Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPunk: A Logical Extension of Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 04:32
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I'm still unsure what deserting Prog fans started to listen to instead between then and the end of the decade?
Bob Marley, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and Aerosmith probably. Exodus was as ubiquitous as Dark Side Of The Moon in student digs during the later quarter of the 1970s

I would gauge what was popular among that particular demographic by the various festival line-ups as that tends to be a pretty accurate barometer. Before The Reading Festival became a corporate shindig, it was a fairly good grass-rooted affair initially set up by the people who ran the Marquee and later The Mean Fiddler

1976: Gong, Rory Gallagher, Osibisa ... Pub-rock arrives in the lone form of Eddie & the Hot Rods, Friday night is roots dub reggae night.
1977: Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy, Alex Harvey ... Punk represented solely Gloria Mundi and art-punk by Ultravox!, the rest of the line up is Prog and Southern Rawk, Reggae is conspicuous by its absence.
1978: The Jam, Status Quo, Patti Smith ... Friday night is mainstream punky Power Pop night.
1979: The Police, The Scorpions, Peter Gabriel ... All hail the New Wave.

Edited by Dean - March 08 2015 at 04:35
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 05:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm still unsure what deserting Prog fans started to listen to instead between then and the end of the decade?
Bob Marley, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and Aerosmith probably. Exodus was as ubiquitous as Dark Side Of The Moon in student digs during the later quarter of the 1970s

I would gauge what was popular among that particular demographic by the various festival line-ups as that tends to be a pretty accurate barometer. Before The Reading Festival became a corporate shindig, it was a fairly good grass-rooted affair initially set up by the people who ran the Marquee and later The Mean Fiddler

1976: Gong, Rory Gallagher, Osibisa ... Pub-rock arrives in the lone form of Eddie & the Hot Rods, Friday night is roots dub reggae night.
1977: Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy, Alex Harvey ... Punk represented solely Gloria Mundi and art-punk by Ultravox!, the rest of the line up is Prog and Southern Rawk, Reggae is conspicuous by its absence.
1978: The Jam, Status Quo, Patti Smith ... Friday night is mainstream punky Power Pop night.

Probably right on the money. Festivals, despite being lazily associated with Prog hippy baggage, were probably an astute guide given the eclecticism on offer, the audience were in the main yer discerning rock fan circa '75 to '80
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 05:23
Yep, what a spread
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 05:39
The UK festival most associated with "hippies" would probably be Glastonbury (after the Stonehenge Free Festivals of '74 to '84 of course) yet there were no Glastonbury Festivals from 1972 to 1978 (an unplanned event occurred on Worthy Farm in 1978 which was essentially a relocation of that year's Stonehenge festival). The "hippies" of the 70s were just long-haired youths in denim and a far cry from the hippy movement of the 60s, few (if any) of those became the New Age Travellers and Crusties of the 80s and 90s, some of them became stock brokers and real estate agents, the rest got proper jobs and mortgages.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 12:31

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

For something that's deemed to be so small, Punk's lasting impact on music cannot be underestimated. There would be no New Wave movement without it and no Grudge movement as a response to New Wave. And let's not forget the entire arty Post Punk movement. Prog simply has not have had that impact on Pop music, regardless of how big it was, unless we look in terms of Punk being a reaction to Prog, which would place Prog right back into the negative light that it was cast into in the middle to later seventies.

Have to agree with most of this but as for the reasons, things get a tad blurry hereabouts. As Dean has correctly pointed out already, Punk's musical legacy was rudimentary and meager at best, until such time as we reached circa '79 and the so-called Post Punk artists emerged. I guess that what Punk bequeathed to music were the sorts of values I personally still hold dear e.g. discipline, brevity, economy, focus, structure etc in stark contrast to the spacey improvs and lengthy noodly meanderings that afflict some of the worst Prog. It also probably goes without saying that Punk was accessible so that anyone with a very basic set of chops and a cheap guitar could join a band with like minded souls without being subjected to ridicule or having to attend a conservatoire beforehand. Similarly, the subject matter was considerably more pragmatic, prosaic and political (at least in the UK) than the sort of conceptual tangents so beloved of Sinfield, Anderson, Gabriel, Lake et al. Prog was effectively overripe and rotting by circa 1974/75 and had lost much of its customer base. I'm still unsure what deserting Prog fans started to listen to instead between then and the end of the decade?
Sorry, old chap. I was baking a soufflé for dinner guests while listening to X  by Klaus Schultz, which I realize now is not conducive to proper posts by yours truly.

I agree that Prog was overripe in the mid seventies and rotting but that reason was not of itself solely responsible for Punk's formation and rapid rise. Perhaps it was only one of many factors. But again, just one.

The hole I left out in my post was simply that if had Prog been the sole or, at least, the most significant factor in Punk's rise, then Prog would have been instrumental in shaping the future of Pop music in the late seventies and upwards. But to re-emphasize, it seems likely that the decline of Prog was only one of many, many factors, at least IMHO.

Again, my apologies for the unclear posting.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 12:35

Tom Verlaine felt Television were not part of any so-called punk movement. "We felt outside of that," he says. "I don't think any of those bands (Patti Smith, Blondie, Talking Heads, Voidoids) were punk and everybody knows they're not punk so it's kind of a dead issue. Nobody calls those bands punk, outside of maybe the Ramones."

I'm aware of the distinctions between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, Ian. Simply put, Television has to be categorized. So what category would you place them in?

I wasn't being pedantic.  If they have to be categorized, Television are a rock band who stripped away a lot of the habitual blues vocabulary from their music which gave it a somewhat unique sound for the time.  No more, no less.
Unfortunately Ian, all music has to be categorized. I'm not being condescending, it's the curse that we live with. I'll use the numerous subgenres in PA as an example.

Television has to be categorized for practical reasons under a defined genre. How you or I care to describe the group's music or sound is beside the point.

The aim of my question to you was to emphasize that categorizations are just too limiting for something as diverse and broad in application and scope as music. Any music. Any genre.
Again, many words by yours truly without getting to the point, which is simply that Television fell into the improper Punk classification, IMHO, due to their early seventies formation and late seventies peak.

Thanks for your patience. Especially as, it seems, we are of the same mind on this topic.

Edited by SteveG - March 08 2015 at 13:06
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 12:38
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Just to illustrate how the punk movement was big in my country and how much Punk was popular in former Yugoslavia, here's a feature film Dečko koji Obećava ("The Promising Boy") about the punk movement in former Yugoslavia that was a big hit in cinemas across the country in 1981: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZddmkTQsZaE (English subtitles, drama genre). The members of Belgrade's post-punk band Šarlo Akrobata - already in Prog Archives as an "avant-prog" act what always make me laugh - are also starring in this film. Released in 1981, it was one of the first feature films with the theme of Punk ever filmed. Not that much feature 'punk-movies' was filmed before Yugoslav "The Promising Boy", as e.g. British film Jubilee with Adam Ant from 1977, Rock'n'Roll Highschool, an American comedy with The Ramones from 1979, Dutch movie Cha Cha with Lene Lovich and Nina Hagen from 1979 and the British film Breaking Glass  with Hazel O'Connor from 1980.
In February 1981, one of the major record companies in former Yugoslavia, Jugoton, released a punk / post-punk compilation album titled Paket Aranžman ("Package Deal") with the songs of the most popular Yugoslav punk / post-punk bands; that album sold tremendously well to this day, as it reached a cult status.

Both mentioned film and the compilation were a final "victory" of Punk aesthetics here. As a music genre, Punk in my country represented a complete break with the Progressive rock because young bands were completely turned into punk and (or) post-punk. Progressive rock in my country has not yet recovered from Punk hysteria then gripped the former Yugoslavia in late 70s / early 80s. 

A few days ago, a former Yugoslav punk rocker (who also starring with his band in "The Promising Boy" the movie), Vlada Divljan from "Idoli" ("Idols") died by cancer at 57. As a young man he was one of the pioneers of the punk movement here, and the government is seriously considering to declare a day of mourning in the capital of Serbia. That's how big youth movement it was here.
Great post, comrade Svetonio! hey what about some LIVE FOOTAGE of 80s Yugoslavia post-punk grooves? it would be nice:

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:12
Being somewhat removed from the dress-me-up Punk scene (in 1976 I was 19 and tipped the scales at 85Kg  ... too old and too fat to be a Punk), I was only concerned with the music, and yes, I eschewed the flavour-of-the-month bandwagon-jumping trendy faddism of spiked-haired, safety-pinned, gobbing, pogoing prefabricated Punk and all the media hype that surrounded it. I was 19, I grew-up listening to The Beatles, The Move and The Moody Blues; I became a Pink Floyd and Van der Graaf Generator fan when I was 12; while still in high school I found the electronic music of White Noise, Tangerine Dream and T.O.N.T.O to be the most captivating music I'd ever heard; during that time I got into Le Orme and PFM, yet still held dear Glam Rock albums by T Rex and The Sweet, I knew my own mind and knew what I liked. In 1976 I discovered 'In The Region Of The Summer Stars' and instantly fell in love with the unfashionable musicianship of The Enid. The following year I saw Gloria Mundi and Ultravox! hit the stage at Reading with so much intensity and passion that The Sex Pistols and The Ramones seemed pedestrian and stale by comparison, (anyone who thinks that either Gloria Mundi or Ultravox! were just punk bands needs to explain to me how bands that included keyboard, saxophone and violin in their line-ups are Punk). Simply put: if the music was interesting I listened to it regardless of what tag it carried or which pigeon-hole it was neatly slotted into, and following the maxim that 90% of everything is crap (Sturgeon's Law), there were, without question, some nuggets of gold to be found in that emergent scene but not much, more could be discovered in what followed.

As Iain says, the legacy of punk wasn't the music but the aesthetic (thou' "discipline" is not a word one would automatically associate with Punk I am not so dim as to not understand what he's getting at), and from where I sat, that was defined most purely as raw energy. Metal's "benefit" from that was not in what Punk's 3-chord 12-bar rock'n'roll brought to the melting pot (since that had kept the likes of Status Quo clad in denim for over a decade) but what it took away, so with that New Wave of _______ Heavy Metal is (in my contention) not an extension of Punk, because it is clearly an extension and progression of "old skool" Hard Rock produced with a little punk aesthetic, slab of punkish attitude, and the injection of a well needed boost of raw energy. Later Metal subgenres that developed out of that (meh... take your pick: Thrash, Speed, Death, Black, ____core, etc. etc ad infinitum), simply played with the basic formula a little. 

And so it was with New Wave and Post Punk, though perhaps they are harder to define as they were not a singularly identifiable styles of music but umbrella catch-alls to describe a wide palette of musical styles. They were not an extension of, or progression out of, Punk even when (or if) some of the pioneering (pie and earring.. yukyukyuk) bands that formed the genesis of New Wave and/or Post Punk were part of that initial Punk explosion back in 1975/76. Evidence of this for me is how quickly those nascent Punk bands transitioned into creating music that was far beyond both Punk Rock music and Punk aesthetic/ethos/idealism. The evolution of Punk into Post Punk over such a short time frame just does not add up. Conversely, the evolution of Progressive Rock into Post Punk not only adds up, it dots the i's and crosses the t's if you view a Punk aesthetic as a filter to that music.

So for me, punctuated equilibrium (no it wasn't a pun, but now I see it, it is quite amusing) is a more logical explanation: 1976 did not suddenly produce a wealth musicians whose ability, skill-level and technical competency was at the barest minimum required to thrash out 3-chord 12-bar for two-and-a-half minutes while some nasally snot-nosed yob whined on about how tough life was living on the dole. Nor did it suddenly render unemployable and redundant any musician who could actually play their instrument. Sure, there were a few who achieved a little fame and notoriety for being unable to play their instruments, but their moment in the spotlight was short-lived. In the main, Punk was made by musicians who understood music and knew how to play, and those musicians grew up listening to and playing music that was far more complex and involved than Punk Rock. We can only speculate as to what kind of music those musicians would have created had Punk Rock never existed, but it is evident that once the Punk bubble had burst they quickly gravitated to a new level of complexity and musicianship that wasn't present in Punk Rock. That post-punk wave of music may superficially bear little resemblance to the progressive music scene that preceded it, until that is you scratch beneath the surface and start to think about where that music came from, Post-punk is Prog Rock (or some other pre-Punk Rock music) seen through Punk-tinted spectacles if you like. 

In 1977 David Bowie released Low and Heroes, a pair of much lauded and highly regard albums which formed 2/3rds of his acclaimed Berlin Trilogy. While not being post-punk per se, they are New Wave in some respects, heavily influenced by Krautrock, these are unrepentantly New Wave Art Rock albums played through a punk aesthetic such that Philip Glass would later described them as "fairly complex pieces of music, masquerading as simple pieces.

Edited by Dean - March 08 2015 at 14:28
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:22
^I agree with you except on this one critical point. No Post Punk artist would have been caught dead if they even hinted that their music was Prog or Prog inspired. There seems to be some other factor involved then just avoiding sounding like an old music trend. Being labeled Post Punk, however, was quite alright. Even for the more arty and experimental artists who requested not to be labeled at all, the Post Punk moniker seemed to cause them little discomfort.

Edited by SteveG - March 08 2015 at 14:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:32

^I agree with you except on this one critical point. No Post Punk artist would have been caught dead if they even hinted that their music was Prog or Prog inspired. There seems to be some other factor involved then just avoiding sounding like an old music trend. Being labeled Post Punk, however, was quite alright. Even for the more arty and experimental artists who requested not to be labeled at all, the Post Punk moniker seemed to cause them little discomfort.
Oh - I agree, (John Lydon's later praise of Peter Hammill and VdGG not withstanding), and that fear of "not being caught dead" was wholly attributable to how they would be perceived in the music press rather than any audience counter-reaction to such a claim. Being tagged Prog was (and to some extent still is) an anathema to many and an albatross to be hung around the neck of any musician who dares to mention its name. 

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 14:51
I suspect the difficulty lies in the perception that music development within all genres of music is linear because in some of the more simplistic subgenres it is. Prog and Post Punk are not singular styles of music, they are parallel developments of differing styles. For example we regard Krautrock as being under the umbrella terminology of Progressive Rock, yet it bears no direct relationship with Prog Rock that came out of the UK, USA, Italy or Holland, it follows a parallel path and encompasses a sympathetic aesthetic. we can make the same observations about The Canterbury Scene and Zeuhl. New Wave suffers a similar parallelism - Neo Prog was Prog with a New Wave influence (a more accurate terminology would perhaps have been New Wave of British Progressive Rock, but the Neo Prog tag was thrown at it in the late 80s and the name stuck), to date this is the only nod to New Wave that has been acknowledged as being part of Progressive Rock umbrella.

Whether revisionism or new-found clarity, we have accepted Post Rock and Post Metal into the Prog cannon yet (aside from Japan, Talking Heads and Talk Talk) have dodged all attempts to add Post Punk. Television, Sonic Youth, The Stranglers, XTC and Magazine have all been suggested in the past (and rejected), which suggest that for some at least that connection between Progressive Rock and Post Punk has already been made.

Edited by Dean - March 08 2015 at 14:56
What?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 15:14
^ Indeed the connections are known to a good few minds in this prog circle.

What you may be forgetting, though, is that This Heat, Cardiacs, and even Saccharine Trust have made it in. All post-punk bands (which in the case of ST is specifically post-hardcore), that almost always heavily included prog aspects, and didn't care what the press thought of them... though, in another partial exception for ST, it's as much because the American HC scene wasn't set by any sort of press.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 15:22
Oddly enough, by the early 80's some of the more popular (relatively) pink acts in the U.S., while not explicitly embracing progressive rock, used some aspects of prog in their music.  The Dead Kennedys and Fear, to name two that I saw perform, often used odd time signatures and more difficult chord progressions in their music, and Flipper would embark on long psychedelic excursions.  Other groups at the time tried to follow them, but most were not successful, and by that time, the genre was already falling out of fashion (with fashion itself becoming more important to the market anyway).
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 05:36

So for me, punctuated equilibrium (no it wasn't a pun, but now I see it, it is quite amusing) is a more logical explanation: 1976 did not suddenly produce a wealth musicians whose ability, skill-level and technical competency was at the barest minimum required to thrash out 3-chord 12-bar for two-and-a-half minutes while some nasally snot-nosed yob whined on about how tough life was living on the dole. Nor did it suddenly render unemployable and redundant any musician who could actually play their instrument. Sure, there were a few who achieved a little fame and notoriety for being unable to play their instruments, but their moment in the spotlight was short-lived. In the main, Punk was made by musicians who understood music and knew how to play, and those musicians grew up listening to and playing music that was far more complex and involved than Punk Rock. We can only speculate as to what kind of music those musicians would have created had Punk Rock never existed, but it is evident that once the Punk bubble had burst they quickly gravitated to a new level of complexity and musicianship that wasn't present in Punk Rock. That post-punk wave of music may superficially bear little resemblance to the progressive music scene that preceded it, until that is you scratch beneath the surface and start to think about where that music came from, Post-punk is Prog Rock (or some other pre-Punk Rock music) seen through Punk-tinted spectacles if you like. 

Very perceptive post certainly, with this bit especially so re the inconspicuous and rarely acknowledged kinship between Prog and Post Punk. (I still don't understand what punctuated equilibrium is thoughConfused)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 06:06

(I still don't understand what punctuated equilibrium is thoughConfused)
Punctuated Equilibrium is the idea that things remain in a relatively constant state with very little evolutionary change until an event occurs that creates a significant evolutionary shift resulting in branching into two or more species and/or the rise of an otherwise less dominant species. The equilibrium state is where the fauna reach a stable state that is supported by the ecological flora. In the case of the Cretaceous dinosaurs they had exhibited a prolonged period of relative stability in the 66 million years following the Jurassic period, though there is evidence that they were in a gradual decline. This would have continued at its own evolutionary pace until something happened (KT-boundary event) that hastened their demise, which in turn saw the rapid evolution of mammals (dominant species) and birds (an evolutionary branch of dinosaurs) to fill the ecological gap left by the dinosaurs, this was followed by another prolonged period of stasis (the Tertiary period).  

My premise is that Punk was the 'KT-boundary' catastrophic event that hastened Prog's decline but contributed little or nothing to the music gene-pool. Punk in itself was unable to fill the hole in the musical ecology left by demise of Prog Rock, thus leaving room for Post Rock to evolve into that space.
What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 07:37

I dont remember it as beeing a bad time for music, even if I was not into much Punk at the time.

People i knew (all prog lover) was listening to new albums by :

Return to Forever - (76) 
Genesis (76)
Shakti (76-77)
Kate Bush (78)
Weather Report (76-77-78) 
Supertramp (77)
Alan Parsons (76-77-78)
Jethro Tull (76-77-78)
Pink Floyd (77)
Joni Mitchell (and Jaco) (77)
Yes (77)

There was a sh*tzload of great albums made in the period, I think most prog lover, didnt think much about the so called decline that the press was "creating". And if they did, it is more like that they started thinking about it in 81-82 at a time when Punk was no longer very "hot".

So i belive it would be more fair to say New Wave was the "Logical Extension of Prog" in the circles i'we been in.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 08:25

(I still don't understand what punctuated equilibrium is thoughConfused)
Punctuated Equilibrium is the idea that things remain in a relatively constant state with very little evolutionary change until an event occurs that creates a significant evolutionary shift resulting in branching into two or more species and/or the rise of an otherwise less dominant species. The equilibrium state is where the fauna reach a stable state that is supported by the ecological flora. In the case of the Cretaceous dinosaurs they had exhibited a prolonged period of relative stability in the 66 million years following the Jurassic period, though there is evidence that they were in a gradual decline. This would have continued at its own evolutionary pace until something happened (KT-boundary event) that hastened their demise, which in turn saw the rapid evolution of mammals (dominant species) and birds (an evolutionary branch of dinosaurs) to fill the ecological gap left by the dinosaurs, this was followed by another prolonged period of stasis (the Tertiary period).  

My premise is that Punk was the 'KT-boundary' catastrophic event that hastened Prog's decline but contributed little or nothing to the music gene-pool. Punk in itself was unable to fill the hole in the musical ecology left by demise of Prog Rock, thus leaving room for Post Rock to evolve into that space.

OK I think I understand that a little better now (and I love the irony of a dinosaur analogy vis a vis Prog's demise) but yes, I think it's a very astute premise but there's still a nagging 'gap' between '75 and '80 i.e. Prog was a bloated corpse by 74/75 tops and it's fan-base had abandoned the ship long before the advent of Punk circa 76/77. I do appreciate your careful choice of 'hastened' to describe Punk's role in Prog's decline but for me, emergent Post Punk (XTC, Cure, Banshees, PIL, Fall, Joy Division, Bunnymen, Monochrome Set, Talking Heads, Magazine et al) was very sudden and wasn't populated by musicians who had previously been fashionably slumming it pretending they had no technique, articulacy, ambition etc. (OK I get the lineage of Siouxsie, Devoto and Lydon) I just can't see any gradual evolution from: last rites are read to Prog Rock, the shackles are off for Post Punk musicians to get adventurous and innovative. I've never been able to understand what at the time (I was 18) might have precipitated this unforcasted tsunami of wondrous creativity. It was the only time in my adult life I bought albums 'the day they were released'
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 08:49

Oh - I agree, (John Lydon's later praise of Peter Hammill and VdGG not withstanding), and that fear of "not being caught dead" was wholly attributable to how they would be perceived in the music press rather than any audience counter-reaction to such a claim. Being tagged Prog was (and to some extent still is) an anathema to many and an albatross to be hung around the neck of any musician who dares to mention its name. 

I'm not an expert on this area, as I've stated numerous times, but I would like to bring up one of my favorite Post Punk bands, The Stranglers, who were certainly on their own Psych-Post Punk (pop?) train but maintained the Punk ethos of being brawlers, having an adoring fan base that were their shock troops, and the fact that the band even partook of heroin to gain insights into that lifestyle and used those insights to create songs. (Shades of the Velvet Underground?)

Was this all done merely for how they appeared in the press? I don't necessary think so. I believe that the Punk ethos and aesthetic was deep seeded in this group, as it was with many others, their actions were not always commercially based.  Of course, some were only in it for the money, as Mr. Zappa once stated.
This is why I feel that Punk split the later rock music era (the Beatles split it first in the early sixties) into two distinct sections, before Punk and after (Post) Punk. Seeing this movement as solely media hype, or  as artist's pandering solely to the media, strikes me as being extremely restrictive. I feel that the aversion to the Prog tag By Post Punk artists was, at times, an aversion to one old music genre, among many, that was "defeated" by the "Punk revolution".  Regardless if that "revolution" was real, contrived or both. I feel that, as with most recorded events in history, both is the correct answer.

Edited by SteveG - March 09 2015 at 14:42
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 09:58

I suspect the difficulty lies in the perception that music development within all genres of music is linear because in some of the more simplistic subgenres it is. Prog and Post Punk are not singular styles of music, they are parallel developments of differing styles. For example we regard Krautrock as being under the umbrella terminology of Progressive Rock, yet it bears no direct relationship with Prog Rock that came out of the UK, USA, Italy or Holland, it follows a parallel path and encompasses a sympathetic aesthetic. we can make the same observations about The Canterbury Scene and Zeuhl. New Wave suffers a similar parallelism - Neo Prog was Prog with a New Wave influence (a more accurate terminology would perhaps have been New Wave of British Progressive Rock, but the Neo Prog tag was thrown at it in the late 80s and the name stuck), to date this is the only nod to New Wave that has been acknowledged as being part of Progressive Rock umbrella.

Whether revisionism or new-found clarity, we have accepted Post Rock and Post Metal into the Prog cannon yet (aside from Japan, Talking Heads and Talk Talk) have dodged all attempts to add Post Punk. Television, Sonic Youth, The Stranglers, XTC and Magazine have all been suggested in the past (and rejected), which suggest that for some at least that connection between Progressive Rock and Post Punk has already been made.
I can definitely respect the views of parallel genre development as I deal with it with the sixties American and British Psych Rock developments which, when first initiated, were quite separate with the creating artists having quite different aims for their music. Sonic experimentation (British) versus substance evangelization (American). But it seems to me that New Wave did also hold on to the Punk aesthetic (if not the ethos) as that music was, for the greater part, simpler with no serious subject matter. Songs such as Our HouseMelt With You and De do do do de da da da would seem to confirm my feelings.

Edited by SteveG - March 09 2015 at 13:44
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 02:14
Since you are a songwriter who teaches others I would have thought that Sting's 'articulate song about being inarticulate' would have been regarded as serious enough subject matter.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>