Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy so much Genesis love?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 12:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Eh, Genesis degenerated to pop.  And maybe the pop was OK, but it doesn't really interest me.  I don't care about blame.  The point for me is that the older stuff still holds up, and the newer stuff bores me to death.  I am glad they are a closed circuit, baby and am happy that they stay that way. 

That about sums it up for me.......still enjoy the Gabriel years and the next 2 but I don't get all that excited about playing their music anymore.
So not that much 'love' from me anymore.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 10:02
As I delve more into early Genesis I come to the realization that after PG leaves, they had to change. They simply could not write the exact same kind of music as they did with Gabriel in the band. And then when Steve left, they changed again. Once again, I think they had to. 

Could Banks, Collins, and Rutherford have written albums comparable to Foxtrot or Selling England By The Pound? I don't think they could. It's pretty clear they also didn't want to. I've been watching various interviews on YouTube and it's clear they wanted to move in different directions with their music.

Yeah, it's a shame they went pretty much pop in the 80s but I can't see them really going in any other direction. They sure weren't going to write 70s era prog in the 80s. I see no chance of them doing that. From the view point of a longtime Genesis fan, it sucks that they moved to albums like And Then There Were Three or Invisible Touch but I think it was inevitable that they changed. What's a bit shocking is just how much they changed.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 19:30
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

As I delve more into early Genesis I come to the realization that after PG leaves, they had to change. They simply could not write the exact same kind of music as they did with Gabriel in the band. And then when Steve left, they changed again. Once again, I think they had to. 

Could Banks, Collins, and Rutherford have written albums comparable to Foxtrot or Selling England By The Pound? I don't think they could. It's pretty clear they also didn't want to. I've been watching various interviews on YouTube and it's clear they wanted to move in different directions with their music.

Yeah, it's a shame they went pretty much pop in the 80s but I can't see them really going in any other direction. They sure weren't going to write 70s era prog in the 80s. I see no chance of them doing that. From the view point of a longtime Genesis fan, it sucks that they moved to albums like And Then There Were Three or Invisible Touch but I think it was inevitable that they changed. What's a bit shocking is just how much they changed.

But And Then There Were Three is nothing like Invisible Touch Confused. I wish they had kept on doing albums like ATTWT in hte 80's instead of what they did.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 05:50
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

But And Then There Were Three is nothing like Invisible Touch Confused. I wish they had kept on doing albums like ATTWT in hte 80's instead of what they did.

True, but you can clearly see the progression and direction they were heading. Once Follow You Follow Me became a hit, that sealed the deal I think. 

And I agree with you, I'd rather have had more albums like Three or even Duke than Invisible Touch or I Can't Dance Dead
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2015 at 09:50
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

[QUOTE=TheLionOfPrague]

True, but you can clearly see the progression and direction they were heading. Once Follow You Follow Me became a hit, that sealed the deal I think. 

[/IMG]
Ain't that the truth.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 03:02
This may sound crazy but I have been a Progressive Rock fan for decades but never really gave early Genesis a listen due to a lack interest.The Phil Collins era , Peter Gabriel's solo material and Mike & The Mechanics left me a bit ...emm wanting. Recently gave both Nursery Crymes & Foxtrot some repeated spins and I do like them . In fact I decided to join this forum and started digging out my Prog collection again because of the two albums. However, I currently find myself more Interested in reaquinting myself with my Gentle Giant collection then exploring Genesis' discography further.

Edited by Frosted Celt - December 11 2015 at 03:04
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 16:39
Originally posted by Frosted Celt Frosted Celt wrote:

This may sound crazy but I have been a Progressive Rock fan for decades but never really gave early Genesis a listen due to a lack interest.

not crazy.. it just makes you one of the few sane ones...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2015 at 19:48
Oddly, I missed you dissing my band for awhile, Micky. I don't quite understand why the question is being asked. Genesis is canonical Prog alongside Yes and King Crimson. Therefore, lots of people on a Prog site are going to like them. Even if one doesn't like them, this would still be true.

Now a question that really needs asking is why so much f*&ckin Gentle Giant love?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 09:32
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Now a question that really needs asking is why so much f*&ckin Gentle Giant love?

I'm absolutely with you on that one. LOL 
A completely soulless band to my senses.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 09:39

Oddly, I missed you dissing my band for awhile, Micky.

Embarrassed SWilson is more fun of target these days LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

early GG, especially the first 3 albums really don't fit that. Full of a great deal of soul and ability to touch ones soul. Real beauty in those albums however...

I never understood the love for their post Octopus albums... but the first 4 are as good a run as any band had.

Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 14:54
Personally, I like GG ( S/T to Interview ) far more then anything I've heard by Genesis. While admittedly I've only heard Nursery Cryme & Foxtrot other then Phil Collins era Genesis.Still, I like every Gentle Giant album I alluded to above better then both those recordings. And yes, that includes Interview.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 15:48
Gentle Giant is the one of the farthest things from soulless! Shocked

Yes, they are one of my favorite bands, but I feel that they were able to perfectly be experimental and mix all sorts of sounds yet at the same time make very beautiful soulful music. 

The real question is why so much King Crimson love? Angry
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 16:08
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Gentle Giant is the one of the farthest things from soulless! Shocked

Yes, they are one of my favorite bands, but I feel that they were able to perfectly be experimental and mix all sorts of sounds yet at the same time make very beautiful soulful music. 

The real question is why so much King Crimson love? Angry

I'd say for much the same reasons you (and I) love Gentle Giant, just for a different form of soulful.
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 16:56
GG soulless? re-listen to 3 friends Star
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 17:08
I understand why some folks are turned off by GG. They basically sound like Robin Hood's barber shop quartet doing prog rock. Don't get me wrong, just like Micky, I too love those first 4 albums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 17:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I understand why some folks are turned off by GG. They basically sound like Robin Hood's barber shop quartet doing prog rock. Don't get me wrong, just like Micky, I too love those first 4 albums.

LOL      I have actually come to the conclusion that it's the singer's fault. He sounds more like a robot than a soulful human. That's why they don't speak to me, at all. I have tried, countless times, back in the day. Had a boyfriend who was a bit obsessed. Big smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 23:31
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

early GG, especially the first 3 albums really don't fit that. Full of a great deal of soul and ability to touch ones soul. Real beauty in those albums however...

I never understood the love for their post Octopus albums... but the first 4 are as good a run as any band had.

Just what I think about GG. I really love their first 2 albums, and the next 2 albums have some great moments too... even if they were already getting closer the the sound they would have later on. After those 4 albums, I only have "Playing the Fool" and have heard "The Power ant the Glory" on You Tube... I think I also heard Free Hand or Glass House, the thing is I just didn't like what I heard on the post-octopus material, so I don't really intend to try any more from it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 05:57
If interpreted narrowly to imply melancholy and pain, then yeah I don't think GG is particularly soulful.  But that goes for a lot of prog.  It's why I appreciate the hard edge Marillion brought to the first two albums with Fish (thereafter and Hogarth-era is a different story). You need either top notch singing or great lyrics (ideally a combination of both) for soul and neither are in any great abundance in prog.   

But it's ok, there's no requirement that all music has to be soulful; it can also be just fun to listen to.  And GG is a lot of fun to listen to, for me.  One thing is they at least cut to the chase, wasting no time in rambling noodle.  You get to know whether it's for you or not pretty quickly.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by MFP MFP wrote:

GG soulless? re-listen to 3 friends Star

Clap listen to Schooldays...  even after 100's of listens.. it never leaves me with dry eyes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>