Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog & others

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 02:45
I think it was the combo of criticizing Olav for something that has no effect whatsoever and the snide comment made at PA that did the trick.

Btw I read my previous post back and it sadly looks like I don't care for new and up coming acts, which is all wrong. The folks who know me can surely testify to that. Hell I even started a thread last year called '2014' picks to highlight great new music. 
Personally though, I tend to find most of the new and exciting stuff outside of the "regular" prog circles. Many of these acts are still featured on PA, but often located in the psych, avant, electronic or fusion quarters, where you often get music that no doubt deserves to be here but doesn't necessarily sound like Prog. 
Still, when I then try to spread the word over the forum, there's almost never any replies. I get it though, I do listen to some weird sh*t from time to timeLOL.........but it's more than that. People with far more "normal" tastes in music often run into the same problems. There's just soooooooooo much new stuff out there that it overwhelms you, and you can't listen to it all. I tried a few years back but got tired of doing nothing but listening to other people's suggestions. Maybe tired is the wrong word though, but I definitely missed my own albums and doing the 'research' for myself.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 02:49
Maybe forums are as dead as magazines, David - who knows. I largely agree with what you were aiming at in your previous post though. I actually commented on another thread yesterday wondering why it is that this forum contains almost daily a new thread in which someone starts 'whining' about what is wrong with how people treat prog and prog bands, instead of enjoying and promoting the music themselves. It's getting close to nauseating to be honest - so I just posted my review for the wonderful Tiger Moth Tales project here to make up for it.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 02:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think it was the combo of criticizing Olav for something that has no effect whatsoever and the snide comment made at PA that did the trick.

Btw I read my previous post back and it sadly looks like I don't care for new and up coming acts, which is all wrong. The folks who know me can surely testify to that. Hell I even started a thread last year called '2014' picks to highlight great new music. 
Personally though, I tend to find most of the new and exciting stuff outside of the "regular" prog circles. Many of these acts are still featured on PA, but often located in the psych, avant, electronic or fusion quarters, where you often get music that no doubt deserves to be here but doesn't necessarily sound like Prog. 
Still, when I then try to spread the word over the forum, there's almost never any replies. I get it though, I do listen to some weird sh*t from time to timeLOL.........but it's more than that. People with far more "normal" tastes in music often run into the same problems. There's just soooooooooo much new stuff out there that it overwhelms you, and you can't listen to it all. I tried a few years back but got tired of doing nothing but listening to other people's suggestions. Maybe tired is the wrong word though, but I definitely missed my own albums and doing the 'research' for myself.

Hahahaha Guldbansem, this is not possible that people won't take notice of your posts LOL
You are one of the most exciting spunky (truthful) members on here, everyone takes notice of you this I am sure. If that was the case I think maybe your timing of posting was wrong and was overshadowed by another post within same forum topic. Wink 
Big hug to you Hug
P.S. It's quite hard and unlikely to miss you LOLEmbarrassedHug
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:15
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Maybe forums are as dead as magazines, David - who knows. I largely agree with what you were aiming at in your previous post though. I actually commented on another thread yesterday wondering why it is that this forum contains almost daily a new thread in which someone starts 'whining' about what is wrong with how people treat prog and prog bands, instead of enjoying and promoting the music themselves. It's getting close to nauseating to be honest - so I just posted my review for the wonderful Tiger Moth Tales project here to make up for it.

Maybe there's just too much forest to spot the individual tree that you actually do want to climb?

Or maybe we've reached a point where there sadly are as many prog bands as there are fans?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:17
Ha... that could be true, David, but there being so many bands is no excuse for whining - that will only reduce the available time to find out which tree to climb.  :p
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:17
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Hahahaha Guldbansem, this is not possible that people won't take notice of your posts LOL
You are one of the most exciting spunky (truthful) members on here, everyone takes notice of you this I am sure. If that was the case I think maybe your timing of posting was wrong and was overshadowed by another post within same forum topic. Wink 
Big hug to you Hug

Thanks I'll take that as a compliment (I thinkLOL).

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:23
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Ha... that could be true, David, but there being so many bands is no excuse for whining - that will only reduce the available time to find out which tree to climb.  :p

Exactly, but then again, everyone is a critic today. That is our prerogative. We get to rate everything from food to travels to music to films to the reviews that review them. It's become a worldwide sport being negative over the web. Why? Because it garners more views and more commotion than the respectful route.

- Douglas Adams
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:24
I know... I'd have millions of hits on my blog if it was the other way round...
ISKC Rock Radio
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:29

Hahahaha Guldbansem, this is not possible that people won't take notice of your posts LOL
Big hug to you Hug

Thanks I'll take that as a compliment (I thinkLOL).

hahaha LOL yes of course it's a compliment! LOL
Guldbansem, you are so clever, insightful and sincere (funny) too also you defend everyone on here, while also being very passionate lol you are a beautiful person! This said you made me feel so welcome on here inc. saying the truth when one is wrong, i.e. what I just said, also had a go at me (ok I admit arghhh I was wrong and regret it... but all is good now) and your spunkiness full of life to jump in is like no other, you are amazing plus you look like Heston Blumenthal hehehe Big smile hahahaha LOL hug Hug
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:33

Yes, I am criticized Windhawk but also all of those who make their suggestions of the new bands directly in CZ because on that way these suggested new and young bands are promptly losing, let's say, 80% of ther little chances of being promoted at PA. Perhaps on that way the new bands are archived as prog acts in reputable progarchives.com more easily, I mean when they are suggested by PA's big shots directly in CZ, but I remind you, any archive in the World is a "dusty" thing. When a new band is in archives, there is really a big chance to be forgotten, and yet that new band get no thread in PA' public forum 'cause they were suggested in the Collab Zone. So, in my humble opinion, all of the suggestions would be delivered in "Suggestion New Bands and Solo Artist" sub-forum because it's very regarded sub-forum and it's good for the new bands promotion.
As for the reviews (as this is not only an archives site but also a reviews site), everyone is free to write a review on this website, and it is a great thing. However, in favor of trying to make that promotion of young bands bigger, each one's first review at PA, in my opinion, ought to be about a new band's debut album ( reviewer can chose any of them) that is with zero reviews, and then to write 500th review of Close to the Edge.
On this way, the new bands will get more reviews, and also in the Prog Archives will be less albums without any review. Of course, this can not change the things regarding the site's promotion of new prog bands "absolutely" better, but it certainly can help imho.

Edited by Svetonio - April 24 2015 at 05:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:42
But PA is not a promotional vehicle. It can be sure but it's not it's function.

Collabs often throw their suggestions straight to the horse's mouth because it's the best and easiest way of making sure they arrive at the proper team.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 24 2015 at 03:43

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:42
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Yes, I am criticized Windhawk but also all of those who make their suggestions of the new bands directly in CZ because on that way these suggested new and young bands are promptly losing, let's say, 80% of ther little chances of being promoted at PA. Perhaps on that way the new bands are archived as prog acts in reputable progarchives.com more easily, I mean when they suggested by PA's big shots directly in CZ, but I remind you, any archive in the World is a "dusty" thing. When a new band is in archives, there is really a big chance to be forgotten, and yet that new band get no thread in PA' public forum 'cause they were suggested in the Collab Zone. So, in my humble opinion, all of the suggestions would be delivered in "Suggestion New Bands and Solo Artist" sub-forum because it's very regarded sub-forum and it's good for the new bands promotion.
As for the review (as this is not only an archives site but also a reviews site), everyone is free to write a review on this website, and it is a great thing. However, in favor of trying to make that promotion of young bands bigger, each one's first review at PA, in my opinion, ought be about a new band's debut album ( reviewer can chose any of them), and then to write 500th review of Close to the Edge.
Of course, this can not change the things regarding the site's promotion of new prog bands "absolutely" better, but it certainly can help imho.
Sventonio this is not necessary fair what you are saying, if you look for instance at the Top 2014 bands on P.A. rating chart many if not most are unknown. Hug Hug 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:44
He's just sore about the fact that almost no one supports his claim of the "new prog revolution".

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:45
P.A. is the exact opposite to the forum topic in terms of only highlighting the well known bands.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:48

P.A. is the exact opposite to the forum topic in terms of only highlighting the well known bands.

I think so tooClap

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:48
Any band can be added to P.A. as long as they have members voting them in, most of these bands are unknown. It falls to the bands to get reviews, preferably from P.A. credited reviewers or collabs. P.A. in this case is a positive, a great outlook to any band who do take themselves seriously. Heart
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:50

I think so tooClap
Big smileApprove mhwoaaahhxxxx Hug
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:53
(a double post earesed)

Edited by Svetonio - April 24 2015 at 04:25
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:56

He's just sore about the fact that almost no one supports his claim of the "new prog revolution".

I missed that claim completely... 
Seriously though - it might be a good thing that there's not a lot of PA traffic about new bands. Maybe, just maybe, they are not dusty enough to sit in an archive and found other channels to promote themselves (Facebook, Ello, Bandcamp, Soundcloud...). Copying e.g. bandcamp links to the forums is useful as part of discussing music, but I expect that most of these bands audience will go to bandcamp directly. The world doesn't end at the gates of PA. 

Edited by Angelo - April 24 2015 at 03:57
ISKC Rock Radio
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 03:59

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

While I'm all for the promotion of new bands, (...)
Not at all I'm affraid 'cause, for example and aside of your great reviews, the most bands that you suggested for PA, you have been suggested them in the Collab Zone ( btw, that Collab Zone more and more remind me of some kind of a "prog massonery" stuff of which I personally think that was a big mistake done at this very site) not in a public forum so nobody heard that some new and young band is added.
~Be afffraid, wery a-frayed... all those who do not stand up and publicly declare their love and support for Svetonio shall be forever counted as being against Svetonio.

If you want to know why or how this reply to Olav is seen as being rude and discourteous it is because you ignored everything he actually wrote and launched into an unprovoked attack on him and the PA of your own invention. If you don't like the way things are done here then go elsewhere.

For your information, you supercilious twonk, Olav has done more for the PA than any other person on this planet. He is a prog-powerhouse and a one-man army. Seriously, he's added more bands, written more biographies and more discographies than anyone here. He also has a far higher success-rate at having his suggestions accepted into the database than anyone else - not because he suggests them in the CZ and not just because he's kind, lovable old Olav, but because he's got far a better "prog" ear and so he's more selective about who he suggests than a lot of people around here (mentioning no names).

Now, as for the falling masonry in the CZ... that oh-so privileged club that you're never going to be asked to join. Nothing happens there. Really. Nothing ever does. It's boring and uneventful. All there is are a few Prog-elves working busily away in the background processing the hundreds of new bands suggestions without the distracting interference from the people who suggested the band, the band members and their loyal fan. Allowing the genre teams a place to discuss each evaluation without being constantly pestered by well-meaning busybodies was an unavoidable necessity. 

Yes, I am criticized Windhawk but also all of those who make their suggestions of the new bands directly in CZ because on that way these suggested new and young bands are promptly losing, let's say, 80% of ther little chances of being promoted at PA. Perhaps on that way the new bands are archived as prog acts in reputable progarchives.com more easily, I mean when they are suggested by PA's big shots directly in CZ, but I remind you, any archive in the World is a "dusty" thing. When a new band is in archives, there is really a big chance to be forgotten, and yet that new band get no thread in PA' public forum 'cause they were suggested in the Collab Zone. So, in my humble opinion, all of the suggestions would be delivered in "Suggestion New Bands and Solo Artist" sub-forum because it's very regarded sub-forum and it's good for the new bands promotion.
So - Olav has a short-cut into The System that you do not have. (admit it, that's what pissed you off isn't it!). He is sensible and responsible. He has also been an active and very productive member of three (or more) genre teams so he knows how to behave - he quietly makes a suggestion and then backs off until the band is accepted, then he volunteers to write the biography and add the band and its discography.

I have said this before and I'll say it again: It is NOT the PA's job to promote bands. New or Old.

If a band gets added to the PA database (by whatever route) then our job is done. We simply do not have the resources, the man-power or the wherewithal to promote every new band that gets suggested, evaluated and added to the database. If someone with a vested interest in promoting the band wants to use their inclusion here then that is for them to do, not us.

If you want to promote new music then promote new music, but the way you are currently doing it is not promoting anything other than Bandcamp, YouTube and yourself. Suggesting hundreds of bands and posting thousands of youtube videos ... that's not helping anyone, that's not promotion, that's internet flyposting. If you where genuinely interested in all of those bands then you should re-think your strategy. If you are genuinely supportive of every band you suggest or post a video of then you must be a very rich person to afford to do this because I certainly couldn't.

As for the reviews at this site (as this is not only an archives site only but also a reviews site), everyone is free to write a review on this website, and it is a great thing. However, in favor of trying to make that promotion of young bands bigger, each one's first review at PA, in my opinion, ought be about a new band's debut album ( reviewer can chose any of them), and then to write 500th review of Close to the Edge.

Of course, this can not change the things regarding the site's promotion of new prog bands "absolutely" better, but it certainly can help imho.
Ho, ho, ho. Now you want to dictate which albums get reviewed? Sorry chum life isn't like that. We don't have staff reviewers, everyone here is freelance. You want to have a bands début album reviewed then write a doggamn review for it.  Let the reviews decide... how did that work out for you?

Edited by Dean - April 24 2015 at 04:01
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>