^ And even Can is quite accessible compared to many Krautrock bands Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 13:50
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ If he doesn't like the early Pink Floyd music, he will probably find Krautrock way too strange Tongue

agreed. and Krautrock can be a lot stranger than early Pink Floyd

So true...I have been really into CAN of late. Like KC, I am starting to really appreciate what CAN was doing. I would have to say I prefer CAN over KC....The music, lyrics, the jazz, the funk, the psychedelic of CAN is very appealing.

Strange music not for the faint of heart....LOL
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:32
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I'm really blown away by Yes' Drama! I expected not too much but what an astonishing sound, so creative and so much layers and sounds. Machine Messiah and Into the Lens are my favourites. I think I'll give this one an 8.5, a little less than Fragile and the same as Meddle is my opninion as you can see.

Nice to see that you enjoyed Drama, one of my favorite Yes albums and one of their most underrated. The crushing opening riff in Machine Messiah is easily the heaviest thing Yes has ever done.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ If he doesn't like the early Pink Floyd music, he will probably find Krautrock way too strange Tongue

agreed. and Krautrock can be a lot stranger than early Pink Floyd

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:12
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:10
you should eventually travel into the adventurous country of Krautrock as well; some Krautrock artists are listed under "Electronic" because early Krautrock dabbled a lot in this.

albums like "Känguru" by Guru Guru, "Phallus Dei","Yeti" and"Tanz der Lemminge" by Amon Düül 2, "Schwingungen" or "Join Inn" by Ash Ra Tempel, "Phaedra" by Tangerine Dream or "Hoodoo Man" by Birth Control or Faust's self-titled first album will show you what an extremely varied genre Krautrock actually is.

but a word of warning ahead: this journey is really for the advanced listener. early Krautrock is often very experimental

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:43
Yes I'd like to try that too, names I see passing all the time. Also Jethro Tull TAAB is on my list.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:36
Just glad to see young people continue to enjoy this music.

When you feel like you're ready for new adventures, try Gentle Giant and Van der Graaf Generator.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:28
well, when you move on to "In the court of the Crimson King" don't be discouraged by "Moonchild". opinions on that track vary greatly. BaldFriede (my spouse) and I belong to the small fraction of people who love that track

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:21
I still don't know Drama, I only bought Tormato a few weeks ago.

If you don't like KC's first album don't give up on them, every album is very different. Oh, and I think you'll learn eventually there are no final opinions about music Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:10
I'm really blown away by Yes' Drama! I expected not too much but what an astonishing sound, so creative and so much layers and sounds. Machine Messiah and Into the Lens are my favourites. I think I'll give this one an 8.5, a little less than Fragile and the same as Meddle is my opninion as you can see.

Next I'll be to In the Court of the Crimson King and Going for the One. For ITCOTCK I'm not sure I'll like it a lot but I'll definitely like GFTO, just a few listens to give my final opinion.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 19:56
My wife is a beautiful exotic woman from New Orleans, a Cajun Coon A$$...I found her in high school...Pretty mainstream place to me. Big smile 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 08:54
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Albums which are rated as top albums don't have their status because there are many better albums.

I disagree. It simply means they are to the taste of many on this site. However, many may not know these albums in the first place. And then there is a kind of mainstream of prog, both on the artists and the listeners side, which by definition many users of this forum belong to (else it would not be the mainstream). However, beauty often lies outside of the mainstream, just like you won't often find an exotic beautiful woman in your surroundings.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 31 2015 at 09:03

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 08:24
Because if you want to join the discussion on PA, you've got to know the path by heart. That's what I experienced. Not a bad side of this place but you have to know something about prog to join the discussion here. 
In addition, I still find jewels everytime. Albums which are rated as top albums don't have their status because there are many better albums.

Of course one will find it's own style, but it needs some time and experience. Look at my album list, I hardly know what prog is for one year!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 07:10
Why stay on the path through the forest if you can pick a beautiful flower or a mushroom that grows a bit off that path? True, the flower may turn out to be malodorous (the album is not to your taste) or the mushroom to be poisonous (the album really is bad), but that is part of the beauty of the adventure of exploring.

Edited by BaldFriede - October 31 2015 at 07:10

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 20:21
I agree Pascal...keep down the "classical prog" path and see where that leads you...also agree that when you get to KC~Larks you will find the path will veer a bit due to the experimental nature of KC.

It took me years to appreciate KC..I have yet to really enjoy material by Gong for example...I may never, but that is the beauty of music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 15:22
So many input indeed, I think I'll listen a bit more "classic" prog to have a kind of stronger base and then try some other genres like italian, avant-garde, etc.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 13:31
My guess is, as soon as Larks' comes to you, your world will open up with experimental and avant-garde stuff. At least that was my gateway when I was fifteen, and I listened to all the albums you've stated.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 13:22
There you have it... I read this and thought, hey, this will be fun to follow. I also toyed around with the idea of recommending some things to you, but then I wondered whether you'll be swamped by recommendations. I think I won't contribute to this for the moment and just encourage you to follow your own instincts.
When I was your age, I went to fleamarkets a lot to buy used LPs. There were some things I really wanted to have (I had read a fair amount of critics to make decisions, at the time there wasn't an internet on which I could test-listen to everything), but some I bought just because they were cheap, I liked the cover and only had a rough idea that the style may be OK for me; some jewels were there to be found by accident. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>