Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have your tastes in music changed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How have your tastes in music changed?
    Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:19
How have your tastes in music, in prog or other genres, changed over time and why?

I'm long in the tooth, so I've had extreme changes in my musical tastes from embracing death metal after befriending some death metal groups from Florida in the 90's, to embracing world music because of Peter Gabriel's involvement with that genre's music and artists in the eighties, just to state two examples.

I don't expect everyone to have such wide reaching changes in their appreciation for music over time, but what are some your own? And why?

Edited by SteveG - July 11 2015 at 15:01
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:20
Really, my tastes in music changed by ever expanding. For me it was about embracing an already wide palate and working with some of the tougher records till I understood what about each genre's classics made them classics. I escaped late '00's bubblegum by embracing new wave to start with, and from there I just added, in order: classic rock and prog, then grunge and britpop (slowly chipping away at a wall I built after '89), to punk, to HC, on through metal, officially smashing a post-'97 wall I built after the first one crumbled with indie, got blown away by industrial, and then dabbled in hip hop, at first via trip hop.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:24
I've increasingly got away from "traditional" prog (with the exception of the classics), and embraced the wacky & wonderful world of Avant.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:36
For about 45 years (!) my musical tastes haven't changed much.
That is: before the musical earthquake of the Modern Prog Polls since three weeks.
I'll explain.

I grew up as a prog kid (they exist!)
My older three brothers, the heroes of my youth, were teenagers when I was a kindergarten kid.
My oldest brother was into ELP and ELO.
My middle brother was into Genesis, Yes, Kayak and Earth & Fire.
My youngest brother was into Procol Harum.
All three brothers and my sister were into Focus.
My parents were into Thijs van Leer's solo albums.

For the past 40 years my tastes have been symphonic and crossover prog.
Three weeks ago the wise gurus of PA have decided to launch new polls.
I like polling.
I LOVE polling.
That's what I did for the last few years at PA: polling and posting in the Just For Fun section.
And searching for unknown jewels in the classic prog database.

End of june: Summer Madness polls.
I love polling!
Classic polls, so much the better.
Week 1: filling in the gaps of the classic albums I didn't know.
Week 2: ready for more classic polls.
They didn't come.
Modern polls.
WHAT?
(Sigh) alright, I'll give it a go.

I liked it.
I loved it!
Biggest surprise of all: I listened to Zeuhl and RIO!
I like Zeuhl, I love RIO!

After 45 years, I'm ready to move on...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 15:38
I listen to less and less music from before the mid-1970s, the stuff I do listen to from back then usually being stuff today recognized as ahead-of-its-time. Also, less to metal and prog but more to electronic and punk. (the last one defined pretty loosely)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 16:01
I grew up on hard rock and metal mainly, and hard rock and metal are still my favorite types of music with progressive rock added on. My tastes haven't really changed a whole lot, other then the fact that I went through a Dubstep phase but soon realized how bad it was. All sounds the same, and there isn't really anyway to make it sound different.

Edited by Pastmaster - July 11 2015 at 17:24
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 17:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

How have your tastes in music, in prog or other genres, changed over time and why?

I'm long in the tooth, so I've had extreme changes in my musical tastes from embracing death metal after befriending some death metal groups from Florida in the 90's, to embracing world music because of Peter Gabriel's involvement with that genre's music and artists in the eighties, just to state two examples.

I don't expect everyone to have such wide reaching changes in their appreciation for music over time, but what are some your own? And why?

Same camp, brother. I was obsessed with early 90's Floridian death metal almost exclusively from about 2005 to 2010, while starting to get into prog around 2008ish (Yes Fragile was the one that hooked me). From 2010 onward, I was very much into prog, but never denied myself some death metal from time to time. Death is still my favorite metal band (of any of the convoluted, pretentious sub-genres) of all time.

If I had to pick one single band, it would be Yes. After hearing their discography, they are without question that one singular band that I was truthfully looking for my entire life Smile.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 04:07
Forgot to mention I've also made an effort to listen to more music with women as main songwriters, since I've noticed they're somewhat underrepresented in my listening habits.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 04:53
mine has not changed at all, I still love and feel an urge to go back and listen to:
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Wishborne Ash - Vas Dis
Yes - Roundabout
Focus - Eruption
etc.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 06:55
It's been a whirlwind since 2005 or so when I started out with hard rock and heavy metal, also some of the classic rock biggies like PF and LZ.  I mean, I did listen to Beatles and a few pop groups before that but 99% of my collection was Indian music until then.  I actually heard Firth of the fifth for the first time not long after getting familiar with 'old' Metallica.  So metal dominated for about a couple of years before I went back to prog, a bit tired of both the extreme repetition in metal and the intolerance towards 'non metal' of many metal listeners.  Well, the prog phase too peaked out by 2010 and I began to get into electro acoustic music, if that is the right word.  The artists I have in mind specifically are Morton Feldman and Terry Riley.  Also kept filling up 'gaps' like post punk in the meantime.  Caught up with jazz classics as well.  Professional and personal responsibilities as well as my writing aspirations have taken up my time since and it has become difficult to follow a scene patiently.  So for the last four-five years, it's been more about whatever comes to me by way of recommendations from friends, PA, the internet in general, etc.    
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 06:59
It's interesting to observe how many folks (not just on PA) start out listening to hard rock and metal, then finding prog. 

My tastes are so open and eclectic now Smile.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

That is: before the musical earthquake of the Modern Prog Polls since three weeks.
I'll explain.

My older three brothers, the heroes of my youth, were teenagers when I was a kindergarten kid.

I like polling.
I LOVE polling.
That's what I did for the last few years at PA: polling and posting in the Just For Fun section.

I love polling!
They didn't come.
Modern polls.
WHAT?

I liked it.
I loved it!

that gets you a Johnny T as well

makes all the time we invested into it. Putting it together and getting it out... all worth it. Heart

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 07:28
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I'll explain.

I like polling.
I LOVE polling.

I love polling!
They didn't come.
Modern polls.
WHAT?

I liked it.
I loved it!

that gets you a Johnny T as well

makes all the time we invested into it. Putting it together and getting it out... all worth it. Heart

Yes, being grateful to you and the others.
If the polls had any educational purpose, than my case is a total success.
Plus... I upgraded my classic albums knowledge (Dün, Magma, Gnidrolog, Comus and others).
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 07:33
My tastes were in the more "classic rock" genre of the 60's, 70's, 80's (and now 90's), etc. Ever since the start of the decade I've been pulled into more of the prog rock genre thx in no small part to Rock Band and Guitar Hero; Yes pretty much helped me open the gate to the world of prog. I still have this "classic rock" etch, but it wasn't as big as it was several years ago.
Progrockdude
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 07:35
they certainly did have that purpose... look no further than myself. I knew going in that fully half those albums I had never heard. The destination, the results, mattered half as much as the journey, the exploring of those album I had either missed or was completely ignorant of. I was surprised by how many albums we actually had, but I had never heard.  I'd tell Raff I need this album.. and she'd say.. ahhh.. we have that one LOL

too much music.. too little time.. hence the value of the polls.  Use the little time we have for exploration checking out albums that were selected by those who know the music best.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:09
I grew up around jazz, but the first music I connected to was mainstream rock/pop punk. It did its purpose. Then I got into Hendrix, Zeppelin, Queen, etc. for a while. Also got into hair and speed metal for a short period. Then got into Yes, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Battles. From there it just expanded to punk, classical, jazz, metal, what have you.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

they certainly did have that purpose... look no further than myself. I knew going in that fully half those albums I had never heard. The destination, the results, mattered half as much as the journey, the exploring of those album I had either missed or was completely ignorant of. I was surprised by how many albums we actually had, but I had never heard.  I'd tell Raff I need this album.. and she'd say.. ahhh.. we have that one LOL

too much music.. too little time.. hence the value of the polls.  Use the little time we have for exploration checking out albums that were selected by those who know the music best.

That's certainly the strength of the polls.
You know that what's presented in the polls is stuff that stands out.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 08:58
well.. other than the Neo selections. Wink And that wasn't the fault of Tom and our Neo friends here.. just the best of what it has to offer was.. umm... unsatisfactory and too LONGLOLClapHeart

I tell ya.. bring back the 40 minute album..
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:17
I don't know that my tastes have changed necessarily....but I tend to latch onto certain artists and become obsessed for a while, going through the whole catalogue, then moving on to something else I haven't played in a while.  I enjoy discovering great artists that for whatever reason I missed when I was growing up....there are so many.  No matter how well rounded we may see ourselves musically almost all of us have missed things.  That sense of discovery keeps it really fun and fresh. 

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:20
Age 8-10: The Beatles, Rolling Stones discovered
Age 10-12: Kiss, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden favorite bands
Age 12-15: Mostly heavy metal, thrash metal, some extreme metal. Started listening to some prog - Marillion, Rush, Hawkwind
Age 15-20: Mainly alternating between prog and metal, some dream pop bands discovered, electronic stuff like Karftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Gandalf. Discovered Gary Numan
Age 20-35: Alternating a bit back and forth between the above. Tomita added to the discoveries. Rediscovered The Beatles. Added industrial metal to stuff I like, and grunge.
Age 35-  : Taste in music is ever widening and encompassing. A greater tendency to like a lot of music, but the ones I truly attach to on a deeper level aren't all that many. Some jazz and classical added to my listening pool, and have started appreciating the subtle elegance of AOR to a greater degree. Generally more and more intrigued by the use of subtle nuances, no matter what the music is all about. I've come across country music that isn't loathsome and that can be listened to without firing up my vomiting reflex.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>