Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Peter Gabriel your favourite singer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Is Peter Gabriel your favourite singer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [10.78%]
91 [89.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 08:53
He's up there but if I had to pick a favourite it would probably be David Byron, Serge Fiori or Ronnie Van Zant.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 09:22
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

One of my favourite CHARACTERS in prog but not a favourite SINGER.  I think he was able to compensate for what his voice per se lacked with his dramatization but as uduwudu put it, without a whole ensemble to support such an approach, it wouldn't work. Thom Yorke sounds way more powerful than Gabriel on his cover of Street Spirit and that just about says it all.  

Dramatization is an important part of singing. It's not just all about the voice. You can have an angelic voice and sound horrible if you don't carry over the emotion.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 09:39
My favourite singers are female, Bjork, Kate Bush, Annie Haslam. Among male singers, Gabriel would be in my top 10, I guess.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 10:24
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

One of my favorites, but not the top one.
AGREE
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 10:36
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

No.

Phil Collins is Tongue

Collins is a better singer IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 15:36
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

One of my favorites, but not the top one.
AGREE

Eminently reasonable position.....Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 16:08
I'd say yes. He may be not my favourite singer, but he is the archetype of some of my favourite singers.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 17:38
Yep top 5 for sure.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 22:28

One of my favourite CHARACTERS in prog but not a favourite SINGER.  I think he was able to compensate for what his voice per se lacked with his dramatization but as uduwudu put it, without a whole ensemble to support such an approach, it wouldn't work. Thom Yorke sounds way more powerful than Gabriel on his cover of Street Spirit and that just about says it all.  

Actually, I don't like his singing, and for me his dramatization just does it worse.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 22:28
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

No.

Phil Collins is Tongue

Collins is a better singer IMO.

+1
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2016 at 23:04
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Dramatization is an important part of singing. It's not just all about the voice. You can have an angelic voice and sound horrible if you don't carry over the emotion.

It's not ALL about the voice but the voice is still an important part of it and when I say voice, I refer not just to a tone (and definitely not to an angelic tone) but the power and possibilities of a given voice.  And it's not all about dramatization either.  You don't need dramatization to sing Still Got The Blues and I guarantee any number of rock singers would sing that song better than Gabriel.  Why?  Because if you strip away the crutches of epic structure and strong lyrical content especially in a narrative form (like Musical Box), he doesn't have much else to stand on.  When I talked about dramatization, I meant that Gabriel relies very heavily on working in the context of prog epic drama.  Forget Still Got The Blues, he wouldn't be able to sing Squonk as well as Collins because he lacks even that extent of throw in his voice.  
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 00:23
Imagine if Phil Collins - if he is the better singer - had been doing the vocals for Genesis from the beginning (or nearly). How different things would have turned out - or would they?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 01:30

It's not ALL about the voice but the voice is still an important part of it and when I say voice, I refer not just to a tone (and definitely not to an angelic tone) but the power and possibilities of a given voice.  And it's not all about dramatization either.  You don't need dramatization to sing Still Got The Blues and I guarantee any number of rock singers would sing that song better than Gabriel.  Why?  Because if you strip away the crutches of epic structure and strong lyrical content especially in a narrative form (like Musical Box), he doesn't have much else to stand on.  When I talked about dramatization, I meant that Gabriel relies very heavily on working in the context of prog epic drama.  Forget Still Got The Blues, he wouldn't be able to sing Squonk as well as Collins because he lacks even that extent of throw in his voice.  

We seem to have a different understanding of "dramatize". For you it apparently means "to express oneself in a dramatic or exaggerated way". For me it means "to express or represent vividly, emotionally or strikingly" (both definitions taken from http://dictionary.reference.com/). Try singing "Still got the Blues" without the latter; it will sound ridiculous.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 01:32
What if Peter Gabriel were my favorite gardener ?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 04:29
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Imagine if Phil Collins - if he is the better singer - had been doing the vocals for Genesis from the beginning (or nearly). How different things would have turned out - or would they?

The question is what role, if any, would Gabriel have in such a set up?  A big part of what made Gabriel sound great was his own lyrics.  Even he didn't seem to enjoy singing Banks' lyrics (see Firth of Fifth, he practically swallows the word scalpel because that line sounds so awkward).  So if Gabriel had had a Pete Sinfield like role, Collins would have been alright. But with Banks lyrics, Collins would have been uncomfortable singing more epic/dramatized material (see All in A Mouse's Night) and pushed the band to a more mainstream sound much earlier than it actually happened.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 04:52

We seem to have a different understanding of "dramatize". For you it apparently means "to express oneself in a dramatic or exaggerated way". For me it means "to express or represent vividly, emotionally or strikingly" (both definitions taken from http://dictionary.reference.com/). Try singing "Still got the Blues" without the latter; it will sound ridiculous.

I did mean it in the former sense in the case of Gabriel.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 04:59
To speak frankly, all my favorite male singers are black Cool
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 05:06

The question is what role, if any, would Gabriel have in such a set up?  A big part of what made Gabriel sound great was his own lyrics.  Even he didn't seem to enjoy singing Banks' lyrics (see Firth of Fifth, he practically swallows the word scalpel because that line sounds so awkward).

There actually is no "scalpel" in the lyrics of "Firth of Fifth". The line you probably mean is "like a cancer growth is removed by skill".

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 06:09
Yup, you're right.  The line remains quite awkward to sing.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2016 at 09:27
Gabriel and Bowie for me.

(So I voted YES!!!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>