Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBut How Do You Really Feel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 11:12
I guess it's easier for me to enjoy the later Genesis music because the first album I listened to was Abacab. My sister bought it because of the single that was being played, listened to basically that one song and then gave it to me. I was drawn to songs like Dodo/Lurker and Keep It Dark, and the quirkier moments throughout. Eventually I went backwards and fell in love with what is still one of my all-time favorite bands. I enjoy all of the Genesis releases, and it's interesting to me to listen to them in order to experience the transitions in style. I even like the first couple of Collins solo records.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 12:16
A great musician and singer, IMO much better than the awful histrionics of Gabriel. I don't like all the stuff he did but a lot of it is good. He in no way destroyed Genesis and doesn't deserve the derision shown to him in the later years!!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 13:05
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

He was great as a drummer ......

one of my favs--but also a great singer on Trick, W&W, Seconds Out in particular----
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 13:10
I like the Tarzan soundtrack...
FuseProg94 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 13:56
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

I guess it's easier for me to enjoy the later Genesis music because the first album I listened to was Abacab. My sister bought it because of the single that was being played, listened to basically that one song and then gave it to me. I was drawn to songs like Dodo/Lurker and Keep It Dark, and the quirkier moments throughout. Eventually I went backwards and fell in love with what is still one of my all-time favorite bands. I enjoy all of the Genesis releases, and it's interesting to me to listen to them in order to experience the transitions in style. I even like the first couple of Collins solo records.

I grew up on 80s Genesis as well, and my first actual album of theirs was Invisible Touch. I know many prog fans won't give them much credit for this album but it is IMO one of their strongest and most focused releases, with every song being of high quality. Darren Lock actually has a favorable review of it on Youtube. From there I went backwards through the beginning of the trio era, then back to Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound , and I have found much to enjoy from every incarnation of Genesis. Prog is wonderful but not everything has to be complex to be good.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 14:29
Well...I prefer the Gabriel years,  but Collins was always a great drummer and good singer.
He didn't ruin Genesis ;....Gabriel and Hackett left and he did what he did to help the band into a new era so to speak. While I liked the edgier old Genesis better it's clear that many like the newer version. I don't often play anything after Wind but I have no reason to dislike Mr Collins.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 15:11
Sorry, Phil Collins is.....ick!  At least, that's what my ears say about his solo material.  I don't have an ear for drums, so I will take others' word that he is a good drummer.  What I've heard of Phil, with rare exceptions , is pap.
More heavy prog, please!
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 16:21
I wish he would have stuck to drumming/singing (not songwriting) and I wish his solo albums made so little money that he made music that literally sounded the opposite of his 80's/90's output.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2015 at 23:42
I don't really feel much anything.  If there was anything to suggest Collins was SOLELY responsible for throwing Gabriel out of the band, then maybe I could hold that against him.  The band lost a lot once Gabriel left even if four man Genesis produced two good albums.  It is also clear in hindsight that Gabriel and Hackett were thirsting to express themselves and were pursuing a direction quite different from symph-Genesis.  So I am unable really to work up a rage against Collins the 'traitor'.  He was a fantastic drummer and a decent singer.  I don't care for his solo work and I only like a few songs from the s/t album as far as pop Genesis goes.  But that's their decision to make; they can't take care of every fan's individual tastes and preferences.  And clearly they fared pretty well in the prog to pop transition, much better than Yes for instance.  At the most I would opine that perhaps the trio of Banks, Rutherford and Collins underestimated the brilliance of Gabriel and Hackett and thought them more dispensable than they really were.  Without them, the band gradually drifted into music that, at least for my taste, was good but not great and nothing spectacular.  I do not see any great prog delights in store for fans in a hypothetical universe where three man Genesis had stayed prog in the 80s.  It would have been along the lines of Wuthering/And then there were three at best and still ruined by 80s production.  

Edited by rogerthat - June 18 2015 at 23:44
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 00:16
I met him when I was 3 and used to sing "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" around the house. That's about where my relationship with Collins begins and ends. Genesis was never a favorite band of mine, except when I was 3. I do like a couple of Gabriel-era albums, but am rather indifferent to the rest of their repertoire, prog or pop. I guess he's a competent singer. Not a particularly memorable frontman. Good drummer.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 01:14
I'm thinking ..............if once upon a time, everyone loved me, I was a stellar drummer, I performed drums on an insanely brilliant Zeuhl album, and then some other demanding sessions, (I know, anything he touched was not Zeuhl, but just sayin'......) then I embarked on a Pop-music solo career..........
Well, then, they just changed the gender for the Duchess track.....oh, the album IS called DUKE............
I'm not offended by his solo sh*t, but it's another classic case of 'how the mighty have fallen'.
On a side, I dig Kajagoogoo a lot - in Nick Beggs' case, at least it is a rare case of how the mighty has risen and realised his role in 'serious' music. And I prefer White Feathers to any Genesis 80's output (bar Duke).......
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 02:00
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Drummer - great.
Singer - pretty good; not quite Gabriel, but a good impersonation vocally. Not a bad frontman.
Composer - not sure how much writing he did for Genesis, but his solo stuff is pretty mediocre with a few gems.

More or less my thougt, but I disagree about "few gems" as I consider a gem only "In The Air Tonight" and nothing else. 

I would say the gem is a"gainst all odds", it far from prog, but it is a damn good ballad.
Maby im just an old fart, but that song allways gives me chills. Those kinds of songs seems simple, but its not that easy to write them.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 04:32
An excellent musician and an important part of the Genesis sound throughout all the eras he was involved with the band.

His solo music is mostly awful and I have no interest in it. I don't regard it as having been made by the same man. I know he has a love of soul and Motown but if he loved it that much he would have more respect for it, and wouldn't give it the white British middle class treatment. He's reduced it to meaningless insipid, soulless commercial radio bubble gum for middle aged taxi drivers and bored housewives who turned 21 in 1985.

Not my thing to be fair...
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 05:12
Zappa loved Doo-Wop, he dabbled in it, and moved on.   
Phil maybe realised it takes less effort, for more result...........
..........unfortunately........
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 06:02
Was looking for a list of all the drumming Phil have done on other artists album.
But i cant find any. Sad because i think most people tends to forget what he have done of great drumming on different album.
On Fripps Esposure
On Eno's Another Green World
On Gabriel III
On Robert Plants Debut
And a lot of other albums i cant remember right now.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 06:35
^ This is indeed true. I have dozens of albums where Phil has lent his percussive talents to - many are quite obscure and have fallen by the wayside.   
Versatile is the key word here.
I do like to occasionally spin Frida's (yes, she of ABBA fame) vinyl 'Something's Going On'. Phil drummed, Darryl Stuermer played guitars, Peter Robinson played keys, and Mo Foster played bass. All-star Prog line-up, really. The songs were written by many folks associated with the Prog genre.
It's not so much 'Phil material', but the fact of how many folks openly admit "Phil is the best drummer in the world" after only having heard In The Air Tonight and noticing bugger-all else.
I gather that most of us are just disappointed how Phil became a household name for those that never knew just how incredible a drummer he is, let alone what he contributed to.
Same can be said of Peter Cetera. Great bassist in his prime with Chicago (he can play some complex bass) - sellout commercial solo artist later on.........
.....I'd like to make a buck too, with minimal effort................

tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 07:12
Yes, I have just come to the point, where i accept the fact, that "they" are responsible for what they do with their music, and no reason to judge if its ok or not, we can just pick and chose, what we like, and drop the rest of it. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 08:20
What brilliant Zeuhl album was Collins on...?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ This is indeed true. I have dozens of albums where Phil has lent his percussive talents to - many are quite obscure and have fallen by the wayside.   
Versatile is the key word here.
I do like to occasionally spin Frida's (yes, she of ABBA fame) vinyl 'Something's Going On'. Phil drummed, Darryl Stuermer played guitars, Peter Robinson played keys, and Mo Foster played bass. All-star Prog line-up, really. The songs were written by many folks associated with the Prog genre.
It's not so much 'Phil material', but the fact of how many folks openly admit "Phil is the best drummer in the world" after only having heard In The Air Tonight and noticing bugger-all else.
I gather that most of us are just disappointed how Phil became a household name for those that never knew just how incredible a drummer he is, let alone what he contributed to.
Same can be said of Peter Cetera. Great bassist in his prime with Chicago (he can play some complex bass) - sellout commercial solo artist later on.........
.....I'd like to make a buck too, with minimal effort................

He was on a/some Eric Clapton album(s).
KenFrankenstein View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2015 at 10:24
Seriously though. Remember that Peter Banks album. " Two Sides Of Peter Banks " he was on that along with Jan Akkerman, John Wetton and guys from Flash. I;ike the Brand X albums he was on as well. But nooooooo nooooo nooooo he has to get into all that pop  dog crap. Taaaaaake Taaaaake Meeee Home. Sussudio. I would rather listen to a toilet flush over and over again in a cage with a horny wolverine on PCP. Saw him on Letterman once back in the 80s. He was just there for an interview but Dave asked him to play the drums. The drum kit was set up for a right handed drummer and you couldn't tell that he was left handed the way he played. It was impressive. But why does the guy insist on playing all that sissy sewage? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>