Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLe Orme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:31
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Big Kid Josie Big Kid Josie wrote:

I'll be honest, I haven't heard much 70's italian prog, except a little PFM.  I gather it's pretty good, based on everybody's comments I see here.  Is the singing in English or Italian?  It would hamper my ability to enjoy it some if it was sung and lyrics in Italian, as I don't speak or read it.

But I could enjoy the vocals just as sounds along with the music---I've had to do that with Yes songs before!LOL
In a lot of cases, Italian is sung.Though I don't know Italian, I can appreciate hearing it sung by these Italian bands. It is a very romantic sounding language when sung!

I can second that. Though I understand only a few words now and then, Italian sounds most beautiful to me when sung. After all it is a question of personal taste, but it can also be fascinating if you don't understand the lyrics and listen to the voice as if it was one of the instruments.

Acqua Fragile is an Italian prog band who used to have English vocals, also the wonderful album Papillon by Latte e miele was released in an English version.

I feel the same way. For me Italian is the most beautiful language in the world. Even "E Pericolose Sporgersi" in a train sounds great (forbidden to hang out, often seen in trains) Probably simply because the words often end with a vowel, which gives the words an open, poetic feel.

I don't mind prog bands singing in English, like Acqua Fragile, but if there is an Italian version, I always prefer that one over the English language version.

Edited by Moogtron III - July 08 2015 at 15:31
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 15:49
I have about 10 goblin albums spanning between 1975 and 83. All I need is sentamente nero and the chi single. Anyone know if the song yell is on any album or is it just a single also?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2015 at 19:46
Le Orme's music a lot of times lacks the aggressiveness of many Brittish prog rock bands. But, when it comes to complexity, the aggressive approach usually tends to be more straight forward than f.e. Le Orme's more melodic and symphonic approach, which was beautifully enhanced with the introduction of classical elements (mostly from romantic and classical eras) into their music - Collage and Florian are beautiful examples of that, just to name a few.

The vocals being in a specific language should not be an issue for a prog fan, unless he really cares about the 'story' being told regarding the conceptual approach, which usually is not my way of appreciating music. But when it comes to Le Orme sometimes it is worth my effort to understand the lyrics - Veritá Nascoste (self titled track) and Il Quadro (off Storia o leggenda) are strong examples of that.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:50
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Started looking at some Italian bands. I Have good Goblin and Banco collections and finding Le Orme to be the next best thing so far from Italy. Received Smogmagica and ordered Uomo and Contra. Some of the best italian prog I've heard. Strong compositions without trying to be too busy and not changing composition every 30 seconds like some italian prog bands. Really don't like bands such as Area. Anyway who likes Le Orme?

I have most of their albums only on vinyl - "Contrapunti" and "Felona e Sorona" -favorites-
Italian Prog at its best next to PFM

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 16:07
Hi,

The day I have to decide which album I like best by this band, is also the day that I will never again be able to post here or anywhere else! I guess that would be heaven for some folks! Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 07:43
Le Orme is my favourite Italian band. "Contrapppunti" is probably the album I prefer. It's easy to talk about the influence of Emerson Lake and Palmer on their music, but Le Orme were also quite brave in their music, pushing it to results other bands in Italy wouldn't even imagine. Take for instance "Aliante" from Contrappunti: it would easily find its place in some electronic/krautrock masterpiece such as "Music from Harmonia" or "Zückerzeit". By the second half of the seventies they had also understood that the time was right for a change - "Regina al Troubadour", "Il Gradino pių Stretto del Cielo", "Tenerci per Mano", "Se Io Lavoro" are all new-wave jems, delivered with the band's usual taste for melody. Their lyrics are also excellent - many people in Italy wouldn't say so, because back in the 1970s most of the public expected rock bands to be radically left-wing inspired, while Le Orme had a more intimate approach and didn't hide their catholic beliefs. But, I repeat, their lyrics are among the best you can find in Italian Progressive Rock: they have poetry, they're never pretentious, they retain a depth you hardly find anywhere else. Don't ignore their jewel "Florian", where they got rid of electric/electronic stuff and created music with acoustic instruments exclusively (violin, cello, harpsichord, piano, bouzuky, mandolin, acoustic guitar, several kinds of percussion). The result is really charming.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 17:57
Picked up contra. Some great tracks. La fabbri is awesome. Waiting for the previous 2 albums to arrive now.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 17:43
Le Orme, one of my Italian favourites. Collage, Contrappunti, Felona E Sorona and Oumo Di Pezza are my favourites.
And also their Live in Pennsylvania which contains a whole live version of Felona.
Fantastic band!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2015 at 22:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The day I have to decide which album I like best by this band, is also the day that I will never again be able to post here or anywhere else! I guess that would be heaven for some folks! Wink

bah...  you are one of the handful of forumites that actually seem to have a pulse... passion for the art for the music... some sense of character. The life blood of any kind of forum man.

so just pick an album damnit...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 03:47
14 yerars ago my long distant friend send me 2 c-cassettes of classic Italian prog, very different styles: Museo Rosenbachīs "Zarathustra", PFMīs "Photos of Ghosts", Garybaldiīs "Nuda" and J.E.T.īs  "Fede, speranza, carita". I was instantly blown away into new universes and haveīt looked back since. Although I had had heard most of the very finest classic Prog Rock albums, say "Close to the Edge" or Court by King Crimson I was totally shocked after "Zarathustra". Heh, it really was Zarathustraīs revenge for me because I had overlooked the classic Italian prog for nearly thirty years. 

I instantly came familiar with the Italian way. Italians seem to have a certain sense for melody and passion for that melody and the combination of emotion and power is unique, even in Prog. And at the same time thereīs always gentleness and softness that completes the emotions. Itīs with areaīs music as well although Demetrio Stratosī thinking of musical expression is the opposite to Ormeīs. I love both because they are simply absolutely fantastic. Itīs the ultimate beauty of the Italian language added with technical virtuosity makes perfection as it is the most cases in classic Italian Prog. After hearing Francesco di Giacomo or Lino Vairetti I donīt miss English language in prog rock. Of course, English is the other perfect language for symphonic rock as well. Italians understand that the essence of music is emotion and melody, as it simply is. After that comes technical virtuosity that completes everything. They are masters of musical expression. No wonder, their heritage in music and in arts in general is the oldest in Europe. Black man created rock in America, white man in England and Italy made it perfect.

Le Orme centers on Aldo Tagliapietraīs soft voice and acoustic guitar & bass sound. There is no Orme without him, like there is no Yes without Jon Anderson. Added with Tony Pagliucaīs heavy Hammond & analog keyboards, Moog etc. and powerful drumming from Michi dei Rossi it is the perfect Prog trio. For me thereīs an unique tenderness & beauty in their sound. Unlike ELP they never are self-indulgent and overblown but always with sense of Harmony.

"Collage", "Uomo di pezza", "Felona e sorona" and "Contrappunti" are the early masterpieces. "Smogmagica" is the weakest which is same because at that point they added a fine solo guitarist Tolo Marton who completes their fantastic performance at PROG EXHIBITION in 2010. "Veritā nascoste" and "Storia o leggenda" are fantastic "pop" albums but "Florian" 1979 is a bit disappointing because they are not masters on violins so they should have hired professionals. The 1974 and 1976 live album both suffer from weak sound quality, unfortunately. "Piccola rapsodia dellīeape" 1980 is not my cup of tea either. And I donīt like their 80īs work, it way too light, even in Italian (soft) prog (grin). "Il fiume" from 1996 is another fine superbly harmonic album. "Elementi" 2001 and "Līínfinito" 2004 are excellent with dual keyboards by Michele Bon and Andrea Passato. This line-up plays "Live in Pennsylvania" 2004 which is a super performance of classic Orme, also available on DVD.

Le Orme is master of Beauty and Harmony.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - July 22 2015 at 04:41
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 06:21
The only 2 I have are Felona E Sorona and Oumo Di Pezza......I suppose Felona of the 2 but I have never been a huge fan of either RPI or French prog though I own albums from  the best of both genres.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Selwyn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 08:01
Two collectable lps would be:

FELONA & SORONA   English version with lyrical translation by Peter Hammill. Quite difficult to find a copy.

BEYOND LENG   I had this compilation of early Le Orme and got rid (cos the coverart was rather plain) . Now I regret it.
One of the better quality releases by Cosmos /Peters International  label. Cosmos was out , like Chicago's Billingsgate label, to introduce Euro rock to Americans. They also released 3 early Osanna titles and the English RDM "Contaminated".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 02:43
A band I need to pay more attention to. I bought a bunch of their albums (mostly early ones) and I like them but probably not as much as early PFM if I'm honest. More keyboard driven which is nice though as I like my keyboardy stuff.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 04:53
Just received Felona English and Italian versions. Sounds great. I have Canto, Uomo and Smog too.
At this point I find Uomo less enjoyayble than the other 3. Probably too many ballad moments on that album for me. But all fine albums. Top band. 

Edited by dr prog - August 05 2015 at 04:54
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 16:33

Hai detto : Fool on the hill ?

Le Orme : Buona notte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_74t2_XgI

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 16:46
^ Everytime I listen to "Buonanotte" it reminds me of some tune, I can't tell which one. You're right, there are hints of "Fool on the Hill", but also something else.

Edited by NotAProghead - August 05 2015 at 16:47
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 16:56
Le Orme means Footsteps, if I'm right. Then this music invites us to follow something, somewhere ...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 17:28
Any other italian bands up there with goblin, banco and Le orme?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 01:58
just started my listening joy with a box set tell you all later what I think...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 07:33
I have Verita also. It's pretty good although the drums are a bit up front and get in the way of the music a bit. I picked up pfm's 3 albums between 72 and 75 both English and Italian versions. I love The world/'L'Isola. 1974 is their peak. Amico is pretty good although lacks the hard edge. They should have stuck with the same vocals for Chocolate Kings. The songs and vocals don't match the quality of The world imo 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>