Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat do the people you know think of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 11:10
My parents label prog rock as "unlistenable noise", but they describe any song that's over 5 minutes as too long and pretentious. My close friend enjoys Jethro Tull, especially late 70's albums like Songs from the Wood (he's a big fan of folk music) and the rest of my aquintances don't really care for it, sometimes they call my musical taste weird.
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 14:31
The people I know that like various forms of music have no problem with it and  have some prog in their collections. The rest don't really matter all that much because they aren;t into music much anyway.
My wife rarely says anything to me about it , my daughters don't either , and my son in law is ok with it but doesn't really listen to it much being more of an alt blues  and rock fan.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 19:39
My friends don't know what Prog is. They just like things like Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 20:13
My dad got me into it, so he of course likes it.  And my husband likes some of it (Rush mostly, though he'll tolerate other things if I play them).

Most others just don't have the attention span for music more than a few minutes long.  Though when I meet female singers, they all tend to greatly enjoy Renaissance (after they've heard it, which they never have before they met me).  One of my best friends is the only exception to that rule I can think of.

I know some traditional musicians - meaning orchestral - and they despise prog rock.  They think it's elitist.  Which I find funny coming from them.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 00:15
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

My parents label prog rock as "unlistenable noise", but they describe any song that's over 5 minutes as too long and pretentious. My close friend enjoys Jethro Tull, especially late 70's albums like Songs from the Wood (he's a big fan of folk music) and the rest of my aquintances don't really care for it, sometimes they call my musical taste weird.
I guess your parents won't be satisfied if they listen to Vomir (harsh noise artist)! Tongue
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 06:48
I used to get ribbed by family back in the 80s when I would listen to Rush. They didn't get it. These days I'm surrounded by people who only like pop fluff Dead

Before my daughter got corrupted by Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry, etc I had her listening to and enjoying, almost the entire Permanent Waves album. She also liked Red Barchetta.
I knew it wouldn't last but it was fun while it did Big smile
Project Nightscape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 07:56
Growing up in the 70s and 80s, my mom couldn't understand my fascination with prog. She was particularly put off by Rush's recurring use of the "man against star" symbol, ignoring its Orwellian implications and asking: "Why'd they have to put a naked man on the cover?"

My wife finds most prog intolerable noise. Standout exceptions include select tracks from Peter Gabriel's solo albums and Marillion's pop-inflected "Marbles," especially "Neverland."

My oldest son (and recent college grad) appreciates a substantial number of prog acts. I started him out on classic Rush and Marillion and he's since explored the genre intermittently. My youngest son, however, listens almost exclusively to rap and R&B. Thankfully, he tends toward the most progressive-sounding acts in the genre like Flying Lotus, Run the Jewels and Kendrick Lamar.

I generally don't try to introduce new acquaintances to prog unless they seem the musically adventurous type.
https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:07
I just have one story to recount, probably from the early 1990s.
A friend who had clearly rehearsed this and planned for just the right moment to say it, said the following, and I paraphrase as best as I can remember.

"You think that the music you like is unknown to people, and they would like it if only they heard it, but they have heard it, and they have rejected it".  

It was shared with the intention of stinging, and it did.  He was basically right.  I think it was a turning point for me.  Since then I have slowly but surely cared less and less about whether people like my music or not, but am really happy and appreciative when I have guests and I get some compliments on the mix I am playing (which is probably 70% prog)
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:12
I figure that getting to know me is challenging enough without throwing prog into the mix.

Most of the people I know are not really into music anyway. This is Kentucky, after all.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:19
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

A friend who had clearly rehearsed this and planned for just the right moment to say it, said the following, and I paraphrase as best as I can remember.

"You think that the music you like is unknown to people, and they would like it if only they heard it, but they have heard it, and they have rejected it".  

It was shared with the intention of stinging, and it did.  He was basically right.  I think it was a turning point for me.  Since then I have slowly but surely cared less and less about whether people like my music or not, but am really happy and appreciative when I have guests and I get some compliments on the mix I am playing (which is probably 70% prog)

Well said, Ken.  My epiphany happened when I either read or heard somebody describe Beatles as pretentious.  I was like, ok so why I am wasting my time anyway. LOL If opinions about music are THAT diverse, surely it's pointless to bother about who does or who doesn't like prog.  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:35
I know a few 'rock' fans who like some prog. Accessable stuff like Rush, but generally most people I know either hate it or ignore it.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:12

Not sure I agree that he was right.  I think most people have not "heard it" because I think most people just aren't paying attention to music the way we aficionados do.  They listen casually to music they come into contact with and they latch onto things they like and they stay in popular comfort zones.  I dont believe most people delve into more complex artforms and seriously explore everything, then reject it.  Same with film.  I don't think most people spend much time exploring deep cinema and then reject it, I think most simply absorb what's easy and don't spend the hours and years it takes to really watch all of the underground stuff enough to form serious opinion on it. 

That said, your reaction to it was right on.  Listen to what you love and don't be concerned what others think about it. 

andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:16
^This!
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:21
My parents like some prog, one of my friends (who is actually also on this site) is a big prog fan, and I have a couple other friends who enjoy some prog.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:38
I don't know anyone who thinks about prog at all.
None of my family listens to or even knows what prog is.
The same goes for the very few acquaintances that I interact with.
Before I retired no one in my office knew what prog was. If you asked them if they liked prog they wouldn't even know that you were talking about music.
Most of my neighbors listen to loud traditional Mexican music except for one older white guy across the street.
When he's sitting on the porch or hanging out in the garage he listens to 70s classic rock.
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:47
sadly no one i know really listens to prog. maybe one person. sometimes i feel i'm the only one buying it from amazon.ca.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 17:37
Outside of death metal prog, RIO, and Math Rock my wife will listen up to 3 hours in a row of progressive music she likes. 

Most my high school friends from the 70's enjoy classic prog like Yes, Floyd, Tull, and many others.  The New stuff?   Not interested.

With the exception of an occasional Dream Theater, Primus, or Tool fan, everybody else could care less.   
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 17:44
What it comes down to is this: no matter how much my friends like Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, or The Wall, they still don't like prog.   Most music listeners seem to consume music based on that which is issued, usually by favored artists but not always, rather than staunch allegiance to a genre or style.   Generally people like some but not most prog in the same way they like some but not most jazz or dance or reggae.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 20:00
^I tend to find that you could say that about lots of people about just about any genre of music, perhaps especially if they are a fan of someone in that genre.  I've heard people fight over Brittany Spears Vs. Christina Aguilera, for example (quite a few years ago at this point).  To my ear these two are essentially interchangeable, but to a Brittany fan or Christina fan, to equate them is sacrilege.

I'd say I'm the same way about prog.

That's very different from rejecting an entire genre!

A little off topic, but I've also heard people mindlessly repeat "opinions" on certain artists like verbal lemmings.  Sometime in the last five years (really don't clearly remember when anymore), I was at a family friend's house and Lady Gaga happened to show up on the TV in the background.  It was like a fricking bug-zapper.  Suddenly nearly everyone in the house stopped what they were doing, keyed in to the TV, and someone said with an undue amount of vehemence, "She's not even relevant anymore!"  Before the sentence was even over I heard the words, "not relevant" repeated all over the place.  I was too shocked to say anything.  But it instilled in me the very strong impression that people's opinions about music have very little to do with their understanding or appreciation of the music itself.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2016 at 08:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not sure I agree that he was right.  I think most people have not "heard it" because I think most people just aren't paying attention to music the way we aficionados do.  They listen casually to music they come into contact with and they latch onto things they like and they stay in popular comfort zones.  I dont believe most people delve into more complex artforms and seriously explore everything, then reject it.  Same with film.  I don't think most people spend much time exploring deep cinema and then reject it, I think most simply absorb what's easy and don't spend the hours and years it takes to really watch all of the underground stuff enough to form serious opinion on it. 

That said, your reaction to it was right on.  Listen to what you love and don't be concerned what others think about it. 

well put Jim
He obviously had an agenda and he did represent a segment of the population.  His statement that people have rejected my music does not comment on how much of a chance they gave it.

It reminds me of my college roommate whose LP collection said NOTHING about personal taste, as there was nothing in it that wasn't on the charts, and it was all over the map.  He asked me why he should have to delve into obscure stuff when the radio hand picks the best stuff for him.  Seriously.

But we have to be careful not to institute a prog version of the hit charts.  It should be ok not to like the BIG artists of prog like Floyd, Yes, etc, without being considered daft.  Music, like all art, is very personal, and sometimes a lesser artist speaks to one personally more than a better known one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>