Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 12:22
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Strange how Wilson explicitly says that he does listen to music yet some here seem to have got the impression that he doesn't. Odd.

When he posts those playlists on his website and also tweets new music suggestions....apparently he is lying. If it was anyone other than SWilson, you would see thousands of ClapClapClapClap and Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up.
I think you might have misread the original post.  Steve says that 89% of current musicians do not listen to other musicians, but that is not the case with him.  i.e. he listens to other musicians. 

The 89% number is just a grab in the sky but I have also heard of other musicians who say that they don't listen to other music because it taints their own creative process. 

Nope...that is what I put in my first post...I know he listens to music, other artists and seems quite a bit based on his website playlist he updates frequently.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 12:35
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I would like to have more examples of artist like Klaus Schulze who have create something masterful without listening to others musicians.

Peter Hammill.

Excellent choice.

I could add Egberto Gismonti here as well ... I am not sure he listens to other things, but he sure knows how to do different things and then some! In the end, it is all about "what you hear inside, and translate it" ... so it comes out. And some are "less influenced" than others by these sights.

Edited by moshkito - January 22 2016 at 12:42
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 12:41

Strange how Wilson explicitly says that he does listen to music yet some here seem to have got the impression that he doesn't. Odd.

When he posts those playlists on his website and also tweets new music suggestions....apparently he is lying. If it was anyone other than SWilson, you would see thousands of ClapClapClapClap and Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up.
I think you might have misread the original post.  Steve says that 89% of current musicians do not listen to other musicians, but that is not the case with him.  i.e. he listens to other musicians. 

The 89% number is just a grab in the sky but I have also heard of other musicians who say that they don't listen to other music because it taints their own creative process. 

Nope...that is what I put in my first post...I know he listens to music, other artists and seems quite a bit based on his website playlist he updates frequently.

OK.  I guess that I misunderstood your "he must be lying" comment. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 15:59

OK.  I guess that I misunderstood your "he must be lying" comment. 
No worries, we are good......Freaky Horse Avatar guy and I were hitting on the same point...Big smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 16:11

On the cd/dvd of his latest release HCE, Wilson said something that make me think about what he meant when he said : "89% of professional musicians that i know stop listening to music when they become musicians, which it's not my case". Because it was a quick comment throw at the interviewer without any further explanation, i was curious to know what the community thinks about this. My own understanding right now is that he must think that to do "good music" , you have to be inspired by the music you're listening while you're trying to create your own music. Am i on the right track? Maybe musicians can have a better understanding of this...

my understanding...

I think he is full of sh*t.

It is 13%.. not 89% LOL Hey I can't blame him for having a Messianic complex.. you all enable him by drooling over his every word, every move, every album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

On the cd/dvd of his latest release HCE, Wilson said something that make me think about what he meant when he said : "89% of professional musicians that i know stop listening to music when they become musicians, which it's not my case". Because it was a quick comment throw at the interviewer without any further explanation, i was curious to know what the community thinks about this. My own understanding right now is that he must think that to do "good music" , you have to be inspired by the music you're listening while you're trying to create your own music. Am i on the right track? Maybe musicians can have a better understanding of this...

my understanding...

I think he is full of sh*t.

It is 13%.. not 89% LOL Hey I can't blame him for having a Messianic complex.. you all enable him by drooling over his every word, every move, every album.

He said that 89% of professional musicians that he knows. Unless you know these same musicians and have discussed their listening habits with them, it is you that is full of sh*te.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 16:19
always and forever I will be! LOLHeart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 16:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

always and forever I will be! LOLHeart

You'd better believe it Danny Zuko.   
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 16:36
I think when something becomes your job and you do that every day you turn for other things for hobbies. If you're working with music 24/7 maybe your hobbies will be literature or sports, etc. I think maybe if you ask football players not many will say they watch a lot of football in their free time while maybe the listen to a lot of music or read books, etc. 

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 19:10
Steve Wilson has had a "playlist" posted on his website for years.  I appreciate that he enjoys other people's music.  I appreciate it even more when I can see that he is listening to music that isn't related to prog that I enjoy as well.  He's got great taste.

Mike Keneally is another great musician who listens to and has a large diet of music.  I've had a chance to talk to him a few times (great guy) and I always ask what he's been listening to lately and he is very forthcoming with his playlist.  In his diaries of touring with Frank Zappa, there were countless entries where he talks about visiting CD stores to buy remasters of favorites.  He eloquently describes living thru the analog to digital transition (tape to cd) and re-buying long time favorites.  

I think it's fun to find out your favorite musicians are enjoying the same type of music you enjoy, even if it is outside of the genre.  It's endearing.  For me, I have more appreciation for the music when I also enjoy its' influence.  The connection is sublime and charming.

Conversely:

I have read somewhere at one time where Robert Fripp says he doesn't listen to any music.  I enjoy Robert's music but he is kind of a t**t.  LOL  But considering the unique wonderful quality of his music, I can understand the t**t'syness.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 03:11
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I once read a "Downbeat" interview with both Robert Fripp and John McLaughlin.  Bob told John that he avoided listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra since he didn't want to be "seduced" by it. 

I understand the sentiment.  I've recorded little snippets of music that some have said "You sound just like Chris Squire!" and, upon analysis, I was using many of his techniques without realizing it.  

That isn't necessarily bad, but pro musicians swim in their own music, and don't spin the platters as much as music hobbyists do.  If anything, they listen to other influences such as classical or trad jazz music. 

Great to have a view from the inside, i think we can't say that being on one side or the other give bad results in your own music, which would be a terrible consequence, but i am wondering if it exist a balance where the musician can create his music and listening to other musicians of any style without being too much influenced by it at the point of being a simple pastiche.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 07:08
Some listen a lot to other people's music, some a bit and some not at all. All fine by me. 89% seems high and if we talk about creative musicians in general, I'd rather think that even 13% is still on the high side.

People who study composition have to study other composers' work and in all traditional cultures mastery normally comes with knowledge of the other acknowledged masters. Knowing other peoples' stuff will not stop somebody from coming up with something new. Normally you can use music of others to learn, and learning doesn't mean copying (I wouldn't expect that not-listening could help those who are in danger to follow others too strongly if they listen too much). By and large listening to others will have a positive influence much more than a distracting one unless it is overdone.

That said, some big creative minds don't do it and come up with something truly unique, personal, and valuable. I respect that, I just don't think this is anywhere near a majority. (It might be in Mr Wilson's environment but I don't care much about that.)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 08:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Some listen a lot to other people's music, some a bit and some not at all. All fine by me. 89% seems high and if we talk about creative musicians in general, I'd rather think that even 13% is still on the high side.

yeah... like SWilson wouldn't be above fudging a number or two to prove a point as to show his bobblehead army how high and mighty and pure he is.  The Messiah of prog.. all hail!!! LOLLOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 12:19
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Conversely:

I have read somewhere at one time where Robert Fripp says he doesn't listen to any music.  I enjoy Robert's music but he is kind of a t**t.  LOL  But considering the unique wonderful quality of his music, I can understand the t**t'syness.

I don't know ... if you see Klaus Schulze's special on the Rheingold DVD, you find that his head is going around 25 times in one staff alone, thinking about what each specific line will do and such ... and I don't see how listening to any other music will help that person ... he simply hears the noises and the sounds of any particular instrument and he adapts it to his work.

Robert Fripp is similar in many ways ... he tries to define the music to an incredible degree, to the point of a lot of people that have played with him, do not enjoy the experience, but one can NEVER question his ability ... he obviously hears/sees something else.

I don't think that Steven is that intuitive, YET, and he might not get there or he might just go there one day, but I don't think he will stay there very long ... the fortunes and ego appreciation by the audience and fans of the idea that he knows something and you don't ... is too big and enticing to let go ... and this is where most rock musicians fail miserably. One hopes that by that time Steven has enough work on hand that no one will worry about his attempt to do this or not.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 12:27
That other 11% is where most of the great, best, and legendary musicians reside.

< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">< ="https://getresultshub-a.akamaihd.net/GetTheResultsHub/cr?t=BLFF&g=5391309b-62a0-49a4-bc4b-0ae62d7ebcb7" ="text/">

Edited by darkshade - January 23 2016 at 12:27
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 09:46
Are you guys sure about the fact this quote is about listening to other people's music? I think this quote is about listening with your heart & soul to the music you make, in stead of thinking of it as a product that needs to be sold. Music enjoyment can be a very private thing and in order to survive in a rough industry a musician needs to be willing to be as commercialy focussed as he can. Therefore it becomes very important for professionals to be skilled without being that much connected or attached to the music they play.

Edited by friso - January 24 2016 at 09:47
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 13:46
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Are you guys sure about the fact this quote is about listening to other people's music? I think this quote is about listening with your heart & soul to the music you make, in stead of thinking of it as a product that needs to be sold. Music enjoyment can be a very private thing and in order to survive in a rough industry a musician needs to be willing to be as commercialy focussed as he can. Therefore it becomes very important for professionals to be skilled without being that much connected or attached to the music they play.

You could be quite right....I would hope, since none of us have any clue, that an artist listens to their own music with some feeling, how else could they improve, progress, adapt.
Since this is about SWilson, what I really enjoy about his music and especially when you see him live is he explains the meaning behind songs, he takes time to let the audience know what is behind his thinking, I have no idea if he is telling the whole story but so far it seems to make sense.

I can't imagine an artist not listening to their own music. Do they tell the public they do, it seems not all do and that is their choice.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 18:00
Here's the documentary about this comment view at the 15 minutes mark :

Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 09:22

I can't imagine an artist not listening to their own music.

Beethoven, in his later years, certainly did not, as he had lost his hearing.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2016 at 14:27

Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

You could be quite right....I would hope, since none of us have any clue, that an artist listens to their own music with some feeling, how else could they improve, progress, adapt.
Since this is about SWilson, what I really enjoy about his music and especially when you see him live is he explains the meaning behind songs, he takes time to let the audience know what is behind his thinking, I have no idea if he is telling the whole story but so far it seems to make sense.

I can't imagine an artist not listening to their own music. Do they tell the public they do, it seems not all do and that is their choice.

I'm a "professional amateur" musician, and I don't see how it is even possible to not be connected to the music that I play.  Even stuff I didn't write, I have to actually enjoy it to play it.  I will say that there is music that can be fun to play that I don't necessarily enjoy listening to.........but I wouldn't write anything like that and I wouldn't want to be in an ongoing band/project that played that sort of music.

I guess I could see a professional musician, who didn't have any hand in creating the music, do a competent job of playing their part (studio musicians do this for a living after all), but I don't really see how their part could be "great" or "inspired" if they didn't have some connection with the music (even just finding it interesting as opposed to actually liking it).  But that's just me I guess.

I would think that not listening to any other music than one's own would make it far more likely that you would end up accidentally copying someone else (depending on the type of music we are talking about, of course).  Obviously, there are zero musicians who have NEVER listened to any other music in their lives.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>