Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New site feature: social review comments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 02:44
^that is a technical matter that is easy to solve - by tying it I to the PM mechanism.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:40
M@X aka Harvey Specter from SUITS Big smile this is a brilliant suggestion! If moderated and if one has to sign in via email or social network account to comment, this could be a good thing! I doubt anything negative bad towards a review would be said because they will be using true accounts. Many people are too intimidated to post on the forum, this would bring more readers/listeners to the site. I believe a lot Collabs and prog reviewers would get much more praise for their well thought and inspiring work too. Thus overall generate more traffic too for this site Thumbs Up
Big hug to you HugHarvey Embarrassed
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 11:44
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

M@X aka Harvey Specter from SUITS Big smile this is a brilliant suggestion! If moderated and if one has to sign in via email or social network account to comment, this could be a good thing! I doubt anything negative bad towards a review would be said because they will be using true accounts. Many people are too intimidated to post on the forum, this would bring more readers/listeners to the site. I believe a lot Collabs and prog reviewers would get much more praise for their well thought and inspiring work too. Thus overall generate more traffic too for this site Thumbs Up
Big hug to you HugHarvey Embarrassed

Stern Smile ok this sounded way less corny in my mind "Collabs and prog reviewers would get much more praise for their well thought and inspiring work too"
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 17:40
I'm in favor this feature. As long as it's moderated, I don't see why getting comments on a review is scary. Just my 0.02, I hardly ever write reviews and when I do they're horrible, so I dno't really have a dog in the fight.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 14:32
Reviews stay in the home page for a rather short time. If once they are gone from the home page there's no way to follow them up I see the feature rather useless, you will see 2 or 3 comments per review at the most before they disappear from sight forever. Notifications to the reviewer are not much help since nobody else can see them and add to the discussion.

Only if the reviews with comments showed up in some kind of forum-like section, in sequence of 'review with last comment first' (same as forum topics sequence), for as long as the comments thread stays alive, I see it as a good idea.

I do not mind people commenting on my (very few) reviews. Most digital newspapers allow user comments on the news and although most of those comments are b*sht, sometimes the journalist can learn something from the comments made on his article by other people.

I also liked the idea of users being able to rate the reviews, this would encourage the competition for 'best review' or 'best reviewer'. Rating them would be much more powerful than just a 'thumbs up-down' or 'like' / 'was this helpful' button.

Edited by Gerinski - March 11 2015 at 14:36
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 15:37
I don't really know how such things work (i.e. integrating Facebook comment feature, or how the internet business scene works), but when I first heard of the idea, I thought of it from a business perspective, which is where I presume M@X is coming from -- sure, the forum commentary keeps things nice and easy and contained in our own world, but opening it up to a concept like "Facebook" has the ring of expanding the site's penetration into the world at large.  From that perspective, my first thought was that it would probably be good for the site, even if it gave another door for trolls (the cost of doing business, say).  At least see how it flies for a while.

But most of the opinions posted so far seem heavily skewed in the other direction - essentially saying, no, we don't need that, we have all the feedback mechanisms we need, and what's more, we anticipate that the trolling will increase to a high degree, and our best and brightest reviewers will be dis-incentivized to even write reviews.  I hadn't really thought that part through, and while I don't truly think it would cause a major stir, in that light it doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  Plus, you gotta make the forum regulars happy, right? :)  We's the bread and butter of this joint.

So the "on/off" option seems ideal.  Interested to see if that comes through.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 11 2015 at 15:37
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 18:49
Having to comment through Facebook is what I dislike most about this. I enjoyed and used this feature a lot on MMA and always thought it would be worthwhile to see how it goes here, but the last time I was on Facebook was when I first created a profile there some six or five years ago and I haven't touched it since. I'm certainly not going to log in there just to use this feature here.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 19:31
I just tried it to see how it works, opting not to post on FB (which I assume is what M@x may be intending to increase discussion on reviews etc). It's not bad but can't see any huge benefit apart from a tap at the back
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 19:54
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Amazon has probably copyrighted that idea......
Most music equipment site use the same feature as well as iTunes, so I'm not so sure.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2015 at 21:12
No! Not the Book of Faces Sick!  Just a mild over reaction on my part.  This site is the only thing close to social media I log into besides buying something on line (family/friends keep telling me to join FB, but I tell them to email me or pick up the phone). 

I would like to see some of the great reviewers here on PA AND the music get more exposure, but not at the cost of anything that would distract from the music and reviews.  Of some of this thread I have read, the idea of reviewers having control of comments seems like a good starting point in controls or checks and balances.
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I thought the 'I really like your review' thread is sufficient enough for those that invest their heart and soul into their writings. Then again, who am I to say, I'm just a paranoid android.......

and this...along with PMs which I sadly have not done enough of...
My 2 cents worth or other equal currency.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 12:28
I'm really not into aligning our wonderful P.A. site to social media. I feel it is the pussifying of America (and the world) to rely on these sites to get the word out. The average ilk of the folks who use them doesn't impress me at all, either. When I hear on the news that a prominent figure "Twittered" a statement in response to a particular story, I cringe. And what little experience I've had with social media hasn't been favorable. Using a friend's account, I once looked up an old girlfriend on a site that will be left nameless (Why advertise?). I then received a phone call out of the blue from this lady informing me of her mother's death and a pending memorial service. Rather than phone her back a few days later to R.S.V.P, I wrote her a letter that happened to mention my once looking her up on the social media site. Never heard from her again, so I suppose she assumed I'd been cyber-stalking her. So sensitive. A real nothing-burger set of events that jaded me on the social media scene. Let it be known that I'd rather reach out and touch someone by letting my fingers do the walking.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 20:41
For what little my opinion is worth, I don't like this feature.  I don't use Facebook and never will.  I don't care that what a certain subsection of the Internet thinks of my reviews.

PM bad comments or write positive comments in the appropriate thread.  We already had that, right?

"Innovations" like this just make me less and less interested in the site, I'm sorry to say.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:28
How does it work?.....I just clicked on a review to tell someone I agreed with his review and the social review thing doesn't do anything.
??
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:35
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not a fan of this at all.  My opinion is that people should spend their time writing their own reviews about the music rather than being able to attach "comments" that get billing right below the hard work of others.  It's like they get the last word on a review someone else took the time to submit, and I think that sucks if they get to inject criticism on someone's work.  If you don't like a review, write your own review. 

Reviewers should have the ability "turn off" this feature on their reviews, if they wish.  To decide whether or not to allow "comments".  JMO. 

Agree 100%.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 08:51
After a few more minutes of thought I would offer this.

1 - Make relating it to FaceBook a checkable option, I, like many others, have no interest in FaceBook, but I would be ok hearing what someone thought about my reviews if it helped me produce better ones
2 - Give it selections of  - I found this review informative and helpful / I did NOT find this review informative and helpful (smiley face / frowny face)
3 - Give a selection to 'View reader's feedback'
4 - Limit the comments to 100 characters for brevity, any decent feedback can be stated in that amount of text without it becoming too much of a rant
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 16:43
Ok...I'll try again...how does it work exactly ....I tried clicking on it under a review and nothing happened.
?
Haquin
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ok...I'll try again...how does it work exactly ....I tried clicking on it under a review and nothing happened.
?

I'm not sure how it works either but I think it's designed so that a mild but discomfiting electric shock is delivered to anyone criticising Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Jim Morrison, John Lennon or other holy ex-cows

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 04 2015 at 06:59
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2015 at 11:38

?

I'm not exactly sure how it works either doc, but that may have something to do with my lack of interest in this featureEmbarrassed 

Edit: Well I just clicked the first review on the front page and it lead me straight to a little commenting bubble underneath the review. Seems to work just fine.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 04 2015 at 11:40
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

?

I'm not exactly sure how it works either doc, but that may have something to do with my lack of interest in this featureEmbarrassed 

Edit: Well I just clicked the first review on the front page and it lead me straight to a little commenting bubble underneath the review. Seems to work just fine.

Ok..I'll try again.....not sure what you 'clicked' on though..............

I clicked on link 'social review comments' and it took me to the review on another page...no place to post any comments...... what am I doing wrong?
Confused 

Edited by dr wu23 - April 05 2015 at 11:47
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 12:09
Same thing happened with me: I clicked the social review comments which lead me to a new page, where underneath the review was a small box to comment in.
I'm not sure whether you're doing anything wrong doc - maybe one needs to have a Facebook account in order for this to fly? Like I said, I'm not sure how this works, but I'll swing it by the admin zone.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>