FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant Missing 8-Track master Tapes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 11:49
The other main point in remastering/remixing/reissuing older recordings in any format....is to keep these glorious recordings available for future generations....Digital technology will help this, sure there are still some things that digital does not do good, but it is getting better.

Some of these reissues are being done because the original recording/mastering were not done well. Back in the early 70's audio gear may not have "shown" these inadequacies. But with today's advanced audio gear, especially digital, it's clear these recordings are pretty bad.

Steven Wilson is just one of these guys taking great care to bring out more of the music that is hiding on some of these old tapes, Nick Davis is another one. His remixing work on the early Genesis albums is stellar....

Whether you like to hear your music on audio gear that brings out all the small nuances or tidbits or every sniffle of the musician, or if you are fine listening thru 2" laptop speakers.....Does not matter, but having these recordings around for possibly forever is very important.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 11:54
Originally posted by garfunkel garfunkel wrote:

Hey Micky, I think we're in the same boat.  I don't care much for high audio quality at all, even though I know stuff would sound better with the equipment, I just want the music!
I used to think like that, until I heard music from an high-end analogue set up. I've been working on upgrading my sound system since then, and it's totally worth it Thumbs Up
I have the SW's mix of PATG and I'm very happy with it: it has a great 5.1 mix and also the original stereo mix and SW's stereo mix on 24/96. I bought Octopus the other day Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12