Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are the benefits of living in the USA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:08
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Plenty of good non fried/grilled food on the east coast. I do like living by the ocean in a compact city, Boston

One of the cities I must visit someday.
My thoughts exactly. I knew that New England was famed for its baking but (naively perhaps) assumed this was only for sweet dishes... but of course there's Boston baked beans (though a tad too sweet for me, I prefer a nice French cassoulet with pork, confit duck and sausage

Never thought of it as an eating city but I suppose it is.   N'awlins is where I'd like to take an eating tour, the whole south actually; Memphis, Atlanta, Dallas

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:12

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Dean, there is good food, you just have to know where to find it.  But yes there is a lot of crap food too, no argument there..
The challenge is not finding good food (until my last visit that was relatively easy), the challenge was finding food that wasn't fried or grilled. Admittedly I was in Texas when I threw down that challenge to my work colleagues and the best they could come up with was pizza.
What other kind is there? Wink

It's bizarre that you could only find fried and grilled food, though of all the states, Texas would be the one. Near the coasts (including and especially the gulf coast), boiling is especially popular. Baked, sauteed, steamed, and roasted foods are very present as well. You're talking about the country that celebrates Thanksgiving, for which baked or roasted turkey, boiled mashed potatoes, and steamed corn and vegetables are traditional items.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:14
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Guns, food and booze. That's interesting.

The gun control controversy will go on in this country forever. There are too many things to consider.
Demanding more guns laws is ridiculous since there are already hundreds (technically thousands) of
gun laws on the books.
None of these existing laws matter to criminals and gang bangers who don't care about laws.
Putting new restrictions on law abiding gun owners does little or no good at all.
If I have learnt one thing in my seven years on this forum it is never to get involved in gun-control arguments with an American. Have guns and no controls or have technically thousands of gun laws it makes no difference to me, I live 5,000 miles away. The issue is not of controls or lack thereof but of culture, as that is what differentiates the USA from the rest of the western world it terms of gun ownership and the scary gun-death and other gun-related crime statistics you have, and in light of reaction to recent events I don't think that will ever change. 
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:20
^ Oh it'll change, just not for a very, very long time.   Amendments do happen, just not often.   There is an aversion in the US to being too civilized, too obsequious.   And to using words like 'obsequious'.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:21

Dean, there is good food, you just have to know where to find it.  But yes there is a lot of crap food too, no argument there..
The challenge is not finding good food (until my last visit that was relatively easy), the challenge was finding food that wasn't fried or grilled. Admittedly I was in Texas when I threw down that challenge to my work colleagues and the best they could come up with was pizza.

Well if you'd been here tonight with Heather and I, the Thai we had would have knocked your socks off....no fry involved.  Last night I had a great beet salad with sauteed shrimp and tomorrow we may try a new Ethiopian place.  The food in the TCs is pretty fcking awesome mate.  Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:24
And there is this Indian place here that just slays me.....

Still your point remains valid.  A lot of restaurants in the States are just crap. 

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:31

Plenty of good non fried/grilled food on the east coast. I do like living by the ocean in a compact city, Boston

My thoughts exactly. I knew that New England was famed for its baking but (naively perhaps) assumed this was only for sweet dishes... but of course there's Boston baked beans (though a tad too sweet for me, I prefer a nice French cassoulet with pork, confit duck and sausage

Never thought of it as an eating city but I suppose it is.   N'awlins is where I'd like to take an eating tour, the whole south actually; Memphis, Atlanta, Dallas

Oh N'awlins is a superb eating and drinking city.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:52
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

What other kind is there? Wink

It's bizarre that you could only find fried and grilled food, though of all the states, Texas would be the one. Near the coasts (including and especially the gulf coast), boiling is especially popular. Baked, sauteed, steamed, and roasted foods are very present as well. You're talking about the country that celebrates Thanksgiving, for which baked or roasted turkey, boiled mashed potatoes, and steamed corn and vegetables are traditional items.
Do you have restaurants that serve roast diners 365 days a year? Wink 

I'm pleased to learn these alternative cooking methods exist in the USA and yep, Texas was not the best place to start looking, however I did have similar issues with the food in California (LA and SF). As I said if I were living in the USA permanently this wouldn't be a problem but when you are staying in a 3-star hotel and living out of a suitcase for three weeks solid then you can only eat in the restaurants in the locale where you're staying... and after two weeks of essentially eating fried/grilled/barbecued/stir-fried meals every day it all got a bit too much for my fay British constitution and I would have crawled across the desert for a steak and ale pie with boiled carrots and mashed potatoes (I don't like pasta so Italian is off the menu and I really don't like curry so that excludes Indian restaurants)

Well if you'd been here tonight with Heather and I, the Thai we had would have knocked your socks off....no fry involved.  Last night I had a great beet salad with sauteed shrimp and tomorrow we may try a new Ethiopian place.  The food in the TCs is pretty fcking awesome mate.  Smile
Thai is usually stir-fried then sauced-up coconut milk and sauté means quickly frying in hot fat, but I know what you mean. 

Oh N'awlins is a superb eating and drinking city.
New Orleans...now you're talking. Having read Poppy Z Brite's Liquor series of novels set in the New Orleans restaurant scene that quickly went on my bucket list.

Edited by Dean - October 10 2015 at 21:55
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:54

I would have crawled across the desert for a steak and ale pie with boiled carrots and mashed potatoes

The simple comforts of home.  I think there was a time when many Americans ate just like that.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:58
It was bun not stir fry....but maybe that's Vietnamese.  this place does multi Asian cuisines.  I love bun, no pun intendedTongue

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:03

It was bun not stir fry....but maybe that's Vietnamese.  this place does multi Asian cuisines.  I love bun, no pun intendedTongue
By 'bun' do you mean like char sui bao? Steamed bread rolls filled with barbecued meats?

Or do you mean dim sum?

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:09
http://lowfatveganchef.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/BunChayVermicelli-2.jpg

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:09
Having grown up in SF, the bun, or "pork bow" as it's called on the westcoast, was a childhood favorite but became cloyingly sweet to me.  Or maybe the quality just went south.  The only city I know left that has truly good Chinese food is NYC.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:13
Ah... noodles and salad. Yeah, that's Vietnamese not Thai.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:16

Having grown up in SF, the bun, or "pork bow" as it's called on the westcoast, was a childhood favorite but became cloyingly sweet to me.  Or maybe the quality just went south.  The only city I know left that has truly good Chinese food is NYC.

Yeah, some times they can be overly sweet. Chinatown in London's Soho produces some fine char sui street food.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:17

If the benefits are about cuisine, count me in for Nawlins !! Can't wait to get back there.......
Although, never one for the city life, but as the overly 'hip' crowd attest to - I New York.........
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:40
The only problem with New Orleans was getting propositioned to go into a strip club at 10 in the morning when I was with my wife and her friend.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:50
You get that..........but only on Bourbon St.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 17:32
We grew up in the 60s and 70s somewhat immersed in "gun culture".  We all played with toy guns.  Our Dads and all of our uncles hunted, we learned to hunt, we were taught respect for weapons and each other.  According to Slate , not right wing by any means, higher percentage of households owned guns in my childhood 1970s than now despite handgun proliferation in our cities.  They were all around me.... And yet we never shot anyone.  We did not see this craziness going on.  I think to blame recent events on inanimate objects is going to simply delay getting to the real reason some young people come of age able to commit such vile acts.  My cousin and I could walk down our street with a gun, toy, bb, or 22,  and nobody would even bat an eye....why?......because back then it was so incredibly unthinkable that we would be off to commit violence.  Today you can get in trouble for pointing your finger at someone in school.  And yet look at the irony of the result on the front pages. 

I have no problem with more restrictions on sales but that does nothing to fix broken minds capable of harming others with the complete lack of feeling we see these days..  In my lifetime we have moved from families completely capable of owning guns responsibly (Sorry, but I saw it with me own eyes in almost every family I knew) to this madness, all while the media pretends families and neighborhoods like mine apparently never existed.  That is not the result of any "gun culture" that existed in my father's day.  It is the result of this broken culture spawning sociopaths.  Just my opinion but I would be curious to know if anyone out there agrees with me.  That broken minds are more the problem than inanimate objects.

By the way I consider myself a moderate....and I realize that by PA standards that makes me a slobbering right winger.  But I am not a gun "enthusiast" or ideologue.  I don't mind restrictions and I don't mind if you wish to disarm criminals and ban assault weapons.  Go for it.  But I still wonder what are the unspoken changes that make today so different from what my friends and I experienced growing up.  And I wish we could start having that conversation in our politics rather than the useless one we are having. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 18:37

We grew up in the 60s and 70s somewhat immersed in "gun culture".  We all played with toy guns.  Our Dads and all of our uncles hunted, we learned to hunt, we were taught respect for weapons and each other.  According to Slate , not right wing by any means, higher percentage of households owned guns in my childhood 1970s than now despite handgun proliferation in our cities.  They were all around me.... And yet we never shot anyone.  We did not see this craziness going on.  I think to blame recent events on inanimate objects is going to simply delay getting to the real reason some young people come of age able to commit such vile acts.  My cousin and I could walk down our street with a gun, toy, bb, or 22,  and nobody would even bat an eye....why?......because back then it was so incredibly unthinkable that we would be off to commit violence.  Today you can get in trouble for pointing your finger at someone in school.  And yet look at the irony of the result on the front pages. 

I have no problem with more restrictions on sales but that does nothing to fix broken minds capable of harming others with the complete lack of feeling we see these days..  In my lifetime we have moved from families completely capable of owning guns responsibly (Sorry, but I saw it with me own eyes in almost every family I knew) to this madness, all while the media pretends families and neighborhoods like mine apparently never existed.  That is not the result of any "gun culture" that existed in my father's day.  It is the result of this broken culture spawning sociopaths.  Just my opinion but I would be curious to know if anyone out there agrees with me.  That broken minds are more the problem than inanimate objects.

By the way I consider myself a moderate....and I realize that by PA standards that makes me a slobbering right winger.  But I am not a gun "enthusiast" or ideologue.  I don't mind restrictions and I don't mind if you wish to disarm criminals and ban assault weapons.  Go for it.  But I still wonder what are the unspoken changes that make today so different from what my friends and I experienced growing up.  And I wish we could start having that conversation in our politics rather than the useless one we are having. 
To be honest Jim, there aren't any other than your perception of how it was back then if this giraffe is anything to go by:

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>