Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you could change one thing about PA .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 19:53
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Well my comment has nothing to do with Steve's question....but anything "....Beatles are the greatest and oh yea they created prog!!" Stirs the solid wastes in my intestines and what is about to exit in my rectum....Not sure my replies would be anymore intelligent than "they SUX!!"

I do remember the heated debates all over the place 4-5yrs ago.....Mostly funny to read and I would participate every once in awhile. Where's Henry Plainview when you need him LOL
The Beatles are indeed a sticky topic, Jose, as I do give them their creative just deserts. I just can't listen to them anymore.LOL

They are no more creative than say Kanye, Lady Gaga or Madonna.....One Direction Dead had better vocals too. Beatles sounded just that, amplified beatle bugs.
to date no band has been more groundbreaking compared to the Beatles Pinch they ended up experimenting and do whatever they wanted creatively because they had the power and will to do this.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 19:57

I snuck this post in as a sleeper cell (Akmed by praised) and I'm surprised by the response.

I would like to see the album ratings to include half stars. For example 3.5 stars instead of rounding off to 4.
That said, I wouldn't change a thing. 
mathematical rule says that anything with a .5 (half) should be rounded up to the next number except here on P.A. obviously this site is too prog for such rules.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 20:20
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'd report to e-Bay advertisements for illegal CD copies. And download an adblocker...they actually do work!!! LOLLOL

Sure, make a joke out of it, dimmy. 
 Fact is that there are illegal copies being sold there and that they are reported to e-Bay. Sometimes with, sometimes without success. Bottom line here is that they appear in ads on every band page on PA. Bands love the site for that, I can tell you.

What Angelo said and pointed out is a fact. This is true, P.A. on the album links for sellers has or had an illegal seller, the give away was that he was selling cd's in a jewel case for a band that only releases in digipack. This is a fact.
Illegal downloads happen we cannot stop this and somehow for the smaller artists they kind of help to spread the word too. When one downloads a bootleg they know they are doing so, they probably won't buy it anyway thus this method of sharing somehow is ok however promoting the sales of cd's which are fake this has more serious consequences, i.e. the band cannot guarantee the quality and the buyer is being fooled that it is an original copy, this is wrong.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 21:36

^ Who is ELP....new techno band??
A glitch duo that stabs knives into their turntables.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Well my comment has nothing to do with Steve's question....but anything "....Beatles are the greatest and oh yea they created prog!!" Stirs the solid wastes in my intestines and what is about to exit in my rectum....Not sure my replies would be anymore intelligent than "they SUX!!"

I do remember the heated debates all over the place 4-5yrs ago.....Mostly funny to read and I would participate every once in awhile. Where's Henry Plainview when you need him LOL

The Beatles are indeed a sticky topic, Jose, as I do give them their creative just deserts. I just can't listen to them anymore.LOL

They are no more creative than say Kanye, Lady Gaga or Madonna.....One Direction Dead had better vocals too. Beatles sounded just that, amplified beatle bugs.

to date no band has been more groundbreaking compared to the Beatles Pinch they ended up experimenting and do whatever they wanted creatively because they had the power and will to do this.
That's it. They experimented, tried new things, broke the barriers etc. Whilst being a Pop-band. Hence the 'Proto' tag. Really, they can be anything you want them to be. I don't agree with them being a 'Progressive' band, however, I can't, for the life of me, disagree .
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:23

Nice save there, Sonia!

Yep, The Beatles offered ambitious pop music the likes of which the world had never heard before (and pretty amazing to think they were only around for about seven years or so), but nothing close to prog. It kind of bums me out when I see Beatles reviews pop up on the front page!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nice save there, Sonia!

Yep, The Beatles offered ambitious pop music the likes of which the world had never heard before (and pretty amazing to think they were only around for about seven years or so), but nothing close to prog. It kind of bums me out when I see Beatles reviews pop up on the front page!
Wow Aussie-Byrd-Brother! Hello you, I missed you! HugHeart
Before prog came along there were the Beatles. The Beatles had more odd time than some bands that call themselves prog rock had. Listen to the beginning of Taxman sometime. Have you ever heard a song count in at a different tempo than the song actually starts in? If Happiness Is A Warm Gun isn't a precursor to more progressive rock (I knicked this comment btw), I don't know what is! Same goes for I Am The Walrus.Big smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:32
Here comes the sun, this I dedicate to Moogtron III ApproveHug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6j4TGqVl5g
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:38
Oh, I'm always bumbling around the Archives somewhere, Sonia! Some weeks I'll be very quiet, the next you can't shut me up!

I have no doubt that Beatles were ground-breaking (and I do love the `Magical Mystery Tour' album especially! ), but I wonder how many prog artists consider the Beatles a big influence on their `proggier' side?

Actually, better we get told off for getting a little too off topic , would you have heard this Transatlantic epic live where they incorporate part of the second side of the Beatles `Abbey Road' suite into the track?!

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2015 at 22:43
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh, I'm always bumbling around the Archives somewhere, Sonia! Some weeks I'll be very quiet, the next you can't shut me up!

I have no doubt that Beatles were ground-breaking (and I do love the `Magical Mystery Tour' album especially! ), but I wonder how many prog artists consider the Beatles a big influence on their `proggier' side?

Actually, better we get told off for getting a little too off topic , would you have heard this Transatlantic epic live where they incorporate part of the second side of the Beatles `Abbey Road' suite into the track?!

Whoooohaaaa I love Transatlantic! Great post! Clap
Just quickly back to peeps who quoted the Beatles having influenced them i.e. According to Chris Squire of Yes, McCartney's melodic bass style was a driving force in his development as a bass player. Jon Anderson also cites The Beatles as a big influence. Big smileHug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 00:09
Peter Cetera (Chicago) admired Macca and even Brian Wilson. In an interview, he spoke of Wilson " He just goes places no other bassist went ". And Pete is an awesome bassist.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 09:59

If they really had the will to do this, they would have lasted much longer than 7yrs or so. They were too full of themselves to see the band that they were. Having time signature changes makes them not a prog band, nor even prog attribute.....Many non rock genres have time signature changes, let alone classical music is full of them.
I give them they were really good song writers and that is what people latched onto...they were an insanely popular pop/boy band and inclusion in PA is off base. We argue about bands that should be here that are prog and yet this full on pop band is in due to popularity.

Makes no sense..plus they sux....IMHO LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 21:15

Have you ever heard a song count in at a different tempo than the song actually starts in?

You mean other than Taxman?  Sure! Wink

Begins in odd time and settles seamlessly into a syncopated 3/4.   Years and years after Taxman, yes, but this song, like maybe a 1000 other that he composed, was a hit and yes he was our Beatles.  Not prog but way more progressive than a large majority of artists listed on the PA database.  Prog =/= Progressive.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2015 at 21:28
I would NEVER abolish ratings.  I personally hate ratings and don't think the worth of an album can be quantified in a number.  But...but....doing away with ratings would be to yank PA too far away from the mainstream.  When I say mainstream, I don't mean Taylor Swift, to be clear.  I mean that there's literally no widely used interactive music website that does something like that.  RYM, Metal Archives, you name it.  IIRC All About Jazz does not rate albums but they also have a team of reviewers and not just anybody can go rate/review albums as they can on PA.  Ideally, I would like to see the metal-archives system on PA where a team of moderators vet and accept reviews.  It is undemocratic and can sometimes lead to furious debates, accusations and what not but it does help ensure a bare minimum quality in the reviews published on the website.  Unfortunately I don't think we have the 'resources' to be able to man such an activity so the current system is probably the best we can have.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 01:46
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Peter Cetera (Chicago) admired Macca and even Brian Wilson. In an interview, he spoke of Wilson " He just goes places no other bassist went ". And Pete is an awesome bassist.
I know the latest conversation is about The Beatles, but to elaborate my Beatles/Cetera relation - Pete admired McCartney, a lot. Already by the very first Chicago (Transit Authority) album, he displayed a great degree of stamina and ability on the bass, which, gradually became quite technical by Chicago V, and reached its pinnacle on VII. There's a Beatles influence that was taken further. Perhaps without Macca's influence, Pete may have been an average guitarist ??
The importance of what The Beatles brought to the world of music is undeniable. They may not have been technical virtuosi, but their creativity and intelligence to think 'outside the box' planted seeds for the future generation, and still does.
I say this, and I only have a few Beatles vinyls.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 06 2015 at 01:48
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 11:55
I have two Beatles albums, the blue dbl vinyl hits album and Sgt Pepper. My wife bought them cause she thought they would be worth millions one day.....I told her "silly goose, only things people want are worth millions honey...it's OK I still love you even though you blew $20.00.." LOL
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:31
If I could change one thing....hmmm, get rid of the photo of Arjen Lucassen on the main page Big smile.  Nothing against him, just tired of looking at it....

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 13:56

I snuck this post in as a sleeper cell (Akmed by praised) and I'm surprised by the response.

I would like to see the album ratings to include half stars. For example 3.5 stars instead of rounding off to 4.
That said, I wouldn't change a thing. 
mathematical rule says that anything with a .5 (half) should be rounded up to the next number except here on P.A. obviously this site is too prog for such rules.

That would change the rating system anyway - 5 stars is not 5 times as good a 1 star. The stars have a definition that is counter intuitive (so it has been flawed from the beginning), it is not a numerical system.

< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="5"> Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="4"> Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="3"> Good, but non-essential
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="2"> Collectors/fans only
< ="" name="irate" id="irate" value="1"> Poor. Only for completionists
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:09
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

If I could change one thing....hmmm, get rid of the photo of Arjen Lucassen on the main page Big smile.  Nothing against him, just tired of looking at it....

LOL
Can't say I disagree with that.

I would open up band inclusion on the site to a vote by all registered menbers.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I would open up band inclusion on the site to a vote by all registered menbers.

Absolutely. I would also strictly enforce a "majority vote" so that to be included a band would need 26,893 yes votes [based upon current tally of 53,785 registered members], of course that would significantly boost the sales/downloads/streams of every band suggested.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>