Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you could change one thing about PA .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you could change one thing about PA .
    Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:39
If you could change one thing about PA for the better, what would it be?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:51
Other than mis-posted threads?   Tongue Kidding (though it may be moved to Site Discussions).

Hmm, good question, I guess I miss the crazy community energy we had back five years ago or so.   But as for something tangible, maybe the artist pages; the format could be a bit more helpful, something like what Wiki has with the pertinent info upfront instead of just name, country, photo, members and bio, the rest buried in a biography.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:05
David touched on it... I'll stomp on it.

I miss the passion this place used to have.... if I could change one thing...  I'd change that. People cared.. cared enough to succumb to their more base internet instincts haha While the forum is a much polite and friendly place.. well... that is BORING!!!!  There was a certain air of danger in the past about promoting this.. or pissing on that ..and that was that someone was going to try to shoot you down or put a knife in your back.  good times man.. you learned to be quicker and nasterier or you left or became a wallflower.

I know which is better.. the forum is a better place... but that is not the same as being a vibrant exciting place either.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:11
^ Post an irreverent thread with outrageous claims or blasphemous questions--  pretty sure we'd get a lively conversation.   But people are more timid these days.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:18
bah.. .I tried to stir the pot in the SWilson thread and what did I get.. some feeble attempts at whining about me hating on the artist. boo hoo. LOL

Bah...  I could care less about the artist.. it was the fans I was after.. not for their tastes.. who cares what they like... but to stimulate a reaction.  I couldn't get that David.. at least back in the day you count on the DT kiddies to try to gun me down with squirt guns.. when I came after their favorite group.. they even tried to get me banned.  Well done.. now that was lively forum LOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:26
Bah, forget Wilson, and the DT kiddies, they're older now anyway and have probably moved on somewhat, but that could make a good thread: 'What Happened to All the DT Kiddies and What Are They Listening to Now?'.  

Of course all you got for Wilson was whining, frankly he's not a very interesting figure.   Go for the jugular; question established views like the importance of the Beatles or that the U.S. was the actual birthplace of prog or why Phil Collins is not a jerk but a genius or something like that.  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:33
yeah... good point...  I know we exterminated a bunch of the DT fans.. but we couldn't get all of them. They multipied faster than the symphonic horsemen could ride them down...

thought I did the point that SWilson will be just like DT was all those years ago... infesting the site... (remember the 'favorite Petrucci breakfast cereal' thread) now they are  gone...  result of zero meaningful lasting contribution to the site or to music by the group and when SWilsons creative force is spent (which of course it has long been LOL) fans would simply migrate to the latest flavor of the month.

A progressive 'pop' star is what I called him... no better description have I seen. Rabid fans.. little substance... easily disposed of when his time is up.

Edited by micky - July 02 2015 at 17:39
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:52
Well my comment has nothing to do with Steve's question....but anything "....Beatles are the greatest and oh yea they created prog!!" Stirs the solid wastes in my intestines and what is about to exit in my rectum....Not sure my replies would be anymore intelligent than "they SUX!!"

I do remember the heated debates all over the place 4-5yrs ago.....Mostly funny to read and I would participate every once in awhile. Where's Henry Plainview when you need him LOL
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:55
I notice you did not post on the wilson thread after your first couple of posts, thinking your opinion is not as important as you think it is. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:03
Smile  why...it was a corpse of a thread and even I couldn't inject life into it, try as I might with a bit baiting. You all gave nothing to work with in response other than whining about the 'hate'. Boo hoo.

You do need to work on the reading comprehension there Timothy...  I don't care a fig about SWilson or if you all like him.  More power to him for hoodwinking supposedly intelligent listeners and more power to anyone for enjoying whatever they enjoy. 

I care about having some fun and bringing some life into the forum. I had hoped to get some good responses. Something to work with.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:13
^ See I have tried to do that on those Beatles threads....but all I get is "they are God and that's it, you are dumb....." Boring

My attitude yea has calmed....I remember back in 2007 when the MS Zune started and MS created the "Social". Forum site about all things Zune and music.....GOD there were some amazingly heated discussions, we always had "Zune cops" roaming the forum hallways telling us to "stop it now!!" I have to say those were the best, anything here was grade school compared to the Zune Social Forums. LOL

I am not advocating this but I can see where Micky is coming from....

To answer Steve's question......Essentially we need something to strike some life into this site, not sure what yet, but the Admins/Creators/Collabs should hunker down and come up with some ideas...I mean you guys get paid a ton of money to have these titles, you should do some work for the pay!!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:16
You were run off the page, when you took your little vacation from PA it functioned just fine and what you bring to the forum is not fun it is childish tripe.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:22
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

You were run off the page, when you took your little vacation from PA it functioned just fine and what you bring to the forum is not fun it is childish tripe.

run off?  HAH!!

trust me.. I could trape right back in there and take a giant sh*t on every one of the responses.. but that wasn't the intent in the first place .which you are still completely ingnorant of. The intent never was to sh*t on the artist or its fans for the sake of moving the bowels.. and get into a giant pissing match. It was to tweak some noses good naturedly and get some passion man.. passion I have for the music I love.. passion I would hope others have for the music they love...to engage in some interesting back and forth.

the passion this site so sorely misses today that it had in spade back in the day.  That .. that is where the fun begins.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:25
Our saviour

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:27
that is why I wear the white hat here...  LOLWink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:00
The grass is always greener even when you know it's not.   The sad truth is that it's one or the other; fun with frequent outrage and exodus, or peace & quiet with frequent boredom.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The grass is always greener even when you know it's not.   The sad truth is that it's one or the other; fun with frequent outrage and exodus, or peace & quiet with frequent boredom.

and I've been sort of torn since I came back as to which is better..

a quick death by getting hit by 20HD fireball by some forum smartass or a slow one bysuffocation for lack of oxygen to the brain...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:37
LOL

Yeah

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:02
Beer

of course I saw red when I saw your post David and ran with that.

that is the way the things are..for better AND for worse... likely in 5 to 10 years it will be the wild west again .. not a peaceful moment.. not a dull one either.

However if I could change ONE thing.. one tangible thing?  hmmm... oh yeah... I'd get rid of ratings with reviews.

will it change anything? nope your brain cells with still be slowly dying off
will it improve anything?  nope..  it isn't going to bring back teh old symphonic team and legions of DT fans doing battle across the forums in a duel for forum supremacy

what would it do...  settle a score. as I have wanted that done for years...  it will get  reviewers off their asses to write album reviews.. not rating justifications...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 20:19
Ah yes, Ratings Abolition.  I've favored that for years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>