Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIsao Tomita for Progressive Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isao Tomita for Progressive Electronic
    Posted: May 15 2016 at 15:53
Hi, I want to suggest Japanese keyboard player and composer Isao Tomita, the pioneer of electronic music ...

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 16:27
Appropriate that he should be given a check I think. He passed away 10 days ago incidentally, 84 years old.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 16:49
This guy is great. Sad to hear he passed away. I think he should be in the Archives as well.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 17:21
There have been a couple of other suggestions for him in this forum:

From 2006: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18447. Sean Trane posted here that he'd PM Philippe (in charge of Prog Electronic at that time) to see if he was keen on his inclusion, but the outcome of this enquiry isn't actually spelled out in the thread.

Then in 2008: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51095. Here Iván mentioned that Tomita had been discussed several times but constantly rejected, not because of his abilities, because ISAO is a fantastic keyboardist, but because he's more identified with transportation of the Classics into Moog and Synths, like Wendy Carlos - and also with New Age.

There are some more threads for Tomita in other areas of the forum too, which Slartibartfast lists in this latter thread, and TheProgtologist eventually locks the suggestion thread, saying the discussion can continue in one or other of these other threads.

Doesn't look as though he has much of a chance based on this.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 17:32
Beat me to the punch Yam
Tomita, just like Wendy Carlos, played classical music on synths...and very brilliantly to boot, but it is not progressive electronic in the way PA is set up. That is focusing on Berlin school and various different forms of synths with rock orchestration. Tomita's music is a different animal altogether.
I agree with past decisions.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 23:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Beat me to the punch Yam
Tomita, just like Wendy Carlos, played classical music on synths...and very brilliantly to boot, but it is not progressive electronic in the way PA is set up. That is focusing on Berlin school and various different forms of synths with rock orchestration. Tomita's music is a different animal altogether.
I agree with past decisions.

As much as I love Tomita's work, he is not a progressive electronic artist, although I would think that he was quite instrumental in how he defined his interpretations of classical music with various electronic machines, and the like, something that is not easy, when you consider how many lines a staff has in most classical music. In that sense he is progressive.

But being that most of it is all "classical" music and his is another interpretation, I would tend to agree with Guldbamsen's thoughts.

Maybe we have to create a special section ... of artists that are progressive in their own right. His interpretations on some of these works rival some of the best known examples of any of these composer's works. His Debussy and Stravinsky are superlative.

I would rather that "Progressive Electronic" be for artists that are creating original works. And this area could (easily) even involve some folks that do music for films!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 07:37
^ There are so many bands on this site that are so far from Progressive that I don't buy this argument in any way, shape or form. He should be include in Electronic because he, like Carlos is a defining musician in electronic music. He progressed the electronic genre IMHO and that is more than most.

I had no idea that had passed away and am grateful to have most of his recordings in my vinyl collection.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 09:39
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^ There are so many bands on this site that are so far from Progressive that I don't buy this argument in any way, shape or form. He should be include in Electronic because he, like Carlos is a defining musician in electronic music. He progressed the electronic genre IMHO and that is more than most.
As reasons and justifications for adding an artist who doesn't fit go, those are pretty weak. Disapprove
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 09:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

t is not progressive electronic in the way PA is set up. That is focusing on Berlin school and various different forms of synths with rock orchestration. Tomita's music is a different animal altogether.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 13:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As reasons and justifications for adding an artist who doesn't fit go, those are pretty weak. Disapprove
Maybe you should take your fingers out of your ears and listen a little closer. Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 14:19

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Maybe you should take your fingers out of your ears and listen a little closer. Wink
over the years that joke has worn as thin as this attempt to shoehorn Tomita into the PA
What?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 14:31
^Nothing ventured nothing gained. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply