Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGetting deeper into prog recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting deeper into prog recommendations
    Posted: July 24 2015 at 11:44
Hello, first post.  Great site here, it was mentioned as the equivalent to metal-archives.com and so far I'm loving the info and reviews here.

Well I'm starting to dig deeper into progressive rock and music and would appreciate some recommendations.  I'm a metal head and classic rock lover, along with a fan of some jazz (mostly swinging big band) and classical.

I love Rush as they are a mainstay on local rock radio, 70's era mostly but I'm really starting to enjoy the 80's synth period and the 00's.  Grace Under Pressure is getting a lot of play from me lately.  Got a bunch of their albums and filling in the gaps as time goes by.  Pink Floyd is another favorite, one of my all time favorite bands.  Just got a couple King Crimson albums.  Red and Crimson King.  Red I'm working on, but Court of the Crimson King is blowing me away.  Been listening to Foxtrot from Genesis on Amazon Prime and just ordered the 1994 edition of Selling England by the Pound as I read the newest remasters are far too loud, like most remasters unfortunately.  The prog era Genesis is such a different beast than the pop Genesis I'm most familiar with.  So far so good.  Fan of Opeth, really digging Pale Communion as well as their earlier death metal stuff.  Tool is a favorite of mine as well.  Need to go deeper into Yes as well, heard their hits many times but they go so much deeper I'm told.  Same with Jethro Tull.

What I'm looking for is prog music, that is more progressive songs structures and ideas instead of just 10 minute songs that are just hyper technical.  When I listen to Dream Theater I keep feeling that I should just listen to Rush since they actually rock.  Now I love great musicianship but now I'm looking for something a bit more Crimson King than just technical rock, but not so far out that it goes over my head.  Baby steps and all that.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 12:10
this will probably be right up your alley

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 13:06
Here's a few things that might be of interest.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 13:26
There are so many classic prog rock albums to recommend and they are all listed on this site on the best of page....but I became a fan of IQ about 2 years ago and I recommend Dark Matter and or Frequency. Great song structures with great playing and melody. Also their new one called Road of Bones.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Ancient_Mariner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:24
Yeah the best of lists are great here, pointing me in many great directions.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:29
I'll check all those out when I get home and have sound.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:36
Hi Aaron - welcome to the siteBeer

Yeah be sure to report back on what you think of the music. That way we can better narrow it down to the really saucy stuff. 

A bit of Caravan perhaps?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:41
Caravan, yaay!

If you like Rush, try some Jethro Tull, at least Minstrel in the Gallery, I always made that conection, dont know why. If the Classic Rock suites you better, go to the classic Aqualung.

An perhaps also a bit of this:

- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 14:54
With Jethro Tull I've heard the song Aqualung and a couple others on KSHE95, the local rock station which is very heavy on classic rock, but not much else.  I Never really put them in the prog category myself, which means I probably haven't heard much from them.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:04
Yeah, Jethro Tull is a shape shifter. There's no other way round than listen'em! Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 15:06
Well Jethro Tull basically started out as a heavy blues rock band with the odd folky ingredient. Aqualung departed a bit from that but not by much. If you want the 'proggier' bits from em you may want to start out with either Thick as a Brick or A Passion PlaySmile My fave by far is A Passion Play.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 17:22
Maybe:
Pain of Salvation
Anathema
IQ
Shadow Gallery
Angra (first 3 albums)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 19:14
Gazpacho's Tick Tock

And Big Big Train in general. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 20:26
Obvious choices:  The Yes Album and Physical Graffiti!  After all, Yes + Zep = Rush.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 21:03
You're on the right track, AM, great choices so far.   I'm thinking Tull should be a nice seam for you to mine; anything from Aqualung on through Stormwatch should keep you toasty for many days.

Good hunting.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2015 at 22:35
I guess you'll have to get more Crimson albums... however, a warning, don't expect to get another "Court of the Crimson King", for that was the only such album they made... well, almost, the second one was almost a copy in structure and feel of the first album, but for me they mostly failed and didn't achieve the same highs (the title track is wonderful, though), after that they did it all different and didn't repeat themselves. I guess your next picks would have to be "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" and some live album from the Wetton era (I like best "Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, or else "The Great Deceiver").

From Genesis you already got/ordered my favourites, but I guess you should get "Nursery Crime" as well in order to get the trio... and The Lamb too, in order to get all from this line-up, though for me this one lost some of the magic from the previous albums.

Indeed you need to get into Yes. Go with Fragile and Close to the Edge, my very favourite ones and the ones with the most remarkable line-up. Then you should get the next 3 albums (and perhaps The Yes album too), or Yessongs (or else, the new progeny, which I haven't got, but it's suposed to have better sound quality... I guess the highlight version should be enough).

About Jethro Tull, besides the two albums that were recommended to you already (Thick as a Brick and Passion Play... of which the second one I don't yet know and thus cannot recomend), you might as well get the Live, Bursting Out album (most of the times I like Jethro Tull live much better, actually).

You haven't mentioned ELP, so perhaps you need to get into them too. As well as Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Camel, and Renaissance. And don't forget some Rock Progressivo Italiano too (Banco del Muttuo Socorsso are my favourites, plus the album "YS" from Il Balleto di Bronzo, "Inferno" from Metamorphosi, and "Zarathustra" from Museo Rosenbach, oh yes, and "Felona e Sorona" from Le Orme. And since you like metal, I have been digging some Devin Townsend lately, he's got some wonderful music; I really loved Terria.
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 01:22
You'll probably like these guys

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:22
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Caravan, yaay!

If you like Rush, try some Jethro Tull, at least Minstrel in the Gallery, I always made that conection, dont know why. If the Classic Rock suites you better, go to the classic Aqualung.

An perhaps also a bit of this:

That Tull sounds pretty good. 

Not so sure about that Gentle Giant.

Edited by Ancient_Mariner - July 27 2015 at 20:26
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:28
That Ayreon track is pretty good.  Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'll check out some of their stuff.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2015 at 20:48
Glad you like Minstrel in the Gallery, its a personnal favourite of mine.

Gentle Giant is more difficult to adquire the taste. Go to the last track of that album, its more concise.

Edited by GKR - July 27 2015 at 20:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>