Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow have your tastes in music changed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 09:35
Started out in my teens exclusively into Hard Rock and Metal (Sabbath, Maiden, Rainbow, etc). Broadened in my late teens core prog (Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Hawkwind, Gong) plus a lot of jazz and blues. In my 40s expanded into Avant, Zeuhl, Experimental Jazz, Modern Classical.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well.. other than the Neo selections. Wink And that wasn't the fault of Tom and our Neo friends here.. just the best of what it has to offer was.. umm... unsatisfactory and too LONGLOLClapHeart

I tell ya.. bring back the 40 minute album..

The RIO in you kicks out the neo. It can't be helped, I'm afraid.
There was some excellent neo in the polls: The Wake, The Sentinel, Fact And Fiction.
Okay, I might as well stop. I hear your contempt from this side of the Atlantic. Transatlantic, so to say   

Oh, BTW, I think 40 minutes is in most cases an excellent length for an album.

Edited by Moogtron III - July 12 2015 at 10:11
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:13
hisss.....retro prog Angry  oh and don't start me about Neal Morse LOLLOL How the hell did that make it into the 2nd round PinchLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:17

hisss.....retro prog Angry  oh and don't start me about Neal Morse LOLLOL How the hell did that make it into the 2nd round PinchLOL

And who knows how far he'd come AFTER round 2
But I must say, I'd prefer classic neo (as if!... classic neo!) above Neal Morse.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:20
Neal Morse ... over Miriodor.. still shaking my head over that one LOL

don't even get Raff started on this!! LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 10:25
Better claim the Fifth on this oneAngryLOL...
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 11:11
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 11:24
I started out in my childhood with various 1970s top 40 hits, then in my teens in the late 70s early 80s was exclusively heavy metal/hard rock. Then at the age of 22 in 1985 started my love of Classical music (Bruckner has been and is my favorite composer) and love of prog (Triumvirat becoming and remaining my favorite band of any sort). Since 1985, my classical music tastes have evolved into an appreciation of Historical recordings (those made before 1960) and my love of prog has expanded into fusion, Heavy Prog, RPI, Electronic, as well as Symphonic Prog. In the 2000s, I developed an important focus on all recordings made by prog musician Helmut Koellen.
        That's it in a nutshell!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 12:12
I'm listening to basically the same music as I did when I started....classic rock and folk , some jazz fusion, some classical, and of course prog. I have expanded over the years to include some alternative and indy music at times.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:01
The first "popular" music I ever listened to was the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. I still remember how excited I was when I first listened to the Stones' "Let's Spend the Night Together". I didn't understand English back then, I liked it because it was so cheerful. Today, I find that song boring. But I still love Jumpin' Jack Flash, As Tears Go By and Ruby Tuesday. I also was fascinated by We Love You (mellotron!) and the psychedelic Their Satanic Majesties Request which was my first CD. My father listened mainly to classical music so I got to know that as well. Later, Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Bruckner, Wagner and Puccini became some of my favourites.

When I was about 13, a friend introduced me to the 70s Genesis albums which is my favourite music until today. From the 90s music I think Radiohead is my biggest impression. I also like the Stone Temple Pilots, The Cardigans and Stereolab (I remember taping "Sick and Tired" and "Super-Electric" from the radio and being totally in love with the songs). I got also interested in punk music (though I never liked the Sex Pistols). I didn't know anything about the ridiculous punk-prog hostility back then. I still like some bands like NOFX, Satanic Surfers and similar stuff.

When I visited Ireland, I became very interested in Irish traditional music. Back then the Dubliners were my favourite band, now it is Planxty. I think the difference between these groups shows how my taste has changed from catchy melodies to complexity (though I still like the Dubliners). Also, Altan and the Chieftains belong to my favourites.

Also, I got into metal, the more melodic styles at first, for example Blind Guardian. Later I also listened to thrash and black metal, like Slayer, early Metallica, Immortal and Emperor. During about the same time I also started listening to other prog, like ELP, Yes and King Crimson. Oh yes, and Novalis.

From 2009 I really got into prog and it was rather a coincidence, because somebody started a prog discussion in a discussion forum and it all sounded so interesting. Until then, for me prog consisted mainly of the four bands Genesis, ELP, Yes and KC. Then came Gentle Giant, VdGG, Banco, ...

I think my taste, as I said before, has changed from "catchyness" to complexity. Though I still appreciate good songwriting.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 12 2015 at 13:03
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 13:20
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Neo goodie number one

Neo goodie number two

Neo goodie number three

Neo goodie number four

Neo goodie number five

Neo goodie number six

Neo goodie number seven

Neo goodie number eight

Neo goodie number nine

Neo goodie number ten

...as I saw a need for hauling out a few of the many...

Oh goody, goody, there are some real goodies there!
RPWL and Clepsydra strike an immediate chord.
Clepsydra, they sound like Pendragon. Not an innovative move, but great music nonetheless!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:18
great.. thanks Olav.. 

I'm blaming you if this sight gives me nightmares tonight LOL
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:49
I can add that Clepsydra are busy in the studio at the moment, and a new album by them should appear within a reasonable amount of time. A new Shakary album is apparently in the making too. Which reminds me...

Neo goodie number eleven
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

My father listened mainly to classical music so I got to know that as well. Later, Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Bruckner, Wagner and Puccini became some of my favourites.

Nothing more to add?  LOL  I'm just curious, are you an expert in some of these   favourites ?

Again, it seems to me that this intriguing issue will never end, at least here in PA's: most of the people like you get me wondering how they have gotten (or afforded) to have as favourites such a big bunch of Classical artists 'repertoire' ...  I suppose you know quite well that to dig deeper into these favourites of yours is such a completely different task than digging into your favourite prog bands entire discography!(remasterings, reissues, remixes, shows etc. included.)

Furthermore, you could say there are some weak albums by a fave prog/progressive artists or bands, while there are far more mediocre artists in popular music (including prog/progressive rock) IMO than in Classical Music, where you quite rarely will find a weaker bunch of 'releases'.. well, at least for me Classical Music has been rarely disappointing - could say the exceptions being the very fewer that I have listened to minimalism/serial and, perhaps, electro-acoustic experimentations, would have to explore it farther to make my definitive impressions.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:51
My tastes have been gradually moving outside the Rock and Rock based music, unlike my old times when I used to rotate around that world as a premise of mine. Nowadays, those more aggressive music are NOT in the first place for me anymore.

Anyway I will always come back here for cool and great references, like Mighty Micky's f.e. LOL

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 14:52

great.. thanks Olav.. 

I'm blaming you if this sight gives me nightmares tonight LOL

Nah, that isn't nightmare inducing. But I'll give one right here and now that will give you chills: Steven Wilson, remastering Magma's classic albums.

That thought should give you some interesting dreams I imagine.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 15:00
AHHHHH!!!  Now that was scary!! LOL

I'll check those out Olav. Clap I assume (I need to register to listen I see) they are not from the usual police line up of the usual  Neo prog suspects. I've tried those all and they all fail to reach me.

Edited by micky - July 12 2015 at 15:01
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 15:03

AHHHHH!!!  Now that was scary!! LOL

I'll check those out Olav. Clap I assume (I need to register to listen I see) they are not from the usual police line up of the usual  Neo prog suspects. I've tried those all and they all fail to reach me.

Some are from the usual suspects, others are not:
1. RPWL
2. Galahad
3. Marillion
4. Airbag
5. Acoustic Asturias
6. Barock Project
7. Carptree
8. Clepsydra
9. Crystal Palace
10. Little Atlas
11. Shakary

Here's one of them on YT:

Edited by Windhawk - July 12 2015 at 15:08
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 15:16
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

My father listened mainly to classical music so I got to know that as well. Later, Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Bruckner, Wagner and Puccini became some of my favourites.
Nothing more to add?  LOL  I'm just curious, are you an expert in some of these   favourites ?

I could add Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Hindemith and Orff. I think that would be the most important ones.

Well I think I know their most important works (except Bach and Hindemith), but I think that doesn't make me an expert, considering some people seem to know not only all their works but also most recordings ... also I couldn't analyze their works properly.

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

well, at least for me Classical Music has been rarely disappointing

To be honest, I have never been a fan of Mozart and Verdi. Their music, with a few exceptions, has no appeal to me.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 12 2015 at 15:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 16:59

Well I think I know their most important works (except Bach and Hindemith), but I think that doesn't make me an expert, considering some people seem to know not only all their works but also most recordings ... also I couldn't analyze their works properly.

To be honest, I have never been a fan of Mozart and Verdi. Their music, with a few exceptions, has no appeal to me.

OK then if you feel this way, nonetheless every now and then I've always realized there is some new controversy about what are their most important works, and nowadays too many lesser-knows works are being recorded and/or reissued, raising even more this controversy. Speaking for myself, that so called most famous compositions often served to me as a starting point to the artist works, but in most cases they have not been the most important to me. If you ask me for example which are Beethoven's most  important works I wouldn't answer with accuracy till I've known with proper details literally ALL his compositions, even if I have a personal preference for his 9 Symphonies. 

Curiously, in the prog/progressive world however we seem to have quite a few unanimities about the artist's most important releases.

I still know very little about Verdi's to make a judgement, and Mozart for me is the Master of creativity! Clap , he had the most incredible capability (ever seen up to date) of quickly composing 'on the fly'  beautiful pieces, just at the moment he wanted or was asked for, as a matter of fact he had an amazingly prolific career during his very few living years..

I still know very VERY little about Mozart's compositions, but I love intensely all of it that I happened to know thus far: 2 Symphonies (40 and 41); 4 Concerts for piano (19 to 23); Piano Sonata n.16; Overture Le Nozze Di Figaro; Rondo Alla Turca and some of his works for organ (which sure stunned me most than any organ driven prog piece known so far.) Don't worry about analyzing their works properly, I assure you that in Classical Music the works of a reviewer will never have the same utility as for other music like prog/progressive Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>