Topic ClosedAmerican Politics the 2016 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:32
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Over simplified, my ass. When you have a hate monger that claims for years that the African American President is not an American citizen, in order to play up to a supposedly forgotten majority, fails to apologize for it when he drops his accusation 6 years later and is eventually voted in as President himself, then that's racism in it's most lethal and covert form.

Might be worth your time to start reading about why conservatives are vulnerable to this sort of manipulation. I don't really care to argue whether Trump himself is a racist (he's said a lot of rather offensive things in the past, and since he never laughs, it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt), but it is certainly not necessarily applicable to the population at large.

The real issue is the cult of personality underlying it all. The Republican party hasn't just been goaded until they froth at the mouth; they have been conditioned to believe in not ideas but people. Trump supporters don't talk about how they are going to implement Social Security reform; they don't even have any reforms on offer. Instead, they talk about how Trump is going to fix things, writ large, and how liberals -- often pronounced as a portmanteau with insults, such as libtard or liberast -- are the root of all evil and want enact some straw man dastardly motive. You can chip away at ideas, like racism. Ideas have some fundamental basis in logical or moral reasoning. You can't chip away at a personality. That is what makes Trumpism truly dangerous.
Again, it's not Trump himself that's important to me but his base. Not understanding the Trump base is vital because its' the American base.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:35

To change the subject slightly: it seems apparent to me that Trump, being a business man, has to be in all this for the money.

We see bank restrictions lifted, ecological organizations threatened with destruction, their records destroyed, pipeline construction reinstated, and other things. This is boomtown for the multi-national concerns.

That means, as all this has happened so quickly, that the negotiations to all this must have commenced way before election time.

The backhanders to Trump for all this must be off the scale.

I wonder if there's any way to trace such payments through a myriad of offshore accounts and companies before such tracing will be outlawed or at least strongly restricted, which is bound to happen soon.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:37
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

@ SteveG: so, out of interest: what about Trump's claims that Obama is a closet muslem and that he founded ISIS? I still find those hard to believe, but I'm certain you can enlighten me here.

The Muslim thing has been going around since before he was even elected. Because of his name, his skin, and his upbringing which involved Indonesia, people thought he was a Muslim. I remember, pre election, seeing stories that Obama attended a Madrasa, I saw that on Fox News...

As for ISIS, that was just usual Trump sh*t. He makes up stuff. He did say Obama created Isis, and btw "Crooked Hillary was a co-founder"
He was taking the claim that Isis grew in the vacuum left in the region by Obama/Clinton actions and dumbed it down to 4th grade level "OBAMA CREATED ISIS!"

The sick thing is, when someone tried to say "Oh you mean he created the void that allowed Isis to grow" Trump said no, he means Obama literally founded Isis.
So to answer your question, Trump was taking an actual theory and dumbing it down and sticking to his guns, he never clarified or added nuance. It's his style.

BTW a logic that I never understood because most pushers of it never once mention Iraq. This vacuum just happened out of nowhere, apparently!
To be fair totally fair, Trump has also blamed Bush for the mess (but far less so). I forget the speech but I once saw him put Obama, Clinton and Bunch all together as for why we have Isis. f**ked up part is this isn't 100% wrong AND displays some more criticism of Bush than any other Republican will dare do.

Thanks for clarifying the Birther movement and ISIS claims, JJ. That saved me a lot of typing! Clap

The strange thing is is that micky is the one who set me off, and he's not even pat of the discussion! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:41

To change the subject slightly: it seems apparent to me that Trump, being a business man, has to be in all this for the money.

We see bank restrictions lifted, ecological organizations threatened with destruction, their records destroyed, pipeline construction reinstated, and other things. This is boomtown for the multi-national concerns.

That means, as all this has happened so quickly, that the negotiations to all this must have commenced way before election time.

The backhanders to Trump for all this must be off the scale.

I wonder if there's any way to trace such payments through a myriad of offshore accounts and companies before such tracing will be outlawed or at least strongly restricted, which is bound to happen soon.

As someone who is a businessman (a very small one), I can only see Trump doing all this for his ego. Or to compensate for something small on his person. But seriously, who knows what motivates the man. However, he seems to be the right person at the right time for his base.

Edited by SteveG - February 04 2017 at 10:42
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:41

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Jean, if you do not see a link between Obama's skin color and an unpresidented attack on his right to hold American office, they you are of the ilk of which I'm refering. Your own class of liberal dems that still think everything is the way it was polictically proir to Obama having been voted in as President. 

I apologize for my harsh tone but I'm quite sick of this demagogue, and of people reacting to him and his base as if they had a purely forthright political agenda.

first of all I am not a liberal democrat period. you should not jump to assumptions.

second I don't believe at all that things are as they were before Trump became president. had you read my posts this should have been obvious to you. why else would I speak of a new kind of coup d'état?

third: in a discussion it NEVER pays to use arguments that can easily be falsified. any Trump supporter would have held your claim of why Trump questioned Obama's right to become president against you and denounced you as a fanatic that sees racial conspiracy everywhere. mark that this is not my opinion; I am simply pointing out how what you said would be turned against you by a Trump supporter
Yes, Jean you are right. I apologize again for assuming you to be a democrat, or even American.

I actually WAS American for the first 31 years of my life and lived in the USA for almost the first 24. after living in Germany for 7 years I decided to take up German citizenship because I wanted to be able to vote here, and since I don't have any of the necessary prerequisites to hold double citizenship under German law I had to give up my American citizenship

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:43

Jean, if you do not see a link between Obama's skin color and an unpresidented attack on his right to hold American office, they you are of the ilk of which I'm refering. Your own class of liberal dems that still think everything is the way it was polictically proir to Obama having been voted in as President. 

I apologize for my harsh tone but I'm quite sick of this demagogue, and of people reacting to him and his base as if they had a purely forthright political agenda.

first of all I am not a liberal democrat period. you should not jump to assumptions.

second I don't believe at all that things are as they were before Trump became president. had you read my posts this should have been obvious to you. why else would I speak of a new kind of coup d'état?

third: in a discussion it NEVER pays to use arguments that can easily be falsified. any Trump supporter would have held your claim of why Trump questioned Obama's right to become president against you and denounced you as a fanatic that sees racial conspiracy everywhere. mark that this is not my opinion; I am simply pointing out how what you said would be turned against you by a Trump supporter
Yes, Jean you are right. I apologize again for assuming you to be a democrat, or even American.

I actually WAS American for the first 31 years of my life and lived in the USA for almost the first 24. after living in Germany for 7 years I decided to take up German citizenship because I wanted to be able to vote here, and since I don't have any of the necessary prerequisites to hold double citizenship under German law I had to give up my American citizenship
Thank you for clarifying that. I hope that you accepted my apology.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:44
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Over simplified, my ass. When you have a hate monger that claims for years that the African American President is not an American citizen, in order to play up to a supposedly forgotten majority, fails to apologize for it when he drops his accusation 6 years later and is eventually voted in as President himself, then that's racism in it's most lethal and covert form.

Might be worth your time to start reading about why conservatives are vulnerable to this sort of manipulation. I don't really care to argue whether Trump himself is a racist (he's said a lot of rather offensive things in the past, and since he never laughs, it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt), but it is certainly not necessarily applicable to the population at large.

The real issue is the cult of personality underlying it all. The Republican party hasn't just been goaded until they froth at the mouth; they have been conditioned to believe in not ideas but people. Trump supporters don't talk about how they are going to implement Social Security reform; they don't even have any reforms on offer. Instead, they talk about how Trump is going to fix things, writ large, and how liberals -- often pronounced as a portmanteau with insults, such as libtard or liberast -- are the root of all evil and want enact some straw man dastardly motive. You can chip away at ideas, like racism. Ideas have some fundamental basis in logical or moral reasoning. You can't chip away at a personality. That is what makes Trumpism truly dangerous.

This! This is it.
Anyone who's ever interacted with Trumpers can see it. They would just gush over him. No matter what you point out. Even when you explain how he wont do the ban (.....) or cant build the wall, legal challenges etc etc they didn't care. Just went on about him. All his hypocrisies and benefiting from Chinese labor. They didn't care. It was all about him. They love him. He is a true blue cult of personality indeed.

You're right, as is SteveG, this aspect it what makes him different. Dangerous and difficult.
It's like Reagan but far more extreme. It's why I think the only way he may fall is an economic crash and how he handles it. Because the die hards will never waver. He can shoot them, pee in the wound and laugh at em and they'll still vote for him. But die hards are not the majority (hell he didn't even get close a majority). If things go down the crapper I hope the rust belt and moderate/sane Republicans turn against. As depressing as all this is it really wouldn't have taken much to have gotten a Clinton win. I'll keep the faith.

Oh and I agree, the "Is Trump actually racist?" thing is a distraction. I have no care either. I'd not be surprised if he is, given his past actions and his upbringing. Then again he may not be. If he's not racist, but is pandering solely for his gain I almost would find that sicker. But yes, it doesn't matter what he believes, it's how he governs.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:46

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

@ SteveG: so, out of interest: what about Trump's claims that Obama is a closet muslem and that he founded ISIS? I still find those hard to believe, but I'm certain you can enlighten me here.

The Muslim thing has been going around since before he was even elected. Because of his name, his skin, and his upbringing which involved Indonesia, people thought he was a Muslim. I remember, pre election, seeing stories that Obama attended a Madrasa, I saw that on Fox News...

As for ISIS, that was just usual Trump sh*t. He makes up stuff. He did say Obama created Isis, and btw "Crooked Hillary was a co-founder"
He was taking the claim that Isis grew in the vacuum left in the region by Obama/Clinton actions and dumbed it down to 4th grade level "OBAMA CREATED ISIS!"

The sick thing is, when someone tried to say "Oh you mean he created the void that allowed Isis to grow" Trump said no, he means Obama literally founded Isis.
So to answer your question, Trump was taking an actual theory and dumbing it down and sticking to his guns, he never clarified or added nuance. It's his style.

BTW a logic that I never understood because most pushers of it never once mention Iraq. This vacuum just happened out of nowhere, apparently!
To be fair totally fair, Trump has also blamed Bush for the mess (but far less so). I forget the speech but I once saw him put Obama, Clinton and Bunch all together as for why we have Isis. f**ked up part is this isn't 100% wrong AND displays some more criticism of Bush than any other Republican will dare do.

Thanks for clarifying the Birther movement and ISIS claims, JJ. That saved me a lot of typing! Clap

The strange thing is is that micky is the one who set me off, and he's not even pat of the discussion! LOL

That's Mick for ya! Would get me wound up hotter than the Sun over how arrogant and sure he was about the election. When I ask soooooo how did all that he go, literally leaves one line "Eh guess I was wrong watcha gunna do?" and pretend his months of commentary never happened. lol 
I do love ya Mick.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:50

Thank you for clarifying that. I hope that you accepted my apology.

I was not even offended so no apology is necessary

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:52
As I've said, I myself cannot put aside race as underlying the Trump base. This does not need to be overt, only the nostalgia for 1950's America. That, along with the memories of a once thriving working class that is forever gone. Trump has tapped into that mindset brilliantly.

I will sign off by saying again that we American Dems need to understand the Trump base better. After all, they are us.

Edited by SteveG - February 04 2017 at 10:55
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:55

Again, it's not Trump himself that's important to me but his base. Not understanding the Trump base is vital because its' the American base.

My point is that the base doesn't stand for race, or racism, or really much of anything. Opposing them on the basis of happenstance (like race) doesn't offer a means of addressing our divide, and it also plays into their corrupted narrative and galvanizes them around their own great nothing. If you just stoke the fires of this internecine culture war, eventually, the conflict is going nuclear.

Maybe it's unavoidable, though. Maybe the second American Civil War is coming, and the history books will write how the once-proud USA was balkanized by idiocy (and then the next chapter will be the cold war between the Republic of California and the People's Democratic Republic of Texas Wink).
Hail Eris!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:56
If you believe what his former top campaign adviser said, and I do, Trump was originally a protest vote, out to enhance his brand. Supposedly they would've been elated to make double digits in the polling. It was leaked later that Trump probably didn't expect to win, and when he dropped out was gunna endorse Christie.
It was indeed all about his $ and ego.

I mean, who wins and still wants to dispute the election? The man is President and needs to prove no he really DID win the pop vote! Sure this is partly a distraction, but does anyone think he doesn't mean it?

He managed to take it all the way and is rewarding himself. Gets all the attention he can possibly dream of, and will enhance all his businesses. He wont harm his middle east interests, nor has he actually taken actions against China. He will let his stocks soar with deregulation, and I've read even his infrastructure plan while a good idea would be a boon for people, like himself. He gave campaign funds to his properties and continues to do so. The country, if not world, is a vehicle for him now. Pence, Bannon, Paul Ryan, Reince can all duke it out for what they can get done, he doesn't care.

When the b*****d is done he will get book deals, speaking tours. If it wasn't for the very real impact he will have, I'd say the worst part of all this is Trump got away with it. He f**king won...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:00
That is kind of what Howard Stern says here.  http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/02/media/kfile-stern-on-trump/index.html

Trump wants an investigation because he really doesn't want to be president and is hoping that an investigation will make Hillary president.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:04

As I've said, I myself cannot put aside race as underlying the Trump base. This does not need to be overt, only the nostalgia for 1950's America. That, along with the memories of a once thriving working class that is forever gone. Trump has tapped into that mindset brilliantly.

I will sign off by saying again that we American Dems need to understand the Trump base better. After all, they are us.

Absolutely.

And it should happen ASAP. I am infuriated at this "Eh demographics, let's just wait 20-30 years and all will be fine" Because accepting 20 years of Tea Party/Populist conservatism is a wonderful idea, just like winning the WH but remaining in the minority of Congress as you box yourself into a coastal urban party.

Booker vs Warren. Both has its pros and cons. One though, is a donor class/big business Democrat. I hope the Party, voters, and media really simmer on 2016 and think hard about choices in the future. Sadly, the way many still blame everything on Earth but never Clinton, or still push weirdly un-Democratic ideals all so the party can win...worries me lessons will not be learned.

I'm calling it a day as well. Gotta reload for the next Trump horror
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:07
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

That is kind of what Howard Stern says here.  http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/02/media/kfile-stern-on-trump/index.html

Trump wants an investigation because he really doesn't want to be president and is hoping that an investigation will make Hillary president.
I was saving this for the right post! 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:14
aw, poor widdle itsy bitsy Don just wants to be loved, the poor widdle boy. someone give him a pacifier so he stops shouting

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:50

aw, poor widdle itsy bitsy Don just wants to be loved, the poor widdle boy. someone give him a pacifier so he stops shouting

Sad to say, that's basically it!
And the damage it may cause to the US and world makes it all the sadder.

I mentioned next Trump horror. Seems he is kicking around the idea of "totally destroying" the law that forbids political speeches by churches and other tax exempt religious organizations.
Because he is giving the people what they want, and also ensuring fundamentalists can sleep easy about him.

Now don't get me wrong, while it's not official I already think of churches as semi political, and they basically already push politicians but this would of course be a scary move, to have churches and $ becoming intertwined.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 14:33

Howard Stern said:
"I remember saying to him when he announced his presidency, I remember being quite amazed, because I remember him being for Hillary Clinton," 
Stern also said that he doesn't believe Trump has had a change of heart on issues like abortion, but is instead playing to his base.

I wonder how much close to the nuclear button a man with his temperament might be.

And up to which extent Trump's personality issues might stir him towards tapping into whatever powerful mindset he happens to meet on his base? 

Edited by Tillerman88 - February 04 2017 at 14:37
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:01

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Warren? The age of reasonable politics is over. Time to get someone that appeals to blacks and latinos on a virseral level or have Trump rule for eight long years. Seriously.

*spits coffee on the screen*

I think we have differing views on Warren Steve.  She is a tiger man, and her politics.. exactly the type the that will appeal to the youth, minorities, and the emerging ascendant leftist wing of the party. As well as inpire them. She sure does for this old jaded soul.. I'd go through a brick wall for her... or toss any nativist bigoted bible thumper through a wall for her.

She is like Bernie.. just more electable.... with much more personality and a hell of a lot more fire.

Remember man.... .populism cuts for both sides.  If the party learns anything from 2016 it is that the age of middle of the road policis are over. As I said, if Warren goes in 2020... they will likely win... the numbers and demographics favor us.  As long as we don't repeat the mistake we made (in hindsight LOL) in 2016, but would foolish to ignore the lesson of moving forward, competent experienced uninspiring middle of the road dull politicians will lose in today's polarized and irrational country of ours.
*spits coffee right back and despairs*

Let's get real and stop living in a bygone dem vs repub nostalgia land. American politics has become the politics of Race. That is why Trump is President. 

Until you, and others that think like you, understand that, we will have Hillary all over again. Except that that her name will be Jennifer Warren. And Trump will be still be at the wheel. And Dems like you will once again be scratching your heads at the end of 2019.

NO!!!!!  explain where those racists and bigots where in the past two elections where we elected a damned black man as President. Are you telling me it took a white women to bring out the bigots and racists..LOL

they've always been there... what wasn't there in 2016... were democrats. Which means they are still there... they needed to be inspired to vote.. fear of Trump wasn't enough

Hillary lost millions of votes to Libertarians and the Greens and it cost her the election.. she lost the election. Trump did not win it as he picked up with Clinton dropped.

Thus my point.. if the Democrats learn from 2016 and go with Warren.. they win... they go with Booker or anyone else.. they risk losing again to a man who every 3rd word out of his mouth should have DQ'd him from most rational Americans ever voting for the motherf**ker...

as I said.. the days of rational politics are over. Populism is in.. and to you have to fight fire with fire. Warren and Trump head to head... bring the popcorn...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:27
Yeah the issue is very complex, it cant be made so simple.

Honestly, I don't think the race issue is as blatant as people make it "Obama is black and that sent everyone nuts" as Mick said...that doesn't really sync up with reality. I think the cop issue is the YUUGE one. Ever since Ferguson, the cop thing has really set off a racial fissure.  Every single cop shooting FB turned into a borderline race war, with people making it very clear the issue was (in their eyes) white vs black. It opened up some dark stuff. I think that issue, with the GOP really hyped up, was the real appeal to racism. Trump's "law and order" theme capitalized hard on this, or his comments like "Shoot a cop. Death penalty." and how the cop killing is an "epidemic" that means Obama "has blood on his hands"

I think I posted this here once, but at a Barnes & Nobles back in NJ on the back of a bathroom door I once saw written in big letters "DI BLASIO HATES COPS LOVES N*****S" That pretty much sums up the situation.

Mick is also right, it's not like this stuff goes away. 2005 there was a small eruption over immigration and Wubya actually wanted a moderate, reasonable reform but his party rejected it and got that silly fence passed. Funny too that Bush really did very well with Hispanics, which was nuked overnight LOL
There was Pat Buchanan who today seems like he was just 20 years ahead of his time...
Reagan appealed to conservative working class Democrats by his appeals to race, law and order
So yeah it's always there, but people are complex beings. Many things motivate us and they change dominance over time, depending on various circumstances. How is it Macomb County goes from JFK/LBJ Democrats, to Reagan, to Obama, to Trump? Goes for Clinton once, then Bush. "Racism" can't be all of it

Edited by JJLehto - February 04 2017 at 16:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146>