Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull Fan Central: JT Appreciation Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 13:10
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:05
Thanks a lot. Thumbs Up
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 06:25
Where's the outake Advertising man which was mentioned by Ian?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 07:37
this actually looks a bit thin to me...was hoping for more, maybe even a new live disc like with Minstrel
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 16:28
I guess there is no surprises really. But video material of Tull is so rare that I am really glad with it.

Especially the article inside the booklet ‘From Carmen to Tullman’ – The Musical Life of John Glascock, finally more attention to the prettiest Tullman!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 08:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

john glascock

I give you the late John Glascock (1951-1979). Probably Tull's best bassist with an original 'clunky' sound and an almost metronomic sense of timing, that was breath taking at times when playing in conjunction with the equally talented Barrymore Barlow on drums. What do you think Mr. Glascock brought to great albums like Songs from The Woods? 

Great player and I loved his contributions 
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 09:45
By the way, if you guys have an account on the Team Rock website, you can read this article on Martin Barre latest album.

I found it interesting. Am hoping for the best to Martin, didnt hear yet the Back to Steel, but it seems a promissing blues-rock album.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 07:00
Great Martin Barre interview.

Some thoughs really leave me wondering if there could come up surprises from the next years...
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 11:39
Ok, who will be the Quizz Kid!?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 09:57
Heard the Steven Wilson-remixed A Passion Play. So far, noticed some extra lyrics added in one part which although novel, not sure I approve as they take away from the original product somewhat. Otherwise, interesting, and I'm glad I bought it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:23
Steven Wilson putted back this part, take away two phrases of sax and the odd sound in the middle of the "sotry of the hare" that indicate when flip the vynil.

I guess that made a lot of sense and A Passion Play gain a more "organic" feeling. Its my favourite box - and one of my favourite albums.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:37
^Favorite box? There was a 'Passion Play box set? Did it involve Wilson?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:47
Yes... Steven Wilson is remixing all Jethro Tull catalog and releasing in a box-set with 80 page material about the album and the band - the material is wrtitten mainly by a guy who I forgot the name, interviewing the band,  people involved in the recording, etc.

Check the Progarchives discography of Tull, at the "boxsets and compilation" section, JT website, and even here you can see what this box is like.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:51
Oh, here is an image. Every box since A Passion Play gain a different title and personality, acording with the extra material that come along.

Its very nice, indeed.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 15:42
Geesh...I need more Tull like a need a hole in my head....I own all the original vinyl, all the cd's, and that 25th anniversary cd box that came out years ago.
What's my incentive.....remastering  by the inimitable Mr Wilson...?

Ermm

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 02:56

I received my Too old remix box today. The 4 outtakes are better than every song on the album as expected apart from Chequered flag which is first class too. Tull and their bloody soundtracks lol. In 1974 and 76 they planned to do a soundtrack and also a separate tull album in both years. In the end they just released the soundtracks but these remixes have given us the additional 1974 album which was meant to be and the additional 1976 half album which didn't get complete. Wish Ian didn't waste time trying to write pop songs for movies and plays he was hoping to create. We would have been left with first class tull albums instead and a lot more prog fans. Probably missed out on a couple of gems in 1976 because he spent too much time on his proposed project. But we are left with 2 pretty strong albums with the addition of the outtakes and deletion of several of the soundtrack songs.

All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

I received my Too old remix box today. The 4 outtakes are better than every song on the album as expected apart from Chequered flag which is first class too. Tull and their bloody soundtracks lol. In 1974 and 76 they planned to do a soundtrack and also a separate tull album in both years. In the end they just released the soundtracks but these remixes have given us the additional 1974 album which was meant to be and the additional 1976 half album which didn't get complete. Wish Ian didn't waste time trying to write pop songs for movies and plays he was hoping to create. We would have been left with first class tull albums instead and a lot more prog fans. Probably missed out on a couple of gems in 1976 because he spent too much time on his proposed project. But we are left with 2 pretty strong albums with the addition of the outtakes and deletion of several of the soundtrack songs.

How is the video? I love that TV Special, cant wait to see it in high quality!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 07:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Geesh...I need more Tull like a need a hole in my head....I own all the original vinyl, all the cd's, and that 25th anniversary cd box that came out years ago.

Ermm

Actually, Wu, a few of the Wilson remixes are definitely worthwhile: The Stand Up remix has the full 1970 Carnegie Hall concert (parts were originally included on Living in the Past); the Aqualung 40th Anniversary album has remixes of Up the Pool, Wond'ring Aloud Again, Life is a Long Song, Up the Pool, From Later, Dr. Bogenbroom and Nursie; and A Passion Play contains a full remix of the whole Chateau D’Isaster session and added lost lyrics to The Foot of Our Stairs section, which, all in all, makes it perhaps the best of all the remixes.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 14:26
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

How is the video? I love that TV Special, cant wait to see it in high quality!

Haven't played that yet. Will today. Wonder what the other songs would have been like if both 76 albums were finished
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2015 at 15:26
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ermm

Actually, Wu, a few of the Wilson remixes are definitely worthwhile: The Stand Up remix has the full 1970 Carnegie Hall concert (parts were originally included on Living in the Past); the Aqualung 40th Anniversary album has remixes of Up the Pool, Wond'ring Aloud Again, Life is a Long Song, Up the Pool, From Later, Dr. Bogenbroom and Nursie; and A Passion Play contains a full remix of the whole Chateau D’Isaster session and added lost lyrics to The Foot of Our Stairs section, which, all in all, makes it perhaps the best of all the remixes.
Not a SW remix. The Stand Up Collectors Edition was released before Wilson was hired to do the remixing job for Tull. It's still worth acquiring though, for, if anything, getting the mentioned Carnegie Hall concert on CD (only available in that format through this release).

Edited by The Bearded Bard - December 05 2015 at 15:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>