Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg's Origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Where do YOU think that prog came from?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [14.52%]
5 [8.06%]
11 [17.74%]
2 [3.23%]
1 [1.61%]
3 [4.84%]
4 [6.45%]
4 [6.45%]
1 [1.61%]
2 [3.23%]
20 [32.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
danyboy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 09:53
New technology
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 08:56
If forced I would pick new technology, but 1 choice simply isn't sufficient to answer the question.  I would reiterate what zwordser posted but also include new technology.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 20:52
I'd say all of the above too, adding classical music and plenty of ambitious virtuoso musicians who knew that the time was right for something new and different.
Z
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 19:44
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

easy answer for me...

the short answer... the Beatles. 

No Beatles.. no prog.

long answer... the drugs man.. or they'd have cranked out years of She loves you yeah yeah yeah. 
Drugs fueled the inner talent and creativity and gave us Rubber Soul and Revolver .. the resulting success empowered and inspired later bands to not just write songs.. but make albums.. where the only limitations were their own talent and creativity. Who was stopping them.. not the labels.  It was pre 'industry' days.

my two cents!

I'm not going to disagree with this! So Timothy Leary deserves some credit, hunh?

of course.. as all do. Of course the Beatles were the prime ingrediant but not the only one. One could say it was a mix of all that stuff man that led to the music.

however though...what good is music without an audience receptive TO the music.  ummm..  or else you'd have groovy music being ignored by square people. It was as much about the audience as it was the musicians. Without audience what good and how lasting would the music have been and that was fueled not by drugs.. those are just fun... it was the social uphevals..  Vietnam .. the student uprisings... the notion that the young COULD change the world and music was part of the deal, as well as the soundtrack to it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 19:31
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

For the sake of simplicity I voted 'Other' instead of clicking on all the options because each and every one contributed.  These are not the only roots, however, and many good suggestions have been mentioned already.  I reject the notion that there is one cause, one beginning moment, one point where Prog or anything else became what it is.  There are always multiple causes, not the least of which are certain conditions that promote such developments.  In the case of Prog, both an openness to experimentation and training in music were aspects with wide-ranging results.  Given the existence of rock, classical, jazz, and an openness to mixing musical styles, something like Prog would almost be an eventuality.  To get away from references to Delta Blues or ancient musics, a clear definition of 'Prog' would be in order, but that is the most difficult thing to define on this site.  Mostly, I think, because people try to limit it to a single concise definition when it is too broad for that in much the same way people insist on a single cause for something.  This is not to say we cannot identify the characteristics of something specific because we most certainly can.  Geek

Great response with which I whole-heartedly agree. My above analogy of prog as a tapestry is not unfounded.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 19:29

easy answer for me...

No Beatles.. no prog.

long answer... the drugs man.. or they'd have cranked out years of She loves you yeah yeah yeah. 
Drugs fueled the inner talent and creativity and gave us Rubber Soul and Revolver .. the resulting success empowered and inspired later bands to not just write songs.. but make albums.. where the only limitations were their own talent and creativity. Who was stopping them.. not the labels.  It was pre 'industry' days.

my two cents!

I'm not going to disagree with this! So Timothy Leary deserves some credit, hunh?

Drew Fisher
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 18:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

For the sake of simplicity I voted 'Other' instead of clicking on all the options because each and every one contributed.  These are not the only roots, however, and many good suggestions have been mentioned already.  I reject the notion that there is one cause, one beginning moment, one point where Prog or anything else became what it is.  There are always multiple causes, not the least of which are certain conditions that promote such developments.  In the case of Prog, both an openness to experimentation and training in music were aspects with wide-ranging results.  Given the existence of rock, classical, jazz, and an openness to mixing musical styles, something like Prog would almost be an eventuality.  To get away from references to Delta Blues or ancient musics, a clear definition of 'Prog' would be in order, but that is the most difficult thing to define on this site.  Mostly, I think, because people try to limit it to a single concise definition when it is too broad for that in much the same way people insist on a single cause for something.  This is not to say we cannot identify the characteristics of something specific because we most certainly can.  Geek
I agree with you Mr. Philosopher of Prog. Placing music in some homogenous box is the bane of all music genres! Geek
Handshake
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:16

easy answer for me...

No Beatles.. no prog.

my two cents!
I'm glad that all my talk on hallucinogenic drugs in the psych lounge has had a positive effect on someone. LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:13
^ Sacrilege! I can hear Frank spinnnig in his grave right now! Shocked

(Unless he was cremated, of course.)

Edited by SteveG - February 27 2015 at 15:26
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Drugs , Counter Culture , New Tech and Zappa!
Shame on you Richard. You can't use Drugs, Counter Culture and Zappa in the same sentence! Wink

Yes, one can: Zappa = Counter-Drugs Culture.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:09

I agree with you Mr. Philosopher of Prog. Placing music in some homogenous box is the bane of all music genres! Geek
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:07

Shame on you Richard. You can't use Drugs, Counter Culture and Zappa in the same sentence! Wink
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:02
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 13:00
easy answer for me...

No Beatles.. no prog.

my two cents!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 12:42
I think Rick Wakemans is the best player of the prog origin.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 12:12
Sgt. Pepper's', col-dangit (and let's not forget Tomorrow Never Knows)!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:43
Other :

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:15
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Where's the 'all of the above' option?
This.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Bach Big smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxnfyBk6QzM

Of course! Awesome vid! A sax quartet!
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:11
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

But where did Zappa get the ideas?

Stravinsky and Varese.

Thanks for that! Good to know! (for my research)
Drew Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>