Topic Closed2015 NFL Season Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 21:19
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I was reading an article that said that Mariotta hadn't signed his contract yet because it has a clause in it that he can't surf during the season or during the off-season.  Apparently, since he is from Hawaii this is a bit of a deal breaker for him. 

They should have a fireworks clause instead. Tongue

But I can understand that...surfing can get dangerous.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 07:46
Well, it officially begins tonight with my Steelers against De-flatriots (sorry, could not resist...hopefully it is over with as it was all over blown).  I think Brady will be out for bear and with our pot head running back, great center, and our #2 receiver all of them out, I don't have a good feeling about the game tonight.

My worthless predictions:
AFC Division winners
Patriots
Ravens (hate to do it)
Colts
Broncos
AFC Wildcards:
Steelers
Chiefs

NFC Division winners:
Cowboys (hated to to do that also)
Packers
Saints
Seahawks
NFC Wildcards:
Cardinals
Giants (may be close with the Eagles but don't think Bradford will stay healthy)

No playoff picks yet....Smile
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 10:09
Finally...real football.

AFC:
Broncos
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Ravens
Dolphins

NFC:
Seahawks
Packers
Eagles
Falcons
Cardinals
Saints
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 00:58
Well, Pittsburgh had a legitimate chance to win, but really choked that one away. If you think about the 13 points they blew with the 2 missed FGs and that wide open TD the receiver missed...at one point (and not in garbage time) Pitt would've been leading! But it's not about what you could've done, and they also shot themselves with stupid mistakes. I thought Ben played quite well, Williams is still a great back, and the wideouts had some impressive moments! But as a team...I was quite unimpressed. 

Especially on defense. Not sure if they were playing soft, or just lacked talent, but they pretty much let the Pats walk all over them. The forgetting to cover Gronk certainly was a lowlight LOL The vaulted Steelers defense looks like a wet bag now. 

Pats were exactly what I expected: Efficient and deadly. Rarely wowed, but performed near perfection. 
Gronk is unstoppable, he's like the JJ Watt of offense ya can't really do much about him and hope to limit the damage. Given Brady's rough 2013 and early '14, then epic rebound lining up with Gronk's health...I think he may be the legit team MVP! Brady holds it together but Gronk is the spark that gets it all going. 

Edited by JJLehto - September 11 2015 at 00:59
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:02
^Yes they did let this one slip away.  Not sure what happened to our kicker from last year, thought he was still there until last night. Confused

As I feared...our young, inexperienced defense did not look good as well as new D coordinator.  Hopefully they will gel as the season progresses.  The offense played better than I expected with all the missing personnel being out.  Glad to see Williams do well, was wondering what he had left in the tank.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:15
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Well, Pittsburgh had a legitimate chance to win, but really choked that one away. If you think about the 13 points they blew with the 2 missed FGs and that wide open TD the receiver missed...at one point (and not in garbage time) Pitt would've been leading! But it's not about what you could've done, and they also shot themselves with stupid mistakes. I thought Ben played quite well, Williams is still a great back, and the wideouts had some impressive moments! But as a team...I was quite unimpressed. 

Especially on defense. Not sure if they were playing soft, or just lacked talent, but they pretty much let the Pats walk all over them. The forgetting to cover Gronk certainly was a lowlight LOL The vaulted Steelers defense looks like a wet bag now. 

Pats were exactly what I expected: Efficient and deadly. Rarely wowed, but performed near perfection. 
Gronk is unstoppable, he's like the JJ Watt of offense ya can't really do much about him and hope to limit the damage. Given Brady's rough 2013 and early '14, then epic rebound lining up with Gronk's health...I think he may be the legit team MVP! Brady holds it together but Gronk is the spark that gets it all going. 

The Steelers defense has been bereft of talent for years. They were 30th in DVOA last year and needed to bring back 50 year old woman beating James Harrison just to get some semblance of a pass rush.

I don't think the game was really so close. The game flow towards the end made the score that way of course, but maybe I'm being too harsh in that respect. It's nice to see Gronk come out dominating after the Steelers talking all week about having their gameplan to shut him down.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:23
Meant to do these before the game, but I decided to drink instead.

NFC
1) Seahawks
2) Packers
3) Eagles
4) Falcons
5) Vikings
6) Cowboys

AFC
1) Colts
2) Patriots
3) Broncos
4) Bengals
5) Chiefs
6) Steelers

Wildcard : Eagles over Cowboys, Vikings over Falcons, Broncos over Steelers, Chiefs over Bengals
Division: Seahawks over Vikings, Packers over Eagles, Chiefs over Colts, Pats over Broncos
Champ: Hawks over Packers, Pats over Chiefs
Super: Hawks over Pats

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:24
Yikes, our secondary.  Probably asking too much of Butler, and Bradley Fletcher is Sick (which as a Philly area resident I could have told you way beforehand).  Wasn't enamored of our defensive front either, they weren't holding the edge too well all game.  Steelers could definitely move the ball, they ended up with what, 450 yds?

Well, they have a whole season to improve, but they don't advance too far in the playoffs with the defense as it's currently executing.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:25
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

As I feared...our young, inexperienced defense did not look good as well as new D coordinator.  Hopefully they will gel as the season progresses.  The offense played better than I expected with all the missing personnel being out.  Glad to see Williams do well, was wondering what he had left in the tank.

Yeah, the D was a mess (leaving Gronk wide open was inexplicable), but it's all fixable.  You guys will have a very good year.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:27
Patriots defense (& offense) always gets better through the year as the new players lock into the system. For game 1 with a SB hangover against a good team I was quite impressed. A fit Gronk makes a huge difference.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:44
All I'm hearing is that the pats cheated, again. This could be the start of an interesting trend, after you lose to them just say they cheated.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:25
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Yikes, our secondary.  Probably asking too much of Butler, and Bradley Fletcher is Sick (which as a Philly area resident I could have told you way beforehand).  Wasn't enamored of our defensive front either, they weren't holding the edge too well all game.  Steelers could definitely move the ball, they ended up with what, 450 yds?

Well, they have a whole season to improve, but they don't advance too far in the playoffs with the defense as it's currently executing.

Looked like Butler played very well to me. Brown is just a special kinda of receiver. It's hard for anyone to man up with him. I remember him biting on a double move for the ~20 yard reception down the left sideline and missing a jam on a ~10 yard reception from the slot but other than that he seemed to mostly be in good position. There was the helmet catch in which he had perfect coverage, the rub route where he drove hard but was just a second late to the ball, and the last TD catch he was in great position but the throw/catch were perfect. I assumed he was just a guy who made a great play in a high leverage moment, but he seems very talented to me based on this game.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Patriots defense (& offense) always gets better through the year as the new players lock into the system. For game 1 with a SB hangover against a good team I was quite impressed. A fit Gronk makes a huge difference.

Also heard that balls were deflated and that that Pats have an anomalous fumble rate and that deflated balls lead to fewer fumbles but none of those things were true the second someone properly looked at the data.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:59
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Looked like Butler played very well to me. Brown is just a special kinda of receiver. It's hard for anyone to man up with him. I remember him biting on a double move for the ~20 yard reception down the left sideline and missing a jam on a ~10 yard reception from the slot but other than that he seemed to mostly be in good position. There was the helmet catch in which he had perfect coverage, the rub route where he drove hard but was just a second late to the ball, and the last TD catch he was in great position but the throw/catch were perfect. I assumed he was just a guy who made a great play in a high leverage moment, but he seems very talented to me based on this game.

Yeah, I'm being too hard on the kid.  He did play well.  But the pressure is high, everyone's going to be testing him and throwing in his direction.  I was actually bothered more by the run defense.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 11:24
Yeah the interior DL shouldn't be making the backup C look like a stud. Also, really bad angles band failure to set edge from EDGE players.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 11:36
Ready for Monday night Pat?  :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 13:40
Oh man so pumped, so excited, so nervous, so skeptical of this Eagles team. One of the highest variance teams in the league I think: Unknowns with huge potential and shaky depth at key positions.

I think the Eagles win this semi-easily though. Julio will go off, but not in the style of Dez roasting a helpless Fletcher on every play. I don't have any faith in the Falcons being able to run the ball against our front and I think we'll get enough pressure through their piecemeal OLine to keep them in the 17-24 point range. They don't have the pieces on their defense to deal us. I think we run all over them and Matthews/Sproles abuse their LBs and safeties.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 17:47
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

The Steelers defense has been bereft of talent for years. They were 30th in DVOA last year and needed to bring back 50 year old woman beating James Harrison just to get some semblance of a pass rush.

I don't think the game was really so close. The game flow towards the end made the score that way of course, but maybe I'm being too harsh in that respect. It's nice to see Gronk come out dominating after the Steelers talking all week about having their gameplan to shut him down.

Oh dont get me wrong, its nothing new with Pittsburgh, just damn it was just so painful to see. 
Well, it wasn't close ever, I meant literally imagine if they didn't choke away those 13 points...despite their generally poor play they would've been leading/right there. Yeah, I mean that about him being the offenses JJ Watt, ya can't physically stop him, I believe that. Can only limit the damage, except Gronk is even more dangerous...ya can avoid a defensive lineman but you can't avoid Gronk!

Couldn't catch any the day games, but nothing seems toooo shocking. Maybe some moderate surprises but nothing outrageous. Intrigued for Dallas/NY tonight. There is zero doubt Dallas is the better team, while the Giants are loaded with ?s but that does mean they could go either way. If the o line stays healthy/Pugh and richburg develop could be very good! We have a darn good CB duo, when they are healthy, and yeah, lots of question marks, and while I tend to air on the side of question marks flipping negative, ya never know!

Besides Eli owns Jerrydome and should be happy after this $84 million extension
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 18:27
Seahawks need to tighten up the D, there's a guy over there in a suit called Kam, please sign him.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 21:05
Matthew Stafford and the Lions look like they're already in mid-season form.  Jumping out to a lead early and then shutting down COMPLETELY. Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>