Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Renaissance Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2016 at 08:59
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ you're right.  I was meaning they didn't go from being simple to complex, so that you suddenly heard Camp doing different melodies with the bass.  They did make a lot of changes within the melodic framework.  I don't agree that Sceherazade was poppier - even Vultures Fly High seems more straight on rock than pop.  In any case it's very refreshing much as Northern Lights was on ASFAS.

Vultures has the rock like groove but not the hard edge of a Black Flame.  I don't mean pop in a commercial/pejorative sense anyway; more like by elimination it is the only slot left.  By Scheherazade, they are no longer very folk and not much of rock is left in the mix either so pop-classical seems to be a good fit.  I'd have liked it if they had done more pop-classical or just outright pop songs, WITHOUT badly wanting another Northern Lights, which is what ruined their attempts to do so from AZD onwards.  Northern Lights just happened, they didn't try to write a smash hit that would get them to Top of the Pops and that is why it works. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 12:25
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Perhaps it wasn't to his taste and he felt like that type of playing didn't serve the songs. Just a guess.

Or that he didn't have the imagination because coming up with adventurous chords is more about composition than technical chops.
Yes, he wasn't thinking outside of the box. However, I said he was impressively melodic.
 I never said that he was a genius. Wink 

That has kind of been the (minor) problem for this band, as much as I like them.  It's also why I prefer their live compilations for the most part.  They did (and do) very well in bringing the songs to life in concert. 
I forgot this thread until just listening to Jim McCarty's Renaissance/Illusion Through the Fire album, which is excellent.

Regarding Jon Camp as a week link maybe in response for him trying to flesh out the late Michael Dunford's limited picking skills. Imagine If the Mach 2 Renaissance had an acoustic guitarist of the caliber of the late John Renbourn. Would that have prompted Camp to play contrapuntal and branch out?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 13:25
^ Hey Steve, so glad you are involved in this thread.  There can never be too much attention given to Renaissance.  Clap
I agree about Renaissance Illusion being a great album.  I also enjoy McCarty's "Out of the Dark" that came before Renaissance Illusion very much, while "Sitting on the Top of Time" that came after it is pretty good as well.  He has stuck to his hippy philosophizing in a way that seems authentic to me.

Dunford did play a fine spanish guitar solo on "The Sisters".  It's funny, I never thought about his limited skills, and assumed that the way he played was just what the doctor ordered for Renaissance.  But given the absence of electric guitar in all of their core albums, a more flashy acoustic guitarist might have been a good idea.  I doubt it would have net them more fans though

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 13:54
^Thanks Ken! I'm always happy to chew the fat when it comes to Renaissance, be it the Mach 1 or 2 line ups, and McCarty's solo reincarnations of Renaissance and Illusion.

Just to be clear, I feel that Mick Dunford was quite adequate with his marvelous 12 string strumming and 6 string arpeggios. I forgot about The Sisters, and the wonderful gut string playing by Mick. I wish he would have done more lead playing after that, but sadly, he stayed in the background where he might have felt more comfortable. He seemed like the quiet type. From the Mach 2 line up, I only had a chance to speak briefly with Annie, Terry Sullivan and the late great John Tout, backstage at a NYC concert in the late 70's. I spied Camp chatting up some girls while Dunford was literally by himself back in the corridor leading to the dressing rooms! 

Edited by SteveG - December 01 2016 at 15:11
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 17:51

Regarding Jon Camp as a week link maybe in response for him trying to flesh out the late Michael Dunford's limited picking skills. Imagine If the Mach 2 Renaissance had an acoustic guitarist of the caliber of the late John Renbourn. Would that have prompted Camp to play contrapuntal and branch out?

Wait a sec, I never said Camp was a weak link for Renaissance.  He was most definitely an asset and his thunderous bass beefed up their sound, which  may have otherwise come across as plodding (and seems to on Grandine Il Vento). Since the question of comparing Camp to other bassists came up, I gave my own perspective where I tend to also look at their compositional inputs and not just flat out chops.  I think rather than filling in for Dunford, Camp was filling in to some extent for the absence of electric guitar.  Be that as it may, I don't think adventurous harmony was something they were really after.  From what I have gleaned from interviews - and feel free to correct me there - they were all fans of classical music and, MAYBE, fans of the sounds of classical itself more than its complexity.  Where other prog rock bands tried to bridge rock and the complexity of classical and jazz, Renaissance were trying to marry the sound of classical music with rock.  Which is an attractive sound for what it's worth but at some point I'd have liked for them to have moved deeper into experimentation.  Judging from the live extended solos that Camp or Tout used to play in shows, I suspect that they just did not think about their music on those lines.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 18:19
^I think you have made a great point.  I always thought that I should love classical music but I think it's complexity and coldness (for me) always got in the way.  Renaissance seemed to offer a warmer more romantic vision, that still sounds classical to untrained ears like mine.  I found out that not all classical fans dug that vision when I tried to play Renaissance for them.  They laughed if you could believe it, made fun of it all the way.  BTW, I know I played them Trip to the Fair along with a few others. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 18:20
and Steve, great review of Renaissance Illusion
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 19:19

^I think you have made a great point.  I always thought that I should love classical music but I think it's complexity and coldness (for me) always got in the way.  Renaissance seemed to offer a warmer more romantic vision, that still sounds classical to untrained ears like mine.  I found out that not all classical fans dug that vision when I tried to play Renaissance for them.  They laughed if you could believe it, made fun of it all the way.  BTW, I know I played them Trip to the Fair along with a few others. 

Not a lot of classical music works for me either. I love Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, Bach's Brandenburg concerto, Vivaldi's Four Seasons among a few others. Renaissance most reminds me of the old Hindi film music of the 50s and the 60s. They too used a lot of orchestral instruments and the great Lata Mangeshkar who sang many of those classics also had a wonderful voice like Annie. I wonder if Annie's heard her songs; she once professed to love Indian music.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 04:08

Wait a sec, I never said Camp was a weak link for Renaissance.  He was most definitely an asset and his thunderous bass beefed up their sound, which  may have otherwise come across as plodding (and seems to on Grandine Il Vento). Since the question of comparing Camp to other bassists came up, I gave my own perspective where I tend to also look at their compositional inputs and not just flat out chops.  I think rather than filling in for Dunford, Camp was filling in to some extent for the absence of electric guitar.  Be that as it may, I don't think adventurous harmony was something they were really after.  From what I have gleaned from interviews - and feel free to correct me there - they were all fans of classical music and, MAYBE, fans of the sounds of classical itself more than its complexity.  Where other prog rock bands tried to bridge rock and the complexity of classical and jazz, Renaissance were trying to marry the sound of classical music with rock.  Which is an attractive sound for what it's worth but at some point I'd have liked for them to have moved deeper into experimentation.  Judging from the live extended solos that Camp or Tout used to play in shows, I suspect that they just did not think about their music on those lines.
Forgive me for paraphrasing your post but you did say: "That has kind of been the (minor) problem for this band, as much as I like them." So, it seems like Camp has been a weak link to you. Yes, it's reasonable to assume that he was making up for the lack of an electric lead guitar. However, we'll never know unless he makes a statement about it and I don't see that as forthcoming anytime soon, if ever. Regardless, his bass playing is a hallmark of the Mach 2 Renaissance sound. I happen to love it, but to each his own.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 04:11

and Steve, great review of Renaissance Illusion
Thanks Ken! It doesn't come close to your own great review, but helping to get the word out to Renaissance fans about this little known gem was my main motivation for doing another review.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 04:28
I meant the general approach of the band rather than Camp in particular which is why I had also mentioned Tout. And I also said minor problem so it was again just in comparison to their more illustrious contemporaries. As such, no, it's not an issue that turns me off their music.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 13:52
^Nice, as it is an appreciation thread. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 19:26
as I've said before, I love Camp's bass.  I definitely provided one of the only rock aspects to the band's classic albums, and, when missing, as in Grandine Il Vento, it is noticed.  Luckily, the rock aspect comes out in the live versions of those newer songs

Edited by kenethlevine - December 02 2016 at 19:27
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 19:48

as I've said before, I love Camp's bass.  I definitely provided one of the only rock aspects to the band's classic albums, and, when missing, as in Grandine Il Vento, it is noticed.  Luckily, the rock aspect comes out in the live versions of those newer songs

Maybe what happened is Keyes imitated Camp while performing the classics live but tried to play more in his own style on the studio recordings (of GDV).  He may have flipped back to a Camp like approach for the live performances of these songs because, yes, they are noticeably more energetic.  Another thing is they seem to do weird things in the studio these days that sucks the life out of the music.  I attended a concert of a very popular light music singer here recently and found that live she was a lot more dynamic than what the recordings captured and her voice had more heft (whereas it sounded thin on the recordings).  I don't know why they do this.  Not everyone does; Steven Wilson's albums have healthy dynamic range. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 22:31

Maybe what happened is Keyes imitated Camp while performing the classics live but tried to play more in his own style on the studio recordings (of GDV).  He may have flipped back to a Camp like approach for the live performances of these songs because, yes, they are noticeably more energetic.  Another thing is they seem to do weird things in the studio these days that sucks the life out of the music.  I attended a concert of a very popular light music singer here recently and found that live she was a lot more dynamic than what the recordings captured and her voice had more heft (whereas it sounded thin on the recordings).  I don't know why they do this.  Not everyone does; Steven Wilson's albums have healthy dynamic range. 

actually it's Leo Traversa in the concerts and the DVD.  It could be he plays more like Camp than Keyes did, but I think the whole band sounds more energetic.  That's a good point about the album sounding a bit thin.  As a result it suffers in comparison to the 1970s studio albums which were so grandiose and often used an orchestra, and of course the bass was so prominent
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 23:56

actually it's Leo Traversa in the concerts and the DVD.  It could be he plays more like Camp than Keyes did, but I think the whole band sounds more energetic.  That's a good point about the album sounding a bit thin.  As a result it suffers in comparison to the 1970s studio albums which were so grandiose and often used an orchestra, and of course the bass was so prominent

The 2011 Cards/Sch DVD did have Keyes and he did well with the classics and even that performance of Mystic and the Muse was epic, easily better than the studio recording.  By this way, Ren have always been like this.  Even in the 70s, their live performances improved upon many of the studio recordings and this was in spite of often lacking an orchestra.  I don't really miss the orchestra on say Running Hard whereas the tempo was faster and the delivery more intense on the live performances, especially in the mid 70s when they seemed to play everything faster than the recording.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 04:23
I just spun Illusion's Enchanted Caress after being unable to locate it for a while. (It was filed with the Yardbirds. A Freudian slip perhaps.) The album is comopsed of demos for Illusion's proposed third album. I find it to be underwhelming as McCarty was writing "more accessible" songs similar to what Renaissance did with the material for the album Azure D'or. Still, it has some high points. Is another review warranted?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 08:52
First post of the new year in this thread to share with you an interview with Sullivan that at least I have never come across before. 

It confirms some hunches I had arrived at and without saying much, I will quote the man himself:

"There was a bit of a Ringo thing going on in the band, I feel sorry about it now, as the band never did reach its full potential. John was a great musician and unfortunately was never given the credit he deserved, and Annie Haslam was obviously bursting with lyrics. Still, it’s too late to worry about that now."

"John to me and many others was the very heart of the RENAISSANCE sound, so his sacking – combined with the fact that I was spending all my time traveling, supporting albums from which I made very little money – brought me to the decision to leave and damn the consequences."
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 08:54
I also came across an interview of Annie done by a Dutch website where she referred to jealousy playing a big part in the band back then. This was mid noughties when she was into painting and done with the band. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 09:23
^^ Nice interview, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up I didn't know about Renaissant, I'll have to investigate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 38>