kati, please forget just for a moment that awesome Fly Like An Eagle  the crossover prog song and that proggy album and especially this amazing prog song which is my fav from Fly Like An Eagle Hug and pleeease take a time to listening to The Steve Miller Band's Song For Our Ancestors  from Sailor.

You'll enjoy in the song, I'm sure, and also you'll hear how Pink Floyd was ripped off from The Steve Miller Band's album from 1968 ... Well, okay, it was just in favor of making Shine On You Crazy Diamond  more nice, isn't? Big smile

Edited by Svetonio - March 26 2015 at 03:45
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:45
[QUOTE=Dean]
Dean, are Mott the Hoople, proto prog? This song specifically too?
MOTT THE HOOPLE - All The Young Dudes [ HQ remaster audio ]  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:53

found another so-called proto song, certainly not helping me in liking what I still cannot tell what it is, except thinking so far all songs the notes are sharp, lack warmth, lacking bass guitar tunes etc, all very blunt and not nice clear in my opinion Ouchhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKroSJti39I

That style was called Freakbeat, a genre what I mentioned earlier in this thread.

And slightly off the topic - Kati, do you think that The Steve Miller Band would be in Prog Archives' Proto Prog section - as per PA' definition of *proto-prog*, of course -  due to their first two albums from 1968?
Aww my sweet Sventonio, this time I think I am the last person here to answer your question. I am clueless here still as to proto actually stands for Confused
I however I do think Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) certainly has prog elements i.e. sitar and B3 organ, plus the moozik has a groovy sexy vibe Clap Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (1976) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB9lTUyshM hugs Hug

Oh Kati, please forget just for a moment that awesome Fly Like An Eagle  the crossover prog song and that proggy album and especially this amazing prog song which is my fav from Fly Like An Eagle Hug and pleeease take a time to listening to The Steve Miller Band's Song For Our Ancestors  from Sailor.

You'll enjoy in the song, I'm sure, and also you'll hear how Pink Floyd was ripped off from The Steve Miller Band's album from 1968 ... Well, okay, it was just in favor of making Shine On You Crazy Diamond  more nice, isn't? Big smile
this is oh frickin' brilliant! I am so happy right now! Thank you very much, Sventonio!!!! Now why the heck is this not considered prog? Flippin fantastic this is!!!! Hug Going to replay yay again now !!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 03:54
^ It was an amusing distraction nothing more.

This is far more representative of the original Nirvana:

Nirvana (UK) were Baroque Pop - this genre of music was another important precursor to Progressive Rock and gives an indication of where the classical/symphonic elements of Prog had their pop/rock musical origins, unlike Freakbeat (which links beat music to psychedelic pop), Baroque Pop has more direct contact with Prog through bands like Procol Harum and The Moody Blues. Bowie's début album has elements of Baroque Pop.

Edited by Dean - March 26 2015 at 03:55
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:02

^ It was an amusing distraction nothing more.

This is far more representative of the original Nirvana:

Nirvana (UK) were Baroque Pop - this genre of music was another important precursor to Progressive Rock and gives an indication of where the classical/symphonic elements of Prog had their pop/rock musical origins, unlike Freakbeat (which links beat music to psychedelic pop), Baroque Pop has more direct contact with Prog through bands like Procol Harum and The Moody Blues. Bowie's début album has elements of Baroque Pop.
hahahaha today is a great day I love this so much! The vocalist reminds me so much of Paul McCartney really! I love him and love this too! God this is just so flippin' fab!!!! love love love!!!! Instrumentals too! I have no idea how I never came across them, now I want to go search more moozik they made!!!!!! Dean, you are just too fantastic, thank you!!!!!!!!!! Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:07
[QUOTE=Dean]
Dean, this song I must dedicate to you ApproveHug
 this track reminds me of Big Big Train  album far skies deep time Smile

Edited by Kati - March 26 2015 at 04:12
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:09
I had not yet voted above on the poll, voted Nirvana Uk now Thumbs UpApproveHug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:12

No - too late to be "what came before"

Proto Prog is very much "of it's time" - these bands had to be producing music at a time (and location) to be influential in the evolution of Progressive Rock as we know it.

Finding later bands that seem to "fit the bill" is the major problem of trying to define Proto Prog as a style of music (which it isn't), it is a classification not a genre.

Genre  = style of music
Classification = bunch of unrelated styles (psychedelic pop/rock, baroque pop, folk rock, jazz rock, etc.)

It gets even more complicated than that. Two 1968 band can be playing an identical style of music - one is recognised as Proto Prog and the other is not. The reason for that is simply one of influence - the first band may have been better known at the time, or playing on the same tours as some of those emergent Prog bands. It would be very unusual to classify a completely unknown band as Proto Prog.

Edited by Dean - March 26 2015 at 04:21
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:23

No - too late to be "what came before"

Proto Prog is very much "of it's time" - these bands had to be producing music at a time (and location) to be influential in the evolution of Progressive Rock as we know it.

Finding later bands that seem to "fit the bill" is the major problem of trying to define Proto Prog as a style of music (which it isn't), it is a classification not a genre.

Genre  = style of music
Classification = bunch of unrelated styles (psychedelic pop/rock, baroque pop, folk rock, jazz rock, etc.)

It gets even more complicated than that. Two 1968 band can be playing identical style of music - one is 

Ok fair enough, however I love this song a lot Big smile also Bowie wrote that song for them and I adore him (except his 80's albums I must admit bah those are awful)
Mott btw rejected Bowie's first song written for them, called Suffragette CityWink hugs Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:32

Ok fair enough, however I love this song a lot Big smile also Bowie wrote that song for them and I adore him (except his 80's albums I must admit bah those are awful)
Mott btw rejected Bowie's first song written for them, called Suffragette CityWink hugs Hug
Mott were an established band with four albums under their belt when Bowie approached them (he was a "fan" and heard they were thinking of splitting up). Prior to his involvement they were very much a blues Heavy Rock band as their début single from 1969 shows:

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:38

this is oh frickin' brilliant! I am so happy right now! Thank you very much, Sventonio!!!! Now why the heck is this not considered prog? Flippin fantastic this is!!!! Hug Going to replay yay again now !!!
I'm flattered with your positive comment, Kati!! Hug
Of course that The Steve Miller Band first two albums were / are considered prog! For example, well know British rock journalist Nick Logan wrote on those albums in The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock ( Salamander Books, London, 1977) as "the cornerstones of progressive rock" as well. I had Yugoslav version of that great book, in fact the most comprehensive rock-publishing effort in the seventies Smile

Edited by Svetonio - March 26 2015 at 04:39
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 04:40

Mott were an established band with four albums under their belt when Bowie approached them (he was a "fan" and heard they were thinking of splitting up). Prior to his involvement they were very much a blues Heavy Rock band as their début single from 1969 shows:

Yep that was very common at the time blues music, I personally am not of fan. hugs Hug
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 05:03

posting videos tsk tsk LOL
Help me I'm falling!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 05:09

Well, for a start the track is not Progressive Rock - it's blues rock. Other tracks from their early albums were blues rock/acid rock which leads some people to consider them to be "psychedelic rock" (I do not). There is a certain "Englishness" to their first two albums that was inspired/influenced by the blues revival happening in London at that time (Cream, John Mayall, TYA, etc.). The first album was recorded in London, the second in LA and both were produced by English producer Glyn Johns, who also produced an early Prog album - Family Entertainment by Family. That Miller would be influenced by the psychedelic scene in London at that time is hardly surprising - what little Psych that can be detected in those early Miller Band albums is more English than American. For Miller to be considered Proto Prog on this site he has to be an influence into the scene that gave rise to Progressive Rock.

Gilmour and Miller are "mates" and I think that they influenced each other's playing to some extent - both are gifted guitarists with a bluesy feel to their playing. Song for our Ancestors was not "ripped off" by Pink Floyd but it there is a strong possibility that it influenced the opening few minutes of the 26 minute song.

Edited by Dean - March 26 2015 at 06:32
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 06:22
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

posting videos tsk tsk LOL

Guilty as charged. Embarrassed I use videos as illustration by way of example and admit to being heavy-handed this morning but only in the endeavour of "Educating Sonia" Wink

Edited by Dean - March 26 2015 at 06:22
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 06:50

Of course that The Steve Miller Band first two albums were / are considered prog! For example, well know British rock journalist Nick Logan wrote on those albums in The illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock ( Salamander Books, London, 1977) as "the cornerstones of progressive rock" as well. I had Yugoslav version of that great book, in fact the most comprehensive rock-publishing effort in the seventies Smile
I tire of your misquoting from that (inadequate) book. He does NOT call the first two albums "cornerstones of progressive rock" he says (and I quote verbatim from an original 1977 English print) "two albums which are still regarded as milestones."  (note the full-stop/period at the end of that quote).

1. Cornerstone is NOT a synonym of Milestone - two different words, two different meanings.
2. The quote does NOT say they were milestones of progressive rock, it just says they were milestones (period). That could imply lots of things, for example: they were a milestone in rock (unlikely since they were not particularly successful on release) or the were a milestone in Miller's career (more likely).

He does say that Children of the Future was (and I quote verbatim again)  "...regarded as probably the best example of progressive rock from 1968" - and he says that without qualification and without citing who or where that regarding comes from - in other words it is his opinion NOT fact.

Edited by Dean - March 26 2015 at 06:51
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:22

I tire of your misquoting from that (inadequate) book. He does NOT call the first two albums "cornerstones of progressive rock" he says (and I quote verbatim from an original 1977 English print) "two albums which are still regarded as milestones."  (note the full-stop/period at the end of that quote).

1. Cornerstone is NOT a synonym of Milestone - two different words, two different meanings.
2. The quote does NOT say they were milestones of progressive rock, it just says they were milestones (period). That could imply lots of things, for example: they were a milestone in rock (unlikely since they were not particularly successful on release) or the were a milestone in Miller's career (more likely).

He does say that Children of the Future was (and I quote verbatim again)  "...regarded as probably the best example of progressive rock from 1968" - and he says that without qualification and without citing who or where that regarding comes from - in other words it is his opinion NOT fact.

Dean, I have it on very good authority that Nick Logan was told by a record reseller at a Bricklane flea market in 1976 that Steve Miller's Children of the Future was a cutting-edge progressive rock album, but that eventually The Steve Miller Band was to become proto-prog by the mid-70s. He then showed Logan his Proto-prog bins, and sure enough, there was Fly Like an Eagle.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 07:30
LOL
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 10:14

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Svetonio, you have to follow the protocols and post Steve Miller in the Psych Lounge first. After approximately 50 years it will be considered for inclusion in the proto-prog category.

SteveG,
Now you just confused me more hahahaha ... LOL I was told by Dean that proto was before prog, the music term was invented (this finally started to make sense to me) thus prior to prog, bands can be proto thereafter none can be considered that Big smile hugs xxxxHug
Steve is being sarcastic.
No sarcasm intended. In fifty years times, revisionist history will declare Punk Rock as the past's truly progressive rock music, Johnny Rotten will be declared an retroactive genius after dethroning the formally retro activated Gary Glitter and PA will be changed to the politically correct Punk Archives.

We will all be gone except for a lone retired admin who will haunt this site still munching on his popcorn and complaining about spam.
Now, you know that this last paragraph will be true. Wink   

Edited by SteveG - March 26 2015 at 10:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>