Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 17:21
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

you will be then haahha.  They are calling for 75 here.  So what is next.. snow and ice on Labor Day here.

D.C weather.. love it

Well then enjoy it.  Put on shorts and flip flops and head outside and get some sunshine!  I try and tell people what that is like to do that on Christmas but you have a real chance to do that now!  Wink

this isn't funny anymore.. it is now officially winter.  I want my cold ...and ice and snow. I need my snow days off of work!!! LOL

You can have that expedience Brian haha. Summer's here are long enough and damn sure hot enough.. winter is but a short glorious break from the D.C oven that is summer...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LMTR14 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 05:29

Christian lyrics are basically the last thing I want to hear on my prog or metal (hell I'd prefer even pro-Muslim lyrics cause that at least would be something novel and could only be seen as ironic). however I do love Whirlwind, and I bought Similitude. the latter isn't the masterpiece it was announces as by a long shot, but while that has to do with the uninspired lyrics (it's mostly the same story as Whirlwind over again!), it is more held back by the lack of the forward momentum Whirlwind had. it's more of a trickling affair. it got some nice moments, but it's just a 3/5 in my view. at least buying it proved to me that Portnoy is off his rocker, comparing this to Scenes from a memory. he didn't look for a permanent prog metal band after being fired from DT (which without him is plain pointless garbage. he was the face of the band, I didn't even like petrucci, labrie etc before they fired him!), and as far as I'm concerned, he's damaged goods now. might go to see them live if the chance arrives, but seeing them once is enough.

Edited by LMTR14 - March 08 2017 at 05:30
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:55
I love Slayer and Venom. As a Christian the lyrics should (but do not) bother me.

Therefore why should Neal's honestly held beliefs bother an atheist (or agnostic.)

They should not.

They're just lyrics. 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 15:32
JS Bach: An Agnostics View
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 04:40
I discovered Transatlantic at the start of this year and really dig them, I think Neal's religion would have put me off in a big way when I was a bit younger but it doesn't really bother me at all now, he really believes what he is saying and that is fine with me.

I also really like Similitude Of A Dream
raphaelfmf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 12:39
Wow... Been a reader of this forum for years and never really posted, but this is topic is just fabulous. Man! Wish I was not 2 years late for the debate, this is an awesome topic.

First of all I totally understand the hate towards Neal's lyrics. Christian topics are just not that welcome anymore.

Second, though I whole heatedly disagree with Ivan's apologetic view of the RCC – and sometimes I even think he slightly crosses the line he himself drew between critic and bashing –, I totally understand and agree with his attitude towards Sola Scriptura's (the album, not the doctrine) theme and RCC bashing. And I say that because I utterly believe that Neal didn't mean it to be a critique on old day's catholic church, but maybe a disguised critique to the modern one also. One of the reasons being that he stated that he does not believe the trinity (namely he believes that Jesus is not God, what is probably one of the worst things you could say to any Christian) mainly because it was a catholic doctrine. He is a great musician, and I really enjoy his music overall, but for all I've seen from his theological arguments he is a very bad theologian. I'll keep at that about Morse personally because after all he's probably not around to defend himself.

I have honestly never paid attention to that detail before (the hate speech of that particular album) and this topic made me reconsider a bit my view towards Neal's work. I mean, he's free to preach whatever he wants, but that doesn't make it less unethical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910