Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs RPI sung in English - really RPI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 02:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Anekdoten must be R.P.S. then (Rock Progressiv Svenska) ??   
IMHO, as a sub-genre of Prog, no. There's not in "Rock Progressiv Svenska" some specificum like in Krautrock or RPI.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 02:29
Originally posted by symphonicman symphonicman wrote:

I understand what you mean. I was just thinking. What if there is a band that has the Italian sound and language that is not from Italy. There's Krautrock bands that isn't from Germany. There's Zeuhl bands that isn't from France. There's no Rock Progressivo Italiano bands that isn't from Italy though.
True but Zeuhl and Kraut doesn't have the french or german nationality in the genre description and there's a reason for it: Both are about specific musicgenres to a larger extent. If most RPI-bands had sung in english RPI wouldn't have existed as a sub-genre at PA. The music itself isn't unique-sounding enough for that. We also say Japanese Zeuhl, Polish Jazz and its its mainly about geography.  
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 02:59
^ Except that kraut in this context refers to Germans, not the cabbage, so in a sense it does. The term Krautrock (kraut coming from the derrogatory slang the Allied forces used to refer to German millitary units in WWII, deriving from the popular German dish sauerkraut, of course) was coined by the English to refer to rock from Germany in the late 60's and the 70's. Later the artist connected with the term adopted it as their own, and we have Krautrock bands on this site not from Germany, and non-German speaking countries even, but that doesn't change where and what the expression originally came from.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 04:09
^Of course I know that. Still far from the same.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 06:11
Pah... Johnny-come-latelies. LOL

My first introduction to Italian Progressive Rock was back in 1973/74, the lyrics were sung in English and I 'king loved them all (Felona and Sorona, Photos of Ghosts and The World Became The World). I couldn't give a flying fig whether they were heavily accented or sung in Klingon - the music was outstanding and that is all that mattered to me. Later, hearing the original versions of these albums only made the experience better, I still have great affection for those "UK" versions. 

Nor do I care a great deal what you care to call it now, Rock Progressivo Italiano or Italian Symphonic Rock or just Progressive Rock - the soubriquet does not change the music.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Of course I know that. Still far from the same.
I agree there's a difference between RPI and Krautrock/Zeuhl regarding the nationality of the artists in the genre, and that RPI is closely, although not entirely, connected with the usage of the Italian language, I just don't understand how you can use nationality in genre description as an argument when German is mentioned in the Krautrock genre description, and it's in the the name of the genre. Nit-picking, I know, but still...
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 10:50
By the way, RPI from Japan...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 11:22
^ Or perhaps Germany? Wink
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 11:58
I don't think so. Anyway, they are not italian, they sing in a kind of "Italian grammelot" and their accent reminds me of this guy...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 16:23
I'm certainly no expert on RPI (and it's not one of my favorite styles...which is basically symph or eclectic anyway..) but as several have mentioned or alluded to here , I'm not sure why there even needs to be a genre for that. There is no French, Swedish, etc category for other foreign 'sounding' prog bands.
I'm not even sure why we have a 'Krautrock' sub genre....by that reasoning there should be a 'Britrock' sub genre for quintessentially British sounding prog....etc.
Why aren't the basic genres enough...symph, eclectic, proto, prog related, fusion...etc?

I have heard all the reasons before but if anyone wants to try and convince me of the rationale for these categories ....have at it.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm certainly no expert on RPI (and it's not one of my favorite styles...which is basically symph or eclectic anyway..) but as several have mentioned or alluded to here , I'm not sure why there even needs to be a genre for that. There is no French, Swedish, etc category for other foreign 'sounding' prog bands.
I'm not even sure why we have a 'Krautrock' sub genre....by that reasoning there should be a 'Britrock' sub genre for quintessentially British sounding prog....etc.
Why aren't the basic genres enough...symph, eclectic, proto, prog related, fusion...etc?

I have heard all the reasons before but if anyone wants to try and convince me of the rationale for these categories ....have at it.

If you believe the subgenre is not legit, and nothing anyone will say will change your mind, why do you even bother to ask? We did spend a lot of time and effort in writing down a very comprehensive definition of RPI - drawing down on my first-hand experience as someone who was there (in Italy, I mean) at the time the subgenre developed. I now realize that we probably shouldn't have bothered.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 16:57
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

If you believe the subgenre is not legit, and nothing anyone will say will change your mind, why do you even bother to ask? We did spend a lot of time and effort in writing down a very comprehensive definition of RPI - drawing down on my first-hand experience as someone who was there (in Italy, I mean) at the time the subgenre developed. I now realize that we probably shouldn't have bothered.

As you can see I have been here about 5 years with a number of posts and been listening to prog from the beginning of what was considered prog.......and I never said the 'genre' wasn't 'legit' (your word btw..)...whatever that means, and did say 'have at it'. My question is why is it necessary when there aren't any for the other countries....Krautrock being the exception to the rule apparently.
I have , of course, read the RPI 'explanation' but it seems to be more a rationalization that's about those who like the genre for their own reasons  than why it's necessary since RPI is primarily symphonic  prog .

Haquin
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 16:59
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I hear you, Raff...it gets old.  

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 17:07
I did reread the actual RPI page (been  quite a while since I first read it..) and the multi paragraph explanation of the RPI origins and the reasons for why a sub genre was created. I understand better now why some believe it deserves it's own niche and sub genre. I can't say I agree fully with all of the arguments, but I do understand why it  has been accepted as  a prog area all it's own.

Smile
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 17:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Pah... Johnny-come-latelies. LOL

My first introduction to Italian Progressive Rock was back in 1973/74, the lyrics were sung in English and I 'king loved them all (Felona and Sorona, Photos of Ghosts and The World Became The World). I couldn't give a flying fig whether they were heavily accented or sung in Klingon - the music was outstanding and that is all that mattered to me. Later, hearing the original versions of these albums only made the experience better, I still have great affection for those "UK" versions. 

Nor do I care a great deal what you care to call it now, Rock Progressivo Italiano or Italian Symphonic Rock or just Progressive Rock - the soubriquet does not change the music.
   There are many more things you can say more eloquently than I - this is one of them
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 17:31

As you can see I have been here about 5 years with a number of posts and been listening to prog from the beginning of what was considered prog.......and I never said the 'genre' wasn't 'legit' (your word btw..)...whatever that means, and did say 'have at it'. My question is why is it necessary when there aren't any for the other countries....Krautrock being the exception to the rule apparently.
I have , of course, read the RPI 'explanation' but it seems to be more a rationalization that's about those who like the genre for their own reasons  than why it's necessary since RPI is primarily symphonic  prog .

First of all, thanks for re-reading the definition and finding something to appreciateSmile. Before I bow out of the discussion for good, I'd just like to comment on the bolded part of your quote. That kind of reasoning - i.e. that people want to push their own agenda, regardless of evidence - was behind some of the nastiest confrontations in the Collab Zone, with personal insults flung left, right and centre. Personally, though I am Italian born and bred, I cannot even say I am a fan of RPI as many people are here. However, without the development of a vibrant prog scene in the early Seventies (when I was in my pre-teen years), I would probably not have got into prog as I did.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 19:01

I did reread the actual RPI page (been  quite a while since I first read it..) and the multi paragraph explanation of the RPI origins and the reasons for why a sub genre was created. I understand better now why some believe it deserves it's own niche and sub genre. I can't say I agree fully with all of the arguments, but I do understand why it  has been accepted as  a prog area all it's own.

Smile

Very much my opinion. It's a musical scene, more analogous to Canterbury or Kraut Rock or RIO than, say, Symphonic. There's a lot of nonsense spoken on the musical reasons the genre should be set apart from other albums that kind of falls apart if you start applying it systematically. Similarly with the vox - theatrical vocals can be hyped up but then there were plenty of British bands who'd been doing that and proved very influential in Italy and who got more theatrical after Italian tours... much the same with pastoral harmonised vocals.

I've not yet really found any Italian prog rock in English that compares favourably to the English language German prog, in addition to even admirable translation attempts being turned off course by very musically different languages or often horrendously misplaced emphasis.

Edited by TGM: Orb - August 16 2015 at 19:02
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 20:31
everyone did a great job putting that definition together. It was a real team effort.

However the thing to recognize.. and likely the main selling point to M@X who had to authorize this...

what is the PRIMARY mission of this site.. other than cataloging.. it is to faciliate discovery of all these wonderful bands and albums we have added.   Regardless of whether RPI is or is not 'valid' in people's opinions..  what it did was place groups in a logical section where people who want to discover the vast wealth of the Italian prog scene can find these groups.

As I told M@X..  the person who gets into Italian prog via PFM doesn't give two sh*ts about whether BANCO is symphonic.. Osanna Heavy Prog.. Area is Avant Fusion.. they naturally flow together...

it is like the way groups are classifed in the tradtional sub-genres..  are Yes symphonic.. are Genesis syphonic. .who knows. Those are very often personal opinions on the music.. what they are though.. are naturally grouped togehter.. even though they sound vastly different. They are natural being grouped together.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 06:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

everyone did a great job putting that definition together. It was a real team effort.

However the thing to recognize.. and likely the main selling point to M@X who had to authorize this...

what is the PRIMARY mission of this site.. other than cataloging.. it is to faciliate discovery of all these wonderful bands and albums we have added.   Regardless of whether RPI is or is not 'valid' in people's opinions..  what it did was place groups in a logical section where people who want to discover the vast wealth of the Italian prog scene can find these groups.

As I told M@X..  the person who gets into Italian prog via PFM doesn't give two sh*ts about whether BANCO is symphonic.. Osanna Heavy Prog.. Area is Avant Fusion.. they naturally flow together...

it is like the way groups are classifed in the tradtional sub-genres..  are Yes symphonic.. are Genesis syphonic. .who knows. Those are very often personal opinions on the music.. what they are though.. are naturally grouped togehter.. even though they sound vastly different. They are natural being grouped together.

Clap

Exactly that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 17:52
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Clap

Exactly that.
...unless you actually read what Micky wrote, then exactly not that. Clap
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>