Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmotional Eating-No More!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emotional Eating-No More!
    Posted: August 12 2015 at 15:46
I have developed over the last few decades, slowly, but deliberately all the same, eating highly caloric foods when I feel the emotional need, when I am stressed, bored, angry, etc. I am 100 pounds heavier than I was before I developed that tendency.
               Food like that seems to be my thing; I don't smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs. 
        Do any of you out there eat for emotional reasons? If so, how do you combat such a thing? I am learning by reading up on the net about it, and am on a diet/exercise program, and want to lose some weight and develop healthier eating habits.
                     Thoughts, anyone?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:04
I've resorted to not even keeping snack food around my home.  I still drink too much beer.

As far as losing weight:
-Cut out simple carbs (white bread, pasta, sugar)
-Cut down on liquid calories (no pop, no sugar/cream in your coffee or tea, no disgusting Starbucks monstrosities, little to no juice).  Drink lots of water instead.
-There's no real need to shy away from fats and protein
-If you're eating out at restaurants, save leftovers because the portion sizes are generally absurd

-For actually getting fit I'd recommend high-intensity workouts over jogging or biking or anything like that.  Lifting weights (there are tons of easy to follow routines available online, something like 5x5 stronglifts or Ice Cream Fitness) or even bodyweight fitness if you don't want to go to the gym.  Avoid stupid machines, the movements are unnatural & isolation of muscle groups like that doesn't benefit you nearly as much as compound movements.   But that's another discussion entirely, don't know what you're doing right now.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:08
I am in the same boat.  I have both a sweet tooth and a salt tooth so the bad eating comes at me double barrel, and if you add all of the pizza and fast foods it gets me coming and going.  I've lost a lot of weight over the years following The Body For Life diet.  It is meant to not just to be a diet but also a change in lifestyle.  I do well for long stretches but then fall back off the wagon and eat whatever isn't tied down.  I'm back on the program and hoping to see some results.  My other biggest problem is portion control.  I can't just eat one or two slices of pizza; I've got to eat 5 or 6 slices plus breadsticks.  That kind of thing.  It comes down to if you have to eat something bad, do it in lesser quantities.  You can't deny yourself those kind of treats but keeping in moderation is the way to go. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:09
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I have developed over the last few decades, slowly, but deliberately all the same, eating highly caloric foods when I feel the emotional need, when I am stressed, bored, angry, etc. I am 100 pounds heavier than I was before I developed that tendency.
               Food like that seems to be my thing; I don't smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs. 
        Do any of you out there eat for emotional reasons?
If so, how do you combat such a thing? I am learning by reading up on the net about it, and am on a diet/exercise program, and want to lose some weight and develop healthier eating habits.
                     Thoughts, anyone?

Oh hell yeah.  Tend to hit the wine bottle after a bad day too, which is even worse.
My thing right now is to try during the work week to eat sparingly and healthily, and not have any alcohol.
Weekends I'll permit myself to indulge in both areas.
I'm gradually losing some weight, hopefully it sticks.  I need to lose a lot of weight.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:11
Oh, also total agreement with Colin:  best bet is to not even have junk food/snacks in the house.  Remove the temptations completely.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:19
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I've resorted to not even keeping snack food around my home.  I still drink too much beer.

As far as losing weight:
-Cut out simple carbs (white bread, pasta, sugar)
-Cut down on liquid calories (no pop, no sugar/cream in your coffee or tea, no disgusting Starbucks monstrosities, little to no juice).  Drink lots of water instead.
-There's no real need to shy away from fats and protein
-If you're eating out at restaurants, save leftovers because the portion sizes are generally absurd

-For actually getting fit I'd recommend high-intensity workouts over jogging or biking or anything like that.  Lifting weights (there are tons of easy to follow routines available online, something like 5x5 stronglifts or Ice Cream Fitness) or even bodyweight fitness if you don't want to go to the gym.  Avoid stupid machines, the movements are unnatural & isolation of muscle groups like that doesn't benefit you nearly as much as compound movements.   But that's another discussion entirely, don't know what you're doing right now.
When I am at the gym, I do a stationary bike for a warm up, and then weight machines, then back to the stationary bike for a while. On days not at the gym, I walk briskly for up to a hour and 15 minutes sometimes.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:20
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Oh, also total agreement with Colin:  best bet is to not even have junk food/snacks in the house.  Remove the temptations completely.
Makes a lot of sense. I do treat myself once a week to something decadent, but only once a week.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:21
Another option that a lot of people have success with is intermittent fasting.  Essentially, keep all your meals within a ~8 hour window.  Not really recommended if you're waking up early for work and whatnot, better when you are on vacation (sleep in, skip breakfast, big lunch, big late supper)

edit: in response to above, walking is great.  I've started walking everywhere within a half hour of my place.  And "cheat" days are a given, otherwise you'd go nuts on a diet

Edited by Triceratopsoil - August 12 2015 at 16:23
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:22
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I am in the same boat.  I have both a sweet tooth and a salt tooth so the bad eating comes at me double barrel, and if you add all of the pizza and fast foods it gets me coming and going.  I've lost a lot of weight over the years following The Body For Life diet.  It is meant to not just to be a diet but also a change in lifestyle.  I do well for long stretches but then fall back off the wagon and eat whatever isn't tied down.  I'm back on the program and hoping to see some results.  My other biggest problem is portion control.  I can't just eat one or two slices of pizza; I've got to eat 5 or 6 slices plus breadsticks.  That kind of thing.  It comes down to if you have to eat something bad, do it in lesser quantities.  You can't deny yourself those kind of treats but keeping in moderation is the way to go. 
hi Scott, never heard of the Body For Life diet, I will check into that. Portion control is something I have struggled with, too, man. I am working on that.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:29
This is the related website.  http://bodyforlife.com/  It is connected to various protein drinks and shakes, which I have used from time to time, but they aren't really necessary.  The guy who founded this wrote a book of the same name which talks about how and what to eat and provides a weight training and cardio program.  I usually go by the book, but I am sure there are helpful things on the website as well.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:31
I'm a fat and disgusting whore and usually i replace my thirst for sex and my depression with chocolate milk, bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, thai food (yes i can eat all of it in one sitting), pizza, and mozzerella cheese fries.

If I am having sex then I don't need to eat as much because that replaces the emotional eating.

I do love food though. I hate that I love food. I have one of those minds that truly realizes where I stand in the world and I understand that presentation is everything and my presentation is absolute crap.

I hate food. God damn it I'm hungry. This is obviously a problem for me. You're not alone.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:48
^hang in, there, man! There are some insightful thoughts on emotional eating here-

helpguide.org/articles/diet-weight-loss/emotional-eating.htm

Edited by presdoug - August 12 2015 at 16:52
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 11:34
Well, I've been on my diet/exercise regime for almost three weeks now. I think I am slowly getting used to the changes. Sometimes, the comfort food cravings are really strong, but as I say, I am putting distance on those foods.  It is not an easy road I am on, but I am staying on it.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 14:28
A tall, frosty protein shake is delicious, filling, and nutritious.   Great meal replacements; like having a milkshake that's good for you.   My brand of choice, it has a rich, malty cocoa flavor and if mixed with skim milk, has the exact same taste and texture of a chocolate shake - -

BSN® SYNTHA-6™ - Chocolate Milkshake - BSN - GNC

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 14:46
pfff.. if I like it I eat it...

impulsive and without regard to long term consequences... that is my emotional eating state.

chirst man.. only live once.. enjoy it. Smoke it.. drink it... eat it... have sex with it.  live young.. enjoy life before you get old and are pissing and drooling on yourself in a some version of a B-horror movie rest home LOLThumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 18:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

impulsive and without regard to long term consequences... that is my emotional eating state.

chirst man.. only live once.. enjoy it. Smoke it.. drink it... eat it... have sex with it.  live young.. enjoy life before you get old and are pissing and drooling on yourself in a some version of a B-horror movie rest home LOLThumbs Up
^bless ya, mick, yeah, I kind of see what you are getting at there. And that is a legit way of life, it's just that i am so heavy, it's hard to get around.

Edited by presdoug - August 23 2015 at 20:10
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 18:20
Emotional eating? I had a heart attack in May which required a stent in an artery and enough beta-blockers, anti-cholesterol, blood thinners and fricking other pills to gag a rhino. Now the only emotion I get from food is watching someone else eat a goddamn pizza.

I wasn't really overweight (currently 6'2'', 230 lbs.), cigarettes did me in. And I miss them as well too.Cry
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 20:08
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Emotional eating? I had a heart attack in May which required a stent in an artery and enough beta-blockers, anti-cholesterol, blood thinners and fricking other pills to gag a rhino. Now the only emotion I get from food is watching someone else eat a goddamn pizza.

I wasn't really overweight (currently 6'2'', 230 lbs.), cigarettes did me in. And I miss them as well too.Cry
Hey, man, so sorry to hear you went thru that, and wish you all the best in the future.Hug
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 20:25

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^bless ya, mick, yeah, I kind of see what you are getting at there. And that is a legit way of life, it's just that i am so heavy, it's hard to get around.

yeah.. sort of a good natured quip.  Thankfully for all the abuse I've heaped upon my system and body.. I still wear the same sizes I did when I was 16. Still can chug a beer, smoke a Winston and go out and run a mile in decent time. However I can relate in a way.. my best friend at work has a substantial weight issue and the various health issues to go with them. I am on his ass to forget my half ass philosophy of life and do something about it. Like me is is pushing 50 and not getting any younger. Damn fool won't though..and like me but for different reasons he is likely putting himself into an early grave. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 21:53

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hey, man, so sorry to hear you went thru that, and wish you all the best in the future.Hug
Well thank you, Doug. Not looking for sympathy or anything like that, which is why I haven't posted an "O woe, f*ck me" post highlighting my travails. Just a warning to all and sundry that decades of excess caught up with me at 55. And now? I have to follow around my wife at the market looking at the sodium content of every damn package or can. No cheese. No wonderfully fatty meat. No chips, hot dogs or chili fries. Bah! Angry
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>