FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeal Morse - An Agnostic's View

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neal Morse - An Agnostic's View
    Posted: July 10 2015 at 21:10
I like Neal Morse. I think he writes good music. I have noticed a few reviews which have been critical of his work due to his preaching. As an agnostic, you'd think that would bother me but it doesn't. I actually admire him for having the courage to put it out there even though I may not share his views. I don't think that should detract from his music. It's just his opinion. I can understand not liking his music but I can't understand not liking it because of the lyrics. My main focus in prog is the compostion and instrumentation. Let the dialog begin .......
Lost in trance of dances, as rhythm takes another turn
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 21:56
I don't know so much from Neal Morse besides Transatlantic, and I haven't really payed so much attention to the lyrics to identify something particularly preachy that would bother me, but even if he got all religious on his messages, I don't really care, as long as the music is good. What does bother me is artists that include satanic lyrics... it may seem exagerated, but I do try to avoid those ones.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 21:58
He seems to make good music--good composer--I just find myself listening and then feeling . . . nothing. I re-try listening to his albums cuz I feel I should, but I never feel compelled to add them to my playlists or rave about them to others. It's like hearing music that has already been done.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2015 at 22:08
I've always found the accusations of Morse `preaching' on his albums completely innacurate. There's a massive difference between singing about something that means a lot to you or something you believe in (which is what Morse does) as opposed to `You MUST believe this, you MUST do that', which would be forcing his view, and he has never done that. Some non-believers really let this confusion get under their skin!

As it is, although he can sometimes be a little schaltzy or cheesy, the guy is simply one of the best songwriters in modern prog from a melodic point of view. Memorable melodies, slick harmonies, singalong qualities - there's plenty of bands that could talk a page out of his book (in this case that would probably be the bible! ) and focus on those qualities more than instrumental show-boating.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 10 2015 at 22:09
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 00:49
The fact is that many people are just so ill-disposed toward religion in general (or Christianity in particular) that they'll have reflexively hostile reactions to anything that reeks of faith, whether it's truly preachy or not. And that's fair enough; people are entitled to their opinions, and whatnot. But they still sometimes call such music "preachy," because that's an acceptable way of saying, "It has to do with religion and I don't like it."

For the record, I don't mind the religiosity in Morse's lyrics, since I share many of his beliefs. I do think his lyrics are pretty spotty in terms of quality, but that's another matter.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 01:54
I have written it some months ago. Since he is sincere, I am absolutely not disturbed by his lyrics even if I'm an atheist. 

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 04:58
We can deny his songwriter skill and his passion for true symphonic prog rock, as for his religious lyrics, they have a impact on his music, because to me the lyrics are part of the whole music and the meaning of those lyrics have also a impact on my appreciation of his music. As time goes by, i have realize that there is something missing in his music that i can't put my fingers on, probably a sense of "deja-vu" and that i lose patience listening to 20 minutes epic, while i am still seduce by this kind of music. Fortunately, i listen to other genre of Prog Rock music and will still keep a eye on Morse's work, but not with the same enthusiasm i had with his first albums. 
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 05:32
Being a Christian myself, obviously I have no problems with his lyrics.
Nor with his music BTW.
To be honest: I avoid most music with Christian lyrics because the music doesn't appeal to me at all.
Neal Morse's music is a positive exception.

Edited by Moogtron III - July 11 2015 at 05:33
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 06:11
What Moogtron III said.

Though I also have some sympathy with those who've said that his music can get a bit repetitive. I think his best work was the One, ? and Sola albums. Much of what came after that hasn't really hit the heights of those three albums for me (though still pretty good).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:03
I don't believe in Neal Morse. He is a remnant of ancient tribal cult worship.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:31
I'm not really bothered by Morse's lyrics. He has a great voice, composes excellent material, is a great showman, is quite accomplished on every instrument he touches - what's not to like ?   He plays tritones - why isn't he banished ??
I don't understand how some folks are so irritated by religious themed lyrics - they are but one person's view/perception. Good luck to those who've discovered a higher 'self' by divine profoundness.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 08:44
For the most part, I'm not put off by Morse's preachiness in his lyric.  What gets me is that this artist too frequently resorts to the standard evangelist words, phrases, and verbal imagery instead of coming up with something refreshing, or, dare I say, inspirational.

His music can be brilliant at times.  His words don't elevate to the same level.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 09:34
I think Neal Morse is a very prolific composer, but must of his music follows the same formula. Even though is quite intricate and very well orchestrated, you can almost predict the changes he is going to make, the direction the music will take, and all the endings of his long pieces have pretty much the same, making it quite repetitive and after a while, not very much entertaining. I don't want to criticize him, I think he is a great man and a very talented musician, and I don't mind his Christian views and opinions (I have my own and I know it takes some courage to come out and express them the way he does), but at the same time, his music has become quite stagnant and not quite innovative.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:02
Sorry, but Morse is like a broken record to me. Too repetitive in his lyrical themes.

I have nothing against a pro God/religious/worship or whatever song, but not all the time.

Benedictus by the Strawbs would be my favorite of this type of material, but Dave Cousins quickly moved on after this opening track from the album Grave New World.
san0648 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:22

I love Morse. I'm an atheist.

It's not the religious/preachy stuff that bothers me, but the fact that his lyrics are pretty much only christian, makes me want time away. It's not the subject matter, its just the lack of other subjects.

It bothers me a little when artists pretty much sing about only one or two types of subjects in their songs.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 10:49
I don't mind the Christian lyrics.  I do mind that Neal's lyrics are cliché.  I can tune out the lyrics if the music mesmerized me.   
The deal breaker for me is-  Each time I audition one of Neal's albums, I get excited about the music only to find myself bored after 5-10 minutes.   Like an earlier poster said, " I can't put my finger on what's wrong with the music."  So I put Spock's Bread V on and enjoy.  
Another thing-  I wish Neal didn't sing lead on so many Transatlantic songs.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:56
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I don't mind the Christian lyrics.  I do mind that Neal's lyrics are cliché.  I can tune out the lyrics if the music mesmerized me.   
The deal breaker for me is-  Each time I audition one of Neal's albums, I get excited about the music only to find myself bored after 5-10 minutes.   Like an earlier poster said, " I can't put my finger on what's wrong with the music."  So I put Spock's Bread V on and enjoy.  

This...^
I can't say I care much for his post Spocks' Beard music....and V is my go to for them.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lowend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

This...^
I can't say I care much for his post Spocks' Beard music....and V is my go to for them.

V is one of my favorite releases too. I do like Spock's Beard with and without Neal. Just as I like Neal with or withpout Spock's Beard. Different perspectives on this are very interesting.I don't see the cliche you talk about and I don't feel the "what's wrong with the music". I do appreciate the feedback, though. If we all agreed on everything we'd have nothing to discuss. This is what makes music so interesting.
Lost in trance of dances, as rhythm takes another turn
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 18:48
I just acquired a copy of Testimony Two and have found myself enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.  I have no problem with him singing about his faith.  I mean, if Steve Hillage can chant Om Nama Shivaya why can't Neal sing about finding Jesus?  As a scholar in religions, I have developed a very open mind about such things.  Many years ago I had a distinctly negative opinion on Christianity but that has mellowed over time.  The difference for me is that I learned there is more to it than the hypocrisies I saw and still see among some of its adherents.  Some, not all.  In the case of Neal Morse, it is about the music more than anything else for me, and I have not tired of him yet despite the predictabilities and limitations many have mentioned.  And it is good to hear someone truly inspired in a positive sense, which I believe him to be.  I have grown tired of cynicism.  As an artist, he writes about what is important to him and he is very clear about what that is.  Nobody is making anyone listen to it if they don't want, and there are plenty of other options available.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 01:47
I am a non-believer and I enjoy NM, I don't get put off by the lyrics mainly because I am not a big "lyrics person" anyway. Even on a lot of my favourite albums that I have listen to for years I wouldn't be able to really tell you what the lyrics are about. For me its the music and the vocals are just like an instrument for me. So I have no problem with Mr Morse and his preaching's although they do not reflect my world view the least. Another Christian artist I enjoy a lot is Wovenhand. Just love the music and the way David Eugene Edwards sings.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>