Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for some deep space rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 13:30
Pink floyd while scuba diving in the marina trench
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 16:15
This thread confuses me
...but seeing as you're looking for something slow and psychedelic (I think?), I heartily recommend Janus' Gravedigger: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSj1Pn1zxs

Btw I've moved this thread to 'recommendations'

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 14 2016 at 16:20
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 17:29
Seriously acid mothers temple is some of the spaciest music ever
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 22:57
How about Algarnas Tradgard?
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 01:43
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^^^An interesting album that I think you have mentioned before,,,,,but not all that 'spacey' at times.....imho if you want that kind of space rock simply play some Hawkwind classics like Warrior On The Edge Of Time.
Thumbs Up
 I'm sure I'm guilty of mentioning it before Embarrassed

It's quite a fave of mine, the best BF album in my book.

I believe Wu was talking to me Tongue

Edited by ALotOfBottle - May 15 2016 at 01:44
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 01:50
You need yourself some Papir, a group from my country playing a modern reconstruction of Amon Düül/Ash Ra Tempel-type space rock though there's some of the more mechanical robotic groove reminding me more of Can and Neu! there. I think they're signed to the label ran by the guys from Causa Sui.

Also, if you're curious hearing what that sound filtered through post-rock's heavier corner as embodied by Pelican and Russian Circles would result in, then the German band Rotor might be worth a listen.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - May 17 2016 at 02:48
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 01:59
Toto - Dune, is deep space rock
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 02:59
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

^^^An interesting album that I think you have mentioned before,,,,,but not all that 'spacey' at times.....imho if you want that kind of space rock simply play some Hawkwind classics like Warrior On The Edge Of Time.
Thumbs Up
 I'm sure I'm guilty of mentioning it before Embarrassed

It's quite a fave of mine, the best BF album in my book.

I believe Wu was talking to me Tongue

Yeah, you are right...I missed the ^^^^^^^
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 09:11
For the OP....who might have not read this page of recommendations.

Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
vankita View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 12:53
Thanks a lot to everybody for all the replies, i thought this post was gonna die with only 2 or 3 recommendations. I'm still not fluent on english so i'll try to give my best and answer all of you as detailed as possible.

Originally posted by InstrupsychedeMental InstrupsychedeMental wrote:

Greetings from the manifestation emerging from the shell of my skull.

"a guitar doing some good trippy slow stuff" is an ongoing quest for myself, as well.
You commented something referred was "too fast and noisy" and I assume you must be
talking about either the Om, Ufomammut or maybe even Subarachnoid Space (doubtful on that last one, actually).  Anyways, both 'too fast' and 'too noisy' are in the ear of the beholder, as in subjective, so all we can do is take some hacks and hope to connect on something you like.

For Ash Ra Tempel, check out Friendship, at almost 27 mins.  From a later, less popular release but the track is really one long showcase for Manuel Gottsching's (sic?) guitar playing.

By the way, there is a 100% instrumental version of Maggot Brain kicking around;  it skips the metaphysically ambiguous opening comments and just gets into the track.  The feedback effects used on Eddie Hazel's guitar are eliminated so you can get a better feel for his work on the track, but it is WAY less trippy than the release on the original album.

I'm going to start with 2 tracks I absolutely love, both off of My Brother the Wind's 1st disc,
Twilight in the Crystal Cabinet http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=29639
The last 2 tracks on the disc, The Mournful Howl of Dawn & Death and Beyond total about 30 minutes and can be sampled here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ8gSd0Xmj8&index=4&list=PLqfcU9Ak2INu11nUGvBrArVwr7WK1R_n2
That playlist also has a killer, though short, track by Buckethead who likely has some stuff that you'd dig;  he has tons of longer pieces including many in the 15-30 minute range but he has such a massive output that extreme patient is required for anyone newer to his stuff, I suspect.  If that Mrs. Beasley track, from the above playlist, does anything for you then also check out his (longer) tracks Aunt Suzie, Liquid Mantis, Midnight Sun, Coastline, Ghosts of Broken Eggs, Heaven is Your Home, In Search of the... Volume 1, track 2 (at 14:50) and Invisable Forest (spelling as is--that one's 29:16).  At least a starting point on the Buckethead, to see if you like any.

Three new recent, extended pieces that worked for me are:
Khan Tengri-No Beginning, No End(9:23)
Sendelica-I Once Fed Peter Greens Albatross(15:39)
Spacelords-Black Hole(21:10)

To discover new music, and to both get and give these types of tips, is really why I signed up for these forums so I had to jump in.  Totally check out the My Brother the Wind and if it does anything for you then I could probably add a few dozen handful more.

One last thing, you posted this is the forum for questions on 'topics not related to music,' and you likely want to pick a more appropriate forum for a question like this in the future.
I'm still trying to find my way around, too.

I like you.
Ash Rah is not really my style but i do enjoy their work on that album.
About that Maggot Brain version, somebody already said what i think about it on it's comment section on Youtube: "orignial is a million times better, love this tune to bits but dont think that xylophone like sound is needed tryin to over complicate perfection is never goin to go well!"
I think i already heard some stuff from My brother the wind and it's a great band and i really like their style, just not what i'm looking for right now.
I'm listening the other extended versions and they seem to be nice but still not what i'm looking for.
Thanks for sharing man, i like your style.

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

this is defenitly not what your seeking but i post anyway

this is a song i think feature what i think in my mind is the most ideal guitar tone, and its both dreamy and sort of spacy, yet not what you ask for, its just the most fantastic guitar track

Don't really like this one, the little i hear of the guitar doesn't convince me.

Well....I like Causa Sui and Samsara Blues Exp for long spacey psychy jams with guitar....and a band from New York called 'Endless Boogie'.
All have long trippy tracks with extended jamming.

I know them all and love their work, but right now i'm searching for something more guitar based rather than lots of weird trippy sounds.

To me, this is the best space rock album of all time, period. This is perfect if you want loooong, spacey, overdriven guitar solos. In a way, a spacier version of Funkadelic. Have a listen to the title track, "Flying".

Found UFO a few weeks ago. Totally agree, they deserve so much more recognition. Awesome album, not just a few tracks, all of them are pure gold.

Try this:

Didn't like them, maybe just not my style.

Or this:

2spooky4me
Didn't like this one either, but it's art reminds me to Giles Corey (Different genre but darky and cool)

Thumbs Up

Frond is nice but more psych than space rock.
Wink

I like Hawkind, but still not what im trying to find.
vankita View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 13:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This thread confuses me
...but seeing as you're looking for something slow and psychedelic (I think?), I heartily recommend Janus' Gravedigger: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSj1Pn1zxs

Btw I've moved this thread to 'recommendations'

That's toooooo slow for me and not trippy enough, sounds more like a regular simple rock acoustic but hey that's just my sh*tty opinion.
Thanks for moving the thread, i didn't see this area when posting.

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Seriously acid mothers temple is some of the spaciest music ever

Indeed

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

How about Algarnas Tradgard?

Sounds kinda weird. i like it but is far from what i'm looking for.

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

You need yourself some Papir, a group from my country playing a modern reconstruction of Amon Düül/Ash Ra Tempel-type space rock though there's some of the more mechanical robotic groove reminding me more of Can and Neu! there. I think they're signed to the label ran by the guys from Causa Sui.

Also, if you're curious hearing what that sound filtered through heavy post-rock in the vein of Pelican andRussian Circles would result in, then the German band Rotor might be worth a listen.

Papir reminds me a lot of Ozric Tentacles which is nice! I really like it but didn't quite hit the mark.
I also like Rotor guitars but they might be a little bit fast for me.
I'm hearing the other sugerences right now.

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Toto - Dune, is deep space rock

What is this some kind of 80's videogame soundtrack? Reminds me of this lol
Totally not my space rock style.

For the OP....who might have not read this page of recommendations.

Cool

I like almost everything there which makes me really happy! Thanks for sharing that man.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 13:16
How about Vibravoid? They are a good contemporary German Krautrock Space band. I really like them and they've got tons of guitar.
vankita View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 13:20

How about Vibravoid? They are a good contemporary German Krautrock Space band. I really like them and they've got tons of guitar.

Really nice stuff and seems like i want to hear more of them, but i'm not looking for every trippy band out there; i'm searching something similar to the track Maggot Brain from Funkadelic. That's the kind of guitar i want. Slow, sustained and no drums nor other instruments giving the song more complexity than it needs.

Edited by vankita - May 16 2016 at 15:06
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 15:17
Originally posted by vankita vankita wrote:

Really nice stuff and seems like i want to hear more of them, but i'm not looking for every trippy band out there; i'm searching something similar to the track Maggot Brain from Funkadelic. That's the kind of guitar i want. Slow, sustained and no drums nor other instruments giving the song more complexity than it needs.

You're a hard man to please, but here's another suggestion:

I feel it may be too atonal and freaky for what you want. But it's worth a go!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 15:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
vankita View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 17:11

Originally posted by vankita vankita wrote:

You're a hard man to please, but here's another suggestion:

I feel it may be too atonal and freaky for what you want. But it's worth a go!

Really freaky and hard to appreciate but definitely worth a go. Is one of those tracks that you have to listen a few times to understand it :P

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This one is recommended by Youtube on Maggot Brain; already heard it and pretty much what i'm searching for. Still want more like this.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 02:55
Dragontears might be worth a listen, then, as far as Danish bands go. They had quite a few songs along the lines of what you are looking for.

Their singer/guitarist's in a ton of other groups, but this is the only one that regularly hits the OP's description. Øresund Space Collective might fit the bill as well.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - May 17 2016 at 03:17
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 15:06

Not exactly what you are looking for but I love this whole album......more psych guitar than space but it's great.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 15:10
One of my all time favorite long guitar songs.....country psych at it's best. Wink

Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12