Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeal Morse - An Agnostic's View

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 15:37
I honestly believe Neal's conversion was the best thing that could have happened to him - spiritually and musically. Before that he wrote some nice stuff (see Spock's Beard V and Transatlantic Bridge Across Forever) but all his best work came after: Testimony, One, ? and Sola Scriptura are all among the finest albums ever recorded. And this is, in my opinion, in no small part because he had purpose. He had a destiny. Those records (whether you're a Christian or not) are inspired works.

Yes, I'm a huge fan. That in no way diminishes what he has accomplished. 
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 17:24
I can understand why a Christian might find this stuff inspired but a non believer ? Why on earth would a non believer, such as myself,  want to listen to someone waffling on about a belief system that he finds inherently naff ? Fantasy lyrics of a fictional kind, OK but this is not presented as fiction, it is presented as fact. Me I find old Yhwh to be an utterly unadmirable figure. Of course that doesn't stop the believers from thinking otherwise and I have no problem with that at all, not that they give a damn what I think and why should they ? 

For mine, lyrics are an inherent part of the music and if I find the lyrics utterly disagreeable then nope, I don't want to listen. Otoh, while the only post saved Morse I have listened to is part of One, lyrics aside it didn't do much for me.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 17:39
^Completely agree. Clap

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I don't believe in Neal Morse. He is a remnant of ancient tribal cult worship.

This. LOL

Edited by Pastmaster - July 12 2015 at 17:40
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 23:53
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

I can understand why a Christian might find this stuff inspired but a non believer ? Why on earth would a non believer, such as myself,  want to listen to someone waffling on about a belief system that he finds inherently naff ? Fantasy lyrics of a fictional kind, OK but this is not presented as fiction, it is presented as fact. Me I find old Yhwh to be an utterly unadmirable figure. Of course that doesn't stop the believers from thinking otherwise and I have no problem with that at all, not that they give a damn what I think and why should they ? 

For mine, lyrics are an inherent part of the music and if I find the lyrics utterly disagreeable then nope, I don't want to listen. Otoh, while the only post saved Morse I have listened to is part of One, lyrics aside it didn't do much for me.

As well as in God, I don't believe in Devil, so why should I like Iron Maiden's 666 the number of the beast?
And what about George Harrison's mantras?
Behind Morse's lyrics there are "feelings" in a general sense, and feelings are what the artists usually try to communicate with their arts.
There are feelings and messages also in instrumentals. Sometimes a track title is enough. It depends on how deep is the message. This is the main difference with pop and dance music.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 00:08
Maiden's NotB is about a dream, not reality.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
terryl View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 00:11

I can understand why a Christian might find this stuff inspired but a non believer? Why on earth would a non believer, such as myself,  want to listen to someone waffling on about a belief system that he finds inherently naff ? 

I am a non-believer in a Buddhist country, not an atheist nor a non-Christian.  I like many of his stuff, with "?" being my desert island disc, but frankly the trinity of One, ? and Sola Scriptura is just excellent. Not because the main content is his Christian belief but rather that these are beautiful music, very memorable melodies, great complex instrumentation, brilliant and at times emotional vocals. 

I don't care much about lyrics, except when they are exceptionally good or bad. In the case of these previously mentioned albums, they are very, very good. Did I find the lyrics especially in "?" and Sola Scriptura like reading a gripping book, with intriguing beginning, intense middle act, and satisfying resolution at the end. In the two Testimony albums, I remember some praisings, which I can live without, but still it is with very good music.

Unfortunately some of his more recent stuff has lost similar qualities that made "?", One, or Sola Scriptura worked very well. 
And who are we to justify the right in all we do
Until we seek, until we find Ammonia Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmJ39j58W0
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 04:13
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

As well as in God, I don't believe in Devil, so why should I like Iron Maiden's 666 the number of the beast?
And what about George Harrison's mantras?
Behind Morse's lyrics there are "feelings" in a general sense, and feelings are what the artists usually try to communicate with their arts.
There are feelings and messages also in instrumentals. Sometimes a track title is enough. It depends on how deep is the message. This is the main difference with pop and dance music.

Why you should like Iron Maiden I cannot say but even an old atheist like me acknowledges that certain things are beyond our understanding. Big smile
I've not experienced a lot of Morse's work but reading through the lyrics of One makes me feel it is more proselytising than the simple airing of feelings. The prosecution calls its first witness

"Jesus came to lift us from the mud
God in dwelling in real flesh and blood
"Don't be angry; he just loves you so"
Let his spirit come and take control
It has begun....

Jesus understands
The heart of every man
He can feel your pain
Your suffering and shame
He has spanned the crest
Between the spirit and the flesh
He has raised the dead"  Neal Morse

The prosecution rests.

Seriously though, as I said previously I simply don't understand how someone who does not believe this stuff would want to listen the above, I most certainly do not. That does not in any sense say that it is less than uplifting or relevant to a believer.
As for Harrison's mantras, to some extent I feel the same way about that. While its fair to say that some of that stuff is an aid to meditation parts of Harrison's output could also be considered evangelical. I've practiced meditation and most certainly find certain music conducive as an aid to relaxation. That, to me at least, is  a whole world away from trying to convince others that their God (any God) is real in a physical sense.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 05:21
Lyrics "CAN BE" an important part of the whole thing, not always. Which importance can have "Toka Taye Tay Toka" or "Mitto mutto" sung by Jon Anderson?  (Jon and Vangelis Private Collection and Olias of Sunhillow)
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 15:04
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Lyrics "CAN BE" an important part of the whole thing, not always. Which importance can have "Toka Taye Tay Toka" or "Mitto mutto" sung by Jon Anderson?  (Jon and Vangelis Private Collection and Olias of Sunhillow)

Fair point. I'm one of those who likes a lot of Italian prog and I understand very little Italian so the lyrics are pretty much irrelevant, same goes for Gregorian chants as I know very little Latin. I'm not saying that any/all religious references are bad or more correctly not to my taste, only that in Morse's case it turned me off.
Andrew B

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 16:17
Can we add all the other prog rock bands that have a religious theme in their lyrics.......Why is only one artist getting scrutinized?
Because he admitted to finding something that made him a better person and wants to sing about it? I don't see what is wrong with that.

Do we scrutinize the death/gothic/black metal bands for what they write about? I am 100% about music as an art form and anything goes..bring it on!!! But let's not just get on ONE artist for what inspires he/she to write about.

I feel that an artist will write lyrics because they have some genuine feeling about them and the subject matter....Regardles if it is Neal Morse, Jon A or Peter Gabriel. It's just lyrics to go along with the music...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 17:16
I have no idea why it is/was only Neal Morse but my initial response was to the OP. That said I would maintain that certain topics would be for me a turnoff no matter the artist. Do you like to sing along to your favourites ? Despite the feelings of my neighbours cat I most certainly do. Last evening I was playing The Byrds' "Sweetheart of the Rodeo". One of my favourites largely due to Gram Parsons' influence but I'm never likely to sing or play along to "The Christian Life".

Edited by t d wombat - July 13 2015 at 17:17
Andrew B

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 18:07
I don't mind Christian lyrics so much, despite being an agnostic with a serious dislike for religion, but it is entirely dependant on the writing style and delivery. Morse is a simplistic, crass writer that takes his beliefs and shoves it down the listeners throat without any sense of elequence or poetry at all, evoking all the worst kinds or cliches from christian music. Then there's his delivery, with his voice clearly mixed right to the very front leaving absolutely no doubt about what his singing and enhancing his "message". Then there's the fact that he's broken record, singing about the same damned subject on every bloody song for 15 prolific years. Then there's his music, which has zero identity of any kind. If it wasn't for the obvious absence of Dave Meros thundering bass tones, there'd be absolutley no way to tell his current music apart from his run in Spock's Beard (crappy lyrics aside). Or Transatlantic. Or Dream Theater in the instrumental sections. This might have been acceptable 15, 20 years ago when there were far fewer bands playing a modern take on Symphonic Prog and the musicians were all younger with more to say, but today these bands are ten a penny from the same group of people that have done it all before a dozen times over. Musically he has nothing left to say that we haven't all heard already multiple times.

It's not this is the only way to get his beliefs across in music either. Kerry Livegren wrote about Christianity a lot for Kansas and Proto-Kaw, and whilst the former doesnt interest me musically much, neither of them bother me in the slightest lyrically, even when I know it's religion they're singing about. The difference is talant (a subjective opinion, I know).
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Wicket View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 18:20
To be fair, I ignore lyrics in songs, so I just thought Morse was singing about whales all the time in his solo stuff. (or polar bears or something, idk)

I have no problem about bands or artists singing about religious, cultural or political beliefs in the songs they write, that's fine. What turns me away is if they make their charged lyrics the MAIN FOCAL POINT of their songs. That's why I don't care much for punk.

Morse writes his solo albums with great attention to the little details, kinda of like classical symphonies, and although his lyrics are heavily religious, they're never the be all end all of the album. I've recently gotten back to listening to Sola Scriptura, mainly because of the many juicy instrumental sections in it (as well as Portnoy's drumming), not for Morse's lyrics at all.

That and I've always been a fan of Sonic The Hedgehog video games, and Morse's voice on the track "Momentum" is like the perfect accompaniment. Which is kind of weird.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 21:24
Personally i don't care if lyrics praise God, Satan or the Easter Bunny. If i like the music the lyrics are secondary. I like lots of Christian and Gospel, but i also like Satanic metal like Mayhem. I even like those cute Easter songs from my childhood. Good music is good music regardless of philosophical leanings. As for Mr Norse, he is hit and miss with me. He has some great music but his sheer output tends to repeat itself a lot whether it be in the Spock's Beard days, the solo stuff or with Transatlantic
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 21:55
Maybe that's why I like a lot of singer-songwriter stuff. I enjoy good lyrics. Adds a whole other dimension for me. Sleeper put it well I thought. For mine, it is not JUST Morse's lyrics that are a problem as I didn't really find his music terribly .... ahem .... inspiring. Well played yes but still and all just more of the same old same old I'm afraid. It was however lyrical content that was the basis of the OP.

Andrew B

Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2015 at 22:24
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I honestly believe Neal's conversion was the best thing that could have happened to him - spiritually and musically. Before that he wrote some nice stuff (see Spock's Beard V and Transatlantic Bridge Across Forever) but all his best work came after: Testimony, One, ? and Sola Scriptura are all among the finest albums ever recorded. And this is, in my opinion, in no small part because he had purpose. He had a destiny. Those records (whether you're a Christian or not) are inspired works.

Clap I'm with this guy! 
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 06:20
Originally posted by Lowend Lowend wrote:

I like Neal Morse. I think he writes good music. I have noticed a few reviews which have been critical of his work due to his preaching. As an agnostic, you'd think that would bother me but it doesn't. I actually admire him for having the courage to put it out there even though I may not share his views. I don't think that should detract from his music. It's just his opinion. I can understand not liking his music but I can't understand not liking it because of the lyrics. My main focus in prog is the compostion and instrumentation. Let the dialog begin .......

Thank you for your frank and impartial view.  I am a Christian and, yes, I like what Morse is producing.  But, like you, I like it for more than the Christian message; I like it for the, as you say, "prog...composition and instrumentation."  Regardless of philosophical or religious beliefs, I believe music 'speaks.'  And, prog music has spoken to me for over 40 years now.  I don't always pay attention to the lyrics.  Who can when Jon Anderson's lyrics for old Yes songs make no common sense at all?  Thank you, Lowend, for your frank, impartial view on Morse and his MUSIC!  Regardless of the man and his beliefs, his MUSIC speaks...
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 06:53
Interesting discussion...

As a Christian I was keen to get hold of Snow (having read something of the story behind it), and I found it was not quite as similar as the story of jesus as some would seem to believe.  I am yet to delve into his solo work but I intend to.

I think it makes sense for people to write songs about things that are important to them.  That should make for better songs, if you have a message to communicate.  That said, I enjoy opaque lyrics a lot - quite poetic, but it's not really clear what they're about at all.

I would have to say that I would struggle to listen to a whole album  where the lyrics clearly and consistently displayed a worldview completely contrary to my own.  I could still appreciate the music, but naturally the lyrics would affect my ability to enjoy it.  So I understand people's views of Morse's music.

But don't forget, he made a clear decision to go away and write 'Christian music' so you kind of know what you are going to get.  It's not like he's trying to disguise it.

I don't know where I stand on appraising Morse's work:  I like Snow but I don't really like V much.  I'm not even sure I like his voice much, but there's clearly some real talent there.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 07:29
If your faith is very important to you and at the core of who you are it takes an enormous effort to not preach, because you want to share your passion with others. Music is the perfect and obvious medium to do just that, so I don't hold that against him.

I'm not bothered by preachy lyrics. It takes a lot to turn me off with words. I tend to listen to the music first. Of course if Mr Morse was preaching hate, that would be a turn off!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 10:12
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Clap I'm with this guy! 

Agree with you! It seems his creativity took wing. I like Testimony more than his SB and Transatlantic works. Some of his other solo works sound less inspired but I still find something to enjoy like Lifeline and Testimony 2 (second disc).

As a christian I have no problems with his lyrics. Actually it's a plus for me. It's hard to find such good christian prog. I also enjoy any good music with positive message (or feel) but I wouldn't want to listen to something negative or satanic.

Musically I see Neal Morse as "the Mozart of prog". He's a master of musical hooks. This memorable melodies are really compelling to me. His composition can be simple or/and advanced. His discography is vast plus constant concerts ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>