Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
raphaelfmf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neal Morse - An Agnostic's View
    Posted: September 18 2017 at 12:39
Wow... Been a reader of this forum for years and never really posted, but this is topic is just fabulous. Man! Wish I was not 2 years late for the debate, this is an awesome topic.

First of all I totally understand the hate towards Neal's lyrics. Christian topics are just not that welcome anymore.

Second, though I whole heatedly disagree with Ivan's apologetic view of the RCC – and sometimes I even think he slightly crosses the line he himself drew between critic and bashing –, I totally understand and agree with his attitude towards Sola Scriptura's (the album, not the doctrine) theme and RCC bashing. And I say that because I utterly believe that Neal didn't mean it to be a critique on old day's catholic church, but maybe a disguised critique to the modern one also. One of the reasons being that he stated that he does not believe the trinity (namely he believes that Jesus is not God, what is probably one of the worst things you could say to any Christian) mainly because it was a catholic doctrine. He is a great musician, and I really enjoy his music overall, but for all I've seen from his theological arguments he is a very bad theologian. I'll keep at that about Morse personally because after all he's probably not around to defend himself.

I have honestly never paid attention to that detail before (the hate speech of that particular album) and this topic made me reconsider a bit my view towards Neal's work. I mean, he's free to preach whatever he wants, but that doesn't make it less unethical.
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 04:40
I discovered Transatlantic at the start of this year and really dig them, I think Neal's religion would have put me off in a big way when I was a bit younger but it doesn't really bother me at all now, he really believes what he is saying and that is fine with me.

I also really like Similitude Of A Dream
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 15:32
JS Bach: An Agnostics View
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:55
I love Slayer and Venom. As a Christian the lyrics should (but do not) bother me.

Therefore why should Neal's honestly held beliefs bother an atheist (or agnostic.)

They should not.

They're just lyrics. 
LMTR14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 05:29

Christian lyrics are basically the last thing I want to hear on my prog or metal (hell I'd prefer even pro-Muslim lyrics cause that at least would be something novel and could only be seen as ironic). however I do love Whirlwind, and I bought Similitude. the latter isn't the masterpiece it was announces as by a long shot, but while that has to do with the uninspired lyrics (it's mostly the same story as Whirlwind over again!), it is more held back by the lack of the forward momentum Whirlwind had. it's more of a trickling affair. it got some nice moments, but it's just a 3/5 in my view. at least buying it proved to me that Portnoy is off his rocker, comparing this to Scenes from a memory. he didn't look for a permanent prog metal band after being fired from DT (which without him is plain pointless garbage. he was the face of the band, I didn't even like petrucci, labrie etc before they fired him!), and as far as I'm concerned, he's damaged goods now. might go to see them live if the chance arrives, but seeing them once is enough.

Edited by LMTR14 - March 08 2017 at 05:30
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you will be then haahha.  They are calling for 75 here.  So what is next.. snow and ice on Labor Day here.

D.C weather.. love it

Well then enjoy it.  Put on shorts and flip flops and head outside and get some sunshine!  I try and tell people what that is like to do that on Christmas but you have a real chance to do that now!  Wink

this isn't funny anymore.. it is now officially winter.  I want my cold ...and ice and snow. I need my snow days off of work!!! LOL

You can have that expedience Brian haha. Summer's here are long enough and damn sure hot enough.. winter is but a short glorious break from the D.C oven that is summer...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 00:10

you will be then haahha.  They are calling for 75 here.  So what is next.. snow and ice on Labor Day here.

D.C weather.. love it

Well then enjoy it.  Put on shorts and flip flops and head outside and get some sunshine!  I try and tell people what that is like to do that on Christmas but you have a real chance to do that now!  Wink

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:59

D.C weather.. love it
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:57

Merry Christmas to you and your family Brian!  Hope you all have a colder one that we will hahaha

Merry Christmas to you and Raff too,  sir!  You know it is only going to be 64 on Christmas at least in the forecast now.  You maybe right! Shocked

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:54
Merry Christmas to you and your family Brian!  Hope you all have a colder one that we will hahaha
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:44

If you are going to listen to an album or albums entitled Testimony and Testimony II then I think you know what your are going to hear.  Get over it or don't put it on.  If you don't subscribe to what he believes at least realize this is what he does believe.  ? and Sola Scriptura were concept albums. Concept, the idea of making a conceptual story around a central theme.  You do not have to agree with the theme. Since then his albums are pretty much stand alone albums.  

People say Neal is repetitive in themes.  i don't necessarily think they are repetitive but reflect his style.  If you look at the sum total of everything he has written and released since the first SB album it is staggering in the amount of music he has produced in several different bands as well as his solo work.  On top of that Neal doesn't hold back his sketches as he release almost all of his demos through his inner circle club. A great example of that was the Infinite fire demo that he and Steve Morse wrote from the first Flying Colors CD.   Then add in the live albums and DVDs with all of the groups sheesh the guy is a machine.  Certainly sooner or later he may recapture a similar theme but most of his stuff it moves forward.  Remember every CD he has written equals at least 2 albums form the 70's guys.  I want to add the newest album with input from all members of his band may be the best thing he has released in a while and refreshes his style in ways he would not have conceived by himself but shows how much he is willing to move forward.   

The guy is extremely talented and he surrounds himself with guys who are on the same plane.  It may seem simple but it is far from it.  

Finally, I have had the pleasure to talk to Neal on a few occasions and the guy is pretty genuine.  What you see is what you get.  He never comes off as pretentious or put out talking with fans, Christian and not, and he loves music. All kinds of music.   I will let pass things I don't agree with because he writes music that is challenging, emotional and he can cover several different arenas of styles.  He is not afraid to pay tribute to his influences as well even in the moment in his concerts.  
He is an autobuy for me albums and concerts.  

holy hell.. a Brian sighting! ClapHeart

LOL Hey Michael! Smile

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 18:43
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

For any Morse fan......is there a solo  album by him where he explains in his lyrics why or how he got into Christianity? Did this happen during Spock's Beard or before...? Did he have a 'vision' or was it a gradual acceptance of Christianity?
Just curious.

Testimony - the album, and, if you're really interested, he has written a book of the same name which tells how he feels that God was pursuing him all his life and various circumstances eventually led him to embrace Christianity. His conversion happened whilst he was in Spock's Beard and Transatlantic, and it was because of it that he decided to leave both bands (though he eventually reformed Transatlantic).

Thanks for the info...I'll ck out Testimony the album....don't think I'm going to buy his book though.

There are two Testimony albums. One released in 2003 I think that marked the start of his solo prog career and Testimony II in 2011 which also coincided with the the release of his book.  He felt he left out some important information fro the first album.  Great song on the second one called Time Changer about his situation in Spock's Beard and in The Eric Burdon Band. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 12:44

If you are going to listen to an album or albums entitled Testimony and Testimony II then I think you know what your are going to hear.  Get over it or don't put it on.  If you don't subscribe to what he believes at least realize this is what he does believe.  ? and Sola Scriptura were concept albums. Concept, the idea of making a conceptual story around a central theme.  You do not have to agree with the theme. Since then his albums are pretty much stand alone albums.  

People say Neal is repetitive in themes.  i don't necessarily think they are repetitive but reflect his style.  If you look at the sum total of everything he has written and released since the first SB album it is staggering in the amount of music he has produced in several different bands as well as his solo work.  On top of that Neal doesn't hold back his sketches as he release almost all of his demos through his inner circle club. A great example of that was the Infinite fire demo that he and Steve Morse wrote from the first Flying Colors CD.   Then add in the live albums and DVDs with all of the groups sheesh the guy is a machine.  Certainly sooner or later he may recapture a similar theme but most of his stuff it moves forward.  Remember every CD he has written equals at least 2 albums form the 70's guys.  I want to add the newest album with input from all members of his band may be the best thing he has released in a while and refreshes his style in ways he would not have conceived by himself but shows how much he is willing to move forward.   

The guy is extremely talented and he surrounds himself with guys who are on the same plane.  It may seem simple but it is far from it.  

Finally, I have had the pleasure to talk to Neal on a few occasions and the guy is pretty genuine.  What you see is what you get.  He never comes off as pretentious or put out talking with fans, Christian and not, and he loves music. All kinds of music.   I will let pass things I don't agree with because he writes music that is challenging, emotional and he can cover several different arenas of styles.  He is not afraid to pay tribute to his influences as well even in the moment in his concerts.  

holy hell.. a Brian sighting! ClapHeart
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

For any Morse fan......is there a solo  album by him where he explains in his lyrics why or how he got into Christianity? Did this happen during Spock's Beard or before...? Did he have a 'vision' or was it a gradual acceptance of Christianity?
Just curious.

Testimony - the album, and, if you're really interested, he has written a book of the same name which tells how he feels that God was pursuing him all his life and various circumstances eventually led him to embrace Christianity. His conversion happened whilst he was in Spock's Beard and Transatlantic, and it was because of it that he decided to leave both bands (though he eventually reformed Transatlantic).

Thanks for the info...I'll ck out Testimony the album....don't think I'm going to buy his book though.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 07:45
I don't really mind the lyrics anymore, but I have always had a hard time with his Michael Bolton vocals.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 03:26

Just curious.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 22:57
Just curious.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 23:10

Edited by Garion81 - December 19 2015 at 23:13

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 17:49
I like artists who display real passion for what they do - regardless of whether or not I subscribe to their personal philosophy. With that in mind, I think Neal Morse's solo output is far superior to anything he ever did with the might Spock's Beard. As a Christian myself I know that I'm extremely biased but I believe Morse to be the best thing in Prog since the glory days of Yes/Genesis/ELP. Just my two cents worth. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 17:35
I quite like Neal Morse's lyrics, though I admit that they can be preachy. I hardly care whether lyrics are christian or not. Anyway, it is good to find someone who is both christian and capable of making good prog music. Such people are rare and therefore should be cherished. Many of my churchmates listen to nothing but so-called "christian music". Whatever that might be, it has a few characteristics: it is made by a separate subculture, never original, seldom annoying, often mediocre and always ad usum Delphini. I tend to keep away from it, except for a handful of guilty pleasures that my ears have caught when I am sitting in a car with mrs. s_e, who has something with "worship music", in the driver's seat.

Q.E.D.: I just want to plea for protection for the rare species of christians who add something substantial to prog.

Edited by someone_else - July 19 2015 at 17:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>