FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemixes / Remasters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remixes / Remasters
    Posted: March 10 2016 at 01:33
As the world and it's oyster knows people only buy old music. Particularly as the old recordings are given the 21st Century makeover. Well there may be a thread for this (if so and you think the content could / should be reprised then add a link). But I don't remember such a thread. Where was I? Oh yes, remastered / remixed old albums.

Some are done by the ubiquitous and busy S. Wilson - his re-doing of Yes' Relayer plays as I type. I have my Japanese HDCD versions and this sounds quieter, and the details of what is on the tape has been brought out. It's quite something and can be a bit of a surprise at times.

Now I have for e.g. the pre-DVD releases of most things standard on this site. A considerable financial investment (never mind the emotional / intellectual) association of recordings.

I merely wondered how the rest of us thought of the newer versions. I know there are some who have become so attached to the sound over the past 1000 years that anything new, different is anathema. Progression implies change and some of us don't want that. Me especially.

There does not seem to be too much about this in the reviews and as these influence my choices SO much I just wondered what albums are most beneficial to the upgrade, which ones may not be (if any) and how the remastering alters perceptions. e.f PF's Animals and Genesis' And Then There Were Three remove the murk (a bit like hearing a  tape once the heads have been cleaned and de-magnetised) - another reason tape should be consigned to the dust bin of history) and yet the character of the recordings, especially Genesis remains. Foxtrot is a revelation as well. You can tell these guys were on a tight budget back in the dinosaur age.

Not forgetting the tape generation factor  - some knock offs that get sent around the world's pressing pants - already starting 2 generations from the master. Now we have digital sources providing the central common source for recordings - i.e. one may not necessarily need to go for the erstwhile lovely Japanese versions. Or do we?

Another consideration is the growing tendency to have blu ray audio included. This features just about all recordings pertinent to a release and may very well mean not having to ever get another. After the SACD / DVD Audio wars eliminated business and expression (well done record companies, another notable chapter in  your illustrious history) it may mean there will be real progress in audio quality.

PF's The Endless River is one of the few recordings where I could not tell the difference between the DVD and the CD. And though hardly prog rock the 2014 remaster / reissue of Bob Marley's Legend sounds sublime. Now my system is "only" stereo so I miss out on the apparently sublime surround versions so hearing / reading about all that would be good.

Loads of bands have updated their catalogue with some nice looking (and presumably nice sounding versions). Tull, Yes, Genesis, PF, endless reissues of ELP and the systematic technology reflecting catalogue issues by King Crimson. Apparently there are other bands but I don't know about them. Happy to read about someone new though.

Or someone who really needs their works remastered. Tangerine Dream for example... would've thought some were made for surround.

So, do we shell out more of the hard earned / won / stolen / inherited or do we stay with the old?

Oh, by the way I nearly forgot something important. Bonus material used as ... filler.. insight? Love it or hate 'em for ruining the album experience? I know, it depends on the album...

I look forward to the civilised discourse and mutual respect for opinions so prevalent in the sanctity of PA.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 06:26
Like most 'remaster' editions are a crap shoot as to whether it's an improvement or not. I've heard plenty that are NOT.

For starters there is a distinct difference between 'remaster and 'remixed'. Remasters tend to deal with compression and EQ of the already mixed master tapes, where as remixed goes back to the multi-track tapes which offers a whole lot more flexibility. For my money one of the best "Remixed" projects was the early Genesis catalogue. Absolutely amazing sound quality. Some of the Steve Wilson projects are good as you mention. After a few years of acquiring some of these 'remastered' releases I'll avoid any further of these kinds of releases in the future. I've heard way too many that just crank up the mid-highs and apply way too much compression. It gives my ears fatigue after just a few minutes and some are down right harsh.

We all know that as technology advances there is a tendency to revisit older times and attempt to move those recordings closer to modern levels, but most times it would just be best to let sleeping dogs lie. Of course there are always acceptions for troubled recordings. At the end of the day I think were at a point where most 'remasters' are cash grabs.

As for the "bonus material" (ie: out takes, rehearsals etc.), from what I've seen included it's not even for fans, it's for the OCD collectors only adding no real value to the average listener. I'm a collector and in some instances a completest (ELP, YES, Genesis, Peter Gabriel), and even I don't have the need to listen to a studio rehearsal or 3 minute radio edit of Close to the Edge.

Edited by JD - March 10 2016 at 06:28
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 07:21
But the complete studio version of "America" on CTTE is one of the best bonus tracks added to a CD ever!  I'd had this version only on a scratchy old Atlantic compilation LP that I dug out of a dusty bargain bin.
As for "remix/remaster" - JD hit it....it's a crapshoot.  But anything is better than my old Atco cassette copies of Genesis albums.  What a treat is was when the "Definitive Remasters" came out in the mid-90s.  I could finally "hear" what the band was on about.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 07:27
The only remaster I ever purchased was the 2003 release of ELO 2/Lost Planet, a 30th anniversary limited edition of ELO's second album. It was actually a remarkable improvement over the original U.S. release of this album. I've read elsewhere that the UK version of 1973 was far superior. I may have other remasters without actually knowing it since I have purchased older 1970s prog rock in recent years, never having it on CD before. But the ELO 2 purchase was intentional because I was curious if they could improve on the muddy US version.

That's pretty much it for me though. I've been spending most of my time acquiring lots of stuff I have never heard before from the over 9,500 bands and artists on PA, an endeavor that will never end (like family genealogy).

But I will be reading and coming back to this thread in the future. Perhaps it is time I look into this area more seriously?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 08:00
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Or someone who really needs their works remastered. Tangerine Dream for example... would've thought some were made for surround.
It's exactly what I though when I heard Phaedra two days ago. Isn't Steven Wilson a TD fan? Wink

Just like there were bad and good original editions, there are bad and good remasters (although many were influenced by the loudness war). I've been really enjoying the recent remixes of Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Rush, Can, etc. Some of my Supertramp CD's are awful though.

As for the bonus tracks, it's another reason why I prefer vinyl Tongue I agree that America from Yes is a good exception though Thumbs Up
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 08:37
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

But the complete studio version of "America" on CTTE is one of the best bonus tracks added to a CD ever!
Certainly there are exception, but they are not the rule. Very little (as a % of the total additional material released) is worth the bother, or even more importantly, relevant, in any sense of the word.
unforgivable74 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 08:57
I think the original 90's Genesis remasters were a revelation but some of the new remixes leave me cold. That beautiful Hackett guitar solo in the fast bit of DWTMK from SEBTP really came to the forefront on the first remasters. The remixed version leaves it somewhat subdued. Also, on the Collins albums, the vocals are sometimes over-prominent in my opinion. This is a good thing on Seconds Out - perhaps the best remix - because the vocals have always seemed a bit 'distant' on previous versions.

So with that said, I think it depends on the choices made by the person remixing. I haven't heard a bad Steven Wilson remix yet so I tend to trust his judgement.

As far as REMASTERING goes, I think without a 'remix' you are not going to get a great deal of difference from the first time something was remastered, assuming it was done properly. However, to contradict what I just said, I've just bought my 3rd copy of Atom Heart Mother on CD and I can honestly say that the Discovery remaster of this is definitely an improvement on the first 90's remaster.

Extra tracks, for me, should be left for an 'additional' CD or DVD/Blu-ray and never appear as tracks 'added' to the original album. Some are fab, some are merely 'interesting' and many are pointless.
Laughs as I clean my teeth, laughs as I rub at my eyes.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 09:42

hi,

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

I'm not sure that this could be done easily on the TD material and I think that the release of the early bootleg shows cleaned up some, is probably the better option ... these could be cleaned up, but the recording of these things was a one time only, and I'm not sure that these could be easily remixed, re-mastered maybe, but I think that the recordings were not exactly the best ... at the time.

Steven Wilson has shown appreciation for Klaus Schulze more than Tangerine Dream ... he is in a KS DVD for an interview and got to see some of KS's engineers work some details in his music ... first hand, before SW started his string of remixes and re-masters.

As I said before, when we heard the English pressing of Sgt Peppers and DSOTM, they did not need a remix or a re-master ... it was the American version that was a copy which was total crap by comparison that needed to be removed off the market! It was insulting to say the least. And we knew this way back then in 1974 ... so people forking out for being cheated and ripped off is not cool. I also did not find SW improved KC at all! And the best version is the recent one done in concert ... not a remix or re-master!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 11:47
I would love to hear a vinyl remaster for Captain Beyond. The original lacks a bit in the lower spectrum.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:13
Totally hit and miss.......I try and avoid "remasters", since as stated these are simply volume levels pushed equally removing the dynamics and with hard compression..They sound like krapp and should be burned. Thank you the digital evolution!

Remix is the best process to adjust all levels of the original recording. As you see I did not type "improve" as that is subjective, based on final media type and your sound system. This is why people like some and don't, a remix will bring certain sounds, instruments, vocals forward/back/center/L/R....Depending on what might need adjusting, so it will and usually does sound different that the original issue.

Take the LZ reissues of late. For me they are fantastic as all my Zeppelin has been played to death and the grooves, well are not grooves anymore LOL. Page did an amazing job IMO, on these issues and at least for me the vinyl versions brought back that big, deep, full analog sound that Zepp was known for...Everyone loved their sound in the 70's. The krappy CD remasters did not convey that 70's sound in the 90's.

The other versions I have been deeply immersed in are the Can vinyl releases.....All remixed from the original stereo tapes, as the liner notes detail. The music is well nothing short of brilliant!

I adore the Genesis 2008 remixes by Nick Davis, he did an amazing job and has really done some outstanding work of late. The Genesis were also cut to vinyl as 1/2 speed masters so for me the sound is pretty darn sweet! Essentially the veil was lifted from the original releases I had on Charisma label, very muddy sounding as everyone knows.

As far as bonus material, most of it I could care less for as it is filler, to fill up a 74min CD or fill up a 4.7GB DVD. I will say the bonus material on LZ IV was really nice, that Sunset Sound mix of Stairway is a treat! But yea I don't need 5 different versions of the same song as acoustic, instrumental, radio edit, live or studio out takes......
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:24

Oftentimes a disc loaded with alternate and/or undercooked studio versions makes an album unlistenable, especially those Fantasy or Blue Note label jazz CDs that run the same number three times in a row in alternate versions/takes that have little discernible difference. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 16:24
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Like most 'remaster' editions are a crap shoot as to whether it's an improvement or not. I've heard plenty that are NOT.

IMHO, the two "Immersion" editions of PF (DSofM and WYWH) are complete rubbish. No improvement over the previous editions and the 5.1 surround versions included in these editions are weak - they feel like glorified stereo versions to me pushed out to a 5.1 format - at best.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 16:49
Here's another example of WTF?? I just found out about.

Queen - Innuendo 2001 Japan Remastered Toshiba-EMI 1991

Does a 1991 album that's only ten years old really need a remaster? I don't think the technology took much of a leap during that period. Sounds like a real cash grab that one. I have the 1991 CD and I think the sound is fine the way it is.

Edited by JD - March 10 2016 at 19:12
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 19:54
^I've heard of albums from the late '90s being 'remastered'.
Magma America Great Make Again
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 09:26
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Here's another example of WTF?? I just found out about.

Queen - Innuendo 2001 Japan Remastered Toshiba-EMI 1991

Does a 1991 album that's only ten years old really need a remaster? I don't think the technology took much of a leap during that period. Sounds like a real cash grab that one. I have the 1991 CD and I think the sound is fine the way it is.

It happens, have no info on that Queen release...but take for example Rush~Vapor Trails released in 2002....Remixed in 2013 due to high overall volume levels causing clipping and distortion. Even though my original CD I thought was OK (I was too excited, just happy they were back to making music!!), it was not till 5-6 yrs later that I started to get tired of listening to that CD after the first 2 tracks....Gave me a headache!

There are some recordings that are just outright bad out of the starting gate on CD that should be burned and then remixed right away.....
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 18:01
^I have the original Vapor Trails CD and it sucks for production. It was definitely in the need for a rework, but only because Paul Northfield and/or David Leonard completely f#@ked it up. The remix was a welcome correction. A bit of a unique reason to remix an album so early on in it's existence.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 17:34
in my experience, bonus material is rarely ever that. There's usually strong reason why it didn't make the album. I think of Steve Hackett's Hercules Unchained - just silly and sung in the same vain, regardless of some crafty guitar work. I'm generally unfazed by the existence of extras on the remasters I buy. I'm primarily concerned (as I'd assume most are) with the quality of the remaster of the primary music itself.

Edited by Rednight - March 15 2016 at 17:41
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 06:51
So apparently Steven Wilson has recently (3rd March 2016) released a remaster of his 2008 solo debut Insurgentes. Yes you heard me right, a remaster (which SW apparently hates and as we all know prefers remixes) from the guy who is well know for making his albums sound crystal clear and virtually perfect. Well I have the original version and it sounds just about perfect to me, so why this is getting a remaster is a complete mystery to me. Confused    
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 07:14
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

So apparently Steven Wilson has recently (3rd March 2016) released a remaster of his 2008 solo debut Insurgentes. Yes you heard me right, a remaster (which SW apparently hates and as we all know prefers remixes) from the guy who is well know for making his albums sound crystal clear and virtually perfect. Well I have the original version and it sounds just about perfect to me, so why this is getting a remaster is a complete mystery to me. Confused    
Simply put...CASH GRAB!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 06:59
This remaster / remixing thing can really ruin the album buying experience. Is Ziggy Stardust best with the RCA versus EMI version, the one with the latest remaster, the one a few years before or the first (remaster). Or another example of ridiculousness - the Zeppelin compilation Mothership using the latest remasters. So you could get two copies and ... do they sound radically different? Apparently so, to the discerning ear.

This may all be down to the mess the record companies made of hi res audio. Instead of everything being in 24 bit / hybrid they make sure these "pop" records are still disposable products.

FYI classical fans I found a lovely 2 SACD of pianist Sviatoslav Richter performing studio Piano Concertos (Dvorak (Gm), Greig and Schumann (both Am). Utter heaven. Know hi-res - no vinyl.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>